• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

It's not like Final Fight arcade is unfair. The SNES version balances the way fewer enemies by giving them more health than the arcade original.

comparisonou2.png

Went a little crazy at a local retro game store, bought up tons of SNES games for my brother to kickstart his collection. These include:

• Pocky & Rocky ($80, cart-only, had some marker on it, but screw it, it's a rare enough find in one of these places)
  • Mario Paint ($5, cart-only; $5 more for the mouse to go with it)
  • Cybernator ($10, cart-only)
  • Jurassic Park ($15, CIB, although the cartridge has this sticky brown stuff on the bottom that rubbing alcohol and my fingernails couldn't easily get off - ew)
  • Toy Story ($30, CIB - I loved the Genesis version as a kid, so having this one for comparison's sake seemed like a good idea)
  • Jungle Book ($15, CIB - I actually already have a cart-only copy myself, but eh, it's for my brother)
  • Super Bummerman 2 ($50, CIB - I'm sure this was overpaying, but screw it, I have to see the Triple Fudge-Packer amies for myself)
...and Tiny Toons Adventures - Buster's Hidden Treasure for the Genesis ($10, box and cart), for myself, because eh. He's also borrowing my copies of Super Mario World + All-Stars and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, so a fairly well-rounded collection, I think, missing only some RPGs. (Should probably look into a <$50 copy of Final Fantasy III, or relatively-cheap copy of Chrono Trigger, I dunno.)

That said, my brother's SNES (which I picked up for $7 at a thrift store a few weekends ago) has an issue. When I got to his place, it was only displaying in black-and-white. The issue seemed obvious: he plugged a composite cable into the green port of the TV's component input, which obviously would produce a black-and-white image, right? Well, I moved it to the composite input (the TV doesn't have any S-Video inputs, and believe me I wanted to use S-Video so bad), and... still black-and-white!

What gets me is that, before giving it to him, I tried it in place of my SNES in my setup to verify it worked. This meant using the same cables I use - that is, RGB SCART - and I get color just fine through that. So, composite is broken, but RGB SCART works fine. I suppose that's not too surprising since it's different signal outputs (raw red, green and blue values vs. chrominance/luminance values), but egh.

My concern now is that I haven't the foggiest why composite's in grayscale. Tried different cables, different TVs... haven't tried S-Video on the TV that has that input, but I'm not sure it'd help. A cursory Google search implies something inside the SNES is going bad, and I don't have enough faith in my soldering skills to fix it myself. Egh. Maybe I'll just swap my SNES (which gave color over composite in the past, I know for a fact) with his (which still gives color over RGB, which works for me) and hope that whatever's causing issues inside his SNES doesn't cause further issues with components other than composite video?

There are a ton of arcade games like that I prefer playing on my SNES as opposed to my mame arcade machine due to the better soundtrack the SNES versions usually give. Final Fight also comes to mind, even with all the censoring and and missing Guy.
Eh, no, sorry. I don't really like the soundtrack of SNES Final Fight. Something about it sounds really cheesy and low-quality. FF2's is okay - FF3's is amazing purely because "For Metro City" is one hell of a rocking song, one of the best on the console IMO.

That said, if you like it, all the more power to you... but I'll stick with my copy of Final Fight CD.

RexRogers

Neo Member
I just picked up Final Fight 3 from ebay. It hasn't arrived here yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to some walk-to-the-right beat 'em up action. I decided I'd skip the other two since they were changed from the arcade version or the Japanese version. From reading reviews the third is the best of the snes trilogy anyway.

HaL64

I just picked up Final Fight 3 from ebay. It hasn't arrived here yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to some walk-to-the-right beat 'em up action. I decided I'd skip the other two since they were changed from the arcade version or the Japanese version. From reading reviews the third is the best of the snes trilogy anyway.

It is definitely the better of the series. However, I did not like some of the character artwork. Final Fight 1 looks better.

Final Fight 3:
ff2-10.png

Final%20Fight%202%20(U).png

Final Fight 1:
final_fight_dude_looks_like_a_lady--article_image.jpg

finalfight.jpg

Final_Fight_GUY_SNES_ScreenShot3.jpg

Yeah, Final Fight CD's my go to choice for when I want to play through the first FF. The GBA port is surprisingly decent too, given the hardware. Street Fighter Alpha Cody and Guy being unlockable is a pretty amusing bonus, too.

Yeah, Final Fight CD's my go to choice for when I want to play through the first FF. The GBA port is surprisingly decent too, given the hardware. Street Fighter Alpha Cody and Guy being unlockable is a pretty amusing bonus, too.

If you have a PS3 or 360 there's a way better version of the original game. Unless of course, you really love the arrange tunes on the Mega CD version.

If you have a PS3 or 360 there's a way better version of the original game. Unless of course, you really love the arrange tunes on the Mega CD version.

Yeah, but I only have a PS3, and the PSN port has that retarded DRM that prevents people from playing offline. Never bought it because of that.

akileese

Was excited to see Surugaya was accepting American customers again but then sad when I saw a lot of their prices were full blown retail (and in some cases over a 200 percent mark up) of their previous prices for SNES games. Haven't checked the rest of the site but my GF said it was much of the same for the music too so that's kind of upsetting. Also the stock is now about a third of what it used to be.

HaL64

Agree, but the ps3 port was by far the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COXdC4UQUz0

Oh crap didn't know that was a thing! I just assumed it was the arcade direct port. Didn't know it had new music

I was just playing Final Fight CD on the sega-cd and was thinking "this would be awesome if this was the arcade version quality graphics with the music from the sega-cd." And while the Double Impact music is good. Doesn't quite have the cheesy guitar riffs I was looking for.

Also here's a comparison of the many versions. Most I did not know existed. Atari ST?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXr7ZipycEU

Ended up swapping my SNES for my brother's.

Seriously, nobody here's seen SNESes only outputting grayscale over composite before? Hope its RGB still works okay...

Teknoman

Ended up swapping my SNES for my brother's.

Seriously, nobody here's seen SNESes only outputting grayscale over composite before? Hope its RGB still works okay...

I'd say check Nintendoage and racketboy as well. Honestly i've only seen it happen due to a cable being loose.

EDIT: Yeah i know gameplay wise the double impact version is best, but ideally that + Sega CD music would've been perfect.

Peagles

For the record, RGB works great out of it, so it's clearly something that's only affecting composite (and probably S-Video).

I've only seen it when there's a region mismatch, but I guess there could be something wrong specifically with the composite part of the SNES PPU.

I've only seen it when there's a region mismatch, but I guess there could be something wrong specifically with the composite part of the SNES PPU.
It'd be really weird if it were a region mismatch. It's clearly a US SNES shell, so unless somebody slapped a PAL SNES motherboard in there (would that even fit?)...

Peagles

It'd be really weird if it were a region mismatch. It's clearly a US SNES shell, so unless somebody slapped a PAL SNES motherboard in there (would that even fit?)...

It'd fit, but yeh it'd super weird. Plus your games wouldn't work unless they were PAL too. Although I've only come across this trying to use NTSC stuff on PAL TVs.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I had a greyscale issue with a Master System I had once. If I jingled the power cord sometimes it would go back to to color though. I had to have somebody repair it for me. Don't know exactly what the problem was.

Velinos

Looking over my collection, one of the few RPGs that I do not have is Ogre Battle. I remember reading about it in Nintendo Power, but I never got to play it because my local rental store never had a copy. What are people's thoughts on this game?

IrishNinja

yes
everytime you're going to buy something like chrono trigger or yoshi's island or whatever and someone says they need to check ebay real quick because the game you want is rare you need to physically spit on them

Teknoman

so.... i've been thinking to start collecting SNES and super famicon games, any recomendations?

Expensive action games? Go for the SFC version. Make an account on Nintendoage.com and check the various threads/get familiar with their buy/sell/trade areas.

Hit up flea markets, pawn shops (non-franchise) and thrift stores.

And yes, the worst thing is when you're in someones shop, find a game that isnt priced, and then you see them swing around and check ebay.

Just price your games already man! Makes it that much worse if you have to "check" the prices while i'm standing there...

Final Fights 2 and 3 are SNES-exclusive games. You're confusing Final Fight 2 with Final Fight Guy, I believe; it's Final Fight and Final Fight Guy that are the disappointing games that should probably be skipped. 2 and 3 are exclusive and better. 2 is alright, but yeah, 3 is the best one. The game even has fighting game-style moves you can do, which adds some depth.

Agreed, Final Fight CD is pretty good.

Good point. FF2 is the worst.

FF3 compared:

SNES--Final%20Fight_Feb10%2012_10_35.png

ff3-4.png
No way, SNES FF1/FF Guy are the worst.

What are people's thoughts on having games with worn labels? I'm not talking about labels that look like a raccoon clawed at the cartridge for 2 hours, but just heavy wear-and-tear in the crease, etc. Do you guys steer clear of them? Do you consider them at all important? Do you replace the labels or is that sacrilege that defaces the game's "originality"?

I kind of feel like I can go for some torn-label carts for cheaper and just replace the label, but how "fake" is that, really?

What are people's thoughts on having games with worn labels? I'm not talking about labels that look like a raccoon clawed at the cartridge for 2 hours, but just heavy wear-and-tear in the crease, etc. Do you guys steer clear of them? Do you consider them at all important? Do you replace the labels or is that sacrilege that defaces the game's "originality"?

I kind of feel like I can go for some torn-label carts for cheaper and just replace the label, but how "fake" is that, really?

Depends on your personal preference. Some folks invest in collectible games with the notion that there is a monetary value on the items. It's like investing your money in jewelry. Do you want a particular piece because you'll wear it a lot, or because there's a monetary value attached to it.

Personally, I invest in games just in case I have to one day sell them for money, like stock.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I think as long as you have the right paper and do it right on the printer, a replacement sticker can be indistinguishable from the real deal. If anything the only giveaway is that it looks TOO good.

I think a worn label can reduce a game's value by like 10 to 15 percent or so, or maybe more if its super common, like less than $10. I think its not really worth it to replace unless its a rare game.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Depends on your personal preference. Some folks invest in collectible games with the notion that there is a monetary value on the items. It's like investing your money in jewelry. Do you want a particular piece because you'll wear it a lot, or because there's a monetary value attached to it.

Personally, I invest in games just in case I have to one day sell them for money, like stock.

Well, the way I think about it is this: I can easily buy the games on VC or emulate them, especially since SNES emulation is near perfect. But the reason why I collect a few games is precisely because I'd love to have vintage games that are collectively worth a fairly pretty penny.

I'm not too worried about it, though. I mean, I still don't have any complete-in-boxes. I'm mostly motivated by a personal satisfaction of having the physical carts and playing them on a CRT with the amazing refresh rate and zero lag. In that sense I guess the label doesn't matter all that much.

Received my snes rgb mini from Hal64 and hooked it up to my pvm tonight.

Damn, that nice? I have a SNES mini that I'm doing nothing with, and to be honest, I'm not impressed with my OG SNES's RGB output - especially compared to my other RGB systems. Maybe it's time to take the next step.

Damn, that nice? I have a SNES mini that I'm doing nothing with, and to be honest, I'm not impressed with my OG SNES's RGB output - especially compared to my other RGB systems. Maybe it's time to take the next step.

Is your original snes a 1-chip? Mine wasn't, which was why the picture was so blurry on my PVM. The only fix was getting a modded mini. No going back. In fact, I now am going to sell my other systems. I have a snes standard and a Korean super comboy in great shape that I'll probably never use again after today.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Is your original snes a 1-chip? Mine wasn't, which was why the picture was so blurry on my PVM. The only fix was getting a modded mini. No going back. In fact, I now am going to sell my other systems. I have a snes standard and a Korean super comboy in great shape that I'll probably never use again after today.
Super Comboy beats all through its sheer Hyundai-distributed power.

Top Bottom