• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders Swap-Force |OT|

fernoca

Jumping is certainly not a welcome addition for me. It allows the level designers to be more relaxed about the layout, which is is undoubtedly why it was added. Bounce pads require some time and effort to place appropriately. It was likely easier to just add a jump button. This has the negative effect of messing with the button configuration we have been using for two years, as well as increasing the dexterity requirement for children. My four-year-old daughter certainly would have had a much more difficult time trying to jump around rather than simply bounce.
Though Vicarious first Skylanders game was the first one on 3DS which had jumping. So in some ways it was about them adapting the gameplay of the previous games and add jumping...to change things a little, more than laziness. Trying to adapt kids to jumping in yhe game. Is also probably why this one doesn't have double jumps; while the 3DS games have (which has always been closer to Crash and Spyro).

It is a nice and welcone addition; also makes for some cool platforming areas.

I always thought they'd keep jumping on the 3DS versions. Y'know, more like a classic Spyro game.

Can you actually jump off the edge in Swap Force? If so, they really should've stuck with Bounce Pads for kids.
Jumping was and still is in the 3DS games (plus double jumps and attacking in mid-air).

On both games you can jump over some edges but not all.

Man i'm really digging the new game. Feels like they stepped it up quite a bit from the last entry. Shame the thread this time around seems a bit quieter.

I'm a bit bummed out the dark edition didn't hit the Wii U so i went with 360 again. I'll likely be dipping on the 3DS entry at some point again.

Today i managed to pick up Nitro Magna Charge & Free Ranger 2 pack, Enchanted Hoot Loop, Roller brawl and Zoo Lou. Sadly that means i'll have a duplicate of Free Ranger when i do grab the 3DS version, but that'll only make my second double over the 3 years (the other being Stealth Elf series 1) and i really wanted the Nitro version of Magna charge (i'm a sucker for the exclusives). I passed on the Lightcore Smolderdash and really regret that, but didn't want to spend too much as the wife would be upset.

I may for the first time be buying one of the figures at above retail price, i was never able to get the Jade Flashwing as we didn't have Target in Canada when Giants was released, and she has to be one of my favorite characters.

Man i'm really digging the new game. Feels like they stepped it up quite a bit from the last entry. Shame the thread this time around seems a bit quieter.

I'm a bit bummed out the dark edition didn't hit the Wii U so i went with 360 again. I'll likely be dipping on the 3DS entry at some point again.

Today i managed to pick up Nitro Magna Charge & Free Ranger 2 pack, Enchanted Hoot Loop, Roller brawl and Zoo Lou. Sadly that means i'll have a duplicate of Free Ranger when i do grab the 3DS version, but that'll only make my second double over the 3 years (the other being Stealth Elf series 1) and i really wanted the Nitro version of Magna charge (i'm a sucker for the exclusives). I passed on the Lightcore Smolderdash and really regret that, but didn't want to spend too much as the wife would be upset.

I may for the first time be buying one of the figures at above retail price, i was never able to get the Jade Flashwing as we didn't have Target in Canada when Giants was released, and she has to be one of my favorite characters.

Dark edition did hit the wii u...just less supply

fernoca

I'm a bit bummed out the dark edition didn't hit the Wii U so i went with 360 again.
It made it to the Wii U, but very few were made. Enough to cover preorders and a few during the first 24 hours at Gamestop.com (along a few at eBay).
HtsxcY3.png
Is why I ended getting the Wii-dark version after grabbing the Wii U regular-version, aside the outside of the box; everything is the exact same between dark editions (game case, disc, figures, poster, cards, etc.).

Glad you're enjoying it, is the best in the series so far. Guess the new console releases, the release of Disney Infinity and this been the third entry did showed some signs of game-fatigue among many.

Is it just me though, or does it seem like Skylanders popularity among gaf has dropped considerably? I'd think there would be a lot more pages to the OT by now, but this is kinda slow.

Well, my package is still in transit, I should get it in 2 or 3 weeks, then I will start making comments. My 5 years old son loves the series.

Yeah. Where's that dude that buys every single Skylander including all versions of the game? That was one crazy collector.

Thankfully not around.

Yeah, but I am curious about if he did got ahead with his plan and bought all combinations of swap characters, making at least 256 toys not including the variations (dark, legendary, magna, enchanted).

Aponi

I'm glad to hear that Giants is the weakest of the 3 games. I bought Giants when it came out and barely touched it. I think I made it through 2 or 3 levels? But this thread and the reviews (plus off-TV mode for the WiiU) convinced me to go ahead and pick up Swap Force. It's sitting on my table staring at me...

Now I just have to push my way through the rest of Giants. I figure there's no way I'd go back to Giants after Swap Force.

RobbieNick

There will be a Skylander: Swap Force edition of WiiU on Black Friday for certain stores (Gamestop confirmed) for $299. With the $75 value of the game, it makes the WiiU come in at $225. Also, Gamestop will have all versions of Swap Force for $49.99 on Black Friday as well. Glad I held off buying the console game for the PS4 edition.

I went by Toys R Us today and was looking at the new Swap Force characters and realized that Nigth Shift is the most unneeded character so far. He has the same teleport ability as Hoot Loop and has the same undead element that Rattle Shake has. Totally gonna pass on that guy.

There will be a Skylander: Swap Force edition of WiiU on Black Friday for certain stores (Gamestop confirmed) for $299. With the $75 value of the game, it makes the WiiU come in at $225. Also, Gamestop will have all versions of Swap Force for $49.99 on Black Friday as well. Glad I held off buying the console game for the PS4 edition.

I went by Toys R Us today and was looking at the new Swap Force characters and realized that Nigth Shift is the most unneeded character so far. He has the same teleport ability as Hoot Loop and has the same undead element that Rattle Shake has. Totally gonna pass on that guy.

I have to say though I like Night Shift much better than either Rattle Shake or Hoot Loop...

RobbieNick

I have to say though I like Night Shift much better than either Rattle Shake or Hoot Loop...

I'm not saying he's a bad character. I'm saying that he already had the element and movments of other characters. So if you're looking to save money, he's a good one to pass on.

I'm not saying he's a bad character. I'm saying that he already had the element and movments of other characters. So if you're looking to save money, he's a good one to pass on.

Oh absolutely...just saying if you haven't bought the others yet...he's a good one to get...I've been pretty pleased with most of the new characters and continue to be impressed by how differently most of them play from each other...

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Don't be silly. You know you're going to buy them all. There's only 32 new characters!

My wallet.

Zing

Banned
Well, I thought I could get away with no Swap Force, but it seems fate is against me. After having our Skylanders collection gather dust for a few months, despite being directly in plain view next to the TV, I started packing it away last week. I had all the Giants figures boxed up. One day, my daughter suddenly ask to play, so we boot up the first game and create a new save. The next day she asks where all the Giants and cards are. To make a long story short, not only did I end up pulling all of the stuff out of storage, but we are playing every day, and I bought a few new series 2 figures.

She wrote me a note asking for Swap Force for her birthday next month. I've already told her we couldn't get it since we don't have a console that can play it (I'm not buying the gimped Wii version). I started looking around and found a Wii U on the cheap. I'm going to give her the game for Christmas. I've already bought the four existing swap force figures (Canada has no wave 2 yet). I have no current plans to buy series 3 or even any of the new regular Skylanders. I'm aiming for just the 16 swap force and calling it day.

I just realized that in a few years, my daughter will be able to google me and read these sort of posts about her.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I hope Pop Thorn is sold as a single later on.

He's the only one I wanted.

Just get the adventure pack. You get Pop Thorn, the awesome Tower of Time level (It's HUGE), and two cool magic items.

Plus, the gem allows for a very useful money cheat.

Just get the adventure pack. You get Pop Thorn, the awesome Tower of Time level (It's HUGE), and two cool magic items.

Agree, only played through Tower of Time on the 3DS version so far (playing through 3DS version first) but was fairly impressed with what it added. Looking forward to the Sheep Wreck Adventure Pack.

I just got it from ebay from less than $20 (+shipping). It seems that the most of the interest this time is towards the swap figures plus some of the legendaries/exclusives. The other packs seems pretty common/cheap to find.

Dragoshi1

I understand that, but I don't want the level, I just want the character.

I'd rather pay $9.99 for the single figure.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I understand that, but I don't want the level, I just want the character.

I'd rather pay $9.99 for the single figure.

I highly recommend you think about it. Out of the four Adventure Packs from SA, only Slam Bam and Terrafin were rereleased.
And those were Series 2 (3 for Terrafin), meaning that you had to buy the adventure packs to complete the SA green-base collection.
There's no Ghost Roaster or Sunburn outside of the packs. People who waited for Ghost Roaster are now paying over $50 for Darklight Crypt because it's apparently become super rare. Sunburn's pretty easy to find.

You may get lucky if they decide to release a single Pop Thorn late 2014, but that's Skylanders 4 territory. Maybe a Series 2 Pop Thorn?
Prickly Pop Thorn?

I just really like having Adventure Packs and magic items. Something cool to throw down on the portal when you need help. And SERIOUSLY THE LEVELS ARE HUGE AND AWESOME.

Does that mean you're not getting Wind Up unless he gets a separate release from the Sheepwreck Island pack? What about regular Grim Creeper and Thorn Horn Camo in the Arkeyan Crossbow battle pack?

Or you could try searching eBay for a loose Pop Thorn. :]

Orca

My kids had really been looking forward to Swap Force. The seven year old can read now, so she was well aware of when it came out and even got me to preorder it after seeing the cards at Walmart. The three year old woke up early on launch day and dragged me out of bed to go get it, still in his pyjamas.

tSRQM5W.jpg

Played it smart this time. Got them the starter kit and some of the ones they really wanted, then went back after and bought a bunch of the rest and stored them away for Christmas.

Since getting it, they've played Disney Infinity a grand total of once - when Woody came out. I got them the Toy Story playset for Christmas, but I think we might just be selling that game off.

Game looks great and they're big fans of the jumping. Upgrade paths for both top and bottom pieces on the swappable ones was a great idea, the little guy loves getting new powers.

Dragoshi1

I highly recommend you think about it. Out of the four Adventure Packs from SA, only Slam Bam and Terrafin were rereleased.
And those were Series 2 (3 for Terrafin), meaning that you had to buy the adventure packs to complete the SA green-base collection.
There's no Ghost Roaster or Sunburn outside of the packs. People who waited for Ghost Roaster are now paying over $50 for Darklight Crypt because it's apparently become super rare. Sunburn's pretty easy to find.

You may get lucky if they decide to release a single Pop Thorn late 2014, but that's Skylanders 4 territory. Maybe a Series 2 Pop Thorn?
Prickly Pop Thorn?

I just really like having Adventure Packs and magic items. Something cool to throw down on the portal when you need help. And SERIOUSLY THE LEVELS ARE HUGE AND AWESOME.

Does that mean you're not getting Wind Up unless he gets a separate release from the Sheepwreck Island pack? What about regular Grim Creeper and Thorn Horn Camo in the Arkeyan Crossbow battle pack?

Or you could try searching eBay for a loose Pop Thorn. :]

I have Legendary Grim Creeper, I don't need him. I also have Camo, I don't need him either. So the battle pack is out of the question.

And I don't want wind-up.

I don't need every Skylander, I have 1 of each element, 3 giants, and multiple swappers. Only Bash I have multiples of, with his legendary and S2 versions, and that's because he is my favorite of the Skylanders.

I still only want Pop Thorn, if I have the money, then I'll buy the level pack, but as soon as I find someone selling him separate for cheap or a single is announced, then that's what I'm aiming for. Skylanders is an expensive thing, and I don't want to blow as much when Giants came out.

Zing

Banned
Well, you are certainly not the usual type of person to frequent this thread. I suspect you have the fewest Skylanders total of anyone else here.

I went out and bought the adventure pack today. I don't really care for Pop Thorn, but since the previous adventure packs were fun to play, I assume this one will be also. It would seem silly to pass up an additional level of the game. My daughter and I were sad both times previously when the game came to an end. I remember intentionally not playing the first game as we got to the final couple chapters because I never wanted it to end. Such a great game and an amazing experience for a father and daughter.

I'm trying to not acquire any of the new regular Skylanders, but Countdown looks damn cool. I bought some extras just in case I change my mind and they sell out. Walmart has a 90 day return policy so there is no risk.

Dragoshi1

Every single SA figure with priority on variant(Eg.Got L. Bash instead of S1 Bash), and every single Giants figure with priority on variant.

With Swap Force, I'm tired of spending loads of cash. Dropped 100 bucks on Dark Edition, and got Fire Kraken, Rattle Shake, and Scorp. I'm only getting the ones I like visually. Pop Thorn being the next one, followed by Scratch and the Spy robot Swapper. Once I have those, I'm done with Swap Force figures for now.

With Spyro's Adventure, I got all regular + legendaries characters. I am still missing some itens from Giants, but I already got a lot of the lightcores and variats, plus the regulars. When Disney Infinity was announced I decided to get all its figures and skip Swap Force. But since my 5-years old son simply ignored DI (minus at launch, when he played all weekend) and is still a huge Skylanders fan, I had to regret my decision and decided to get the Starter Pack plus only the swap characters that I liked the most. But since then I already bought 4 swappers, the adventure pack, the battle pack, a legendary Free Ranger, a Target double-pack exclusive, and I am looking to some other itens. I need to be put on skylanders rehab, I swear.

Yuripaw

Banned
Should I feel bad? Grown man buying skylanders for myself at the store...i feel like society would laugh at me if they knew the truth. I was buying a bunch of stuff at the store today, and the one item that the cashier asked if i needed a gift receipt for was the smoulderdash I was picking up for myself for Skylanders. I was like "no" and didnt say anything else, but this isnt the first time this has happened. Just hits me everytime...like I should feel bad.

Should I feel bad? Grown man buying skylanders for myself at the store...i feel like society would laugh at me if they knew the truth. I was buying a bunch of stuff at the store today, and the one item that the cashier asked if i needed a gift receipt for was the smoulderdash I was picking up for myself for Skylanders. I was like "no" and didnt say anything else, but this isnt the first time this has happened. Just hits me everytime...like I should feel bad.

you will be surprised at ammount of fathers that keep telling "it is for my kid" while enjoying the game themselves. Plus the ammount of fathers that introduced skylanders to their kids in first place.

So no shame.

rcl66

you will be surprised at ammount of fathers that keep telling "it is for my kid" while enjoying the game themselves. Plus the ammount of fathers that introduced skylanders to their kids in first place.

So no shame.

Pretty sure there are a lot of us grown men that buy it and don't have or don't play it with their kids. No way they have sold 1.5 Billion in Skylander stuff just for kids.

I know for a fact more people I know that bought Disney Infinity did it for themselves and not kids.

fernoca

31 years old, and been buying Skylanders stuff for years. :p
Since Swap-Force was released, I've acquired:
-Wii U Starter Pack
-Limited Edition Strategy Guide
-Mega Ram Spyro
-Wii Dark Edition Starter Pack
-3DS Starter Pack
-Smolderdash (lightcore)
-Star Strike (lightcore)
-Roller Brawl

I've posted pics of all that on my Facebook, which my coworkers can see too. XD

The stages are big, but I'm disappointed that there's only 12 real stages in story mode,with the other 5 chapters being short simple boss battles. And the bosses aren't that good or creative either.

Zing

Banned
Wave 2 just hit Canada today. I'm in no hurry, but I will grab them the next time I am at the store just to be prepared for the inevitable shortage in a month.

RobbieNick

Sometimes, they put out a character that has such a fun design that I instantly like them and in this case, I saw Rip Tide at TrU today. Never heard of him before, but I loved the idea of him having a swordfish for an actual sword. I had a $10 coupon to use ony snything in the store so I used it to buy him.

zebwinz

I'm pleasantly surprised by how long this game is. I've been playing through on hard and just finished the 8th of 17 levels and my playtime is already 10 hours. If next gen wasn't three/four weeks away, I'd be playing Swap Force for a LONG time.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Where does he get this much money to waste?

My career of choice, is screenwriting. I am a huge gaming aficionado, having amassed 1294 games over the course of the past 27 years.
I own a NES, SNES, Gameboy/Color, Genesis, Playstation, Saturn, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, 360, Nintendo DS, PSP, Wii, PS3, Nintendo 3DS, PS Vita, and Wii U, however, that doesn't mean I like to stay indoors a lot.

Here's his official collection topic.

And yes, he's literally going to buy 16 of each character to display every Swappability.

So, here is my haul for day 1.

Normal Starters -

x1 Wii U
x1 Wii (sealed)
x1 360
x3 3DS

Dark Starters -

x1 Wii U
x1 Wii (sealed)
x1 360
x1 PS3

Exclusives -

x4 Legendary Grim Creeper
x4 Legendary Free Ranger
x4 Enchanted Hoot Loop (pending it's not released on the 18th)
x3 Nitro Magna Charge/Free Ranger (gives me an extra 2 Free Ranger for 256 combo display)
x3 Nitro Magna Charge/Rattle Shake (gives me an extra 2 Rattle Shake for 256 combo display)
x1 Magic Triple Pack (pending it's not released on the 18th)

Swaplanders -

x4 Magna Charge
x4 Hoot Loop
x1 Rattle Shake (sealed)
x1 Free Ranger (sealed)

Newlanders -

x4 Countdown
x4 Roller Brawl
x1 Zoo Lou (sealed)
x1 Slobber Tooth (sealed)

Lightcore -

x4 LC Star Strike
x4 LC Smolderdash
x4 LC Grim Creeper
x4 LC Warnado
x4 LC Flashwing

Series 2/3 -

x1 Spyro (sealed)
x1 Chill (sealed)
x1 Pop Fizz (sealed)
x1 Eruptor (sealed)

Adventure/Battle Packs -

x4 Tower of Time
x4 Fiery Forge

Triple Packs -

x4 Slobber Tooth/Eruptor/Pop Fizz
x4 Zoo Lou/Spyro/Chill

So, that's my day 1, in a nut shell. Any extra money I find will be used to get the remaining 15 Hoot Loop and Magna Charge Skylanders needed to display all 256 combinations.
Wash Buckler and Blast Zone aren't going anywhere. I will get the other 15 Wash and Blast, when Starter Packs are on sale for 20 bucks at TRU (happened with Giants recently).

Actually, he is running out of funds. He is selling other stuff and "only" buying two of each regular Skylander this time.

I understand the collection impulse but I really do not see the need to display every possible combination. Specially if he needs to sell other stuff to fund it.

Edited: by the way, why did he stopped to post here and moved to darkSpyro forums?

RobbieNick

Well, I couldn't hold out until PS4 and ended up getting the main game on my WiiU.

I don't regret it! This is EASILY the best Skylanders game to date. In those other two games, most of the fun came from just leveling up the characters, getting treasure and finding some unlockables. Here, the game play itslef is where the most fun is had and everything else is a great bonus.The graphics are INCREDIBLE this time around and give the game a nice, "cgi cartoon" look through the whole game. There are some close up cutscenes where you're not sure if it's CGI rendered or in-game and that makes a huge difference. I love mixing and matching the Swap-Force characters and it really comes in handy during some gameplay.

The only downside is that...is it just me or do the graphics look a little bit..."fuzzy" Like under 720P res. Maybe it's due to the new graphics engine pushing the hardware, but I'm not sure.

I hope Vicarious Visions stays as the main developer of this series. This game makes Giants (and frankly, Infinity as well) look like a pile of crap.

Katzii

Where does he get this much money to waste?

Goodness knows. He has a job now and, as mentioned, has been selling the variants (or attempting to at least). He also sold one of the sets of Skylanders he bought for his kids, meaning they have to share while he gets two playable sets to himself.

...Not my place to comment on my stance about that though.

As for Swap Force? I still love the other two games, but this overhaul has really made the new game feel special (the 3DS one feels much of the same, but that's not a bad thing). Only thing is that having played all the 3DS instalments, I keep trying, and failing, to double jump on the console version.

I will be switching the difficulty down (I started on Hard) when I go through the levels again to mop everything up, purely for the Spin Zones alone. Those things can go away.

Spades

Anyone know if there is going to be a $/£10 upgrade option to get the XB1/PS4 version, similar to what they are doing with EA Sports games and COD?

Goodness knows. He has a job now and, as mentioned, has been selling the variants (or attempting to at least). He also sold one of the sets of Skylanders he bought for his kids, meaning they have to share while he gets two playable sets to himself.

...Not my place to comment on my stance about that though.

I guess is not my job to judge anyone, but that sounds silly. I do not understand the urge of having all combinations of characterers, specially if you need to sell your older stuff (most of his variants are bought at high price on ebay, but some were given to him because he is such a collector, so is it right to sell them?). I would write something about selling the kid's stuff, but as you said... I changed my mind.

Aspiring

Just a question, this is a launch game for PS4 isn't it? I have it paid off on amazon but realised that now they are no longer taking orders for it saying its currently unavailable. Any reason why, when you can still pre order the XB One version?

Top Bottom