• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

IrishNinja

i really hate having loose carts about - ive got first party cabinets for NES & Genesis, was debating an N64 one for loose SNES & SFC, as well as a couple N64's since i'm pretty sure they fit about the same (could be wrong). anyone seen any other good alternatives?

D-e-f-

Banned
i really hate having loose carts about - ive got first party cabinets for NES & Genesis, was debating an N64 one for loose SNES & SFC, as well as a couple N64's since i'm pretty sure they fit about the same (could be wrong). anyone seen any other good alternatives?

Anything made specifically for PAL SNES or SFC carts might have trouble fitting NTSC SNES carts as they're a bit bulkier. And of course N64 carts are even smaller. So make sure whatever you get has enough room for NTSC SNES carts if you have any (looking at your name now and realizing you're probably a PAL person?).

Well, this thing works:

G3Wefg8.jpg

I posted about it a year ago. It works well for SNES, but I just tried putting a Super Famicom game in it, and it didn't fit very well. It sorta fits...but not properly. I think the only thing holding it in place was the SNES games. Hah.

This is the only N64 cartridge holding thing I personally know of. I got it from a friend along with the games in it a few years ago for free.

IrishNinja

Well, this thing works:

there we go! almost bought a smaller one of that at a garage sale a weekend back but $20 seemed high, kinda wish i would've now. gonna totally keep an eye out for another locally, thanks man! hopefully i can make these 3 or 4 SFC carts fit somehow, haha.

ps i love that it's where you hide your sports games in shame too, heh

Got my second bookshelf and pretty much have the room back together and game cases finished. Still need another box of cases, but fuck cutting all those things to make NES games fit. Probably wait a while before I do that again.

The room is pretty small and my camera has gone to shit so it's pretty impossible for me to zoom out enough to see it all. I'm happy with how it all looks, though.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Got my second bookshelf and pretty much have the room back together and game cases finished. Still need another box of cases, but fuck cutting all those things to make NES games fit. Probably wait a while before I do that again.

The room is pretty small and my camera has gone to shit so it's pretty impossible for me to zoom out enough to see it all. I'm happy with how it all looks, though.

Get those toys away from the fucking windows, man!

IrishNinja

they're tricky, but it's just the angle of em...i know a few people who store their weed in those 1ups/power mushrooms so i assure it can be done

They will discolour.

Oh, gotcha. Yeah, I don't care about that. I'm not a toy collector. I'm going to put a curtain along the top 'cause that window looks like shit, so that'll block some of the light.

hooo doggie, i hope my may Hero had himself a good dremel for all those NES UGC's

Nope.

I'm not a handy guy at all. The only power tool I have is a screwdriver. I went to my parents and rummaged through my dads tools. He had a dremel, but the discs were breaking like every three cases. They live 30 minutes from any store that would sell heavier duty ones, so I wound up using one of these things:

The dremel kept melting the plastic also, which this thing didn't. Dremel was faster though, so I'm sure it's the better way to go if you have a better disc thing for it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I am actually thinking of getting a SNES but I have a few questions;

1. If I buy an European SNES can I get it to play US SNES games?

2. If I play a US SNES game in an European SNES will it run well or will the SNES try and run it in 50Hz?

3. The SNES uses AV cable right?

4. Which is cheaper to buy European SNES or US SNES games?

ballerusk

I can answer 3 of those questions I believe

1) Yes, by using a bridge adaptor like this

3) Yes

4) From what I've seen PAL-games are more expensive than US-games as you can get US "carts only" for a few dollars each on eBay (and flea markets, yard sales etc. if you're in the US)

ps i love that it's where you hide your sports games in shame too, heh

Haha. Nah, I actually like sports games. :p

They're just in there because...well, they were in there when I got the thing. Hah. I don't own anymore loose SNES games than those.

Most of the ones in there besides NBA Jam and NBA Hangtime (both of which are AMAZING games) are okay at best, though. Heh.

TnK

I am actually thinking of getting a SNES but I have a few questions;

1. If I buy an European SNES can I get it to play US SNES games?

2. If I play a US SNES game in an European SNES will it run well or will the SNES try and run it in 50Hz?

3. The SNES uses AV cable right?

4. Which is cheaper to buy European SNES or US SNES games?
From what I saw on ebay, PAL games were cheaper. I wouldn't recommend getting PAL games though, 50Hz and all. Check online if US games run at 60 FPS. Another method is:
Buy a Japanese SNES and get one of those adapters. A much better option. Japanese SNES in really good condition can be found much cheaper on ebay compared to the US ones. I regret not buying a Japanese SNES.

IrishNinja

Nope.

I'm not a handy guy at all. The only power tool I have is a screwdriver. I went to my parents and rummaged through my dads tools. He had a dremel, but the discs were breaking like every three cases. They live 30 minutes from any store that would sell heavier duty ones, so I wound up using one of these things:

The dremel kept melting the plastic also, which this thing didn't. Dremel was faster though, so I'm sure it's the better way to go if you have a better disc thing for it.

damn...well, that thing looks way better than an exacto knife!
i got lucky cause my brother's handy, went to borrow his dremel & it went to crap so we bought a new one at home depot. i hated it at first, the bit for cutting plastic was kinda crap and mostly just got hot & either warped the plastic or started to thread it off onto itself, it was just a mess. i used a smaller head with some mesh on it (clearly meant for cutting metals) and BAM, i could get them done in moments once i got it down right.

still, your collection looks great man!

Current collection. It isn't really organized at the moment (there's 6 Mega Man games in UGCs, mixed in there), and I still have a few games in vertical cases that need to be switched over at some point:

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

So what's the report on the component SNES mod? Pretty good? I assume there would still be input lag when plugging directly into a modern TV? Are you all using those with a Framemiester?

Also - crazy that Super Metroid is so high. I thought prices had peaked in general?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Oh, hi, welcome to the future.

SNES game prices are stupid here.

Unless you're in Japan.

Actually SCIV might not be a bad one to get for Super Famicom. It's uncensored. Pools of blood, baby.

TnK

Oh, hi, welcome to the future.

SNES game prices are stupid here.
I don't like these prices future person, not one bit.

Unless you're in Japan.

Actually SCIV might not be a bad one to get for Super Famicom. It's uncensored. Pools of blood, baby.
I just remembered that super CVIV has zero text. Seems like I will be getting the JP version then.

Also, anyone knows when stone age gamer will restock on SD2SNES?

just got myself a used PAL SNES for 50 euro with 2 controllers :)

Now for the games, can someone recommend me a quick list of say, 10 absolute MUST HAVE SNES games (if there is such a consensus)?

So far, i already have my eye on getting Terranigma and Yoshi's Island (I already do own Chrono Trigger and FF VI/III on other formats so not interested in those)

shaneskim

just got myself a used PAL SNES for 50 euro with 2 controllers :)

Now for the games, can someone recommend me a quick list of say, 10 absolute MUST HAVE SNES games (if there is such a consensus)?

So far, i already have my eye on getting Terranigma and Yoshi's Island (I already do own Chrono Trigger and FF VI/III on other formats so not interested in those)

As far as stone cold classics go I would suggest...

Super Mario Kart
F Zero
Super Metroid
Castlevania 4
Zelda LTTP
SF2 Turbo
Mario All stars + SMW (single cart)
Contra 3
Secret of Mana
Starfox

Then look at Zombies, Axelay, Super Aleste, Cybernator, Illusion of time / gaia, Actraiser, Pilotwings, Megaman 7 and X1-3, Ghouls and ghosts, DKC 1-3,

p.s. If you are looking at cart only and will consider Japanese then check out japangamestock.com. 4 for 3 on loose carts or there is someone on eBay who sells 4 carts per lot for reasonable prices.

Krelian

As far as stone cold classics go I would suggest...

Super Mario Kart
F Zero
Super Metroid
Castlevania 4
Zelda LTTP
SF2 Turbo
Mario All stars + SMW (single cart)
Contra 3
Secret of Mana
Starfox

Then look at Zombies, Axelay, Super Aleste, Cybernator, Illusion of time / gaia, Actraiser, Pilotwings, Megaman 7 and X1-3, Ghouls and ghosts, DKC 1-3,
Solid list. Contra 3 is Super Probotector and Starfox is Starwing in Europe. Also, the bolded games should not be prioritized due to their insane prices.

-KRS-

Also, anyone knows when stone age gamer will restock on SD2SNES?

It seems they have stock of the universal version. http://www.stoneagegamer.com/sd2snes-deluxe-uni.html
Or do you not want that one? Personally I'd think that's the version to get. There's no difference other than the cart working in every unit; US, PAL and JP.

You can also get it from krikkz store here and it comes in a universal cart as well, although you only get a cart from them and not the other stuff that stoneagegamer puts in the "deluxe" edition. http://shop.retrogate.com/SD2SNES-SD2SNES.htm
That's where I bought mine. Also the cart I got from retrogate did not have holes drilled for the LEDs under the label, but you can still see them light up through the cart. They're not really important anyway, other than to see them light up when you hold select on the console when you want to reboot into the cart menu again. And for that you see the LEDs enough to know when you can let go of the reset button. I've never had any other use for those LEDs really.

Edit: Oh wait, shit it was totally in stock when I started writing this post but now it says out of stock! Or maybe I didn't look hard enough. Either way, sorry. =/
You could still get a cart from krikkz though, but he also sends them from Ukraine I believe so perhaps not the best option for people in the US.

TnK

It seems they have stock of the universal version. http://www.stoneagegamer.com/sd2snes-deluxe-uni.html
Or do you not want that one? Personally I'd think that's the version to get. There's no difference other than the cart working in every unit; US, PAL and JP.

You can also get it from krikkz store here and it comes in a universal cart as well, although you only get a cart from them and not the other stuff that stoneagegamer puts in the "deluxe" edition. http://shop.retrogate.com/SD2SNES-SD2SNES.htm
That's where I bought mine. Also the cart I got from retrogate did not have holes drilled for the LEDs under the label, but you can still see them light up through the cart. They're not really important anyway, other than to see them light up when you hold select on the console when you want to reboot into the cart menu again. And for that you see the LEDs enough to know when you can let go of the reset button. I've never had any other use for those LEDs really.

Edit: Oh wait, shit it was totally in stock when I started writing this post but now it says out of stock! Or maybe I didn't look hard enough. Either way, sorry. =/
You could still get a cart from krikkz though, but he also sends them from Ukraine I believe so perhaps not the best option for people in the US.
This has been really helpful, thanks. I went to stone age gamer yesterday and it was out of stock. Maybe they restocked and it went out of stock really fast. I don't live in the US, but what can be the problems if they ship from Ukraine? Also, is this website reliable?
The price he offers is much cheaper compared to stone age gamer, which is cool, and I don't really need the other stuff as I can easily purchase them here. The one in stone age gamer simply looks better.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Solid list. Contra 3 is Super Probotector and Starfox is Starwing in Europe. Also, the bolded games should not be prioritized due to their insane prices.

Mega Man X isn't insane, just the sequels.

I think I saw a boxed copy of Mega Man X for over $100 yesterday at the flea market...along with a bunch of other boxed SNES games for around that.

I'm so glad that I already own most of the games they had. @_@

This has been really helpful, thanks. I went to stone age gamer yesterday and it was out of stock. Maybe they restocked and it went out of stock really fast. I don't live in the US, but what can be the problems if they ship from Ukraine? Also, is this website reliable?
The price he offers is much cheaper compared to stone age gamer, which is cool, and I don't really need the other stuff as I can easily purchase them here. The one in stone age gamer simply looks better.

I got mine from Retrogate, no problems at all. I'm in the US though, so can't help you with your Ukraine concerns.

Yeah, it's the most affordable of the MM SNES games and should probably be bought because of it but it's still not exactly cheap.

You can get it for $25 pretty easily on eBay. I see it cheaper locally all the time since it's a pretty common game. It's also the best Mega Man game on the system (maybe overall), so for once fate worked out in everyone's favor.

-KRS-

Oh there aren't any issues per se. Just that if you live outside of Europe you might have to pay customs tax for it. That's all. And yes the site is reliable. As I mentioned it's krikkz own webshop. He's the guy behind all the Everdrives and also the guy who actually makes the SD2SNES PCBs. I ordered mine from him and received it in about a week or so. Haven't had any problems with it whatsoever.

Edit: Apparently it's "krikzz" not "krikkz". Oh well. :p

TnK

I got mine from Retrogate, no problems at all. I'm in the US though, so can't help you with your Ukraine concerns.
How long did yours take to arrive?
Oh there aren't any issues per se. Just that if you live outside of Europe you might have to pay customs tax for it. That's all. And yes the site is reliable. As I mentioned it's krikkz own webshop. He's the guy behind all the Everdrives and also the guy who actually makes the SD2SNES PCBs. I ordered mine from him and received it in about a week or so. Haven't had any problems with it whatsoever.

Edit: Apparently it's "krikzz" not "krikkz". Oh well. :p

Site says it may take 60 days to arrive for some places. I'd rather wait for a restock from Stone Age Gamer. I kind of regret not ordering the thing when it was still in stock almost a month ago.

Current collection. It isn't really organized at the moment (there's 6 Mega Man games in UGCs, mixed in there), and I still have a few games in vertical cases that need to be switched over at some point:

Kudos to your collection dude. Just realized how cool it is.

Krelian

You can get it for $25 pretty easily on eBay. I see it cheaper locally all the time since it's a pretty common game. It's also the best Mega Man game on the system (maybe overall), so for once fate worked out in everyone's favor.
The PAL version (cart only) usually ends at €40 on Ebay.de (around $54). It used to be cheaper but I haven't really seen it go below 40 for a while now. Maybe he can find it at local shops somewhere but I wouldn't know where.

-KRS-

The PAL version (cart only) usually ends at €40 on Ebay.de (around $54). It used to be cheaper but I haven't really seen it go below 40 for a while now. Maybe he can find it at local shops somewhere but I wouldn't know where.

Yeah that's true. It usually ends at around 400 SEK on the auction site I usually buy retro games from these days. When I bought it I think I paid 250 SEK for a cart... it's only going to get more expensive with SNES games as time goes on isn't it? :(

Edit: Oh wait aren't you the guy who I helped register for that site btw? :D
Did you find any german-language games for a good price yet? :)

Edit: Hmm, perhaps even 400 isn't enough these days. Here's one that ends in 3 minutes and it's up to 560 SEK now. http://www.tradera.com/item/301513/199971575/mega-man-x-till-snes
And I just tried to bid on a Castlevania 1 cart there but I got outbid on it, seems that people usually pay around 300 SEK for those there. I'm pretty close to giving up on that site. Prices are getting out of control, even when you take into account that prices have been going up worldwide. The only thing there that is worth it these days are Famicom and Super Famicom games. And the German-language games that no one wants unless they can read German.

560 SEK is $87 btw...

Kudos to your collection dude. Just realized how cool it is.

Thanks. I've been lucky with some of it, whether that's buying Secret of Mana for $10 as a kid, finding nice hauls in out-of-the-way thrift/junk stores, or taking re-sellers when they didn't know what they had (ie Run Saber for $8). Still have about 35 games that I really want to get, and beyond that I'll probably just get whatever I find in the wild.

One thing that's really driving me nuts is the vertical or horizontal cases dilemma. I love how the vertical cases have a standard template spine, with the publisher, but the actual layout of the original horizontal artwork is so much more interesting to me.

Picked up my component modded SNES today from a local fellow gaffer:

It is beyond beautiful. It took me like 15 minutes to figure out why my fucking TV kept skipping the component input, but after that little scare I am blown away by how much better it looks over composite. I knew it'd look better, but I seriously had no clue it would look this much better.

I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow. My camera has kind of gone to shit so we'll see how it goes.

How long did yours take to arrive?

I think it was three weeks. Once it got to the states it sat in New York for like two weeks, then one day it was just at my door.

It is beyond beautiful. It took me like 15 minutes to figure out why my fucking TV kept skipping the component input, but after that little scare I am blown away by how much better it looks over composite. I knew it'd look better, but I seriously had no clue it would look this much better.

I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow. My camera has kind of gone to shit so we'll see how it goes.

I think it was three weeks. Once it got to the states it sat in New York for like two weeks, then one day it was just at my door.

Holy shit that's awesome. Can you provide direction on who to contact for one and the cost? How much better is this than s video?

How much did it cost to have done, and what are the benefits over s-video or rgb?

Top Bottom