• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
gonna play me some lemmings today
lemmings_zps32a6c52a.jpg

Alfredo

Got these off eBay recently:
ZGXdyE1.png

Sanrio World Smash Ball and Hello! Pac-Man (Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures)

...after the poor showing at AGDQ this year, I'm semi-determined to learn to speedrun Pac-Man 2. I have no idea if the Japanese version is actually faster, since all cutscenes are skippable and I don't think there's any text in-game. Also, for some reason they voices for "Faster!" and "Higher!" in the Minecart/Hanglider sections are different. What a weird change.

thomasos

Has anyone else had issues with the SNES cases from videogameboxprotectors.com being too small/snug? I'm curious if I got a defective batch or if all of them require considerable pressure to snap the tabs shut.

Zing

Banned
Magical Quest 2 is good, but not quite great like the first game. It's far too easy, and the suits are not as interesting.

Mzo

Finally saw a Nosferatu in the wild! Well, as wild as Geo's store gets, I guess.

Can't wait to try it out, I love PoP/OoTW/Flashback style games.

I think this is like that, but with melee.

Gameboy415

Yeah, I thought they were nice looking and the design reminds me of this SFC system carry/storage case that I picked up awhile back.

It holds a SFC system as well as some games/accessories.
(I still need to clean it up, heh. That extra sticker with the upside down bears is an extra sticker the previous owner put on it, I believe.)

Did you happen to pick this up in Fukuoka, Japan?
I know that's a totally random question, but I'd swear I saw that exact same case with the same bear stickers on it at a used game shop in Fukuoka back in 2010 shortly before I moved back to the US.

I have one of these cases as well, but mine doesn't have the Mario decal (it's just solid gray) and is missing the system/controller tray. I think I only paid like 200yen for it though!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Hi all, I received 2 games I've been looking for quite a while... it's been an expensive month! Anyway, love the gameplay.

12363230495_c7283d96fb_c.jpg

There's a North American version too, which I have:

caQofqk.jpg

But there is no NA version of the 3rd Super Famicom game, which i also have:

bm4BGOy.jpg

^ I guess there was an English GBA version.

The first game in the series was a beloved childhood favorite. Rented it quite a few times back in the day. I don't think the sequels were as "magical", but maybe i got to them too late. At least the 3rd has some Donald Duck action!

GloriousNL

Neo Member
Yes, including fees it was close to $400. On a related note, I really love the Magical Adventure series on SNES, awesome graphics and gameplay. Especially part 1.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
So I took a look at prices for Seiken Densetsu 3 on eBay expecting it to be mega-expensive. The four I'm looking at right now are currently just going for less than £2, with a couple of days left before the auction ends. Should I be suspicious? Is it a game that doesn't work with converters/adaptors particularly well?

I dont know if anyone can help me, but I just recent hooked up my SNES after 15 years and I have been have troubles with it. While playing my TV will will go black and and lose the SNES' signal. It will work again after I reset the SNES. It also happened when I turn on the SNES, I have to reset it in order for the game to show up on the TV. Anyone have any experience with this problem,?

entremet

There's a North American version too, which I have:

caQofqk.jpg

But there is no NA version of the 3rd Super Famicom game, which i also have:

bm4BGOy.jpg

^ I guess there was an English GBA version.

The first game in the series was a beloved childhood favorite. Rented it quite a few times back in the day. I don't think the sequels were as "magical", but maybe i got to them too late. At least the 3rd has some Donald Duck action!
How where the sequels? I loved the first game.

baphomet

So I took a look at prices for Seiken Densetsu 3 on eBay expecting it to be mega-expensive. The four I'm looking at right now are currently just going for less than £2, with a couple of days left before the auction ends. Should I be suspicious? Is it a game that doesn't work with converters/adaptors particularly well?

Well unless you can understand Japanese it's unplayable without a guide.

Teknoman

I say buy it complete, then get it translated. Awesome looking complete cart + english script = win.

BocoDragon

There's nothing expensive about it. It's an extremely common game. I'm pretty sure I bought it for <$5 when I was in Japan.

That can happen if you reset while a game is starting up. I lost some old files because of that.

Hmm that explains the saves erasing. So I think I pinpointed the problem to a loose connection or something, because when Im playing a game and I move the cartridge slightly the TV goes blank. I have to reinsert the game in order for it to work. Anyone know how to fix this issue?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Well unless you can understand Japanese it's unplayable without a guide.

Well yeah I know that, but I was just expecting it to be more sought-after considering how highly acclaimed it is.

There's nothing expensive about it. It's an extremely common game. I'm pretty sure I bought it for <$5 when I was in Japan.

Ah, fair enough! Annoyingly enough I was in Japan in September and remember seeing this game and Terranigma in Super Potato, and didn't buy either. I've been kicking myself for it ever since, even if SD3 is a common game as you say.

How where the sequels? I loved the first game.
They're not really as good as the first, and that's not nostalgia talking. Level designs aren't really interesting, the difficulty seems balanced for younger players, bosses and minibosses take forever to kill and often have extremely bland patterns, and the powers are mostly unamazing or retreads of the powers from 1. Still, they have 2-player co-op, so they're decent for a quick playthrough with a friend.

I also did a small write up on the first game after beating it about a year ago:
The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse: I received this game as a gift for my 6th birthday. It was a fun Capcom platformer that still holds up even today. The levels are nice and varied, the soundtrack is pretty good, and you have a nice array of powers to get you through the levels. The game is incredibly short and very easy, though. There are so many awesome mechanics throughout the game, and it's a crime how underutilized they are: the awesome flying fruit in the first level, the giant rolling fruit you can ride down the brambles, pushing blocks with the fire hose (this does get reused in the final level, but not to the degree that I'd have liked), the ice sled, the fucking Bionic Commando grappling hook (this is also a bit underpowered, I feel), the flaming platforms, the magic carpets, and more. The bosses are a little uninspired and all pretty easy. The item shop is fucking overpriced and way too hidden. There's no way I'm going to farm for coins just so I use less weapon energy or get another heart tank. I feel like the sequels aren't quite as good as this one, but I remember the third one being pretty close. Also, changing your outfit totally takes way too long and messes with the flow of the game way too much.

What CRT are you using these days?

I mainly use this 36" beast:

I don't know what the model number is and it's way too fucking heavy for me to try and move it away from the wall so I can peak at the back and see.

I have this in my bedroom:

I use it sometimes. It has a slightly better picture, but it has a smaller screen so I prefer the other one. I don't know which models are supposed to be better than others. The smaller one is labled WEGA with the other only saying Trinitron. The WEGA looks better, but they both look great especially compared to the no name shit I was using before them so I am pleased.

Teknoman

Wega ftw.

ibcDnxdy9g8K8Y.jpg

So much creepier than I remember it. The valley music before Happy Happy village, the village itself, and the connecting cave have music that just buries itself in your brain.

goldenpp72

I just bought a 'very good' condition Earthbound (complete) for 489 dollars.. How bad did I get ripped off? Just got tired of trying to score it on the low end, lol.

Peagles

I just bought a 'very good' condition Earthbound (complete) for 489 dollars.. How bad did I get ripped off? Just got tired of trying to score it on the low end, lol.

Well, I've been getting the emails from eBay everyday for the past couple of years, and that sounds okay to me, particularly if it's in great condition.

goldenpp72

Well, I've been getting the emails from eBay everyday for the past couple of years, and that sounds okay to me, particularly if it's in great condition.

Yeah I remember a brief point where some sold for like 700 dollars, and I figured I should jump on just in case, but I still felt a huge sting doing so. I hope to never spend that much on a game again :p

Peagles

Yeah I remember a brief point where some sold for like 700 dollars, and I figured I should jump on just in case, but I still felt a huge sting doing so. I hope to never spend that much on a game again :p

Mint ones still go for a grand. I think I saw one go for $400 recently but it didn't have the scratch and sniff cards. How was the condition/completeness of your copy? Post pics of yours when you get it!

goldenpp72

The box has a tiny bit of shelf wear here and there as does the guide but the scratch/sniff cards were fully in tact. Will be awhile before it arrives since im out of town but I will definitely look it over and post about it later, heh.

TnK

Wega ftw.

ibcDnxdy9g8K8Y.jpg

So much creepier than I remember it. The valley music before Happy Happy village, the village itself, and the connecting cave have music that just buries itself in your brain.
This proves my suspicion that the last batch of CRT TVs stopped having scanlines for older systems. My philips HD ready CRT produces an image like this one. Zero scanlines. Thanks a ton for providing this pic, because 4 days ago, I wanted to buy a Wega thinking it had scanlines. Good thing I did not, lol.

EDIT: You playing on a SNES or another console?

BocoDragon

This proves my suspicion that the last batch of CRT TVs stopped having scanlines for older systems. My philips HD ready CRT produces an image like this one. Zero scanlines. Thanks a ton for providing this pic, because 4 days ago, I wanted to buy a Wega thinking it had scanlines. Good thing I did not, lol.

Maybe they don't show up in the pic very well, but that TV most likely does have scanlines.... I can see them there.

Perhaps those HD CRTs do not, though (that's most definitely it).

Mzo

CRTs don't have fixed resolutions, which is nice.

In the US, television programs were broadcast in 480i (basically the NTSC standard res). That's 480 lines displayed in an interlaced manner, or every other line is drawn every other frame. They get drawn so fast that to our eyes it looks like a solid image.

Old video games, up to around the Dreamcast/PS2/GC, put out a 240p signal. That's half the resolution, which means the TV can draw every line every frame. In between those lines is a blank line. That's a scanline.

Every NTSC CRT TV has scanlines when displaying old video game consoles.

Any modern display will upscale the image and double lines of pixels to fill the resolution, leading to a really ugly and blocky look.

edit: looks like HD CRTs tend to upscale images to 1080i and introduce some display lag. Interesting.

Teknoman

EDIT: You playing on a SNES or another console?

SNES via SCART to Component converter. Its not an HD CRT, and took the picture with a phone camera, so maybe thats why they dont show up well?

TnK

Maybe they don't show up in the pic very well, but that TV most likely does have scanlines.... I can see them there.

Perhaps those HD CRTs do not, though (that's most definitely it).

This is my TV. Really similar to the other pic posted. The earthbound pic posted lacks proper scanlines.

@MZo: The games that I play don't look blocky, and actually look similar to other screenshots I saw of the game. It simply lacks the scanlines because, like you said, it is not running in native res. So much for keeping a CRT to display games in native res. It looks a billion times better than an emulator on a monitor at least, plus almost no input lag.

Also, my CRT has no HDMI input, and only component.

TnK

The upper half has scanlines, but thenlower half does not, and my TV produces an image like the bottom half most of the time. Another example:

First pic I posted is in a mode called 100hz, good, but produces an odd flicker. The one I am posting now is on normal mode.

cantona222

Great thread. I beat The Legend of Zelda: ALTTP last month for the first time. What a great game. I am looking to add Super Metroid & Super Castlevania 4 to my collection. But $35 a pop is too much :(

Teknoman

Great thread. I beat The Legend of Zelda: ALTTP last month for the first time. What a great game. I am looking to add Super Metroid & Super Castlevania 4 to my collection. But $35 a pop is too much :(

Super Famicom mod your system, snag the JP version of Super Metroid (complete in english) and SCIV (its Castlevania). Crisis averted.

Oh and Power Rangers the Movie (hard mode) is so awesome. Its like a Ninja Warriors lite except with plane switching. The soundtrack is even better in person, and the bosses arent really pushovers, as expected for a licensed game from a 16 bit dev that knows whats up.

Top Bottom