• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

I was going to buy it for $70 with tracking shipped to NZ which was awesome for me because everyone on eBay charges through the roof for shipping here, meaning I'd have to pay at least double that on average to get a copy here, and that's even if they will agree to ship here, most won't.

Holy cow, i was thinking that 40 + shipping was a bit expensive for this game. That really stinks.

Gameboy415

PS - from the description alone I now want Power Soukoban so bad. SO BAD.

I absolutely loved it. It's one of those rare games where once I started playing it I didn't want to stop until I'd completed it. :)
Here's a link to my favorite song from the soundtrack (and the rest of the stages):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s44dkUYRDC4&list=PLxh4DHUE_ulroEuSJ_P2UY5dTBIey5jQ1

Super Back to the Future 2 actually looks pretty cool, and a great 16 bit version of the main theme.

It's a lot of fun too! The Hoverboard controls are a bit wonky though.

I'm shocked to hear The Firemen is going for so much these days! I got it (and many of the other SF games I listed) CIB for under 500 yen (~$5) back in Japan.

It may have just been good timing on my part as a lot of stores seemed to be phasing out their older games. I recall visiting one of my favorite stores in the countryside after I'd moved to Osaka and they had all retro games 10 for 1000yen during a store-closing sale.
I could've spent days going through all of their games and gotten tons of great stuff but I had my (now ex-) girlfriend with me at the time and she was getting whiny after I spent 15 minutes going through just the SF games.
I went back a few weeks later with a friend (who also collects games) but the store had already closed up shop. :( :( :(

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I just picked up Final Fight 3 and....

the hell is wrong with Lucia?

How does somebody assume a fighting stance like that?

Is her spine broken in like 3 places?

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
So I just picked up Final Fight 3 and....

the hell is wrong with Lucia?

How does somebody assume a fighting stance like that?

Is her spine broken in like 3 places?

Guess she needs an acupuncture.

ffight3_00a.gif

Celine

There's quite a bit of text in Firemen. Is it in English on the SFC or am I looking at a translation patch?
There is a PAL version of Firemen (that's quite expensive).
Jap version is in japanese.

There are also bootleg/repro.

Just ordered this and Tetris Battle last night. Coming from Japan so it'll be a while before they arrive. Hope Treasure Hunter G is awesome. People seem to like it.
I don't like it much.
Some nice graphics in part though.

TnK

I picked C, A, B for Dr. S.

They seemed like the "warmest" colors and i think those look best for SNES games. The heavily pastel/bright look is offset by using a warmer color pallete, I think.

I wish that guy would quit fucking my wife
The hell does the last statement even mean !?

Bar81

I'm pretty sure it's in Japanese.

Correct. You either get the English patched rom if you have an everdrive, etc. or you can just have someone make a repro (pretty much two sides of the same coin). I have the JP game and just play it on my SD2SNES in English or my repro English cart.

Teknoman

Eh, been reading a lot of "GAF, I got divorced" and "GAF, my girlfriend is cheating on me", that I thought this was real.

Yup, Off-Topic will do that to ya :p

Pro-Tip stay away from creepy / bug threads late at night. Well actually off-topic browsing in general keeps you up later than it should lol.

On my OG SNES that little plastic bit in the center of the AC input hole snapped off today, lmao. I guess I'll investigate the SFC power input mod.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Played all the way through Donkey Kong Country for the first time tonight, and in co-op too. Liked it more than I expected to.

So hey guys, asking you all for your expert opinion on this, I'm trying to avoid a "bad" S Video cable for my Nintendo family systems (SFC N64 GCN), and I've got around a max of $20 I can throw at this. Anyone have any good suggestions?

-KRS-

Based on Gameboy415's recommendation (and because I like the GB games), I picked up a cart of Mario's Super Picross together with the Famicom games I bought since it was so cheap. Well, it's Picross! haha. I love it. So thanks for making me aware of that one GB415! :)

@H3XAntiStyle: Regarding S-video cables, I think it's quite hard to fuck up an S-video cable compared to RGB SCART. I have two cheap-ass S-video cables for my SNES that look superb. No interference in either the image or the sound with them. I think they were like $4-$5 or so. But that was on a Swedish auction site years ago.

People here recommended retrogamingcables.com for good RGB SCART cables for the SNES, but it seems they don't have S-video cables. There's also consolegoods.co.uk which do have S-video cables for £4.90. Both retrogamingcables and consolegoods are in the UK btw.

Peagles

Question... Does anybody have a really high res screenshot of the title screen part from Earthbound where it says: Earth Bound The War Against Giygas? I need something like 8MP quality... 3000x2400+... Or could I make one somehow?

Edit: Nevermind, I just enlarged a picture I found on Google images, looks okay...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Regarding S-video cables, I think it's quite hard to fuck up an S-video cable compared to RGB SCART.

I would be wary of any AV cable that includes both composite video and svideo on the same cable. I see a lot of horror stories that the svideo plug is often poorly wired on those. Make sure it's dedicated to svideo.

Zing

Banned
Yes, it's possible to find a decent one with svideo and composite, but there is still a chance you will get a dud. The official cables and monster cables are guaranteed to work great.

Teknoman

I cant wait to see whats next on the weirdness scale. Its been so long since i've played the game (only rented once) i've completely forgot the majority of it.

-KRS-

I would be wary of any AV cable that includes both composite video and svideo on the same cable. I see a lot of horror stories that the svideo plug is often poorly wired on those. Make sure it's dedicated to svideo.

Yes that's true. Although the ones I have do have both s-video and composite and they're still good, so it is possible they can be of good quality. But in general that's a good rule of thumb to follow. The one on consolegoods.co.uk is a dedicated s-video cable.

TnK

I have two S-video cables both with composite and without, and they work the same. The one with composite was about $4 and works flawlessly.

So hey guys, asking you all for your expert opinion on this, I'm trying to avoid a "bad" S Video cable for my Nintendo family systems (SFC N64 GCN), and I've got around a max of $20 I can throw at this. Anyone have any good suggestions?
On ebay, I recommend searching for the one that only has the S-video input without the yellow cord. Saves you a lot of hassle.

Yup, Off-Topic will do that to ya :p

Pro-Tip stay away from creepy / bug threads late at night. Well actually off-topic browsing in general keeps you up later than it should lol.
Nah man, those topics don't do anything to me (thankfully)

Finally got one of these bad boys. The best way to play Super Famicom games.
DSC09096.jpg
That thing is purdy. Does it support S-video? I know the US one doesn't.

HaL64

That thing is purdy. Does it support S-video? I know the US one doesn't.

Yeah, like the US one, it doesn't support it directly. However, also like the US one, it can be modded to support both s-video and RGB, which I will be doing when I get done with other mod work I have piled up.
There is just something sexy about this console compared to the US one. Dat SFC logo.

GloriousNL

Neo Member
Depends one the setup you are using.
What video cables are you using? Are they official nintendo ones, scart, s-video, composite?
The 3rd party retrobit crap does not have proper shielding, so stay away.
I wired up a separate phono/headphone jack in the back of mine to get rid of the buzz.
Though with properly shielded cables it shouldn't be much of a problem.

[Edit] oh wait, nevermind, I know you. You are using scart.
I don't believe the guy from retrogamingcables.com sells properly shielded cables. I could be wrong though. If you open up the scart cable, and you can see metal shielding that is directly connected to the metal scart sheath, it's properly shielded. Some scart cables have the metal shielding but don't connect it to the scart sheath.

2da35515-b598-4c44-bb29-cb445f0c8e64.jpg

So to properly sheild a cable I just solder the shielding part to the sheath?

dgco86

I've run into some problems with my childhood SNES lately. It emits a constant humming/buzzing sound from the TV speakers whenever the power is on. I've tried an assortment of TVs, AV cables and AC adaptors with the same results.

Thinking this was a problem with my SNES, I checked out 2 used sets over the weekend. The buzz was less obvious on the first one until you turn up the volume. The other one had no buzzing at all as far as I could tell.

Is there anything that can be done about this? Should I just get the second SNES that doesn't exhibit this problem?

-KRS-

I've run into some problems with my childhood SNES lately. It emits a constant humming/buzzing sound from the TV speakers whenever the power is on. I've tried an assortment of TVs, AV cables and AC adaptors with the same results.

Thinking this was a problem with my SNES, I checked out 2 used sets over the weekend. The buzz was less obvious on the first one until you turn up the volume. The other one had no buzzing at all as far as I could tell.

Is there anything that can be done about this? Should I just get the second SNES that doesn't exhibit this problem?

Hmm. Have you tried plugging the SNES into another power outlet? And is the humming sound present when using a composite cable? I know a lot of RGB SCARTs have issues with humming/buzzing because the picture signal interferes with the audio signal, but that is mostly present when the picture is very bright and disappears when the picture goes black.

Since you say that one of the SNESes did not have any buzzing though, it's probably something with the units themselves I'm afraid. Could be some capacitors that needs to be replaced maybe.

dgco86

Hmm. Have you tried plugging the SNES into another power outlet? And is the humming sound present when using a composite cable? I know a lot of RGB SCARTs have issues with humming/buzzing because the picture signal interferes with the audio signal, but that is mostly present when the picture is very bright and disappears when the picture goes black.

Since you say that one of the SNESes did not have any buzzing though, it's probably something with the units themselves I'm afraid. Could be some capacitors that needs to be replaced maybe.

Yup, the buzzing is present with both composite and s-video and I have tried it in different power outlets too. Looks like I might need to cough up for either a repair or replacement.

Petrae

Just bought this bundle off a friend for $80:

Nosferatu
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs
Actraiser 2
Killer Instinct
Super Street Fighter 2
Road Runner in Death Valley

Also, curious to see if anyone else uses this app

http://www.puregaming.org/Retro_Collector_Suite/SNES Collector

It's not entirely accurate for price and rarity, but it's close enough, and is super useful for keeping track of what you actually have

Nosferatu & Battletoads combined are about $80 per PriceCharting, so I think you did pretty well.

I have the PureGaming NES app, which is pretty good, but $4 per platform is kinda steep when you have multiple platforms to maintain libraries for. I tend to default to Coll'Them All; while it involves a lot of manual entry, it's still a clean and pretty handy app.

Top Bottom