• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Disc Replay Champaign. Those stickers have scotch tape behind them, and they come right off without damaging.
But yes, putting stickers on them alone shows how much they knew about what they were worth when they priced them. :)

Holy shit. Assume you bought the lot, right? Helps that you're in a college town. I found tons of good stuff during my days in Lawrence, Kansas at KU. Strangely enough there is not ONE game store at Northwestern, which is 10 minutes from my house. Guess that's why it's considered the Ivy League of the big ten.

Had an awesome find today:

Controllers look brand new. Their baggie of instructions is still taped closed, looks like it's never been opened. The SNES itself looks great except the controller ports have some yellowing. May see about doing something about that. Was $50 for the system, $5 for the controller. I thought that seemed like a good enough deal to me.

nice CIB system haul!

HaL64

Holy shit. Assume you bought the lot, right? Helps that you're in a college town. I found tons of good stuff during my days in Lawrence, Kansas at KU. Strangely enough there is not ONE game store at Northwestern, which is 10 minutes from my house. Guess that's why it's considered the Ivy League of the big ten.

I wish I did. It makes me cry, but not tears of joy.
I did get a later one, where there was a Zelda LTTP CIB for $25. But there aren't usually deals like that there. And they have since increased their prices (or just got smarter about pricing things).

Zing

Banned
Minor crisis averted. I discovered my "sell on eBay" box still had the Prehistorik Man cart inside. I guess the buyer never paid back when I was selling a bunch of games.

Now I just need the manual. Anyone have a Prehistorik Man or Dinocity manual? (I found that game also,! recommended by Super Play magazine, so it must be good)

Not gonna lie, I'd have bought that entire lot of CIB games and then budgeted for it after the fact.

I mean, shit, FFIII, SMRPG and CT CIB for roughly what their cart-only variants go for on eBay? Are you kidding?

Not gonna lie, I'd have bought that entire lot of CIB games and then budgeted for it after the fact.

I mean, shit, FFIII, SMRPG and CT CIB for roughly what their cart-only variants go for on eBay? Are you kidding?

Yeah, those prices aren't especially good, but it would be effectively free if I flipped my doubles. Actually, I'd probably be in the green with current prices, lmao.

-KRS-

The person behind Chrontendo has also done some Game Boy and Sega stuff concurrently with Chrontendo. It wouldn't be a stretch.

He does Chronsega (Master System + Mega Drive) and Chronturbo (PC Engine) regularly, and he also included a quicky Chrongameboy-like thing in Chrontendo when he got to the date the GB launched in Japan. But he said there will not be a Chrongameboy, and I think I remember him saying that he won't do the Super Nintendo either because it would be a much too big undertaking. :(

I hope he reconsiders but I wouldn't blame him if he doesn't. I'm secretly hoping that when he gets to the Super Famicom launch date in Chrontendo he'll start covering that as well, much like he did when he got to the Mega Drive launch in Chronsega.

Gunsmithx

As some of my SNES collecting starts to turn to the more expensive stuff(so mad I lost my demon's crest :/) I've really been thinking of getting a flash cart and after looking around it seems the sd2snes seems to be the best one, does anyone have one? just kinda seeing if it's worth the money or if an everdrive snes is enough.

Holy shit.

I'm kinda glad I ended up dropping $65 for a copy when I did.

Got mine for $50 like a year ago. One of my favorite pickups.

As some of my SNES collecting starts to turn to the more expensive stuff(so mad I lost my demon's crest :/) I've really been thinking of getting a flash cart and after looking around it seems the sd2snes seems to be the best one, does anyone have one? just kinda seeing if it's worth the money or if an everdrive snes is enough.

I have one. It's awesome. I don't really know what else to say about it. It has better compatibility than the everdrive, but I'm sure the ED would play 95% of what you'd want.

Gunsmithx

What happened to Demon's Crest?

Got crazy expensive, loved all the gargoyle games but sadly lost them in various moves and never thought it get so pricey to get back

Got mine for $50 like a year ago. One of my favorite pickups.

I have one. It's awesome. I don't really know what else to say about it. It has better compatibility than the everdrive, but I'm sure the ED would play 95% of what you'd want.

True but the other 5% would probably bug me, thanks for vote of approval though.

I have a simple, but potentially expensive mod in mind. Will the internals of a Super Famicom or American SNES fit in the shell of a PAL SNES? I realize they're all fundamentally the same hardware, but maybe certain things are moved around for various regions' shielding regulations, power utilization, etc.

The desired outcome is to have an NTSC console with the Super Famicom's good looks, but the Super Nintendo logo.

IrishNinja

True but the other 5% would probably bug me, thanks for vote of approval though.

you are crazy sometimes

why not first look up what that 5% is? if its a bunch of betas or stuff you can live without, it'd be worth it!
if the difference between MD everdrives was $100 to play Virtual Hamster 32X then i'm gonna have to not play that one on original hardware to stop from going too far down into the abyss

Rich!

I have a simple, but potentially expensive mod in mind. Will the internals of a Super Famicom or American SNES fit in the shell of a PAL SNES? I realize they're all fundamentally the same hardware, but maybe certain things are moved around for various regions' shielding regulations, power utilization, etc.

The desired outcome is to have an NTSC console with the Super Famicom's good looks, but the Super Nintendo logo.

PAL and JP consoles are interchangable. I did the swap myself some time back with my old two consoles. dunno about the US snes though.

you know what the cheapest option is though? Just buy a Super Famicom and then buy a replacement front panel (the bit that says SUPER NINTENDO) from a PAL console on ebay. Those panels just snap off and are easily changeable.

-KRS-

Another advantage with the SD2SNES over the Everdrive is that it doesn't need you to destroy a game PCB to get a DSP chip, to play games that use the DSP chip. You just need to get the firmware from it and put it on the SD card.

Or maybe the Everdrive has changed that nowadays? Looking at the PCB for the Everdrive it seems that it has a spot to solder the DSP chip on to.

Rich!

Another advantage with the SD2SNES over the Everdrive is that it doesn't need you to destroy a game PCB to get a DSP chip, to play games that use the DSP chip. You just need to get the firmware from it and put it on the SD card.

Or maybe the Everdrive has changed that nowadays? Looking at the PCB for the Everdrive it seems that it has a spot to solder the DSP chip on to.

You can buy super everdrive carts with the DSP already installed. I didn't think it was worth it though, and just got the standard one. I can always add a DSP in the future if I wanted to.

and it's not expensive, all you need is a copy of Ballz 3D which has both the chips you need. and no one gives a shit about destroying that game.

-KRS-

Oh, didn't know you could buy them with a pre-installed DSP. That at least takes away the trouble of having to install it yourself. But still, I'm not too fond of the idea of destroying games for something like this no matter how shitty they happen to be. :p

I ran into this thing the other day. It's too blingy for my tastes, but it's also the cleanest cart slot mod I've seen to accommodate the bigger North American SNES carts.

custom_metallic_silver_snes_with_cartridge_slo_by_zoki64-d7drfsb.jpg

http://www.it8bit.com/post/82198861469/custom-snes-in-metallic-silver-created

Boxed Super Mario RPG is being sold at PAX East for $199

I couldn't believe my eyes

It has probably been more then a decade since I've seen a good price at any convention. Think roving squads of resellers has ruined that forever in bigger things like that. If you price it low it will be bought and put up on ebay within an hour. With bigger events there will be more people willing to just pay out the ass for something so it's better to take a chance for more profit I would assume.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It has probably been more then a decade since I've seen a good price at any convention. Think roving squads of resellers has ruined that forever in bigger things like that. If you price it low it will be bought and put up on ebay within an hour. With bigger events there will be more people willing to just pay out the ass for something so it's better to take a chance for more profit I would assume.
Yeah. And just more people going to a convention with the willingness to spend and the nostalgic buzz of the event to egg them on.

Let's not assume that's the current selling price.

TnK

Demon's Crest isn't half the game Gargoyle's Quest II is, but it sure is twice the price!

GQII is the game on the GB no? My friend highly recommends that game. I should go and play some of Firebrand's games someday.

Rich, those screens look so much like an emulator, that I don't think I will like if my TV did the same. If you like this style, more power to you then.

GQII is the game on the GB no? My friend highly recommends that game. I should go and play some of Firebrand's games someday.
Gargoyle's Quest is on Game Boy. Gargoyle's Quest II is on NES; Japan got a Gargoyle's Quest II port for Game Boy that's supposedly easier but has additional content.

-KRS-

The GB game is the first Gargoyles Quest. GQII is on the NES.

And I have to agree that I think I wouldn't prefer an image like in those shots either, but I think that has more to do with the upscaler than the RGB modded SNES mini. I think the scanlines are a bit too noticeable among other things. It always looks a bit off to me when I see photos of upscaled retro games. It's almost like it's too clean or something, I dunno. Still though, when you think about the fact that it's running on an HDTV it looks really great. I'd definitely get a framemeister if I didn't have my CRTs because it is amazing.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Gameboy is the original Gargoyle's Quest.
Gargoyle's Quest II is on the NES.

Edit: I am so beaten. That'll teach me to leave a tab open for an hour.

brainpann

Well, i put a ntsc u snes inside a super famicom shell. It fits perfectly except you need to trim down the AV/AC/RF plastic piece a tiny bit. I think i had to cut a small piece from inside the shell as well.

shiiiit

I'm still amazed at the clarity this RGB modded SNES Mini puts out. It's so fucking clean.

That SMW image looks like an emulator screenshot. it's not!

Those shots look great. Once you go SNES jr/1-chip, its hard to play on any other model.

Guess it fits in with all super Nintendo stuff these days being overpriced as fuck

Was at Midwest gaming classic this weekend and I didn't even look at super Nintendo games. Some guy wanted $200 for a CIB final fantasy 3. Castlevania 4 , contra 3, chrono trigger, secret of mana, super metroid, all were $150+ CIB.

I didn't see much of that stuff selling though.. The same overpriced CIB stuff was still there at the end of the show. Who is buying this stuff at these prices?

Super Bomberman 2 is pretty fun, although I Game Over'd to the first boss. Not much to say there.

Cybernator is hard. Made it further than my brother did - he gets stonewalled by Level 2, but I made it all the way to Level 5 - but it's still pretty difficult, what with the rotary aiming and all that jazz. Yes, you can hold it - and believe me did I frequently hold it - but there's a whole slew of crap getting thrown around at any given point, yeesh.

Jungle Book's pretty fun, but I wasn't expecting it to pull the "hey, you beat the first boss on Easy! Good for you! Now go play on Normal you chump" trick. I mean, it's the same devs as Aladdin (well, the Genesis version), Earthworm Jim, maybe The Lion King... and as far as I know, none of those games pulled that stunt. Said first boss, the snake Kaa, was a bitch, too. Homing projectiles can be quite tricky to dodge, can't they?

Sheesh they could at least RGB mod it!
Come to think of it, isn't it the case that the SNES Jr. can't output S-Video, either?

If so, it's hilarious that they're bundling in an S-Video cable you can't even use.

Teknoman

Now if it was fully tricked out like some Analogue or Omega system, then maybe I could sorta see (but you expect to pay when it comes to the 100 Mega Shock).

Any good and recommended shops in Akihabara to get some Super Famicom titles in full package for fair prices? Friends will be there and I want them to bring some games for me, but I heard super potato is a bit overpriced. Maybe some of you guys know some great little stores which are pretty unknown.

Any good and recommended shops in Akihabara to get some Super Famicom titles in full package for fair prices? Friends will be there and I want them to bring some games for me, but I heard super potato is a bit overpriced. Maybe some of you guys know some great little stores which are pretty unknown.

The best deals will be at recycle shops outside of Akiba. Check out Book-Off and Hard-Off if you see them around.

In Akiba, I like Retro Game Friends and Mandarake for their selections at decent prices. I also make it a point to stop by Trader 1.

jonno394

Anyone in UK interested in boxed copies of Illusion of Time and Zelda: A link to The Past complete with manuals and maps?

These have been in my personal possession for around 20 years so unfortunately have not been kept in pristine condition.

Zelda box is in worn condition but it does it's job and the map has a very small tear along the fold under links foot. Illusion of Time unfortunately doesnt come with the inner white card tray.

13824152293_cc6b316e98_b.jpg

13824141123_ec6972006d_b.jpg

looking to offload them, if this isn't the right place for this I will delete this post :)

HaL64

Anyone ever use these guys on ebay?
They claimed to do combine shipping, but are trying to charge me $86 EMS shipping on a 2200gram order (9 items). If I shipped each item individually it would only be $7 off.
I calculated it on JapanPost's website and it was only $44 with EMS.
I sent them an email. But I feel like they won't reply. Are they scamming people with the shipping costs?

Top Bottom