• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Yeah, I'd be happy to sell it to one of you guys,it's literally sitting in a tupperware container and hasn't been played in probably two years. (And I totally forgot about the lack of battery save, I just meant I haven't opened it up).
Sent you a PM about this last night, for the record.

Gameboy415

It took nearly 20 years but I finally got a complete copy of my favorite game:

q4tptBJl.jpg

I paid quite a bit for it, but this copy is in phenomenal condition and came complete with the manual, map, and poster. :)

I've already completed the game with every ending on both PS1 & DS but I'm still psyched to be able go through the original version for the first time. :D

^

One of my favorite games ever. That's fucking beautiful. I actually haven't played it on the SNES either, despite having beaten it multiple times. That and Final Fantasy 2 are probably my two favorite SNES games, and I haven't ever beaten either of them on an actual SNES. Fucked up.

SKINNER!

Banned
Aww sweet condition Gameboy415! I've been looking for a complete copy of Chrono Trigger for quite some time now and had no luck on my recent trip to the US.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Anyone know a good place to buy 1st party controllers? I snagged two different controllers from two different eBay sellers but both have problems. One of the d-pad directions tends to stick as if the plastic membrane beneath it is torn, and the buttons on the other have to be pressed really hard before they register. In the meantime, I'm probably going to open these up and see if there's anything obviously broken or if cleaning the contacts will help at all.

Rich!

Anyone know a good place to buy 1st party controllers? I snagged two different controllers from two different eBay sellers but both have problems. One of the d-pad directions tends to stick as if the plastic membrane beneath it is torn, and the buttons on the other have to be pressed really hard before they register. In the meantime, I'm probably going to open these up and see if there's anything obviously broken or if cleaning the contacts will help at all.

well, this is my current controller:

L/R buttons are from my original controller from 1995, PCB is from some controller I had years ago, the back is from a controller I purchased on ebay after the one I got with a perfect front panel had a fucked up back panel. The rubber button switches inside are brand new.

so basically, it's like four controllers pieced into one mint condition unit. thats your best bet.

and yes, ebay.

If you can't track down a 1st party one, the asciiware asciipad is quite good too

brainpann

I have a lot of US snes controllers-pm me if interested. I need to let go of a couple.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
After being struck by a very powerful desire to replay Secret of Mana I decided to dig out my SNES. I found my game cart, two controllers, composite video cables and the power supply. Plugged everything in, switched it on and... nothing. I think my SNES might be dead. Any tips?

Peagles

After being struck by a very powerful desire to replay Secret of Mana I decided to dig out my SNES. I found my game cart, two controllers, composite video cables and the power supply. Plugged everything in, switched it on and... nothing. I think my SNES might be dead. Any tips?

No power light? Could be a blown fuse.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Somebody is trying to sell a cart only copy of Final Fight 3 for $230 on eBay. There is no bid or OBO option. Just the ridiculous BIN.

What could possibly possess somebody to put up a joke listing like that? Is that person expecting a multi-level misclick or something?

HaL64

Somebody is trying to sell a cart only copy of Final Fight 3 for $230 on eBay. There is no bid or OBO option. Just the ridiculous BIN.

What could possibly possess somebody to put up a joke listing like that? Is that person expecting a multi-level misclick or something?

Craziness.
Whenever I looked for boxed SNES stuff, I find the same thing. I watch those crazy high listings just to see what happens. One box I've been watching for like 3 months. The guy finally dropped it a dollar. I think they might be basing their prices off the crazy shit on Amazon. Or just assuming some fool will come along and buy it.

Craziness.
Whenever I looked for boxed SNES stuff, I find the same thing. I watch those crazy high listings just to see what happens. One box I've been watching for like 3 months. The guy finally dropped it a dollar. I think they might be basing their prices off the crazy shit on Amazon. Or just assuming some fool will come along and buy it.

They're checking the "watched user" stats and you're falsely keeping their hopes high, lmao

That kind of fishing for high BIN prices is exactly why SNES prices are where they are.

All it takes is a few of those inflated BIN with some shill buyer and price charting value goes up, and the price goes up with other listings, vendors, and stores..

Glad I'm collecting nes now, I think the price spike for that already happened.

HaL64

That kind of fishing for high BIN prices is exactly why SNES prices are where they are.

All it takes is a few of those inflated BIN with some shill buyer and price charting value goes up, and the price goes up with other listings, vendors, and stores..

Glad I'm collecting nes now, I think the price spike for that already happened.

Maybe we should create some anti-shill bids to counter act the price gouging. Some listings where we pretend to sell stuff to each other at half the price. And then just cancel the transaction.
Yeah I'm pretty sure that'd getting you banned from ebay.

IrishNinja

^prolly, but it'd be fun. for real, someone should do a YT vid on how this inflation fucks up the scene for everyone, like comics in the early 90s and what that did for creators & fans alike.

Maybe we should create some anti-shill bids to counter act the price gouging. Some listings where we pretend to sell stuff to each other at half the price. And then just cancel the transaction.
Yeah I'm pretty sure that'd getting you banned from ebay.

Well all you really lose out on is PayPal and eBay fees, because you would "pay" the seller and the seller could gift you the money back.

Another problem with trying to get good ebay prices is that the same sellers that are setting the prices high are also bidding up anything lower then what they are selling for to a point. If they win it, they get another item to list, if they lose who cares, they observable price is still staying high. Try and list something for the price you think it should be to set some prices and it will not matter since one of them will be the ones that gets there first.

Also, to ninja, do you really think many of the sellers care about the scene? As for buyers it would be hard to convince them that the prices are coming down again any time soon when even years ago prices were lower but still being drove up. All you (I) have is regret when you thought something like Burning Rangers wasn't worth the $75 it was being sold for, but now it's going for double that and you still don't have a copy. What, as a buyer who has watched the price of games only rise, would you think is more likely for next year,
it going to $200 or lowering?

Well all you really lose out on is PayPal and eBay fees, because you would "pay" the seller and the seller could gift you the money back.

Think that is why he said to cancel the transaction, since it would still show up on the price history as a completed listing, but no cash back and forth. Honestly don't know if that removes the ebay selling fee though.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You guys have any suggestions for some of the best import-friendly SFC games? Stuff that wasn't available for the SNES.

I've heard the Gundam Wing fighting game is really good.

HaL64

Another problem with trying to get good ebay prices is that the same sellers that are setting the prices high are also bidding up anything lower then what they are selling for to a point. If they win it, they get another item to list, if they lose who cares, they observable price is still staying high. Try and list something for the price you think it should be to set some prices and it will not matter since one of them will be the ones that gets there first.

Also, to ninja, do you really think many of the sellers care about the scene? As for buyers it would be hard to convince them that the prices are coming down again any time soon when even years ago prices were lower but still being drove up. All you (I) have is regret when you thought something like Burning Rangers wasn't worth the $75 it was being sold for, but now it's going for double that and you still don't have a copy. What, as a buyer who has watched the price of games only rise, would you think is more likely for next year,
it going to $200 or lowering?

Think that is why he said to cancel the transaction, since it would still show up on the price history as a completed listing, but no cash back and forth. Honestly don't know if that removes the ebay selling fee though.

Yeah it cancels the ebay fees as well. I've had people do this before. We get all our money back.
Not that I'm actually going to do this. Just trying to give the more unscrupulous of collectors some ideas on how to combat the price gouging. I do wonder how many anti-shill auctions it would take to lower the prices of the less commonly sold overpriced games. I can imagine it would take quite some time to drop the price of say Earthbound or Mega Man X3. I'm not exactly sure how Pricecharting calculates their average.

Teknoman

I wanted to play something i've never beaten/played RPG wise after I beat Earthbound...but after seeing that...i've had an itch for Chrono Trigger.

Especially after getting the cart alone for cheap near the start of this thread just for Square sake.

You guys have any suggestions for some of the best import-friendly SFC games? Stuff that wasn't available for the SNES.

I've heard the Gundam Wing fighting game is really good.

SD The great battle IV and V
King of Demons (Majoou or something like that)
Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie
Pop'n Twinbee
Rockman & Forte

Zing

Banned
I played through Chrono Trigger for the first time a few years ago. I've been having the urge to play it again. The question is, do I start a new game or do new game+? I've never done the ng+ thing in any game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I played through Chrono Trigger for the first time a few years ago. I've been having the urge to play it again. The question is, do I start a new game or do new game+? I've never done the ng+ thing in any game.

I've never liked New Game+ in any game, ever. If you're going to play through CT again, do it properly and just start a new game. New Game + starts you off uber-powered at the beginning primarily so you can tackle the other endings. Which is amusing, but not really how you should play the game if you're just coming back to it after a few years.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

If you have a SNES Mouse, then Mario and Wario is one of the single best import options. It's a puzzle platformer similar to Mario vs DK or to a lesser extent Lemmings. It's got beautiful bright graphics. And the import price is cheap.

Beyond that mostly my imports have been action platformers like DoReMi fantasy and Go Go Ackman and SFC copies of games I played pirated fan translated versions of in the 90s (FF5, SD3, RS3, etc)

HaL64

Posting this on the RGB thread too...
Had an idea to do my component modded SNES's with a TRRS style jack.
Looks pretty good. And not as gaudy as the SNES with the gold RCA jacks sticking out the back. Almost looks factory.
Also modified the circuit a bit and now it looks nearly as good as RGB on my PVM.
078f9460-ec74-4a76-a5c6-cd975a2b838c.jpg

e36bbe1a-8bc2-4b16-a60f-63e01c78bd50.jpg

b04e32b8-4996-4dca-a005-f08ddf8b7e22.jpg

d1061893-7d79-42c1-b103-435f2826ace9.jpg

brainpann

Posting this on the RGB thread too...
Had an idea to do my component modded SNES's with a TRRS style jack.
Looks pretty good. And not as gaudy as the SNES with the gold RCA jacks sticking out the back. Almost looks factory.
Also modified the circuit a bit and now it looks nearly as good as RGB on my PVM.

What mod did you do? Doesnt the old style SNES-save a few of the later models- do component out already?

HaL64

What mod did you do? Doesnt the old style SNES-save a few of the later models- do component out already?

The AV port only supports RGB out.
Some models have component internally which needs to be wired up with a special circuit. Some need you to add an rgb to component circuit.

MoxManiac

Just a FYI on save games; saves can also be deleted if the cartridge is really dirty and glitches out when you try to play or boot it. So keep the games clean.

Wow. I literally just bought a copy today for $75. It's going up in price, no doubt but that's crazy!

Craziness.

It costs nothing in both time and money to list items like that.

Sometimes people will buy them.

Other times it can be used to set expectations of the pricing so that cheaper carts look like a better price.

And sometimes the people are just crazy.

Rich!

So, quick question - is there any way to get rid of the audio buzz/hum from a SNES (or N64, actually)? It's the low frequency noise, I'm guessing caused by poor shielding. By comparison, the sound out of my Mega Drive's dedicated headphone jack is crystal clear with no noise.

Anyone know of a way to fix it? It's the same on all the SNES consoles I've ever owned.

edit: seems like there's a SPDIF digital audio mod that fixes the issue...but I'm not willing to do that myself. ah well.

HaL64

So, quick question - is there any way to get rid of the audio buzz/hum from a SNES (or N64, actually)? It's the low frequency noise, I'm guessing caused by poor shielding. By comparison, the sound out of my Mega Drive's dedicated headphone jack is crystal clear with no noise.

Anyone know of a way to fix it? It's the same on all the SNES consoles I've ever owned.

edit: seems like there's a SPDIF digital audio mod that fixes the issue...but I'm not willing to do that myself. ah well.

Depends one the setup you are using.
What video cables are you using? Are they official nintendo ones, scart, s-video, composite?
The 3rd party retrobit crap does not have proper shielding, so stay away.
I wired up a separate phono/headphone jack in the back of mine to get rid of the buzz.
Though with properly shielded cables it shouldn't be much of a problem.

[Edit] oh wait, nevermind, I know you. You are using scart.
I don't believe the guy from retrogamingcables.com sells properly shielded cables. I could be wrong though. If you open up the scart cable, and you can see metal shielding that is directly connected to the metal scart sheath, it's properly shielded. Some scart cables have the metal shielding but don't connect it to the scart sheath.

2da35515-b598-4c44-bb29-cb445f0c8e64.jpg

Rich!

Depends one the setup you are using.
What video cables are you using? Are they official nintendo ones, scart, s-video, composite?
The 3rd party retrobit crap does not have proper shielding, so stay away.
I wired up a separate phono/headphone jack in the back of mine to get rid of the buzz.
Though with properly shielded cables it shouldn't be much of a problem.

[Edit] oh wait, nevermind, I know you. You are using scart.
I don't believe the guy from retrogamingcables.com sells properly shielded cables. I could be wrong though. If you open up the scart cable, and you can see metal shielding that is directly connected to the metal scart sheath, it's properly shielded. Some scart cables have the metal shielding but don't connect it to the scart sheath.

2da35515-b598-4c44-bb29-cb445f0c8e64.jpg

funnily enough, I'm using a regular gamecube scart lead with the snes mini, not the c-sync one I got from RGC. I'll open it up and have a look.

TnK

Haven't played my SNES for a month now, and I really miss the system. Plus, currently in a situation that I can't really play it, lol.

That being said, are all the MMX games released on the PS1? If so, I remember my Rockman X3 was superior to the SNES version.

Right now, I want to get:
1- Super Metroid
2- Secret of Mana
3- Aladdin
4- That mickey game that I don't remember the name for
5- DKC2

Like the poster asked above, any excellent SFC games out there? On top of that, is it worth buying a JP Hagane?

-KRS-

Like the poster asked above, any excellent SFC games out there?

I'd like to know about more SFC games as well. I know there have to be some obscure hidden gems out there.

But if you like puzzle games I can recommend Super Puyo Puyo Tsu Remix and Super Tetris 3. Both games are pretty damn cheap CIB. And as previously mentioned in this thread, Umihara Kawase is pretty damn good.

Shining

Haven't played my SNES for a month now, and I really miss the system. Plus, currently in a situation that I can't really play it, lol.

That being said, are all the MMX games released on the PS1? If so, I remember my Rockman X3 was superior to the SNES version.

Right now, I want to get:
1- Super Metroid
2- Secret of Mana
3- Aladdin
4- That mickey game that I don't remember the name for
5- DKC2

Like the poster asked above, any excellent SFC games out there? On top of that, is it worth buying a JP Hagane?

Off the top of my head:

Undercover Cops, great tho expensive scrolling beat em up.

Macross Scrambled Valkyrie, the best shmup on the system (methinks).

Doremi Fantasy, quite on the easy side but it's a fantastic platformer.

Top Bottom