• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

Had to go into town today for some errands and I did the standard Skylanders run while I was at it. All of the usual suspects were a bust except for Toys'R'Us which had only a few triple packs (just the one with Drobot, Flameslinger and Stump Smash), a few copies of Empire of Ice, several copies of Darklight Crypt and only one Pirate Seas. After my bowels reflexively evacuated, I quickly snatched the last Pirate Seas and threw my money at the cashier. So it was a good day!

Now I just need to find one of the Whirlwind/Drill Sergeant/Double Trouble triple packs and Cynder. I just redeemed some of my VISA reward points for a $250 Future Shop gift card which I'm going to use to grab a 3DS along with the Skylanders 3DS version. So that will get me three more characters that we don't have yet. Now I have to wait for the gift card to come in the mail...

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Pete, if they had Drobot, Flameslinger, Stump Smash triple pack, as well as Empire of Ice, it means said store DID have the Whirlwind, Double Trouble, and Drill Sergeant triple pack.

Joe Molotov

Okay, I'm casting in my lot with you guys. I shelled out $110 and bought Skylanders on the PS3, Whirlwind/Double Trouble/Drill Sergeant, Wrecking Ball/Stealth Elf/Sonic Boom, and the Pirate Seas Pack.

Bought the game at Best Buy, Pirate Seas at Wal-Mart, and the character packs at Gamestop.

Pete, if they had Drobot, Flameslinger, Stump Smash triple pack, as well as Empire of Ice, it means said store DID have the Whirlwind, Double Trouble, and Drill Sergeant triple pack.
No... no they didn't. << plugs ears with fingers and rocks back and forth with vacant, haggard look on his face >> Didn't just miss it. Did not. Nope...

Okay, I'm casting in my lot with you guys. I shelled out $110 and bought Skylanders on the PS3, Whirlwind/Double Trouble/Drill Sergeant, Wrecking Ball/Stealth Elf/Sonic Boom, and the Pirate Seas Pack.

Bought the game at Best Buy, Pirate Seas at Wal-Mart, and the character packs at Gamestop.
300px-LocationRubicon.PNG

Zing

Banned
I didn't like Pirate Seas. The level was far too easy. It had all those card games, which was different, but would be insultingly easy to anyone over the age of 8. I let my five-year-old daughter do those parts.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Okay, I got Skylanders for sale.

I ask for 9 bucks for each figure (costed me 8.66 but Paypal won't let me withdraw change) and 7 for shipping (taking a loss on shipping).

Here is what I have -

3 Double Troubles
2 Drill Sergeants
1 Whirlwind

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So, if I'm playing skylander x on the 3DS version of game and I level it to say lvl 7. I turn on xbox version, pop skylander in. will it be lvl 7? how does the game do this?

I'm asking because whats-his-face in 3ds version keeps reminding me that if i take my skylander to another realm, he will keep same level. is he talking about different levels within each version?

They will keep the level so long as you "re-load" them. Example, the guy you go to to bring in new Skylanders, lets say you bring in Drobot. When you're done playing with him on the 3DS, go to the guy and reload in Drobot. That will save your new level data, and can be brought to another version.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Ok that's what I thought. So just to clarify. I get Drobot to lvl 7 in 3DS ver. Replace him with a different Skylander. Then put him back on portal (game then updates data to figure?), and then take to 360 version?

Yeah, and you don't even need to load one in between. Just reload the same character, get the same result.

So, I officially started the game up after getting at least 6 characters (including the ones in the Starter Pack), and it's pretty good so far. Completed chapter 2. I'm trying not to rush through it.

Slightly off-topic, but I was sort of reminded of MagicQuest all of a sudden. I don't know why.

I didn't like Pirate Seas. The level was far too easy. It had all those card games, which was different, but would be insultingly easy to anyone over the age of 8. I let my five-year-old daughter do those parts.
Yeah, I finally managed to find Pirate Seas yesterday and my daughter and I immediately played through it. It was fun for the most part, but the number of times that you had to play those card games got a little silly toward the end of the level. At least the Pirate Ship figurine itself is awesome! I'm a sucker for pirate ships. My wife wasn't too impressed when I shelled out the cash for the Queen Anne's Revenge LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean set over Christmas. I can't believe that she bought my excuse that it was a present for our daughter! << steeples fingers >>
LEGO-Queen-Annes-Revenge.jpg

Get Drobot because he's awesome.
Get him NOW...

I love how it's beginning to sound more like a support group. *chuckles*
Me: Hi, I'm Mr. TheHutt.
Kindred Adults Obtaining Skylanders (KAOS) support group: Hi, Mr. TheHutt!
Me: I collect Skylanders.
KAOS: << mild spattering of applause >>
Me: At first, I thought that I would just get the starter pack and a triple pack. I figured that would be enough, right?
KAOS: << sympathetic laughter ripples throughout the group along with knowing glances at one another >>
Me: Then, I thought that I would just get one of each element. Surely that's all that I would need, right?
KAOS: << more laughter resonates throughout the room; one member shouts out "Don't call me Shirley!" >>
Me: But I had to get more! I wanted to... I mean, my daughter wanted to get more characters. Yeah, that's right! My daughter!
KAOS: << the nervous laughter subsides; an awkward pall befalls the group; someone coughs >>
GameMaster78: Hold on one minute there, Mr. TheHutt. Let's back up a bit, shall we? << GM78 turns to a stack of notes and removes from the top his seventh copy of the silver Stealth Elf which he was using as a paperweight; he briefly studies the notes >>
Me: Yes, Portal Master?
GameMaster78: You said that you wanted more characters? Which ones?
Me: << Mr. TheHutt twitches nervously >> AAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL OF THEMMMMMM!!!!!!!!
img_10230_everyone-gary-oldman-the-professional.jpg

Some of our wives are going to need one of their own. I pulled my wife aside with urgency and then popped the portal on the dinner table and began explaining to her what it was all about as if it were a scientific revelation. The look she gave me was priceless. Im 32 and shes 34 btw.
I'm almost 43. My wife is having a hard time understanding the globs of money that I'm throwing at this game. It does help immensely that my daughter is equally crazy as I am about it. We're both having such a great time playing it together. Although I have to figure out some way to prevent her from switching characters on and off the portal every 20 seconds or so. Sometimes I feel like I'm spending more time waiting for her to choose which character to play next rather than actually playing the game!

GameMaster78

Neo Member
LOL! That's awesome, Pete. There's nothing wrong with people buying into the things they like.

This game is unique. It offers a collectable figure, that can literally be played with.

Gaming needs more of this in the future.

Imagine Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, by Toys for Bob, with Marvel character toys that come to life, build up stats, and can be taken cross platform.

I am chiming in, to let everyone know I am 3 for 3 on gold Skylanders now. Once they arrive, I will add a pic to my collection for all to see.

Finally got a Whirlwind. Only one at all 6 gamestops in my area. Seems they are raising their prices to match TRU/

GameMaster are those sortmaster JR's

ElNino

Although I have to figure out some way to prevent her from switching characters on and off the portal every 20 seconds or so. Sometimes I feel like I'm spending more time waiting for her to choose which character to play next rather than actually playing the game!
My son does the exact same thing, LOL. It can be a bit annoying when he is trying to decide who to be (and who I should be), but I just love how enthralled he is with these guys that I can't actually get upset with him.

Oh, and I finally found a Flameslinger single again so I now have all the characters from Waves 1 & 2. Now to try and find the Wave 3 packs, other than Empire of Ice which my wife found last weekend.

It was another good day today! I called EB Games right at noon which is when their daily shipment comes in, and they got some figures in! I drove down right away and snagged the elusive Whirlwind/Drill Sergeant/Double Trouble triple pack. My daughter, who loves unicorns, has been dying to get Whirlwind, and I'm looking forward to trying out Drill Sergeant and Double Trouble. Fantastic design on all three of these characters. Many thanks to Peter at the Vansickle Road EB Games in St.Catharines, Ontario for holding one for me. He was extremely helpful and friendly. That's twice now that this location has come through for me.

LOL! That's awesome, Pete. There's nothing wrong with people buying into the things they like.

This game is unique. It offers a collectable figure, that can literally be played with.

Imagine Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, by Toys for Bob, with Marvel character toys that come to life, build up stats, and can be taken cross platform.

I am chiming in, to let everyone know I am 3 for 3 on gold Skylanders now. Once they arrive, I will add a pic to my collection for all to see.
Marvel Ultimate Alliance was the FIRST thing that I thought about as well! It would be amazing to do this with a LEGO game. I have a feeling that other companies will try to mimic the same marketing model as Skylanders with future games. What makes Skylanders all the more impressive is that they managed to achieve instant success with an unestablished franchise (with the exception of Spyro). Imagine the success that an established franchise with familiar and well-loved characters could achieve...

My son does the exact same thing, LOL. It can be a bit annoying when he is trying to decide who to be (and who I should be), but I just love how enthralled he is with these guys that I can't actually get upset with him.
Yeah, you can't get upset with them because they get SO into it. It's one of the things that they love so much about the game. My daughter also chooses which character I get to play. Sometimes she'll ask me who I want to be and I'll pick one, but then she just picks a different one herself anyway! Maddening!!!

chiQ

The only Skylander I have seen outside starter packs for more than a month I bought, I guess that's how it works - see it, buy it :)

I found Zap.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Finally got a Whirlwind. Only one at all 6 gamestops in my area. Seems they are raising their prices to match TRU/

GameMaster are those sortmaster JR's

Grats on the find, Dark.

Yeah, they're sortmaster juniors. During the holidays, Walmart sold them as a 3-pack bundle for 15 bucks.

Target has the starter pack for $49.99, and the other sets and packs are on sale, too. I bought the 360 version to play with my daughter, but I'm holding it back for a rainy day. We're busy with Rayman Origins at the moment.

RobbieNick

SCORE! Just came from my local Gamestop and they had Double Trouble and Cynder. Now I just need the Ice Adventure pack with Slam Bam and I'll be set until the next wave.

Cynder marks the second character to appear from a previous Spyro game. For a game with "Spyro's Adventure" in the subtitle, there's very few Spyro characters.

BJK

If Activision got Raven Software involved on the game side of things (MUA 1 / X-Men Legends vs. MUA2 when they farm it out), I would lose so much money to that.

As for now, I'm up to 6 characters out of my planned 8 (1 for each type; I need life & air yet). Can't see myself springing for the full 32.

I found a Target with a 3-pack of Stealth Elf, Wrecking Ball, and Sonic Boom. It was an hour away, but I couldn't find it anywhere else. So now, I officially have one of each element.
*Spyro/Wrecking Ball (Magic)
*Trigger Happy (Tech)
*Gill Grunt (Water)
*FlameSlinger (Fire)
*Cynder (Undead)
*Dino Rang (Earth)
*Sonic Boom (Air)
*Stealth Elf (Life)
9 Total!
Going for Drobot (thought I saw some, but may have been seeing things), Whirlwind (Saw 3 at Best Buy), Hex (saw 2 or 3 at Kmart), and maybe Bash next.

For $8 I would definitely pick up those Stanley cases. According to the WalMart site though my local store doesn't have thme :-/.

So, is the new retail price for single figures $9.99? If so, I'm glad I managed to get the ones I wanted before now.

TheGrue

Guy at Target last night beat me to the last Empire of Ice they had. They had no Cynders or Double Troubles. :( My quest for Wave 3 stuff is still a failure.

Guy at Target last night beat me to the last Empire of Ice they had. They had no Cynders or Double Troubles. :( My quest for Wave 3 stuff is still a failure.

I had luck yesterday hitting a GameStop around 1:30 p.m. She was starting to open a box to check in so I just hung out till she finished. It was a nice bright spot in an otherwise rather dismal day.

TheGrue

Got an Empire of Ice at Toys R Us just now. They didn't have Cynder or Double Trouble, though. They did have an assortment of other Skylanders, though.

Wouldn't you know it. The last one was sold the moment I came back. So I decided to get Hex instead.

Sorry about that.
You'll be very happy with Hex though. It's a tough call between the two. They both have similar styles which is rapid-fire ranged combat. I believe that Drobot has a little better defense, but Hex has a cool long-range skull attack that you can use to attack enemies that are behind walls where they are unable to attack back. It's loads of fun spamming her main rapid-fire attack, especially when it's been upgraded. I initially didn't care for her too much, but she's grown into one of my favorite, if not my most favorite, characters to play. If you are able to, I would still recommend getting Drobot if you ever find him again as he seems to be one of the most powerful characters in the game once you've upgraded him to the quadratic lasers.

fernoca

Ha!
All this talk about figurine and collections..and it reminds me that I haven't acquired one...single..figurine. :/

Just the ones from the 3DS-starter pack. I do want a few though, wonder when I'll finally buy one...at least. XD (No money :p)

RobbieNick

My Wave 3 hunt is finished with the Empire of Ice set that I got at Gamestop. Ended up getting all of wave 3 through two different Gamestops. Who knew that they'd be one of the best places for Skylanders?

Here's a quick review of the newest 3.

Cynder - The second character to appear in the game from a previous Spryo game, Cynder has similar animation to Spyro in her run and flight, but her powers really differ. She starts out great with a powerful lightning breath and a charge that makes her a shadow on the floor with small ghosts following her. Upgrading give a longer reach of black lightning and her charge can go on longer and be more devastating. She's a powerful character right off the bat and probably in my top ten.

Double Trouble - Awful name that doesn't really fit the character. He's one of the slower character's with no charge to make him go faster. He can make an explosive Tiki head follow him by going "Boogadyboo!" or some variation on that. His most effective attack is a staff that has a magic beam that will home in on nearby enemies. Overall, I find him kinda dull. Not as bad as say, Stump Smash or Chop-Chop, but just meh.

Slam Bam - Here's one of those characters that requires upgrading before he's any good. He has a powerful melee attack, but enemies have to get in really close. His alternate attack is making a block of ice to smash and hurt nearby enemies, but the effect is hard to see visually. His upgraded move is sliding. Which give him some much needed speed. A decent character overall, but not one of my faves.

Oh! I finally found out what Mister Moneybags does.
He keeps telling you to talk to him later. Well, when you beat the game, he keeps moving around and is harder to find. I found him again near the ocean by the tomb entrance and he said "Ah, I see you've followed trail of money!" or some sort, and gives you about 5 thousand dollars in treasure

BooJoh

Oh! I finally found out what Mister Moneybags does.
He keeps telling you to talk to him later. Well, when you beat the game, he keeps moving around and is harder to find. I found him again near the ocean by the tomb entrance and he said "Ah, I see you've followed trail of money!" or some sort, and gives you about 5 thousand dollars in treasure
Wow, is that a one-time reward or repeatable?

Top Bottom