• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition |OT| of Pork Bun References

thanks, I think I found a red letter cash thing some sites I read said this game should have all 24 DLC packs it seems that PSN has some paid EXP packs for like $2 in 2012 are those in this game somewhere?

since the world is open spend most of my hours collecting Health Shrined and Jades I could find

Loving this game world, love driving the bikes

AmyS

Gamespot review:

If Square Enix is looking to turn "Definitive Edition" into a brand, it's doing so with varying results.
The visual improvements to the two year old version of Sleeping Dogs are not as discernable as they were in the convincingly overhauled Tomb Raider, a game that had a much shorter release gap between its original and Definitive versions. The improvements in lighting and textures in Sleeping Dogs are only noticeable through side-by-side comparisons, which is disappointing.
Conversely, Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition serves as a testament to the quality and high standards originally set by the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions from 2012. And let's not forget the PC version, which boasted an exquisitely high frame rate, whereas the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions are locked at 30 frames per second.

For better or worse, Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition is not that much different from your standard issue Game of the Year Edition. That is to say, you'll be treated one of the best open world crime adventures in recent years, and the game still looks great, if not dramatically different on its new hardware.

X-Factor

The "Definitive Edition" is a completely lazy port.

Look at the PS3 version of the Club Bam Bam mission. It has the karaoke song sung by the NPC "girls just wanna have fun" in the old version of this mission.

at 5:05 in the video.... PS3 version is more detailed for immersion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjjCR-DHkVo

In the "Definitive Version" the NPC does not sing anything and just stands there dancing.
I replayed this mission 6 times on the PS4 version to see if it triggers but it does not.

Looks like whoever programmed the definitive edition forgot the fine details like these events occurring.
Completely made that mission less memorable and less interesting in the process.

Corgi

Banned
big missed opportunity of not giving the 'boss fights' any unique moves or forms. They teased that stuff in the zodiac tournament dlc :/

Watched that GameSpot side-by-side video twice since it was really well done and it matched the words pretty well... doesn't seem like much of a re-release at all and more just a basic port. The new textures and face models really don't seem all that much different. Maybe the only two decent improvements seem like the new destructible world objects but they appear necessarily new-gen even; I mean I see no reason why the PS3 couldn't have the same minor environment destruction and I can't imagine just basic destruction would impact the frame rate much. Probably still better that they weren't in the original version so 30 FPS was more realistic but it's hardly a feature worthy of justifying full retail price again -- the destruction is pretty simple, generic, and linear. The second thing is the fog and humidity, and so far that looks pretty awesome but it's really the only thing on their list of 'new gen improvements' that really deserves to be on that list.

Look at the PS3 version of the Club Bam Bam mission. It has the karaoke song sung by the NPC "girls just wanna have fun" in the old version of this mission.

In the "Definitive Version" the NPC does not sing anything and just stands there dancing.
I replayed this mission 6 times on the PS4 version to see if it triggers but it does not.

Looks like whoever programmed the definitive edition forgot the fine details like these events occurring.
Completely made that mission less memorable and less interesting in the process.

WHAT THE FUCK!?

cafemomo

oh yeah
B0Cdi3-CEAIZHfJ.jpg:large

Corgi

Banned
how do you re-date a girl?

you can't. dating system isn't really a dating system... its pretty much just to unlock unlockable icons on the map lol, and to add flavor to wei shen's character that he's not going steady anytime soon.

It's kinda weird though. I dont recall ever sleeping with the karaoke lady. we just... sang karaoke... maybe banged later? But next mission its all of a sudden we are in a long relationship or something.

Permanently A

Its a shame that Squeenix will probably look at the sales for this game and go "welp, guess theres no interest for sleeping dogs 2!"

Corgi

Banned
Its a shame that Squeenix will probably look at the sales for this game and go "welp, guess theres no interest for sleeping dogs 2!"

eh, usually these hd ports are greenlit so the dev teams can play around with the new hardware before doing a new game.

even if ain't sleeping dogs, i'd hope those folks have something else in the kitchen besides that crappy looking f2p triad wars.

Porting SD1 and modding SD1 into TW would probably result in a much better SD2... A lot of the TW type features, in a sort of Payday 2 or even GTA SA sort of way, would be pretty awesome in a normal Sleeping Dogs story game. That's my silver lining for the two titles, at least.

you can't. dating system isn't really a dating system... its pretty much just to unlock unlockable icons on the map lol, and to add flavor to wei shen's character that he's not going steady anytime soon.

It's kinda weird though. I dont recall ever sleeping with the karaoke lady. we just... sang karaoke... maybe banged later? But next mission its all of a sudden we are in a long relationship or something.

why do they have extra things to say if you are wearing
The Ladykiller Set
? There has to be a way to replay a Date?

You can only get those items at face level 4

slop101

Banned
That's some fucking balls, charging full price for a lazy, direct port of an old game!

I guess I shouldn't be shocked, what with the industry's nickel & diming tactics, but coming on the heels of Last of Us, which upgraded nicely, and was $10 cheaper, this shit is just inexcusable and more than a little shameful.

jbw

Banned
Thy should have knocked at least $10 off from the get go. They're kind of pushing it by asking full price, and they might have even brought in more profit at a lower price.

The game is still good though, and the industry has been doing this type of thing for years. It's not a new practice. If only you self righteous consumers could see the bubble you're living in!

B-Dex

Almost platinumed on PS4. Only time I noticed a bad performance hit was going for the rogue cop gold award outside the police station. It was spawning lots of cops and all were firing at me. FPS crawled.

Otherwise it's been silky smooth.

Almost platinumed on PS4. Only time I noticed a bad performance hit was going for the rogue cop gold award outside the police station. It was spawning lots of cops and all were firing at me. FPS crawled.

Awesome and thanks for the follow up :)

vypek

I want to try to platinum it again when I get it after the price drops but I don't think I'll manage to do that flawless driving trophy again. lol

jbw

Banned
Most annoying thing about this game? Having to hold L2 just to walk around!

Okay, more like a pet peeve of mine, but still I hoped they would have changed that up. Crimey, it's ridiculous that the "default" controls have you running everywhere.

o_O

Seems like it released with so little fanfare... reviews have mostly been average and expected... I've seen no real marketing at all anywhere... almost no one on GAF seems to be replaying it. I wonder how it's selling...

Dommel

I'm the only one playing this on my friends list but damn if I'm not having a lot of fun with it.

Such an awesome game!

Seems like it released with so little fanfare... reviews have mostly been average and expected... I've seen no real marketing at all anywhere... almost no one on GAF seems to be replaying it. I wonder how it's selling...

- Has been on Steam sales for $7.50 or less many, many times
- Was free for PS3 PS+ Users
- "Definitive Edition" that suffers from some performance problems, and isn't significantly different than previous releases

Those alone should probably spell out the sales position. I don't know that any amount of marketing could have fixed these things.

CoolZombie

I grabbed it on PS4 too since I loved it so much on 360. It's still a quality game, and I do think it looks much better at 1080p but it isn't as big an overhaul visually as tomb raider was when it came to next gen.

^yeah the sales was just a minor curiosity tho, what strikes me more is that there was quite a lot of hype for a SD re-release before and all of it died so quickly in just a couple weeks from about Triad Wars announcement to the first SD DD reviews. i'm not surprised fewer people are interested; just that it's almost a ghost town here on gaf ;p

I bought this yesterday as it's £9.99 on Steam if you own the first version, I'm actually quite pleased with it, the differences are noticeable and since I'm not a FPS nut I can run it locked to 30 with everything maxed out.

Kimppis

I finished this on PS3 a day before GTAV came out and I was positively surprised. Guess I should have waited. Atleast I didn't get any DLC or the platinum trophy, so I will certainly get the PS4 version eventually, but not for 60€, that's for sure. There's no regular case at all!? Umm.. OK.

omonimo

Banned
If only the Definitive Edition ran that smooth on consoles lol.
I'm not calling it butt smooth, but it drops 25 fps in the taxed scenes, on ps4. I mean, of course, I'm not defending this port to missed the target of 30 fps steady, but it runs definitely better than the most free roaming out on ps360 in the past, which run 25 fps most of the time.

KiteGr

I've heard it suffers from serious framerate problems on both current gen versions.
How much of it is true?

gossi

I've heard it suffers from serious framerate problems on both current gen versions.
How much of it is true?

It's pretty bad on Xbox One. The Digital Foundry comparisons are from the opening of the game, which runs quite well - when you get into fully open world gameplay it can be sucky. Playable, but sucky.

Just got this on sale for Xbox One, so for Xbox One version owners here is a quick brightness recommendation.

Set it to 72. I find that anything higher makes the darkest blacks looks grey. It should help a lot with any black crush issues.

Just got this on sale for Xbox One, so for Xbox One version owners here is a quick brightness recommendation.

Set it to 72. I find that anything higher makes the darkest blacks looks grey. It should help a lot with any black crush issues.

Oddly enough, i didn't notice really any black crush issues

Dammit, I need to get back to this

So i platinum the game on the ps3 and i really like it, besides the obvious difference in resolution is the performance on the ps4 at least equal to the last gen? because if that is the case i will buy it, no way is worst right?

Stormus

Finished SD: DE this weekend. Pretty fun overall, although this is a straight last-gen port which is disappointing. The hand-to-hand combat is very good for this genre. If they released a sequel, I'd def consider it.

I picked up this game this weekend on Steam since it was on sale. Wow, its fantastic so far. The story actually is pretty good right now and it grabs you. So far, for me personally, this game shits all over GTA4 and 5.

KyleCross

It's $7.49 on the Humble store right now: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/sleepingdogs_definitive_storefront

I was going to bite until I saw the Digital Foundry video showing the two versions side by side, the old verison actually looks much better... Shame S-E made it so you can no longer purchase that version, but you can actually get the old version right now via the Humble Bundle, but you gotta spend a total of $15.

I'll still probably do it tho as I never got to play the DLC.

Korosenai

It's $7.49 on the Humble store right now: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/sleepingdogs_definitive_storefront

I was going to bite until I saw the Digital Foundry video showing the two versions side by side, the old verison actually looks much better... Shame S-E made it so you can no longer purchase that version, but you can actually get the old version right now via the Humble Bundle, but you gotta spend a total of $15.

I'll still probably do it tho as I never got to play the DLC.

It's also for sale for $25 on the Xbox One.

Picked this up last week on PSN for just under £10, and I started playing a couple of nights ago. Man, this is such a fun game. I've done Year of the Snake, and I'm now about an hour into the main game running missions for Winston.

Does this edition include all of the DLC released previously? I'm mainly thinking of all the costumes I had previously; I used to dress Wei as a monk dude with rings on his wrists which filled up the face meter quicker (or whatever it's called), or the Bruce Lee jumpsuit. Unless they maybe unlock later in the game?

Still really enjoying this. I'd like to get it finished this week before Bloodborne releases, but that probably won't happen. I've just met Uncle Po and I've got some
wedding preparations
to make :'(. I also just finished the Zodiac Tournament, which was fun but very shallow, and it had amazing presentation.

Top Bottom