• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SMT3 GET! - Official SMT3 impressions thread

Mine's on the way (in the mail) ... but I've still got probably 1/3 of Shadow Hearts: Covenant left to play through first.

shoplifter

EB didn't have the guide (sweet Kaneko art), so they told me to bring the receipt back next week to get my 20% off. Taking a shower then I plan to play.

\/\/ yeah, i looked.

shoplifter said:
EB didn't have the guide (sweet Kaneko art), so they told me to bring the receipt back next week to get my 20% off. Taking a shower then I plan to play.

Did you look for it? The guy there told me they didn't have it in too, but I checked myself and found it sitting on the shelf with the other guides.

Edit: Also, if you preorder the game, you're suppose to get 30% off the strategy guide. At least, that's the way it works at my ebgames.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I NEVER buy guides with my games, but I gotta say, I think I might go for this one...

The guide is beautiful and massive. Considering the difficulty of the game, it might come in handy as well...

NotMSRP

Doublejump guides are the only guides worth buying. It's not even worth the time to look at the cover of a Brady or Prima guide. Doublejump guides are made to be "collectables" while Brady and Prima are just "quick buckers".

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Greenpanda said:
Mine's on the way (in the mail) ... but I've still got probably 1/3 of Shadow Hearts: Covenant left to play through first.

I was going to pick this up today on pre-order, but I got hasty with the new PSTwo last night and got SH: Covenant. It's really really good so far! It's gotten better reviews than SMT as well. I think I'm just going to get my guide and wait to play it now.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I go into Gamestop around noonish, since I know they generally have their shipments in and all settled.
"Its odd, our shipment is late today."
Went to pick up my roommate from class, grabbed some groceries.
Go back.
Nope, still don't have it.
I swear, something or someone is keeping me from playing this game.

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Got the call just now! Woo woo!

Took long enough...

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
They still haven't fucking gotten it! This is driving me bat-shit crazy.

EB fucking has it, but I paid off the GS one with store credit, and I can't transfer that out. Fuck.

Brofist

All the topics complaining about this game getting delayed in the last month, and when it finally comes in everyone who's bought it is putting it aside while finishing other games :lol

RevenantKioku

Well I went and pissed off the manager at Gamestop.
"Hi, did you get your shipment."
"No, still not in."
"Okay, I'd like to cancel my pre-order then."
"But we'll get it in soon."
"Sorry but I'm busy and other stores have it."
<to the other co-worker> "Boy he's being mean to us."
"I don't want to hear that crap. Give me my money back."
"But its UPS's fault, not ours."
"I know. Its not your fault. I don't care. Give me my money back."

Got my money and went to EB.
I wouldn't have flown off the handle if she hadn't given me that "Boy he's being mean." I was being rather civil.
Oh well, time to play.

RevenantKioku

Been playing for over an hour.
Atmosphere is really good, and the music for the battles kick ass.
Speaking of the battles, they are really fast, and really fun. Trying to get more attacks in based off of weaknesses is really interesting.
And the monster talking is great. I just had to kill one monster, because she wouldn't let me talk to her friend, and then my one character was able to seduce the monster into joining.

Mike

I just picked mine up from Gamestop! I'm so excited to play, but I have to finish work, then Team America, so maybe late tonight I can pop it in.

shoplifter

This is frigging awesome, and a big FU to the folks who don't like the world map. That's how it's always been and how it should stay.

So far battles are just the right amount of challenge, and a few lucky crits by the other side can put you in a world of hurt. I shudder to see this on Hard, but I'll certainly do it after I finish this playthrough.

RevenantKioku

shoplifter said:
This is frigging awesome, and a big FU to the folks who don't like the world map. That's how it's always been and how it should stay.

So far battles are just the right amount of challenge, and a few lucky crits by the other side can put you in a world of hurt. I shudder to see this on Hard, but I'll certainly do it after I finish this playthrough.

Heh, try casting a spell that heals one of the enemies accidentally...on your first move..
Whoops! There go ALL YOUR ATTACKS and here come four free enemy hits (well there were four of them!), plus the one has more HP now. That was a fun one to get out of.

My stupid pixie (now high pixie) changed her Dia to Sacrifice though, which really sucks, I only have one little sucker with a healing spell now!

RevenantKioku

B00024W1U6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

RevenantKioku

^^
I just got there as I'm typing, but I got a few new demons while I was in the previous place, and I'm itching to fuse them now!
And the area has remixed music from the first one!
Shit this is awesome!

Edit: Just snagged a Jack Frost too haha!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Whoo! Fucking two hours of bus ride to get to the damned store(Hopped on the bus going the wrong way twice because IT WAS FUCKING COLD) but I finally got it. Then after just an hour, I had to work. And wait a second, why the shit am I not playing now?!

The game is crashing on me.

After the Conception I hit the menu button. Screen goes black. Music keeps playing. Nothing loads. I've replayed the intro five times now. With mod on, with mod off, with HDLoader, from (legit) disc, with wireless controller, without. Always freezes.

Finally decided to screw trying to dick around with the menu, I'll just go on up ahead and see what happens. Reach the save point. Save. Game freezes. Restart. Try and load game. Load screen freezes.

I can't find anyone else with this problem, and I am sad, since this was my most wanted game of the year. My PS2 is only a few months old, and has never had any problems with any other games. Don't think it's an anti-piracy thing. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON.

RevenantKioku

I uh. Wow. Played for nine and a half hours.
Spent the last while working on fusing together my first big demon, one the same level as I am (18). End result was a Megami Uzume that is kicking all sorts of ass now. On that note, I'm gonna do something else for a while.
Oh, and if you didn't know, when fusing, especially sacrifice fusion, you can always cancel out at the new demon stat screen, and set it up again to get different skills to go over. My Uzume has Media and Dia, not to mention Mazan and some other spells whose names aren't easy to remember.
Right now I'm using an Apsaras I fused, does quite well, a Hua Po I've been raising since early game, and my new Uzume. Between the battle system and the fusing, I'm getting an eerie Magic the Gathering/Pokemon vibe that is far too addicting.

Not too long ago I noticed RPGs were giving me all these wacky Lucky Charms characters to include in my names, but I wasn't using them. These beautiful plusses and slashes and stars and notes have been around forever, and I've been letting them go to waste! So I started sticking them into the occasional Pokemon or Nippon Ichi name, and tonight I figured hey, why not get all funky like a monkey and give my SMT character a stupid nickname with a tilde right in the goddamned middle of it. Which is what was causing my game to crash.

I guess the reason no one else had this problem is cuz no one else names their characters as stupidly as I do.

I'm too burnt out by replaying the same 20 minute section 5 times over to bother with it anymore tonight, but as a guy who usually hates any part of a game that isn't killing shit I sure did dig that 20 minutes of non-game the first time I played it. And the 4 other times I mashed X while reading crap on the web wasn't as terrible as it should have been.

Guide is fantastic. Double Jump are kings. I don't even know if I'll ever use it, but I just had to buy it to support a book with so much art and info being released here.

Socreges

Banned
I've always wanted to play this series, but I'm afraid of what might happen if I get hooked on an RPG with midterms coming up.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Combine said:
Oh man, if you're going to make an SMT sticky thread, couldn't you do a Paper Mario 2 one also?

I would hope everyone knows Paper Mario owns, however I still think a big chunk of people are discrediting this game.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I picked it up earlier this evening, but I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet. Power outage didn't help either. Hopeuflly I'll get some play time in tomorrow, but maybe not. Bad weekend for games for me, despite having extra days off from class.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
You jerks, now it's going to be agonizing waiting for the Toys R Us deal. ;)

Well atleast it'll give me time to finish Paper Mario before I pick it up. Unlimited time for quality I do not have (but I wish I did)!

ferricide

adelgary said:
Does it come with the soundtrack CD?
yerp. it's inside the case.

it says "INCLUDES LIMITED EDITION SOUNDTRACK CD!" on the back, so you can tell. though i dunno if they'll get through a single print run of this game in a hurry.

IJoel

Tamanon said:
This game flat out rocks! Finally made it to the Cathedral:) Great game thus far, hehe.

Same impressions here.

So far it's much more appealing and enjoyable than super boring SO3 and dulltastic SH: C.

Dujour

Banned
Ugh. My friend suggested that I wait for the TRU deal so I can get this, Xmen, and some other game, but I don't know if the ones then at TRU will have the soundtrack. What's a gal to do? Damned $50 games.

lordmrw

Picked it up earlier today and played it for about 3 and a half hours. Awesome, awesome game. I didn't really pay attention to the music; I guess i was too caught up in finally playing the game in english, something I thought would never happen. Only thing that sucks now is I don't have a PS2 of my own yet, so I have to leave it with my friend.

Top Bottom