• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

cantona222

Super Famicom mod your system, snag the JP version of Super Metroid (complete in english) and SCIV (its Castlevania). Crisis averted.

Oh and Power Rangers the Movie (hard mode) is so awesome. Its like a Ninja Warriors lite except with plane switching. The soundtrack is even better in person, and the bosses arent really pushovers, as expected for a licensed game from a 16 bit dev that knows whats up.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Rich!

oh my god

Just remembered that my best mate (who lives miles away now) still has his SNES collection at his parents house down the road. I asked him via facebook on the off chance he might be willing to sell it. He said yeah, for £50

uh. fuck. From memory, his collection:

SNES Console
two pads
Super Mario World
Super Mario All Stars
Prince of Persia
Donkey Kong Country 1-3
Super Tennis
Twinbee
Kirby's Fun Pak/Super Star
Tetris Attack
FIFA 95
Pilotwings
Super Metroid
Super Game Boy
Zelda: Link to the Past
Earthworm Jim 2

So yeah. Hopefully he doesn't change his mind! It's all PAL, but installing a 50/60hz switch is easy.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
got a copy of killer instinct still sealed for $85 shipped. i think i got it for a good price.
I bought it sealed in 2004 for $4. It was the average eBay price. I guess things have changed.

Awww yeah:

XlKuBoO.jpg

Been on the search for one for a long time. Finally found one locally for a not awful price. The place had the gun at $15 and the receiver nowhere near it for another $10. I convinced them that was stupid to sell them separately since one does nothing without the other. The guy agreed and gave it all to me for $15. Can't finally play Battleclash and XZone.

EDIT: Battle Clash done. Looking into that little eye scope gave me a headache about two minutes in. I toughed it out, though. The world is safe again.

HaL64

Awww yeah:

Been on the search for one for a long time. Finally found one locally for a not awful price. The place had the gun at $15 and the receiver nowhere near it for another $10. I convinced them that was stupid to sell them separately since one does nothing without the other. The guy agreed and gave it all to me for $15. Can't finally play Battleclash and XZone.

EDIT: Battle Clash done. Looking into that little eye scope gave me a headache about two minutes in. I toughed it out, though. The world is safe again.

You haggled?!
Wait, where was this...

You haggled?!
Wait, where was this...

Haha. I did. But, I was kind of indirect so it seemed like I wasn't. I never gave a number, I just acted kind of confused by them being separate. I hate hagling, but I am willing to feign ignorance.

Got it from Exile. They seemed to have more gaming stuff than usual, but I've not been there much so I could be off there. Regardless, even with 15% off, their prices weren't very good. $50 Secret of Evermore...

TnK

If pal consoles require 50/60hz switches, does that mean if I buy PAL carts, I can run them at 60 Hz on my NTSC SNES?

-KRS-

If pal consoles require 50/60hz switches, does that mean if I buy PAL carts, I can run them at 60 Hz on my NTSC SNES?

For the most part yes. But some PAL games have been optimized for PAL, like Terranigma for example. So some timing things that depend on 50hz might be a little screwy if you play the game @60hz. And most of Nintendo's games seem to have been made a little faster for the PAL version so they run at the correct speed @50hz and will therefore run faster than regular on a 60hz machine.

Edit: To be clear, if you have a PAL SNES with a 60hz switch on, PAL games on an NTSC console will run just like they do on that machine in 60hz mode. I think anyway. I don't have either a 60hz PAL SNES or an NTSC SNES.

TnK

For the most part yes. But some PAL games have been optimized for PAL, like Terranigma for example. So some timing things that depend on 50hz might be a little screwy if you play the game @60hz. And most of Nintendo's games seem to have been made a little faster for the PAL version so they run at the correct speed @50hz and will therefore run faster than regular on a 60hz machine.

Edit: To be clear, if you have a PAL SNES with a 60hz switch on, PAL games on an NTSC console will run just like they do on that machine in 60hz mode. I think anyway. I don't have either a 60hz PAL SNES or an NTSC SNES.

Guess I won't buy PAL SNES games then. I was asking because some PAL games out there are cheaper compared to NTSC ones.

Happened to mention to some friends on a night out on Saturday that I collect retro games, and between three of them it looks like I'm going to be able to pick up potentially two SNES' plus games, a GBA SP Zelda special edition plus games, N64 and Gamecube plus games and a boxed Megadrive and Mega CD.

Whilst the SNES stuff is my potential main target, I've never ever ever had the chance of such a haul, especially from just from a throwaway conversation!

Gunsmithx

Happened to mention to some friends on a night out on Saturday that I collect retro games, and between three of them it looks like I'm going to be able to pick up potentially two SNES' plus games, a GBA SP Zelda special edition plus games, N64 and Gamecube plus games and a boxed Megadrive and Mega CD.

Whilst the SNES stuff is my potential main target, I've never ever ever had the chance of such a haul, especially from just from a throwaway conversation!

Nice! Makes me wonder if I have any friends who might be sitting on gold mines boxed in a closet.

Man, fuck the price of super Nintendo games.

Now I use an ever drive, and only collect boxed games that I absolutely love, as well as super fx/special chip games.

My boxed games:

Pilotwings
Doom
Donkey Kong country 2
Zelda link to the past
Chrono trigger
Legend of Gaia
Street fighter 2 turbo
Simcity
Legend of the mystical ninja

Also for super Famicom final fantasy 6, super metroid, and secret of mana.

I'd still like to get secret of mana us, final fantasy 3 us, yoshis island, and all the earlier konami games with that same art style of contra 3, turtles in Time, and sunset riders.

I was looking to see how much super Mario all stars and world was.. Why are people paying $40-50 for this game? Its not rare.. It was a pack in for years..

My best find is my username. I found hagane cart only with no damage at a used shop in Indiana for $7 about two years ago.

Sold it for $200 a year later. The game is good but I had no nostalgia for it.

Mzo

Some reseller is trying to figure out who you are so they can call your friends right now.

Blues1990

I've struck gold when I found a copy of Pocky and Rocky at this local mom & pop video game store for 10 dollars, and I can't wait to play it when I get some free time.

Anyone have any suggestions for reprinting labels?

My wario woods label is non existent

A related question. Is there a good way of telling if a game you get has a replacement label on it? Got a couple of Genesis games recently that the labels look a bit odd on. Like darkish spots and even some parts of the label not sticking to the case.

IrishNinja

havne't kept up with this scene but i imagine it hasn't gotten any better...thankfully, i completed most of my wants last year (still too late, honestly) and now just keep an eye out for Rock & Roll Racing, Run Saber (strider clone!), Jaki Crush and gems like Rap Jam.

pretty sure Batman & Robin is the same game as Genesis/Sega-CD yeah?

Makes me wonder if I have any friends

nope
=p for real though, YOU STILL RUINED THE 3RD DISC OF FF VII 17 YEARS AGOOOOO *fist & manly tears to the sky*

Teknoman

havne't kept up with this scene but i imagine it hasn't gotten any better...thankfully, i completed most of my wants last year (still too late, honestly) and now just keep an eye out for Rock & Roll Racing, Run Saber (strider clone!), Jaki Crush and gems like Rap Jam.

pretty sure Batman & Robin is the same game as Genesis/Sega-CD yeah?

nope
=p for real though, YOU STILL RUINED THE 3RD DISC OF FF VII 17 YEARS AGOOOOO *fist & manly tears to the sky*

SNES B&R tooootaly different game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9qaDgx2Xu8

Dont get why its held in higher regard than the Genesis. Sega CD is totally different too isnt it? Just batmobile car chases or something?

Yeah Batman and Robin are all totally different games on Genesis, SNES, Sega CD, Game Gear, and Game Boy, lol. IIRC each version had a different developer.

TnK

Just came in to say that I do not regret buying my SNES one bit. Loving every second when I play on the system <3

Genesis Adventures of Batman & Robin is a run-and-gun with a rocking Jesper Kyd soundtrack. Lots of impressive parallax and scaling trickery, but it is hard as a rock.

Sega CD Adventures of Batman & Robin is a car chase/shmup game with redbook audio (dunno who composed it) and cutscenes animated by the people who worked on the cartoon, complete with the cartoon's cast of VAs (it's sometimes called the "Lost Episode" of Batman: The Animated Series, although its plot is nowhere near the level of that show's).

SNES Adventures of Batman & Robin was developed by Konami. Only console version I know of to actually have the Danny Elfman-inspired theme from the TV show present. Haven't played this one (yet), but it's quite a bit more fisticuff-based than the Genesis game.

Haven't touched the Game Boy/Gear games, no idea there.

bodine1231

Any places in the US have Super Everdrives in stock? Just bought a SNES off of Craigslist for $40 (super clean) and just want to play a bunch of games on it.

IrishNinja

Are those SNES Metroid hack games any good? Like Phazon, Eris, Super Zero Mission?

always wondered this too, never heard much about them, or the LTTP ones...i think Zelda: Outlands is the only one i recall someone saying was worth playing. still waiting on AM2R myself.

Tales of Phantasia is starting to lose me. Started out pretty awesome, but fuck do the dungeons get long and labyrinthine. Too many random battles and monsters that cause status ailments. You can only hold 15 of each item and if you run out of ailment healing shit in the middle of a dungeon, you can get real real fucked.

It gets really annoying in bigger battles that are constantly being paused because of all the magic use going on. It's also annoying as fuck that if you tell an ally to cast something and then they get hit (or you get knocked back into them even) they will get interrupted. I get the interruption, but making me go back and tell them to do it again instead of having them auto retry is irritating.

Are those SNES Metroid hack games any good? Like Phazon, Eris, Super Zero Mission?

I played a decent amount of Zero Mission before getting side tracked with Tales. It was enjoyable, but nothing that special. I didn't finish it, though. Maybe it gets better.

always wondered this too, never heard much about them, or the LTTP ones...i think Zelda: Outlands is the only one i recall someone saying was worth playing. still waiting on AM2R myself.

I only played like 10 minutes of it to test out my SD2SNES, but Parallel Worlds (Remodel) looks really cool. It is high up on my list of shit to play. The sprites in it look awesome.

Here's a video of it for those who haven't seen it.

Top Bottom