• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition |OT| of Pork Bun References

R3TRODYCE

I was watching a stream and saw loads of screen tearing. I hope that the game doesn't actually have that issue.

Great game. I played through on PC, so I won't be picking this up. But for those that haven't played it, you should. It's a ton of fun.

Kensuke

You look like you need a pork bun!

Anyway, I have a PS4 review code. Honestly, my impressions of the port aren't very positive (I played the original). The lack of polish isn't what I would expect from a 'definitive edition'.

-The worst offender is the sound. It glitches all the time, falling away or distorting. Both during cut scenes and in the open world. I thought restarting the game might help, but it didn't.

-Sometimes the wrong voice comes out the wrong NPC. It happened a lot to the mother and daughter arguing all the time in the hallway. That one was unexpectedly funny though.

-Another thing that annoys me is that you can't do anything while the game auto saves. You need to stand still for a few seconds while you wait for the game to get ready for you again. Doesn't really feel next gen.

-The game has crashed twice for me and I had to redo the mission.

-I'm unlocking trophies, but when I sync they don't show up. In fact, the game just doesn't show up on my trophy list. No idea if this is a common issue with PS4 games, but it's never happened to me before.

-Honestly, I'm not noticing any graphical improvements. I might need to boot up the my PS3 version to see the difference. It's certainly not on the same level as the Tomb Raider or GTA V ports though.

morpix

I played the PS3 version. Got the PC version on a sale and never played it.
Might just plug in an XBox One controller and imagine it's definitive edition.

Mohasus

Catdaddy

Anyway, I have a PS4 review code. Honestly, my impressions of the port aren't very positive (I played the original). The lack of polish isn't what I would expect from a 'definitive edition'.

-The worst offender is the sound. It glitches all the time, falling away or distorting. Both during cut scenes and in the open world. I thought restarting the game might help, but it didn't.

-Sometimes the wrong voice comes out the wrong NPC. It happened a lot to the mother and daughter arguing all the time in the hallway. That one was unexpectedly funny though.

-Another thing that annoys me is that you can't do anything while the game auto saves. You need to stand still for a few seconds while you wait for the game to get ready for you again. Doesn't really feel next gen.

-I'm unlocking trophies, but when I sync they don't show up. In fact, the game just doesn't show up on my trophy list. No idea if this is a common issue with PS4 games, but it's never happened to me before.

-Honestly, I'm not noticing any graphical improvements. I might need to boot up the my PS3 version to see the difference. It's certainly not on the same level as the Tomb Raider or GTA V ports though.

Rushed money grab by SE? Cause TR remaster worked out well?

hwy_61

Banned

Jesus...definitely waiting for a price drop.

Mohasus

ibsj8GlRHlO7tx.jpg

The AO (HBAO+?) is way better than the old one (it was so bad that I preferred to disable it).

The fog adds a nice effect to the punches and kicks.

Rembrandt

Banned

Not even surprised. The videos linked in the other thread didn't help. I can see that it looks better than the last-gen copies but nothing warranting $60. What a weird thing to do with GTAV right around the corner with very noticeable differences right away. Even worse is them talking about the denser traffic and from what I've seen, it really reminds me of GTAO. I would expect for them to be really packed.

If anyone can answer...when do you get access to the outfits and missions that were DLC before? Are they tied into the main story and the different shops now? I just got to the first safe house and stopped once I could save.

Miker

That's actually really cool. I'd like to see more developers do that. I'd love for it to work with the Dualshock 4, but that'll never happen because the whole point of DS4 for PC drivers is to mimic a 360 controller anyway. And I guess there's XInput, but then there's no rumble and stuff.

DustinC

Trophy issue is because it's prior to release. I noticed the same thing on Mordor and Diablo.

I've been playing on XB1 and haven't had the audio issues, but I have had the game crash.

Embargo just got lifted ahead of schedule, so impressions should start coming in.

rapid32.5

ouch! if it's not patched I will get the 360 version for $10. These guys didn't even try to improve and with GTAV awesomeness ahead, GTFO for asking $60.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Originally was going to get this on launch but I bought the pc game (which was pretty definitive) and there are too many games coming out. Sorry watch doge, you're gonna have to wait.

If I hadn't already played it I'd be picking it up. Can't justify spending $60 on another port, especially one that does not look very impressive.

mileS

I'm scared that this will bomb hard.

When you put the little amount of effort in that they have. and pack it full of small DLC packs that have been on sale in a package already on Steam for less than $4, theeeeen sale the game for $60... yeah I get that feeling too.

They really should have called this Whole Man Edition.
this is perfect. collectors edition gets a pork bun plushie or something.

Vitacat

Beat the game on PS3; loved it.

Also own the steam edition with all the dlc, but my PC is pretty weak so can't run it anywhere near ideal settimgs. Tempted to get this definitive edition on ps4 but not for $60. Maybe $20.

Tizoc

Quoting the Square Enix Blog post on this:
Source: http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/pre-order-sleeping-dogs-definitive-edition-now

So:

- reworked character faces
- particle and ambient effects such as volumetric fog
- draw distances have been substantially improved
- gameplay tweaked, things that might have been too easy or difficult have been rejigged
- additional breakable enviroment objects
- higher res UI + xbox one button prompts

I'd like to see comparison pics of this.

I'd like to see comparison pics of this.
The one PS4 video that the other thread was made for shows some of the new world object damage... the shelves in that one room, for example. Not much to compare... before some of the objects were static or weren't there, now they break and drop debris. Looks pretty good... I mean, not much gameplay impact but a big part of the fun playing SD was the visual satisfaction of the combos, counters, environment attacks, etc.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Bought the PC version on Steam for $4 in April, and now I see the definitive is $30. Glad I bought it when I did.

It's $15 if you own the original game. The loyalty discount is valid until the end of the month.

UrbanRats

It's $15 if you own the original game. The loyalty discount is valid until the end of the month.

If you haven't played any of the DLC it may be worth it.
I already have them though, so i'm waiting for a lower price to have a couple of fog effects and a better AO.

psychotron

As great as I thought the original was, the impressions and reviews I've seen are very disappointing for a supposed definitive edition. I would have jumped on this immediately if it looked like they put care into it, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Will only buy for an extreme discount, or wait for PS+.

p3tran

Banned
hmmm... I already bought this both on last gen and on pc.
the whole dlc included stuff is a good thing, but not at this price.

this was one of the (not too many) games I totally enjoyed and played to finish, so its a bit bad that I have to choose between paying a bad price and not buying.
but its not a place I put myself in, so what can you do?
bottom line, for the time being, I choose to not buy. fix the price, and we talk

jwk94

The trophy thing is common with review copies that come early because the stuff isn't technically on the psn servers yet. You'll be able to see them about a day or two before release.

I bought the original and most of the DLC I wanted on Steam but still haven't had a chance to sit down and play it. I guess I'll wait to pick this up in some future sale at 75-80% off. I generally buy two copies of everything (one for me and one for my wife) and I'm starting to get slightly annoyed at all the re-issues, but I guess I can understand the separate SKU since it includes all the DLC.

Pollux

I don't have this on PC and have this preordered on the PS4, but seeing that it doesn't run well is really making me think ablut canceling and picking it up in January or February.

Better to have them there as an option rather than barely any content in the first year.. I wonder if GTAV is the last of them or what.

I agree completely! Love them, even though I've played just about each and every one previously.

I remember the drought between 2006 and 2008 on PS3 - would have LOVED to have remastered titles back then...

Off topic, what is your avatar of? My old boss had that as his profile pic too :D

Rosur

that sounds crap... Wish they did what they did with Tomb raider rather than a crappy next gen cash in with no work put in.

I should have my PS4 copy today as it was posted on Tuesday. It does sound like a disappointing port from what I've read so far and clearly pushed out to (a) capitalise on the new PS4 and Xbox One user base; and (b) offer an open-world sandbox GTA style game before the real deal arrives next month in the form of GTA V.

Chabbles

I agree completely! Love them, even though I've played just about each and every one previously.

I remember the drought between 2006 and 2008 on PS3 - would have LOVED to have remastered titles back then...

Off topic, what is your avatar of? My old boss had that as his profile pic too :D

Sorry about having to fire you dude, but you couldn't work for shit with all that glue you were huffing. anyway its from the movie "The Shining". ;P

Some Nobody

Ughhhh....the remaster is bad? highly depressing--I quite liked the PS3 version so I decided to pick it up, but I was already ticked that Rock* added a ton of cars, songs, and weapons and shit and S-E basically went "here's the DLC". Now they can't even get the game itself right??

PseudoViper

Maybe it's me, but it sort of feels stupid that two versions of this game exists on PC. So there's the better looking than ps3/360 version lol and then there's this version.

Do they have plans to taking down the older one? Also, are they going or planning on giving the Definitive Edition to those that have the older version too?

Top Bottom