• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders Swap-Force |OT|

Just dropped $180 on this stuff @ walmart (not counting the $125 of stuff I have coming from Amazon) for my son's christmas. He loves skylanders. I hear TRU had a sale on this stuff, so I should probably not be lazy and take it back and just go there instead.

The only thing I'm disappointed about was that not every Skylander is swappable - only the big $15 units are. And there are only 4 of them out right now(?)

The only thing I'm disappointed about was that not every Skylander is swappable - only the big $15 units are. And there are only 4 of them out right now(?)

I am trying to figure it out. There are 4 out there, plus 2 in the starter pack. The total number should be 16, two from each element:

- Blast Zone / Dark Blast Zone (bundled with Starter pack) (Fire Element)
- Free Ranger / Legendary Free Ranger (Air Element)
- Hoot Loop / Enchanted Hoot Loop (Magic Element)
- Magna Charge / Nitro Magna Charge (Tech Element)
- Rattle Shake (Undead Element)
- Water Bucker (bundled with Starter Pack) (Water Element)

not out yet:
- Boom Jet (Air Element)
- Doom Stone (Earth Element)
- Fire Kraken (Fire Element)
- Freeze Blade (Water Element)
- Grilla Drilla (Life Element)
- Night Shift / Legendary Night Shift (Undead Element)
- Rouble Rouser (Earth Element)
- Spy Rise (Tech Element)
- Stink Bomb (Life Element)
- Trap Shadow (Magic Element)

zebwinz

Grilla Drilla is one of the ones being released at TRU on Wednesday. Over the phone, it seems we will have every element except for earth. Which is kind of stupid because there is a earth/leaf door that even when they release these new figures on Wednesday we can't access since the ones coming out on Wednesday does not include a earth element swap character.
I think when I got to the first dual element door it said you can also put two characters on the portal (although you'd have to have a second controller/profile on).

Ravek

Banned
Picked up PS3 Dark Edition, Another SwapForce member (magnet looking dude) and a lava spirit looking chick light core style.

My son, 6, and I have only played the first level. So far this is "streets ahead" of Giants. Its amazing how something like jumping can completely change a game...looking at you Brutal Legend.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Grilla Drilla is one of the ones being released at TRU on Wednesday. Over the phone, it seems we will have every element except for earth. Which is kind of stupid because there is a earth/leaf door that even when they release these new figures on Wednesday we can't access since the ones coming out on Wednesday does not include a earth element swap character.

Sorry, what? I haven't heard anything about a Wednesday release for Grilla Drilla or wave 2. Did they send an email out about it?

Zing

Banned
Yikes, 16 "giants" this time around? That is $240 alone. I spent less than that on the entire set of the first game.

Watched the giantbomb quick look, the quality of the game is so many levels above what I would had assumed. Will definitely get the Xbox One or PS4 version when they come out, if I remember they showed footage a while back that I found quite impressive but had forgotten about until now.

Ravek

Banned
Watched the giantbomb quick look, the quality of the game is so many levels above what I would had assumed. Will definitely get the Xbox One or PS4 version when they come out, if I remember they showed footage a while back that I found quite impressive but had forgotten about until now.

I've only seen PS4 footage and looked really good.

I can't seem to find any info about it, but I'm going to check in on Wednesday regardless.

Also, as mentioned, you can get through the earth/life door by putting two individual Skylanders on the Portal.

Nice pick-up!

Is that all that is available right now? What itens belongs to wave 1? It seems that is harder to follow SwapForce launch than previous games...

This is what I used for reference on what was available:
http://kotaku.com/skylanders-swap-force-buyers-guide-what-to-get-what-1443590555

There were also a few other singles, a few 3pks, a Walmart Exclusive 3pk, and a Walmart Exclusive Enchanted Hoot Loop.

I believe the Walmart Exclusive 3pk (Mega Ram Spyro, Super Gulp Pop Fizz, regular Star Strike) is supposed to be coming out tmrw.

If Wave 2 definitely comes out Wednesday, I'll have see what I can pick up. >_<

So I have every skylander from the last 2 games. If I just use those characters with a swap force starter pack will I miss much? I have haven't touched half those characters and don't want to spend a shit load on figures.

Mory Dunz

OvODyvu.jpg

This is actually really pretty. Never played the games, not sure why I assumed it'd be ugly.

Kemal86

Partly due to a changed financial situation, but this is the first game where I won't be getting all of the figures. I've got a little list of just the ones that look coolest to me, trying to cover each of the different movement types. Hoping there's a Dark bundle for PS4, haven't seen it pop up online anywhere yet.

This is actually really pretty. Never played the games, not sure why I assumed it'd be ugly.

This game has a different developer and uses a new engine. The previous 2 games look like shit, but this game looks pretty good. I think I'll bite when the ps4 version drops.

Any comparisons on overall graphics quality. I want to get the best performing version for my son

PS3 and 360 seem comparable. I have the 360 version, and in watching the GB QL for PS3, the load times when you put Skylanders on the portal seem a smidge faster on 360, but barely.

fernoca

Adding to what I got yesterday:
What I got today:

And since I got both versions now, and Hero of Legend was asking earlier:
Any Wii shots? Beenox did the Wii version. Wonder how it compares to the previous Wii versions (which were the base versions, not so this time).
Here's a quick comparison:
[top: Wii U version, screenshot taken in-game: bottom: Wii version, picture taken with a camera]
Less details in general, less effects (shadows and lighting)..overall everything is a lower-res version on Wii. Still looks good and from what I played, quite well too. (Unlike the Wii U version which is compatible with nearly every controller; the Wii version can only be played with the Wii Remote and nunchuck).

Syntax

Ninja Stealth Elf isn't in (ninja) costume in-game. The system recognizes her as a series 3 figure but uses the normal stealth elf model when playing.

Anyone know anything about this? It's on 360 if that matters.

neoemonk

We picked up Mega Ram Spyro at Target yesterday. I was so excited to find a Spyro in the wild even though it is my son that plays primarily. I think I was even more excited than he was.

He will be getting Swap Force for Christmas on the Wii U, but in the mean time I'd like to find a list of the backwards compatible figures. Mega Ram Spyro works on Giants and I saw a version of Chill that does too.

fernoca

Ninja Stealth Elf isn't in (ninja) costume in-game. The system recognizes her as a series 3 figure but uses the normal stealth elf model when playing.

Anyone know anything about this? It's on 360 if that matters.

You need to upgrade her.
Just took this pic.
Was doing that just now, playing the first level again but on Wii; to get more money to buy the update. (is the last one on the list which unlocks the green tiger power/ability)

Just got the following email notice from Toys R Us, available tmrw, 10/16:

10296259114_039e68100e_o.jpg

Fire Kraken, Boom Jet, plus 10 others (Grilla Drilla pictured)

Katzii

Gotta wait until Friday - I pre-ordered the Dark Edition (with Lightcore Hex and free Giant figure), and the 3DS version (with Lightcore Hex and free Giants Skylander). Will probably go out on a hunt for figures on the release date since none of the sites here want to put any up for pre-order, and I want to get the normal Starter at some point, too.

RobbieNick

I'm holding off on the console versions until PS4 due to how beutiful the graphics look on that version, but I can't wait so I did grab the 3DS version. First impressions.

POSITIVES:

Out of the box, you get three completely different Skylanders than what comes with the console versions. No Doubles on Tree Rex.

The portal works MUCH better than the old one.

YOU ONLY NEED TO USE EACH CHARACTER ON THE PORTAL ONCE!! Once used, they stay in the game and you can swap out character at any time. No more "Two at a time" nonsense, you can have your entire collection on the go.. Of course, you will need to put them back on the portal again if you want their leveling up and treasure to continue over to the console versions.

GUEST SKYLANDERS THROUGH STREETPASS! Is there a Skylander you don't have that a friend does? This streetpass feature allows you to bring on guest Skylander through one level to try out. That is a GREAT feature IMO.

Not challenging enough? You can set the level of difficulty to "easy, normal or hard" at any time.

The lead villain is cool and the story is very Flynn-centric.

NEGATIVES:

Despite the jump ability being in the 3DS versions from the very beginning, this one seems more like traditional Skylanders. Still early in the game to really say though.

Spyro attacks with a very gremlin like voice. WTF? The Spyro I knew from the Insomniac voice is completely gone now.

Bonethug

Such a Skylanders addict.

Picked up:
Swap Force, Tower of Time
Roller Brawl, Zoo Lou, Scorp, LC Grim Creeper

I was going to get LC Smolderdash, but I was disappointed by the lack of glow.
I also think the regular pose looks better.

TRU also had SA Wham-Shell that I needed for my collection.
Wish I could find a Boomer, I remember them being everywhere 2 years ago when no one wanted him.

Aspiring

OK, so I am just starting to organise the kids Christmas presents with the wife, and my 4 year old really wants skylanders. So I have this game preordered on PS4. Now, we just bought him a 3DS for Christmas that came with Spyros Adventures starter pack. What I need to know is will the 3 that come with that be compatible with this, and when we buy some extra figurines that he wants, will they be compatible. Is there a list of figures that don't work with the game, or do they all work?

EDIT: Just saw in OT it says all figures are compatible. Sorry my bad im sure I read in game Informer that they were not all compatible.

fernoca

Variety in visuals and levels has always been great in the series. But now, thanks to probably the main version been HD; the better models, lighting and textures make it even better.

Took this 3 random pics...
...and they're all from the same level (#2).

Definitely a great looking (and playing) platformer.

Dragoshi1

I can't get to TRU at all today, I hope they ordered enough to have by Friday :(

All I really wanted was Fire Kraken and Scorp.

Zing

Banned
I wonder why they decided to put the level's element right in the middle of the screen instead of the top corner as before.

Edit: wow, it's even worse than I thought. It constantly flashes "strong here".

bumpkin

I wonder how dramatic of a visual upgrade the XB1 and PS4 versions are going to be. Since the Wii held back the quality of the first two games due to accounting for the lowest common denominator, you have to wonder if the same thing is happening on account of the 360/PS3 this time.

ahoyle77

Does anyone know if there will be any improvements in the Xbox one version? Trying to decide if I should get it for Wii u or wait for Xbox one version.

Picked up the ten new ones at TRU this morning. They only had like, 4-5 of each out on display. Not sure what they had in the back, if anything. There was another guy there too who also bought one of each new thing.

Grakl

never played skylanders before, my boyfriend got the PS3 version on his birthday

we played the story mode and PvP for most of the day; this game is really fun. Does anyone know how long the campaign lasts?

either way, we're definitely grabbing more skylanders

Dragoshi1

Picked up the ten new ones at TRU this morning. They only had like, 4-5 of each out on display. Not sure what they had in the back, if anything. There was another guy there too who also bought one of each new thing.

What discounts are out to take advantage of at TRU? I may just throw money at a friend/relative to go hunt them down for me.

So tempted to get this on PS3, knowing full well I'll want it on PS4 when it comes out there (looks gorgeous from all I've read/seen).

My question is whether or not the portal will work on PS4 (I would think it would, being just USB?) AND if they will be selling a "portal owners pack" version on launch day, for people who did pick up the PS3 version. It's odd they haven't really talked about an "upgrade" option like every other "cross-gen" game is doing these days.

Jetku

Picked up kraken and jet at tru today. They had quite a few of them all. The b1g1 40% off is still active.

My buddy had a different experience. His TRU was ravaged. I had to pick up a couple for him.

Working the truck yesterday (Walgreens) I saw us get a big display box for Swap Force and immediately went to set it up. Some of the new guys look insanely cool. I love that they are imaginative and fun with the character design (for the most part), when they could easily just phone it in and still make all this money.

fernoca

So tempted to get this on PS3, knowing full well I'll want it on PS4 when it comes out there (looks gorgeous from all I've read/seen).

My question is whether or not the portal will work on PS4 (I would think it would, being just USB?) AND if they will be selling a "portal owners pack" version on launch day, for people who did pick up the PS3 version. It's odd they haven't really talked about an "upgrade" option like every other "cross-gen" game is doing these days.

Portal works. There won't be any "portal owners pack".

Technically they could've done the same with the Wii U/Wii versions (you can use the same portal on a Wii U, playing the Wii version thanks to backward compatibility).

Since the older portals are not compatible, they don't want to cause some confusion by releasing versions without the new one.

Frazley

I hate myself. Spent time at TRU and preordered the PS4 version and got some more characters. Playing through Adventures and Giants for the first time to get the story and be ready for Swapforce!

Technically they could've done the same with the Wii U/Wii versions (you can use the same portal on a Wii U, playing the Wii version thanks to backward compatibility).

Since the older portals are not compatible, they don't want to cause some confusion by releasing versions without the new one.
But they may as well have made it not work, since you get a new portal in only SKU they're selling for PS4. Kind of a bummer. And I doubt used-game places even take Skylanders games for trade in? :/

Going to be realllllly hard to wait. Swap Force looks like the Skylanders game I've been waiting for. I have some figures just sitting on my desk from the brief time I owned the Wii U version of Giants (before quickly selling the disc/portal...game ran like trash on Wii U).

zinder

Does the Xbox 360 portal work with PS4 version though?

Lan_97

Played a bit of the 3DS version. Pretty much like the two previous game before it, though more similar to Giants than SA. I think it's really great that you only need to scan in a character once and again only to update to a figure. Much easier to swap to a random character on a whim or activate gates. Though the downsides include increased loading/animation when swapping characters (previous games had instant switching between the two loaded figures), and possible reduction in difficulty since you have access to your entire collection instead of just taking two.

Can anyone comment on how heroic challenges and stat increases work on the console version (I'm waiting for the PS4 version)?

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Went to TRU today for the Hot Toys Alert. They had the new Swappers, but apparently one of the new hires put out the singles box last night because it didn't have a street date.

Ugh. No Scorp or Rip Tide for a while then.

Top Bottom