• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Anth0ny

Well, I had $3 in eBay Bucks about to expire tomorrow, and no Snatcher auction I've been watching would end before that, so in the interest of picking up something cheap that I've been wanting for a while, I went ahead and got DKC2 - not all three, like I'd have planned, since that'd be $60 or so instead of the $12 I paid, so I focused on the one people say is the most worth checking out.

Only one I've ever really sunk any amount of time into would be the first, so this'll be interesting.

Yes it will. DKC2 is incredible, easily the best DKC game. Enjoy!

TnK

Who is the artist for this cover?
eurobox-front6kzt3.jpg

Looks like Ayami Kojima, but I am not so sure.

Decided to wait out on the SD2SNES until Stone Age Gamer gets it. Seems like they will be getting it a month later.

What does the ASCII controller have as an advantage over the regular SNES pads? Other than turbo of course. Not really looking to buy one, as I recently bought a brand new SNES pad that is still in it's plastic wrap; for almost $3 too, lol.

D-e-f-

Banned
What does the ASCII controller have as an advantage over the regular SNES pads? Other than turbo of course. Not really looking to buy one, as I recently bought a brand new SNES pad that is still in it's plastic wrap; for almost $3 too, lol.

More room for your fingers as it's bigger due to the area with the turbo stuff. That's the main part I like about it.

TnK

Oh, I thought that it had a better made D-Pad or something. Been looking at the RetroBit wireless super controller. Anyone know anything about it if it is good or bad?

EDIT: The wireless controller has input lag.

Teknoman

Who is the artist for this cover?
eurobox-front6kzt3.jpg

Looks like Ayami Kojima, but I am not so sure.

Decided to wait out on the SD2SNES until Stone Age Gamer gets it. Seems like they will be getting it a month later.

The eyes definitely look Kojima.

Well, I had $3 in eBay Bucks about to expire tomorrow, and no Snatcher auction I've been watching would end before that, so in the interest of picking up something cheap that I've been wanting for a while, I went ahead and got DKC2 - not all three, like I'd have planned, since that'd be $60 or so instead of the $12 I paid, so I focused on the one people say is the most worth checking out.

Only one I've ever really sunk any amount of time into would be the first, so this'll be interesting.

2 is the best one. Hope you like it!

Balb

Has anyone had any luck with de-yellowing their SNES? Mine isn't as bad as some that I've seen but I wouldn't mind making mine look normal again.

lol, just had the same experience of rushing to buy something because of $3 of ebay bucks. Too bad from now on you gotta get at least $5 for them to give you anything.

smbu2000

I actually got the idea from someone here on GAF, although I can't remember who, so I won't take credit for the idea. :)

And those other storage boxes you have look really great too. I like that they're so compact looking.
Oh, nice. That is a good idea though. I'll have to look into getting some myself if I can.

Yeah, I thought they were nice looking and the design reminds me of this SFC system carry/storage case that I picked up awhile back.

It holds a SFC system as well as some games/accessories.
(I still need to clean it up, heh. That extra sticker with the upside down bears is an extra sticker the previous owner put on it, I believe.)

HaL64

Has anyone had any luck with de-yellowing their SNES? Mine isn't as bad as some that I've seen but I wouldn't mind making mine look normal again.

Non-yellowed ones are not as rare as people make them out to be. I would just look for one on ebay. :)
That retrobright stuff also is supposed to work, but looks like alot of work.
Here is a nice article on why it yellows. I find it fascinating. Also they suggest putting UV protectant on it. Anyone actually do this?

I've done a SNES and NES with pretty great results. I just used the simplest version of retrobright with hydrogen peroxide and oxiclean. Left in sunlight for a bright sunny day. Worked great.

I just used normal store bought hydrogen peroxide also, don't listen to people online who say you need to use higher concentration stuff.

Peagles

I've done a SNES and NES with pretty great results. I just used the simplest version of retrobright with hydrogen peroxide and oxiclean. Left in sunlight for a bright sunny day. Worked great.

I just used normal store bought hydrogen peroxide also, don't listen to people online who say you need to use higher concentration stuff.

Does it work on purple buttons that have been yellowed on the SNES?

-KRS-

I was exactly like you in that I had only really played the first DKC game when I picked up 2 and 3. The first world in 2 gave me a bad impression to be honest, but stick with it because it gets a lot better. I still haven't given 3 much of a chance beyond world 1.

Peagles

No idea. Only did the shells.

Dang. I wanna do mine but the purple has yellowed on top too and I don't really wanna spend the effort if they will still be faded or get wrecked by the retrobright paste. Maybe I'll just leave it yellow.

In other news I think I'm gonna have a crack at that component mod. I only really use RGB these days but I figure it'll be handy to have a component SNES around.

cafemomo

I tinkered around with a supaboy earlier.

Tried playing my VI cart and it didn't work.

I was under the assumption that it would play SFC carts. Oh well, saved me some money.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I tinkered around with a supaboy earlier.

Tried playing my VI cart and it didn't work.

I was under the assumption that it would play SFC carts. Oh well, saved me some money.

That does not compute. SNES games and SFC games are literally identical aside from the cart shells.

Clean your VI cart, or perhaps it is a dud.

cafemomo

That does not compute. SNES games and SFC games are literally identical aside from the cart shells.

Clean your VI cart, or perhaps it is a dud.

It works perfectly fine on my SFC

The supaboy was my friends though and it wasn't out of the box (heavily used), so if it could play both SNES and SFC games it must of been on the supaboys end then

To Hero or anyone else with a component modded SNES:

Are you plugging directly into the component inputs of a modern TV, or are you using a Framemiester with it? If it's the former, is it a lag-free experience? I'd love to do this mod rather than spend $400 on an xrgb. There's a pro in my area who would do it at a great price if I can get the correct console.

I'm no heathen, so I use a CRT. I assume component output would have zero effect on input lag. Also, apparently a lot of HD TVs won't take the low res signal that the SNES puts out over component.

HaL64

To Hero or anyone else with a component modded SNES:

Are you plugging directly into the component inputs of a modern TV, or are you using a Framemiester with it? If it's the former, is it a lag-free experience? I'd love to do this mod rather than spend $400 on an xrgb. There's a pro in my area who would do it at a great price if I can get the correct console.

No it won't be a lag free experience. It was very noticeable for me. Do the mod, then hook it up to a Trinitron, and then join the rest of us in retro gaming nirvana.

Ah, of course, I shoulda figured you were going CRT. Guess I'm getting my retro threads mixed up (the RBG/XRGB one). I subscribe to too many of them...

S-video was surprisingly decent on my Panny plasma. Gotta figure component would be that much better. But there was some lag. Man, I just don't have room at home for a tube TV. Sigh. X-RBG is my only hope.

HaL64

Ah, of course, I shoulda figured you were going CRT. Guess I'm getting my retro threads mixed up (the RBG/XRGB one). I subscribe to too many of them...

S-video was surprisingly decent on my Panny plasma. Gotta figure component would be that much better. But there was some lag. Man, I just don't have room at home for a tube TV. Sigh. X-RBG is my only hope.

I didn't have room in my room either. Then I made some.
Consider doing something like this:
chavfstvfit.jpg

Mzo

Holy shit, LOL

No matter how you output the signal it's still like 240p, and your TV wastes time scaling it up. The XRGB does a better job than most TVs, but even at native res most HDTVs have input lag. CRTs for life.

Or until they all burn out.

Now I'm depressed.

TnK

Is that a projection CRT? Those things are not that good. Something about them feels off.

I asked in the upscalers and RGB thread and might as well ask here since maybe some of you may know. I have a philips CRT TV that was released at the same time when sony trinitron wega tvs were out. The thing is, my TV has no scanlines, it is really strange. If I do have scanlines, I need to run some digital options, one being 100hz mode, but that by itself makes the whole screen vibrate and looks odd. Maybe it is some idiotic 100hz implementation, I don't know. All the other options remove scanlines, and there is no way to turn this off. So, how are sony trinitron wega TVs performing? They have something similar to this? Also, how can I put a 8:7 ratio on my TV for my SNES games?

-KRS-

Is that a projection CRT? Those things are not that good. Something about them feels off.

I asked in the upscalers and RGB thread and might as well ask here since maybe some of you may know. I have a philips CRT TV that was released at the same time when sony trinitron wega tvs were out. The thing is, my TV has no scanlines, it is really strange. If I do have scanlines, I need to run some digital options, one being 100hz mode, but that by itself makes the whole screen vibrate and looks odd. Maybe it is some idiotic 100hz implementation, I don't know. All the other options remove scanlines, and there is no way to turn this off. So, how are sony trinitron wega TVs performing? They have something similar to this? Also, how can I put a 8:7 ratio on my TV for my SNES games?

I don't have a Wega, but my 100hz Trinitron doesn't have much of any scanlines either. But I think it has something to do with PAL TVs or something because most PAL CRTs I've seen have very minimal scanlines, and also almost no interlacing visible. Be glad that you can turn 100hz off on your TV though, because it's shitty for retro games. The only thing I don't like about my TV.

And I'm not sure what you mean about 8:7 ratio. The games should display with the correct aspect ratio on the TV anyway. At least I think so.

I didn't have room in my room either. Then I made some.
Consider doing something like this:
chavfstvfit.jpg
Holy shit, lol. It's not so much a space in my room thing, it's that's I don't even have a room to put it in. I actually have a good Sony CRT but just no place for a full retro setup.

TnK

I don't have a Wega, but my 100hz Trinitron doesn't have much of any scanlines either. But I think it has something to do with PAL TVs or something because most PAL CRTs I've seen have very minimal scanlines, and also almost no interlacing visible. Be glad that you can turn 100hz off on your TV though, because it's shitty for retro games. The only thing I don't like about my TV.

And I'm not sure what you mean about 8:7 ratio. The games should display with the correct aspect ratio on the TV anyway. At least I think so.
I see. Guess I should not worry about it too much then. Thanks for the response =D

I find it hilarious that every RetroGAF thread I'm following is only singling out the specific console in question as suffering inflation.

Damn near every console is, as best as I can tell. NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Sega CD, Saturn, probably even PS1. It's not limited to one console.

On the bright side, DKC2 is out for delivery today.

I find it hilarious that every RetroGAF thread I'm following is only singling out the specific console in question as suffering inflation.

Damn near every console is, as best as I can tell. NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Sega CD, Saturn, probably even PS1. It's not limited to one console.

While true, I singled SNES out here because well... this is the SNES thread.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Atari games aren't inflating. =P

ZealousD

I wish they were lol. Id offload my entire collection.

Yeah I bought an Atari a few months ago and picked up like 30 games. At least half of them were only a buck.

I haven't bought Burgertime because it costs like a whole $10 lol

Mzo

I wish they were lol. Id offload my entire collection.
The market came and went a few years ago when the people who grew up with Ataris began to fear death and looked to their past for comfort.

Now the wave is rolling past the 8- to 16-bit era. Hopefully it passes soon.

TnK

Yeah I bought an Atari a few months ago and picked up like 30 games. At least half of them were only a buck.

I haven't bought Burgertime because it costs like a whole $10 lol
This made me laugh more than it should.

The market came and went a few years ago when the people who grew up with Ataris began to fear death and looked to their past for comfort.

This too, and I love how it is written. It is not nostalgia, nor wanting to remember the good old days, it is death that made them want to experience the Atari again.

Welp, time to buy the games I really want before prices become crazy.

The main flaw with your logic here is that 8 and 16-bit stuff isn't only popular with the people who experienced it at the time, while with Atari stuff, that really was all it was. Nostalgia may have started the price increases on post-Atari stuff, but as it goes it's picked up plenty of people who didn't play the systems back then, younger people, etc. The difference with Atari is that the games are simpler, and most people just don't find them as fun to go back to. I got an Atari (7800) for the first time last year and I like it, but those aren't the kinds of deep experiences that will take up large amounts of playtime. It's fun stuff to spend a few minutes with here and there, though.

But anyway, if this was like the Atari bubble, I think it'd be peaking by now... but it's not, not at all. By this point, I don't really think that it's only nostalgia driving it, it's also that many of the games still hold up great.

ZealousD

The main flaw with your logic here is that 8 and 16-bit stuff isn't only popular with the people who experienced it at the time, while with Atari stuff, that really was all it was. Nostalgia may have started the price increases on post-Atari stuff, but as it goes it's picked up plenty of people who didn't play the systems back then, younger people, etc. The difference with Atari is that the games are simpler, and most people just don't find them as fun to go back to. I got an Atari (7800) for the first time last year and I like it, but those aren't the kinds of deep experiences that will take up large amounts of playtime. It's fun stuff to spend a few minutes with here and there, though.

But anyway, if this was like the Atari bubble, I think it'd be peaking by now... but it's not, not at all. By this point, I don't really think that it's only nostalgia driving it, it's also that many of the games still hold up great.

I think there's a line that's drawn in the game industry between pre-crash and post-crash. It's like most of the Atari audience dropped out of games entirely after the crash, and a whole new audience picked up the pieces afterwards. There really hasn't been a shakeup that big since.

Well, DKC2 was marked as "out for delivery" on USPS's website, but wasn't anywhere in sight when I checked my mail or in front of my door. Guess it was mistaken.

At least it isn't marked as "delivered", because then I'd need to have words with somebody.

Mzo

I can agree with this, to a point. It is my hope that the bubble is temporary and that it will burst. Even at the worst things will calm down eventually as the general public moves on, leaving only the truly rare or extremely desirable games to continue climbing in price. Sort of like the comics industry.

A lot of what is happening now is because of engineered eBay price inflation by resellers, most of which don't give two shits about actually playing a game.

Top Bottom