• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs: Nightmare in North Point |OT| Jiang Shi all up in Hong Kong

Sober

Man, this is the epitome of shit that doesn't matter, but.. isn't Jiang Shi the Mandarin term, and something like Geong Si the Cantonese? I want to say that Old Salty Crab got it right, at least.
Jiang Shi is just the romanization of it, but yeah, in Mandarin. Don't think they really romanize Cantonese pronunciation a lot anyway. Also, pretty sure besides the ambient dialogue, only the VO for Old Salty Crab was speaking proper Canto for the DLC, everyone else was just reading off the script.

It took me like 2 seconds during the intro when Old Salty Crab was talking to remember it was vampires they were talking about (since I did not recognize "Jiang Shi" at all)

Whoa that is actually DLC I like to buy! :eek: Sadly it's not available in Germany though :( Would it work if someone from the UK would buy it for me and then gift it to my account?

if the scripting breaks remember

Quit out of Sleeping Dogs
Watch Thunder Cats outtakes on YouTube
Load DOSBox
Wait for the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man to walk by
Fake-tweet a picture of the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man
Load Law of the West
Relaunch Sleeping Dogs

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
1:30 - 2:00 to complete the main mission and all side quests I'd say. Took me about two hours, with a bit of dilly dallying. ~2+ hours to complete main mission, side quests, and all five gold medals. Is my estimate.

Pricing is weird when you compare the US to Australia. We might get routinely price fucked when it comes to games (and everything else), but when you put into perspective the value of everything else around here, and the decent wage average, US$7 ain't bad for two hours of content. Hell, movie tickets usually cost more than that, and a single main course will cost more 90% of the time.

Relativity and all. I can imagine compared to the average price of games in the US and wage differences $7 is perspectively a lot more. Here, it's quite good!

UrbanRats

Yeah but a 2 hours movie has more content than a 2 hours open world game, given its narrative structure.
I think it's a bit over priced, but i still had fun going through it.

Also yeah, Not Ping was the best GF in the main game, Sandra would've also been a good choice.

Ken

I'm confused. Decided to update SD and it seems like I'm downloading something that's 4GB for it?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah but a 2 hours movie has more content than a 2 hours open world game, given its narrative structure.
I think it's a bit over priced, but i still had fun going through it.

I guess so. I think my point was that value is subjective. You cant really measure it. And though I was left with the lingering feeling of wanting more, and it definitely rides off core formula throughout, I really enjoyed what was on offer for as long as it lasted. I felt I got my $5 botched price value, and would probably be satisfied paying $7. Again due to the price relativity of being in Australia, and having still enjoyed ~2 hours of gameplay.

I'll explain a bit more about why I enjoyed it in my review, but my long and short of it is if you really loved Sleeping Dogs, and don't mind experiencing the same core gameplay extended over a two hour goofy story, for seven bucks, then it's worth it. If you're after a really drastic overhaul and significant new content, maybe not.

I feel like I must have missed something here, because I just finished the DLC and it was an hour and a half of fighting Jiang Shi over and over and over. And Jiang Shi are terrible to fight because you can't grab them and run them into environmental hazards without them shaking you off, which is the best part of the game. I loved the combat all the way through the main game, but the new enemy types in the DLC spoil it. 'Fight all these guys'. 'Fight these guys until your meter builds up and you can kill the big guy, then kill the rest'. 'Fight infinitely respawning guys that you need to throw into a thing, only they'll counter your first grab so you have to grab them twice'. Roll credits.

The story parts were goofy fun, but there could only have been maybe five or ten minutes of actual narrative content. And where was my Dim Mak?

Munin

Man, this is the epitome of shit that doesn't matter, but.. isn't Jiang Shi the Mandarin term, and something like Geong Si the Cantonese? I want to say that Old Salty Crab got it right, at least.

Why would it not matter? If Max Payne 3 came out and some random NPCs would speak Spanish instead of Portuguese, Rockstar would get shit for it. I guess this isn't the case here because "Asia is all the same LOLOL" and people don't give a shit anyway.

I haven't played the main game so I don't know how much they get right in general really, but for example I don't even get why Wei Shen is called that. That's not a Cantonese name.

EatChildren

Is there anywhere that the big demons respawn after finishing the campaign? I'm short on the medals for them.

Look for the wooden swords around the map. Often you'll see them and on your map it will show an enemy icon. Pull the sword out of the ground and it will summon a big one.

Dlc really should have a move list for your statue combos.

Been so long and I forgot all of them :(

Holy fuck.

I want a dlc based off that Jackie chan movie, twin dragon.

Co-op beatemup action

Having a lot of fun with this. Pretty shallow and hardly the best constructed DLC in the world, but it's three quid, so I'm more than happy with it.

Had some fun times not having to be a good guy in my AWESOME smart car - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKrKWR8bGq0

I also encountered quite a funny scripting error when the game didn't expect me to be in a car - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_E2WptOcbI

So much for running everyone over :(

I got about an hour into it last night and I look forward to wrapping it up tonight.

PS: driving is still fucking terrible. Depresses me every time.

kiryogi

Banned
Yknow what's actually neat is that I didn't realize Not Ping was related to the Sun On Yee @ all, and at that Salty's niece. XD

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
So this is 6.99 on Steam now. Did I miss something?

The price we submitted to Steam for Nightmare in North Point was unfortunately incorrect and if you downloaded the game in the first 24hrs you grabbed yourself a bargain! The price has now been corrected, putting the add-on pack back in-line with PlayStation and Xbox.

Revven

$3.75 for this is a steal, totally bought from GMG just now. I will play it when I'm able to, after the QL it seemed like it'd be a decent return back to Sleeping Dogs.

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
Ben Osborne, one of the regulars on the official Sleeping Dogs forum, came across two welcome faces on his playthrough of Nightmare in North Point when he decided to visit the Golden Koi after completing the main story:

He also came across some Jiang Shi in the North Point Dojo which I now use as a super natural fight club:

Here is a well known Triad's grave stone:

And for those who want to wear Wei's original clothing in the DLC, here's how:

I have decided I'm gonna skip this dlc and wait until a complete pack of all dlc that is bound to come later. I'm not feeling buying this to play it for 2 or 3 hours and shelfing the game away until the next dlc. I think I prefer to just buy the dlc all at once and play if for a straight weekend or something.

Posting from the other OT, since I guess it's a bit more relevant here.

Can you play Nightmare in North Point without downloading the patch? (on PS3.) I can't seem to find where to launch it and downloading a one gig patch on my internet connection is not that fun. I'm on 30% with over 3 hours to go.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Posting from the other OT, since I guess it's a bit more relevant here.

Can you play Nightmare in North Point without downloading the patch? (on PS3.) I can't seem to find where to launch it and downloading a one gig patch on my internet connection is not that fun. I'm on 30% with over 3 hours to go.

I don't think you're gonna be able to play it without the patch, NoNP comes up as a separate item when you boot the game after the company logos, you don't actually launch it from within the main game.

BY2K

Membero Americo
What the hell is with the randomly exploding cars in this DLC? Is this a glitch or a reference to something?

I don't think you're gonna be able to play it without the patch, NoNP comes up as a separate item when you boot the game after the company logos, you don't actually launch it from within the main game.

Bah what a bunch of crap. There goes the plan of spending the Sunday playing the dlc.

Top Bottom