• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

IrishNinja

like Bahamut Lagoon, it's one of the ones we didn't get from Square's golden era; i think that alone would pique my interest! definitely post back with ongoing impressions, Shining

TnK

I just bought some really cheap S-video cables, for about $5. The signal output is not affected by the quality of the product, is it?

IrishNinja

^it's an analog cable so yeah, i believe it is. even with a crappy s-vid cable though, you're bound to see a marked improvement! assuming you were on composhit before

Scored a job I've been wanting for the past month that pays pretty decently last week. Looks like I'll be able to fund that copy of Demon's Crest I've been wanting after all!

I just bought some really cheap S-video cables, for about $5. The signal output is not affected by the quality of the product, is it?

Yeah, but even a sketchy quality S-Video cable is going to be a hell of an improvement over composite.

I prefer composite in most cases, especially for 8bit consoles. The way they designed the graphics (dithering) is intended for composite. Colors and detail are reproduced correctly. Even then, I like it better for anything I hook up to a CRT. It just hits that nostalgic button, which is a big reason I go back.

TnK

Well that kinda sucks =/

I guess I will use these cables and order another better set. Anyone has a specific cable that I should keep an eye on?

Color bleeding is nostalgic for me only for 32-bit era consoles, anything before that, I haven't really experienced that much.

IrishNinja

ehh i know this is all highly subjective & to each their own, but washed out colors, dot crawl & such weren't features for me, they were the best i could do at the time. there's also an argument to be made for art styles & colors that were intended for RGB display, such as color palettes used for front & back box art on numerous NES boxes, ad pictures, etc.

i get wanting to see as you did in the day, but i just want the game to play & sound as it did (on original hardware), if the system could put out a better signal natively i don't feel i'm betraying the creator's intentions by passing on muddy colors for dithering in between bleed, color banding etc. then again, this is coming from a dude who's moved past CRT's.

TL;DR never going back

Well that kinda sucks =/

I guess I will use these cables and order another better set. Anyone has a specific cable that I should keep an eye on?

the SNES one i used prior was a simple gamestop multi-system plug, it had composite + S-vid and supported SNES amongst a few others...i'm sure it's not too terribly hard to find on ebay now? i was pretty content with it prior though!

I had an XRGB-2, made cables for it, etc. The whole deal. I had fun with it. I now use composite almost every time. I know that's a personal preference thing, but there's something appealing about dot crawl and color bleed after years of pristine RGB IQ from the XRGB-2 and emulation on the PC.

TnK

Wait, so all of those small pixels were made so that it starts bleeding? I really hate those two colored pixels next to each other.

stuff like this:
maxresdefault.jpg

IrishNinja

yeah, there's some excellent examples of what Garopa is talking about here, check Hard Drivin' (i think that's it?), the 4th screen down. Socket below it is another one, and the Chemical Plant Zone tubes in Sonic 2 is yet another. it's a valid thing & he's right to say some games designed elements around it, i first learned of dithering here with Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure as an example. i think some of the ones on that page are more dramatic though; the effect is absolutely broken in RGB, for a few of em.

of course, the tradeoff brings stuff like the muddied text in Midnight Resistance there as well, but that's why this stuff is all whatever works best for you. some prefer the clean look of certain emulators, but i think a lot is lost in translation & don't care for it myself.

TnK

Guess I will find out when my cables arrive. Will experiment with both, and see what is the best. Thanks for the input you guys.

You know, things don't look as bad as the screens taken on that website on my TV. Apparently the TV I have is some high quality CRT.

IrishNinja

i'm right there with you, bradders

mischief makers was the first N64 game i booted up when i got my stuff setup after all these years, thanks again man!

yeah, there's some excellent examples of what Garopa is talking about here, check Hard Drivin' (i think that's it?), the 4th screen down. Socket below it is another one, and the Chemical Plant Zone tubes in Sonic 2 is yet another. it's a valid thing & he's right to say some games designed elements around it, i first learned of dithering here with Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure as an example. i think some of the ones on that page are more dramatic though; the effect is absolutely broken in RGB, for a few of em.

of course, the tradeoff brings stuff like the muddied text in Midnight Resistance there as well, but that's why this stuff is all whatever works best for you. some prefer the clean look of certain emulators, but i think a lot is lost in translation & don't care for it myself.

Great link. My favorite examples are the Mega Man ones on the first page:
http://www.chrismcovell.com/gotRGB/rgb_compare.html

Mega Man via RGB... gross. Not that I have an RGB NES, it's just a great example of how games just don't look right to me all pristine with the color palette almost totally different. This is less of an issue with the SNES, which looks amazing with RGB, especially if you have one of the 1CHIP models.

Composite just feels right, though heh.

IrishNinja

speaking of, do any of you guys have a good example of 1Chip vs non? last one i saw around here, the effect just looked minimal & not worth pursuing to me, but i'd give it another look if there's something more in depth

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Great link. My favorite examples are the Mega Man ones on the first page:
http://www.chrismcovell.com/gotRGB/rgb_compare.html

Mega Man via RGB... gross. Not that I have an RGB NES, it's just a great example of how games just don't look right to me all pristine with the color palette almost totally different. This is less of an issue with the SNES, which looks amazing with RGB, especially if you have one of the 1CHIP models.

Composite just feels right, though heh.
The color palette was an issue because old RGB mods used the PlayChoice 10 PPU which had a shifted color palette.

But apparently, the new NESRGB kit includes a color palette identical to the original NES.

Shining

like Bahamut Lagoon, it's one of the ones we didn't get from Square's golden era; i think that alone would pique my interest! definitely post back with ongoing impressions, Shining
Will do! A couple of years ago i played through Treasure of the Rudras and while the story and dialogue are all over the place, the music and gameplay is awesome. dem animated battle sprites. dat FFVI engine come to use again. Hnnnggh!

I've been looking at playing Bahamut Lagoon for a long time now but the strategic parts puts me off a bit.

Mzo

Well, the SNES puts out a decent composite and a great s-video image. So does the PC Engine. RGB isn't as impressive at that point.

Seeing the difference between the horrible composite output of an SMS or Genesis compared to RGB is like a religious experience.

I'm converting RGB to component and playing it back on a CRT, so it's not as clinically perfect as a broadcast monitor would be but it is a massive, massive upgrade for those systems.

Can an NES be modded for Component out? The Master System I bought is coming pre-modded with RCA/Svideo and I dropped my SNES off at a fellow Gaffers house last night for some component goodness. Now I feel like I should get all my systems done. That would leave my Geneis/CD, NES, and N64.

Will do! A couple of years ago i played through Treasure of the Rudras and while the story and dialogue are all over the place, the music and gameplay is awesome. dem animated battle sprites. dat FFVI engine come to use again. Hnnnggh!

I've been looking at playing Bahamut Lagoon for a long time now but the strategic parts puts me off a bit.

I really like Bahamut Lagoon. Managing the dragons is a little goofy and fucking up in a battle can be rage inducing, but the story is pretty interesting and different.

I did not care for Treasure of the Rudras. Actually never finished it and it's a rare thing for me to quit a game once I jump in.

Should I buy Super Metroid from an Amazon seller?

Not for $46, which is the cheapest one I see. Also, sellers can put pictures up now on Amazon. There is no reason for anyone selling games like this not to post pictures of the actual cart.

EDIT: Damn, I guess that's about what they go for these days online. I paid $26 for mine last year. Fucking SNES prices...

Not for $46, which is the cheapest one I see. Also, sellers can put pictures up now on Amazon. There is no reason for anyone selling games like this not to post pictures of the actual cart.

EDIT: Damn, I guess that's about what they go for these days online. I paid $26 for mine last year. Fucking SNES prices...
That game has exploded in value, probably because of the speedrun stuff in the age of livestreaming.

Peagles

Dang, I got mine locally (NTSC) for $20 NZD just a few months ago. Not long after got brand new condition CIB JP version off eBay for $30 USD (I prefer the JP art).

I'm in a bad position financially from now pretty much for an entire year so maybe that's a good thing. Not gonna be able to afford luxuries like SNES games, particularly if they're exploding this hard!

TnK

Oh man, SMW is sooooooo goooooooood. Why can't they make 2D Mario like this anymore? The new game's physics are all over the place, and imo, this is the Mario with the tightest controls.

I am putting alttp on hold until those s-video cables arrive. In the meantime, I am in love with the CRT TV that I own. Barely has color bleeding compared to most TVs that I saw screen shots of.

@sixteen-bit:
Could be that the start is boring and it may become better. This is the second time I heard link's awakening is better though.

It's mail time!

After this, Mega Man 7, and my Master System I am pretty spent for a while. I don't have a SNES at the moment since it's being component modded, but I opened it up and it is real, unlike that last one I got from eBay.

Yeah, Super Metroid's been around $38-50 on Amazon & eBay for the last year or so. Sht's crazy.

Yeah. I must have been lucky. I got mine off of someone on the Nintendo Age forums (same with the score above). I got Super Metroid and Castlevania 4 for $55 last year.

TnK

The whole family:

It's beautiful. Still need Legends and Belmont's Revenge for Game Boy for it to actually feel complete to me. But, console portion is done now at least.

Dude, that is beautiful <3, all you need now is RoB.
Wait, isn't CVXX on the SNES considered bad though? I have a feeling I asked this here before.
CV is one of my all time favorite series, I guess the avatar gives it away lol. Something about those games just feel awesome. Whether they are the older classics, or the newer ones, they simply rock.

Plus, those cases look really good. Time to search for them on ebay. What was their name again?

MoxManiac

Wait, isn't CVXX on the SNES considered bad though? I have a feeling I asked this here before.

Plus, those cases look really good. Time to search for them on ebay. What was their name again?

It's not bad, it's just overshadowed by the PC Engine version.

It's not bad, it's just overshadowed by the PC Engine version.

That, and the lack of 8-way whip control after Super Castlevania IV led to people back in the day giving it undeserved hate. It's actually a fine game.

The PC Engine and SNES versions are basically completely different games, by the way.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
gathered my castlevania stuffs looks like im missing a few im kicking myself for not picking up the complete kid dracula game for $25 they had on estar

castlevaniastuff_zps86977332.jpg

edit: ew it came out blurry

CV is one of my all time favorite series, I guess the avatar gives it away lol. Something about those games just feel awesome. Whether they are the older classics, or the newer ones, they simply rock.

Universal Game Cases.

DX is pretty good. Not amazing like Rondo or Four, but not bad either.

The first video game I ever remember getting was Simon's Quest, been in love with the series ever since. I can still vividly picture my birthday and seeing that cover art. I still love the game despite the hate it gets. I played it for hours and hours as a kid, never getting far, but back then it didn't matter.

This dude's collection on NA is fucking awe inspiring:

Thread with more pics here.

TnK

gathered my castlevania stuffs looks like im missing a few im kicking myself for not picking up the complete kid dracula game for $25 they had on estar

castlevaniastuff_zps86977332.jpg

edit: ew it came out blurry
Wow, I just realized that from this pic, the only two games I did not complete are C VII and the 64 one.

I recommend getting the first ps2 game, as it is quite fun. Really short too, almost 5 hours long. Ignore the second, it is REALLY boring.

Universal Game Cases.

DX is pretty good. Not amazing like Rondo or Four, but not bad either.

The first video game I ever remember getting was Simon's Quest, been in love with the series ever since. I can still vividly picture my birthday and seeing that cover art. I still love the game despite the hate it gets. I played it for hours and hours as a kid, never getting far, but back then it didn't matter.
As long as it is good, I may play it. Added more money to my Internet card, so it's time to buy stuff via ebay!
Also, hearing first time experiences with games is always awesome. My gateway to CV was SotN in 2005. Oddly enough, I never bought the game in the PSX days. Even though I loved the Gothic atmosphere, I did not enjoy it as much as I'd hoped, and to this day find the praise a bit over rated. I then bought HoD and AoS. I enjoyed HoD, but AoS, I fell in love with that game. That same year I also played RoB on PCE, and it became my favorite old school CV game after also going through the other older classics.
Not saying SotN is bad, I actually rank it my third favorite in the metroidvania list of games, its just that I felt the stage design was a bit lacking, and the inverted castle always makes me want to stop playing. Saying all this makes me want to go through the old CV games again, lol.

HaL64

Oh man, SMW is sooooooo goooooooood. Why can't they make 2D Mario like this anymore? The new game's physics are all over the place, and imo, this is the Mario with the tightest controls.

Yeah I don't understand everyone's insistence on "wii u super mario 3d world" being sooo good. After playing SM3DW, I go back and play SMW on snes and have 10x's more fun.

TnK

Yeah I don't understand everyone's insistence on "wii u super mario 3d world" being sooo good. After playing SM3DW, I go back and play SMW on snes and have 10x's more fun.
Hey dude, you will hate me now, but SM3DW is my favorite 3D Mario as of this moment. SMW feels like a 2D version of 3DW as in it brings me the same amount of joy. I feel that the love 3DW gets is well deserved. I was one of the people that got the game 2 days early too, the reaction in the OT was hilarious /brag\

wow........ this is really amazing.......

People were thirsty for a traditional Zelda after Zelda II, LTTP scratched that itch. It's a decent game, but it's overrated a lot here.

Those are fighting words!

One game that really seems to be climbing in price recently is the first Pocky and Rocky. I've gotten sniped on every auction I've tried to win it.

Anth0ny

3DW is great, but there's only one Super Mario World.

I was randomly thinking about this today, and yes, Super Mario World is still my #1 favorite SNES game of all time, with Super Metroid a close second and probably Chrono Trigger at #3. What a fucking timeless classic.

Holy shit Super metroid is 50$ loose now! I literally posted in here a few months ago with my purchase of a complete boxed copy for that price wtf is up with the nostalgia inflation!

EDIT: OMFG YOUR GUYS CASTLEVANIA COLLECTIONS ARE GODLY! I'm so jealous! lol thats my favorite series and I'm making progress completing it but damn I cant even find Dracula X nor Rondo for a decent price to bite. Other than that I only need Bloodlines, the Gameboy (original GB) games, then I'm complete myself :)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm looking at PriceCharting and it's like SNES games as a whole starting jacking up in price around late 2011. What the heck happened?

Those are fighting words!

One game that really seems to be climbing in price recently is the first Pocky and Rocky.

Completely agree (on both points, lttp is excellent)

But yeah, I had been putting off buying Pocky and Rocky for a while and now I regret it. I passed up a complete in box on ebay for $50 a while ago, which now seems like a really good deal. I actually just bought the Japanese version which I found for $35, which seemed reasonable enough.

On a side note, I finally got my copy of Nightmare Busters in the mail the same day.

Top Bottom