• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Spades

Anyone else get one of these in the post this week?

tumblr_mzginxDsks1qiv7luo1_500.jpg

I've been looking forward to its arrival for almost 2 years so it was a nice surprise today!

HaL64

Anyone else get one of these in the post this week?

tumblr_mzginxDsks1qiv7luo1_500.jpg

I've been looking forward to its arrival for almost 2 years so it was a nice surprise today!

Are you saying you ordered it 2 years ago and it just got there?
Also is the cart extra tall or is that just some optical illusion?

Mzo

It's an unreleased SNES run and gun that Super Fighting Team is making and selling in the year of our lord Luigi 2013.

He put in a preorder when it was announced roughly two years ago. It's been shipping out to those first few people the past couple of weeks. I put in my order much later, so who knows when I'll see it.

All I've heard so far is "it's difficult" and "I haven't put time into it yet."

Finally getting around to posting this thread.

Here is my humble collection:

SNYVMTX.jpg

It's not as good as the one I had when I was a teenager, I stupidly sold it all to buy Final Fantasy 8. However, I've rebought a lot of it (and in some cases gained new stuff).

Games I'm hunting for in 2014:

- Earthworm Jim 1 & 2
- Super Metroid
- Final Fantasy 3 (a friend actual owes me this, hopefully it finally pans out)
- Harvest Moon
- Donkey Kong Country 2 & 3
- Super Return of the Jedi
- Mortal Kombat 1 & 3
- Super Street Fighter II
Damn, you sold more SNES games than that and got enough for a single new PS1 game? I'm assuming you meant you got a new PS1 to play FF8?

Moments like that are why I just never seem to sell my old stuff. Last time I did was a few SNES games I wish I still had (Seventh Saga, TMNT fighting game, Lethal Enforcers with the gun). But I kept most of my good stuff like FF2 and 3, Super Metroid, SMK.

-KRS-

^ I sold all my Mega Drive stuff so I could buy Majora's Mask + expansion pak when it came out. That was one Mega Drive II with two gamepads and around 16 CIB games. And I didn't even get enough to buy the game + expansion pak! My father gave me the rest. Well needless to say I regret that decision today, even though MM turned out to be one of my favorite games ever. I haven't sold a game since.

------
Looking at screenshots of that Nightmare Busters game it certainly looks very impressive.

nb03.gif

nb04.gif

nb05.gif

For some reason it reminds me of a cross between Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse and Ghouls and Ghosts graphically.

HaL64

Looks very hectic, but awesome. Graphics are stunning.

http://youtu.be/8NZNPaqQqzA

I thought this game came out a long time ago, I certainly remember seeing pictures of it years back. Didn't know they just now got carts printed.
Either way I wasn't interested because there was just something weird about the main characters that turned me off of the game. I'll probably end up picking it up eventually.
But $78 shipped... hrm.

-KRS-

Just finished playing some Super Puyo Puyo and boy do I suck at Puyo Puyo lol. I never really played that series a lot. I need to practice setting up chains. The gameplay demo makes it seem so easy...

Celine

I just got ahold of a boxed copy of X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse.

Not rare, but it was one of my favorite games growing up. 2-D brawler with Street Fighter inspired moves. I loved it.

IrishNinja

given the low bar comic games held for many many years (and arguably still hold) it was an absolute gem by me and still one i'll revisit, great game man!

Well that worked after going through about 10 qtips. However, it also changed the color of the plastic. :(
I think it will be just easier to build a time machine next time and kill the child who did this. Also I'll pick up a few copies of earthbound while I'm there.

I use lighter fluid on marker, then wipe of the residue with isopropyl.

meanspartan

You guys ever bother with goodwill online auctions? Sometimes the prices get too high, but you can occasionally find good deals on it especially when deals are ending.

Keep in mind though that shipping costs tend to be substantial- so I often narrow my searches of their auctions to the southern california area (I'm in San Diego) to keep shipping costs low, and when I get something from San Diego Goodwill I arrange to go pick it up myself to avoid them altogether.

I found my SNES in storage but could not find any of my games after much searching (my mom may have accidentally given them away to.......goodwill) and so now am buying back my favorites when I see them for the right price.

EDIT: Here is today's total listings for the nation when you search "Super Nintendo": http://www.shopgoodwill.com/search/...0&sellerID=all&srchdesc=&showthumbs=on&page=1

One of the current auctions has Secret of Mana and I am in the bidding for it. Please don't take it :-(

Though since I am not willing to go that high for it, I'll probably lose anyway so that's why I don't mind sharing.

Ravager61

Are there any actual good 3rd part SNES power supplies? I've tried 2 now. One makes a super annoying high pitched sound that I can hear when the SNES is off (like when a TV is on with no sound). The other runs few lines of static up and down the screen while playing. Not unplayable but I can see it enough to where it's annoying.

Any recs? I tried to find an official one but those seem to be hard to buy loose.

meanspartan

Actually, going along with my post a couple up about Goodwill auctions, what is the most I should be willing to bid on a bundle of games including Secret of Mana? (Also includes Super Bases Loaded, Donkey Kong Country, Mechwarrior, and Mortal Kombat)

I have my current cap at $40 but wonder if I should up to $60. I would probably play Secret of Mana since I haven't before and then sell it.

It's an unreleased SNES run and gun that Super Fighting Team is making and selling in the year of our lord Luigi 2013.

He put in a preorder when it was announced roughly two years ago. It's been shipping out to those first few people the past couple of weeks. I put in my order much later, so who knows when I'll see it.

All I've heard so far is "it's difficult" and "I haven't put time into it yet."

Same, I ordered mine last year I think. Although I did get an e-mail saying they were being shipped out but it will take a while, so I'm not sure when I'll get mine.

Actually, going along with my post a couple up about Goodwill auctions, what is the most I should be willing to bid on a bundle of games including Secret of Mana? (Also includes Super Bases Loaded, Donkey Kong Country, Mechwarrior, and Mortal Kombat)

I have my current cap at $40 but wonder if I should up to $60. I would probably play Secret of Mana since I haven't before and then sell it.

SoM goes for $35-50 on ebay, Donkey Kong $10-15. The rest is just about worthless and is the kind of stuff I try and find locally 'cause you'll pay more for shipping most of the time than the game is worth.

Velinos

A few more recent finds. I also got manuals for Brandish, 7th Saga, Illusion of Gaia, and Uniracers.

30munWkl.jpg

All I need now is the cart for Brandish and my SNES collection will be good.

baphomet

Just finished the first one of these up. Actually pretty impressed with the component output straight into an hdtv. Looks quite a bit better than the same SNES going rgb into an rgb to component converter into the same tv. It's not completely done as I need to swap the component video jacks for the correct colors. It was basically given to me so I wanted to try it out since I already have my mini running in rgb. Considering throwing this downstairs to play on my main tv.

baphomet

...oh shit, something tells me you're about to get a barrage of PM's man, haha

Works for me. i've honestly been slammed the past 3-4 days, which is welcome for sure. My plan is to pick up every snes i can at the flea market this sunday, just to have some stock. Honestly though, it looks pretty nice considering it's straight into an hdtv.

did i reply to your pm earlier? i know i typed it out earlier, but don't remember if i actually sent it, lol.

Goodwill auctions tend to go for more than what theyre worth. Ebay tends to be quite a bit cheaper. Especially for nintendo stuff. I saw a jaguar and games sell for over $500 on there. Sad thing was it was the goodwill about 15 minutes from here that no longer has a store front and only sells online. Otherwise i would probably have it.

Just finished the first one of these up. Actually pretty impressed with the component output straight into an hdtv. Looks quite a bit better than the same SNES going rgb into an rgb to component converter into the same tv. It's not completely done as I need to swap the component video jacks for the correct colors. It was basically given to me so I wanted to try it out since I already have my mini running in rgb. Considering throwing this downstairs to play on my main tv.

I did the same thing with my Super Famicom last year. Unfortunately my TV does't like 240p over component so I got a analog-to-digital box that forwards it as 240p HDMI and it looks really good. I don't have an RGB setup to compare it to but I'm really satisfied with the picture.

I also did a SPDIF output mod which was a lot more complicated but well worth the effort. Over analog audio I get a bit of a hiss but over SPDIF it sounds totally perfect.

Quick shot of Secret of Mana on an LCD panel:
.jpg

The back of mine is a lot less nice than yours. I've been meaning to tidy it up at some point but I never see the back anyway.

The inside business; most of this is for the SPDIF mod:
.jpg

Size comparison for the SPDIF output chip I added:
.jpg

baphomet

Your tv accepts 240p over hdmi but not component? Crazyness.

I actually didnt even know what spdif was. I had to look it up. Still not entirely sure what the hell it is.

Definitely impressed with the video quality on it.

I actually didnt even know what spdif was. I had to look it up. Still not entirely sure what the hell it is.

Digital audio. There's two types: Coaxial, as seen above, and the more common optical type.

The latter (optical) is what the PlayStation 2, Xbox, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and most DVD and Blu-ray players use to output 5.1 or greater surround sound (Dolby Digital and DTS) to a compatible audio system.
The former (coaxial) isn't as common in my experience. I think I've only seen it on computers myself, for the most part. They can both do the same things, though, I think.

Not only can it output digital surround sound, but it can also be used for uncompressed stereo sound. It does support uncompressed surround sound, however, like HDMI does.

HDMI nowadays is probably more commonly used for digital sound over the others, though, but a digital audio S/PDIF port is usually included in most things that can output or receive digital audio.

Anyway, that's a pretty cool mod, SheepyGuy! Not particularly attractive, though. Haha. Still, I wish I had component cable output for my SNES. I have component on some of my later consoles, and man...the difference is very noticeable, even over S-Video, and it's great. It's not quite as huge a difference over S-Video as S-Video was to composite, but it's definitely noticeable, and totally worth it. I'm only talking about experience from a CRT, though.

TnK

My a Link to the Past arrived, awwwwww yis. It is in very good condition, with good condition map and manual. All that is left now is to remove the old person's name with alcohol from the cart. Can't wait to start the game.

Oh, shit. PM incoming. Been wanting component out on my SNES for forever.

HaL64

What circuit are you using for this? Or did you design your own?

[edit] Oh I see you can just grab the lines off the encoder, thought this was an rgb->component circuit.

jbueno

Shit man, a Component enabled Snes would rock on my Wega SDTV that has component inputs. Wii VC games at 240p look nothing short of stunning on that.

baphomet

What circuit are you using for this? Or did you design your own?

[edit] Oh I see you can just grab the lines off the encoder, thought this was an rgb->component circuit.

I believe the earlier models can be grabbed directly from the chip. This requires a small circuit be built. I took the existing ones and modified it slightly.

I just got ahold of a boxed copy of X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse.

Not rare, but it was one of my favorite games growing up. 2-D brawler with Street Fighter inspired moves. I loved it.

A very under-rated game. I used to love it. Definitely the best X-men related game in the 16-bit generation.

Velinos

Excuse me for sounding like a complete noob, but what is the difference between RGB and component video? Are they interchangeable as in can I plug a RGB modded system into a tube TV with component inputs?

baphomet

Excuse me for sounding like a complete noob, but what is the difference between RGB and component video? Are they interchangeable as in can I plug a RGB modded system into a tube TV with component inputs?

Nope theyre not interchangeable.

This an an rgb scart cable

(Rgb can be carried over different cables, but this is what it is being referred to with consoles)

TnK

Wait, I can get someone to mod the SNES to have component? That is crazy. Plus, what is the difference between S-Video and Component, and is the difference worth it?

Granted I am playing on a CRT that can run component.

RGB is a cable type that essentially doesn't exist in the US and never did. It generally requires importing stuff and mods to be used, so it's only for the really obsessive "I must have the best video quality" type people. I'm not one, myself.

I think that with the right setup you can get RGB to work on component (through a converter or something), but yeah, it'll cost.

Wait, I can get someone to mod the SNES to have component? That is crazy. Plus, what is the difference between S-Video and Component, and is the difference worth it?

Granted I am playing on a CRT that can run component.

Better colors with little to no color bleeding, so everything looks cleaner, clearer, and more colorful.

It's not quite as huge a difference from S-Video as composite to S-Video, but it's definitely noticeable.

If the SNES had built in component video support, I would have been using that already...but it doesn't, and I don't feel like spending a bunch of money on a converter or mod, so I'm just sticking with S-Video.

Not at all. DKC2 is a good game but you can get it for $10-$15 shipped.

I thought so. I visited a local game shop that I always wanted to visit for the first time yesterday and they had a few retro games, including SNES. Saw it there and was on the verge of picking it up but, in the end, I felt it might've been a bit overpriced so I passed. Glad I went with that feeling, haha.

woodypop

Cross-posting in multiple retro threads...

Went to the NWCGE Swap Meet in Portland this weekend. Didn't find anything on my want list, but picked up a few unexpected items.

PS2 stuff!
Found a slim PS2 with carry case and memory card for $10. It's the first model with power brick, but for that price I ain't complaining. (The only other PS2s I have are old fatties.) Got a $3 copy of SFEX3 to try out the slim in the hotel room. I was missing the soundtrack disc in my SH3, so I was happy to get this one for $5.

SEGA Genesis stuff!
$10 for a 6-button stick. Now I've got a pair, for even SF2 matches! Added Alisia Dragoon and Dick Tracy to the collection. And found the elusive pink Konami Justifier, $5 for the blue/pink pair. Looks like someone took exception to the pink and tried to rub it all off. lol

More SEGA stuff!
Fatal Fury Special and Ninja Gaiden for GameGear, but it's gonna be hard to play them, as the system's packed away somewhere in the garage. I hear Sega Rally 2 isn't all that hot, but I figure it's worth $3 to add to the DC collection. I already have Virtua Cop 2, but the disc is a Not For Resale one, which irks me to no end. So I bought another regular one. =)

Turbografx-16 stuff!
Don't know much about either Sinistron or Valis II, but looking forward to another shmup and some anime cut scenes. Surprised to see a decent selection of TG-16/PC Engine stuff at the show, as it seems they make fewer appearances than Nintendo/SEGA stuff.

Manuals!
Waded through stacks of manuals and found a few to match my cart-only copies of Illusion of Gaia, World Heroes 2, Super Bomberman 2, Fatal Fury Special, and Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

Nintendo Power!
I really don't need more magazines cluttering up the house, but these two issues have features on Illusion of Gaia, FFIII/VI, Super Mario RPG, SFA2, and Super Punch-Out!!

All-in-all it was a fruitful event. Met some cool peeps, got a few good deals, and spent less than I expected to. Can't wait to do it again. =)

Wereroku

I like the Valis games but they are a little odd at first. Nice haul all I have gotten lately is rival turf and some dreamcast games.

Nintendo Power!
I really don't need more magazines cluttering up the house, but these two issues have features on Illusion of Gaia, FFIII/VI, Super Mario RPG, SFA2, and Super Punch-Out!!

Reminds of my best NP find. Found a whole stack of early 90's issues sitting unloved in a Goodwill store here in Mississauga.

Bought them all, and have them boxed up in my basement. The LoZ: Link's Awakening anniversary issue, the one with Super Castlevania IV, etc, etc...memories.

So, Velinos and whoever else has an INL Retro, what am I doing wrong?

I got one for Christmas that just finally arrived and I can't get anything to work. I only have 1 12MB board to fuck with, but I'm sure it's just something I'm doing wrong and not the board since I don't really have a fucking clue what I'm doing.

I tried the hacked version of Star Ocean since it's 12MB so I wouldn't have to mess with any padding or whatever. Wouldn't work.

Tried some other shit like Donkey Kong Country and Mario World since the readme says to try them first due to simplicity. I used HxD to just copy and paste all the code until it was 12MB. Wouldn't work.

Does it have to be a certain file type to write correctly? Is the way I'm padding out the file dumb? Again, I'm a complete newb with this stuff. All the ones I tried were headerless since that's what it said to use.

TnK

Anyone played through Live A Live? Just ordered a repro from Timewalk Games. I kind of know what to expect but it would be nice to hear someone's opinion on the game.

My friend played through this, and he really loved it. Recommends me to play it as well.

I need S-Video cables, the color bleeding is somewhat distracting.

Played about an hour of aLttP, and till now, I don't understand why people call this the best Zelda ever.

Top Bottom