• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Rich!

Hey guys, anyone know where I can get a 1-chip RGB modded SNES besides Ebay?

Just to clear up some confusion here:

1. ALL versions of the standard SNES/Super Famicom output RGB natively through SCART. They do not need to be modded.

2. There was a later revision of the standard SNES where the motherboard design was revised. This is known as the 1-CHIP for obvious reasons, and outputs a much cleaner image than earlier models. The only surefire way of knowing if a SNES is a 1-CHIP is to open it up, but http://retrorgb.com/1chipsnes.html has advice on other ways of finding out. A 1-CHIP SNES would cost as much as a standard preowned SNES, as most people do not know what they have.

3. The SNES Mini uses a futher revised 1-CHIP board, but does not output RGB - the functionality is there, but it is not linked to the Multi-Out video socket. Modding involves linking it back up. This results in by far the cleanest image output from any SNES. I got mine from a GAF member HaL64, but ebay and other sites are a good bet too - or do it yourself (harder for me than it seems, as I live in the UK where it was never officially launched)

hope that helps

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Hey guys, anyone know where I can get a 1-chip RGB modded SNES besides Ebay?

Do you mean modded to bypass the internal RGB amp? A 1CHIP will support RGB natively without modification. Only the mini has to be modded for RGB.

phileep

Ended up swapping my SNES for my brother's.

Seriously, nobody here's seen SNESes only outputting grayscale over composite before? Hope its RGB still works okay...

This happened to my SNES semi recently. If you pop the hood off it, there is this tiny dial on the board. You don't even need to remove the metal shield, there should be a hole in the metal with access to the knob. Make sure your SNES is on and hooked up and adjust the knob to get your color back.

edit: grabbed this photo of an open SNES off Google. It is the little hole to the left of the eject button.

IMG_1551.jpg

What are some auction sites that are maybe less used than ebay? I've been using Shopgoodwill and haven't gotten anything yet, but it seems like there's less traffic on things so bidding maybe isn't as unfair?

I'm not sure. I figure I might get lucky on something. Not the earthbounds or chrono triggers though.

HaL64

Well the goodlucks didn't work for de-yellowing my SNES, but my 1CHIP SFC turned up this morning which is waaaaay earlier than I was expecting, so thanks!

Edit: It's an even better day now!

How'd you find a 1-chip SFC? Just waited for one on ebay?

Peagles

How'd you find a 1-chip SFC? Just waited for one on ebay?

I asked on a local forum and someone messaged me saying they lived in Japan and could pick one up for me. I told them how to spot one and they sent it to me, apparently they're really cheap there. I paid them $40 NZD and that included the cost of the system, shipping, and a bit of money for their time.

HaL64

I asked on a local forum and someone messaged me saying they lived in Japan and could pick one up for me. I told them how to spot one and they sent it to me, apparently they're really cheap there. I paid them $40 NZD and that included the cost of the system, shipping, and a bit of money for their time.

If they can get more, let me know. :)
Also looking for a snes-jr....

SuperFamicom_jr.jpg

SGB games play at a different speed than on Gameboy? I never noticed it before. Are they faster or slower? It's extremely minor either way. Interesting though.

2% faster. If you have 2 copies of a game and play them side by side, one on an SGB and one on a regular Game Boy, you'll be able to tell the speed differences. Music pitch is another indicator.

-KRS-

While it is noticeable, I went so long without noticing it at all that it probably doesn't really matter much for most people. And I even made some music with LSDJ on my SGB1. A PAL one none the less! I could only hear that pitch-shifting effects sounded different on SGB1 compared to an actual GB. It wasn't until you guys started pointing it out that I really noticed it.

It's not like with the PAL NES and SNES which runs 16.7% slower than they should. That's instantly noticeable. This is only a 2% difference.

And I say this as a proud SGB2 owner who will never go back to the SGB1. :)

If you don't have a SGB at all though, the SGB2 is so cheap that you might as well get that nowadays. It is the superior version after all. Also it's just cool to own something for the SNES that came out in 1998. My SGB2 didn't seem to like my PAL SNES though, so PAL users beware. Heavy graphical glitches and artifacts when I played on my PAL SNES.

GloriousNL

Neo Member
Thanks for the clarification all! I have some US games as well, so perhaps I need to look for a SNES mini pre-modded.

EDIT: Does a SNES mini take PAL controllers? My US SNES old model does, but I'm not sure about the mini.

Rich!

Thanks for the clarification all! I have some US games as well, so perhaps I need to look for a SNES mini pre-modded.

EDIT: Does a SNES mini take PAL controllers? My US SNES old model does, but I'm not sure about the mini.

PAL controllers work fine with all models.

Import controllers will not work on the majority of PAL SNES consoles.

phileep

2% faster. If you have 2 copies of a game and play them side by side, one on an SGB and one on a regular Game Boy, you'll be able to tell the speed differences. Music pitch is another indicator.

I actually owned two copies of Donkey Kong Land. I almost wish I held onto the second one just to try that out.

But thats kind of crazy that it's 2% faster. In a way, that almost benefits some of the slower games like Castlevania, but now I'm thinking I might have to pick up a SGB2 at some point.

Rich!

I actually owned two copies of Donkey Kong Land. I almost wish I held onto the second one just to try that out.

But thats kind of crazy that it's 2% faster. In a way, that almost benefits some of the slower games like Castlevania, but now I'm thinking I might have to pick up a SGB2 at some point.

for sure

+ cheaper
+ correct speed
+ entirely new selection of borders, plus all the old ones too
+ it's not only transparent blue, but THE LABEL IS SHINY
+ flashy LED lights
+ link port

no brainer really. just gotta remove those tabs on a USA console or use a pass through

Picked up a SNES Action Replay for somewhere between $15 and $20 today (I did a trade in with a cdi game I found at the thrift store). I can play Super Famicom games now, but I did notice that pushing the power switch up (On the SNES) is a little tough when the cart is in. Is this gonna cause long-term damage?

Also, what are some good japanese game buys? Anything with dual language or requires no japanese language knowledge?

Rich!

Picked up a SNES Action Replay for somewhere between $15 and $20 today (I did a trade in with a cdi game I found at the thrift store). I can play Super Famicom games now, but I did notice that pushing the power switch up (On the SNES) is a little tough when the cart is in. Is this gonna cause long-term damage?

Also, what are some good japanese game buys? Anything with dual language or requires no japanese language knowledge?

the reason that's happening is because the locking-slot on the front side of the AR (cheaply made by datel, unfortunately) is not aligned properly with the SNES's mechanism. It shouldn't cause any damage, but you can always adjust the case of the AR to make sure.

As for JP games, I recommend buying Nintendo published games that are usually pricey. I picked up Yoshi's Island, Mario Kart, Pilotwings and Kirby for a fraction of the US/UK prices. Super Metroid is a good one too, and that's even fully in english.

the reason that's happening is because the locking-slot on the front side of the AR (cheaply made by datel, unfortunately) is not aligned properly with the SNES's mechanism. It shouldn't cause any damage, but you can always adjust the case of the AR to make sure.

As for JP games, I recommend buying Nintendo published games that are usually pricey. I picked up Yoshi's Island, Mario Kart, Pilotwings and Kirby for a fraction of the US/UK prices. Super Metroid is a good one too, and that's even fully in english.

Thanks man. It just takes a bit of force to push up on the switch, but it's worth the price I paid for it (considering all the prices I see on Ebay for one... yeesh.)

I hadn't thought about getting any of those games, but that's definitely a good idea. Getting Yoshi's island a bit cheaper and Kirby too would be nice. Super metroid would be great too since that one has gone so far up in price. I remember in 2009 it was only $10 :(

IrishNinja

i got my SFC model SGB as a freebie with a lot of dreamcast games...gonna make peace with that 2%

care to explain lol

yeah, nobody in real life needs to check ebay prices, much less in front of you - they're usually looking at the highest buy-it-now and pricing from there. worse yet, some will pass this off like they're hooking you up by saving on shipping etc but they're d-bags and deserve to pay the high ebay/paypal fees & expose themselves to chargebacks if they're so inclined anyway

TL;DR make sure to spit right in their eye

Teknoman

The SD great battle series IV and V are pretty cool action games.

Zing

Banned
I'm feeling that urge again. The urge to find more obscure, but worthwhile games. Hmm…

I'm already regretting selling off my Prehistorik Man.

-KRS-

I'm feeling that urge again. The urge to find more obscure, but worthwhile games. Hmm…

Yeah I wish there was something like Chrontendo but for the SNES, because I've learned about so many good obscure Famicom games through that show but for the Super Famicom I have pretty much no clue.

It would be an even more monumental task to cover every single SNES/SFC game though so it's understandable that no one has taken on that job. Considering Chrontendo started in 2007 and he's "only" covered the games up to '89 so far... a Super Chrontendo would take forever.

I've not seen much on this controller and I've been getting into replaying some old Nintendo games so went and imported one of these controllers from Japan,

You can see Pictures of everything here: http://imgur.com/a/0jokv

and an unboxing video here:

Its really well made and the look and colour of it is spot on. apparently the people who made it also helped make the Super Game Boy, a company called HORI.

It only came out in Japan but you can get them on ebay, look for SGB Commander.

Would anyone one be interested in a video of me playing the Super Game Boy with it? its got some extra buttons for stuff such as mute and slow down.

Yeah I wish there was something like Chrontendo but for the SNES, because I've learned about so many good obscure Famicom games through that show but for the Super Famicom I have pretty much no clue.

It would be an even more monumental task to cover every single SNES/SFC game though so it's understandable that no one has taken on that job. Considering Chrontendo started in 2007 and he's "only" covered the games up to '89 so far... a Super Chrontendo would take forever.

The person behind Chrontendo has also done some Game Boy and Sega stuff concurrently with Chrontendo. It wouldn't be a stretch.

Had an awesome find today:

Controllers look brand new. Their baggie of instructions is still taped closed, looks like it's never been opened. The SNES itself looks great except the controller ports have some yellowing. May see about doing something about that. Was $50 for the system, $5 for the controller. I thought that seemed like a good enough deal to me.

Linkhero1

Controllers look brand new. Their baggie of instructions is still tapes closed, looks like it's never been opened. The SNES itself looks great except the controller ports have some yellowing. May see about doing something about that. Was $50 for the system, $5 for the controller. I thought that seemed like a good enough deal to me.

Fantastic pickup. Where'd you find it?

Controllers look brand new. Their baggie of instructions is still tapes closed, looks like it's never been opened. The SNES itself looks great except the controller ports have some yellowing. May see about doing something about that. Was $50 for the system, $5 for the controller. I thought that seemed like a good enough deal to me.

You are worse then Hitler.
I'm mad jelly.

Me too. I haven't seen a pickup this good in the Champaign area in a long time. :)

Yeah not too shabby, lol. Disc Replay here in Chicago is regularly picked through by the time I get there, making it very tough to find anything good. Sometimes you get lucky. I got a boxed super mario land last year there. Gotta keep hunting.

HaL64

Where was that found? I hope those aren't stickers...

Disc Replay Champaign. Those stickers have scotch tape behind them, and they come right off without damaging.
But yes, putting stickers on them alone shows how much they knew about what they were worth when they priced them. :)

Top Bottom