• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

-KRS-

Ah yes, Doremi Fantasy is great. I forgot about that game. I'm always quite impressed by the amount of sprite animation it has.

Was Equinox any good?

I enjoyed it as a kid. Haven't gotten around to playing the copy I got last year yet

Haven't played my SNES for a month now, and I really miss the system. Plus, currently in a situation that I can't really play it, lol.

That being said, are all the MMX games released on the PS1? If so, I remember my Rockman X3 was superior to the SNES version.

Right now, I want to get:
1- Super Metroid
2- Secret of Mana
3- Aladdin
4- That mickey game that I don't remember the name for
5- DKC2

Like the poster asked above, any excellent SFC games out there? On top of that, is it worth buying a JP Hagane?

Just MMX3 I believe, and not in the US

Teknoman

Get Rockman X3 because the only thing the PS1/Saturn version has over it are the cutscenes. The music sucks compared to the SNES version.

Shining

Ah yes, Doremi Fantasy is great. I forgot about that game. I'm always quite impressed by the amount of sprite animation it has.
Absolutely! There are only like two stages where the wind is blowing and the sprite animation changes whether you are facing or turned away from the wind. Amazing.

-KRS-

Some of you have probably seen it, but Dr Sparkle of the Chrontendo project made a post on his blog asking for input regarding how to best represent SNES games on video. He has made a test video with three different games, each of which is running in 3 different configurations, and he's asking for input on what looks the most authentic.

http://chrontendo.blogspot.se/2014/04/you-input-is-requested.html

He said to not read anything into this, but how can you not?! Especially when he's being so vague about the purpose of all this. I won't get my hopes up for a Super Chrontendo though. I'm guessing he'll do something similar to the Game Boy special he had in Chrontendo 44 when he reached April '89 (GB's launch date).

Edit: Perhaps I should've posted this in the Chrontendo thread, but I'm not sure how many people read it.

TnK

Wait, you guys serious? The music is a lot better IMO in the ps1 version. Main reason why I love it on that system more.

I heard that the collection has input lag, that true?

EDIT: All of the videos don't look too authentic?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Some of you have probably seen it, but Dr Sparkle of the Chrontendo project made a post on his blog asking for input regarding how to best represent SNES games on video. He has made a test video with three different games, each of which is running in 3 different configurations, and he's asking for input on what looks the most authentic.

He said to not read anything into this, but how can you not?! Especially when he's being so vague about the purpose of all this. I won't get my hopes up for a Super Chrontendo though. I'm guessing he'll do something similar to the Game Boy special he had in Chrontendo 44 when he reached April '89 (GB's launch date).

Edit: Perhaps I should've posted this in the Chrontendo thread, but I'm not sure how many people read it.
I don't get it. If he's looking for authenticity, then can't he just compare to original hardware on a decent setup himself?

At a glance, the three of his examples seem to be (in a random order each time):
- 4:3 aspect ratio, 60fps
- 1:1 pixel mapping, 60fps
- 1:1 pixel mapping, 30fps (why???)

Either of the first two would be justifiable.

Mzo

Wait, you guys serious? The music is a lot better IMO in the ps1 version. Main reason why I love it on that system more.

I heard that the collection has input lag, that true?

I also prefer SNES X3.

I played the X Collection on a PS2 and a CRT. Got through everything just fine, and I'm the first dude to stand up and whine about even the slightest input lag. Same goes for the Mega Man Collection on the PS2, actually.

I blame different hardware or different display devices for those rumors.

really excited to get my copy of Yoshis Island CiB, i bought it for $34+ shipping the other day

kinda over paid but i had to get a CiB of my favorite snes game B^)

-KRS-

I don't get it. If he's looking for authenticity, then can't he just compare to original hardware on a decent setup himself?

At a glance, the three of his examples seem to be (in a random order each time):
- 4:3 aspect ratio, 60fps
- 1:1 pixel mapping, 60fps
- 1:1 pixel mapping, 30fps (why???)

Either of the first two would be justifiable.

Perhaps he simply doesn't have a SNES and/or a CRT at hand to test with.
And yeah I don't understand why he would even test 30fps at all. But besides that and the other differences you listed, the colors are also different between the examples and I think that might be his main concern. It's pretty noticable especially on the 30fps Mario one. The colors are more pale in that example.

Any good options for playing rom hacks on an snes jr?

There's a few Chinese rom loaders on eBay, but I don't know how good the quality is. I don't know if I want to take a chance on them at around $100. I'm guessing the everdrive is sold out?

koopas

really excited to get my copy of Yoshis Island CiB, i bought it for $34+ shipping the other day

kinda over paid but i had to get a CiB of my favorite snes game B^)
Is this your way of getting someone to tell you you got a great deal at $34? Because you got a great deal at $34. Range between $60 - $80 typically.

Ah thank you.

So I could get the everdrive and a copy ballz 3d. Solder the missing chip in to the everdrive PCB, then fit the PCB into the ballz shell?

Would it play Super FX games?

Well, after a few years of collecting I finally decided to jump into imports. Just received Rockman x2, Rockman 7, Seiken Densetsu 3, and Akumajo Dracula on Monday, but I am already looking for more. Seiken Densetsu doesn't want to work on my action replay, it just goes to a black screen during the intro but everything else is working flawlessly. I saved over 200 dollars by getting the Rockman games instead of Megaman, and x3 should arrive today. I am really glad I finally took the chance on importing, and now I ordered a famicom adapter to keep the fun going. Hopefully the action replay mk3 I ordered will solve my problem with Seiken Densetsu, but other than that I am hooked on imports now.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

Chronsega went into Genesis (but then again, the SMS had a much more limited library than the NES), so I wouldn't be surprised if Chrontendo goes to SNES after a certain point.

-KRS-

Ah thank you.

So I could get the everdrive and a copy ballz 3d. Solder the missing chip in to the everdrive PCB, then fit the PCB into the ballz shell?

Would it play Super FX games?

I'm not sure if Ballz 3D has the right chip, but you need to get a DSP chip from a game that uses it to be able to play DSP games. The Everdrive won't play Super FX or any other expansion chip other than DSP unfortunately.

If you want to be able to play lots of expansion chip games you want the SD2SNES. It also has the added benefit of not requiring you to get a DSP chip from a game since it can just emulate it. Super FX support is also coming, but that has been in the works for a couple of years now and is still not ready. So I wouldn't buy it specifically for Super FX support just yet. The downside with the SD2SNES of course is the price. It's about twice as expensive as the Everdrive.

So basically you have to decide if expansion chip support is worth the extra cost for you. Besides not supporting many expansion chips the Everdrive is otherwise an excellent product.

Edit: Oh and you don't need to install the DSP chip in the Everdrive for it to work. It will only not be able to play games that uses the DSP chip if you don't have it installed.

Chronsega went into Genesis (but then again, the SMS had a much more limited library than the NES), so I wouldn't be surprised if Chrontendo goes to SNES after a certain point.

Yeah I've been thinking that as well, but I seem to recall him saying that he wouldn't cover the Super Famicom since the library is simply too huge. I mean, isn't the SFC library larger than the SMS and MD libraries combined? So that's why I'm thinking he might do a special in one episode like he did with the Game Boy in episode 44. I think that's more likely.

Edit2:
Well, after a few years of collecting I finally decided to jump into imports. Just received Rockman x2, Rockman 7, Seiken Densetsu 3, and Akumajo Dracula on Monday, but I am already looking for more. Seiken Densetsu doesn't want to work on my action replay, it just goes to a black screen during the intro but everything else is working flawlessly. I saved over 200 dollars by getting the Rockman games instead of Megaman, and x3 should arrive today. I am really glad I finally took the chance on importing, and now I ordered a famicom adapter to keep the fun going. Hopefully the action replay mk3 I ordered will solve my problem with Seiken Densetsu, but other than that I am hooked on imports now.

Are you in Europe? If so, then yeah you need an adapter/action replay to play SFC games on your PAL SNES. If you have an American SNES however you can simply just remove the tabs inside the cartridge slot that prevents you from inserting the SFC cart because SFC and US SNES are compatible hardware wise.

It should work fine with the AR mk3 though since that seems to work with most games. But if it doesn't there's an adapter called the "AD-29 Universal Adapter Upgrade Version" that is really good. I have the non-upgrade version and it has worked with every SFC game I've bought as well as US Earthbound which didn't work with any of my other adapters. This was all on my PAL SNES btw. Not sure if the AD-29 is available for US SNESes.

Are you in Europe? If so, then yeah you need an adapter/action replay to play SFC games on your PAL SNES. If you have an American SNES however you can simply just remove the tabs inside the cartridge slot that prevents you from inserting the SFC cart because SFC and US SNES are compatible hardware wise.

It should work fine with the AR mk3 though since that seems to work with most games. But if it doesn't there's an adapter called the "AD-29 Universal Adapter Upgrade Version" that is really good. I have the non-upgrade version and it has worked with every SFC game I've bought as well as US Earthbound which didn't work with any of my other adapters. This was all on my PAL SNES btw. Not sure if the AD-29 is available for US SNESes.

Nope, I am in the US. I tried the tab removal on an extra SNES, but it is a dud apparently and I don't want to do the mod to my original SNES. I will just have to wait for the mk3 to arrive in the next week or so and see if that works better.

Nope, I am in the US. I tried the tab removal on an extra SNES, but it is a dud apparently and I don't want to do the mod to my original SNES. I will just have to wait for the mk3 to arrive in the next week or so and see if that works better.

Couldn't you just put the top part of the shell from the dud on the working one? Unless it doesn't fit, you've dumped it or something...

Couldn't you just put the top part of the shell from the dud on the working one? Unless it doesn't fit, you've dumped it or something...

I certainly could do that if I cannot get Seiken Densetsu working on the mk3. Honestly I would rather use the action replay though, I like to use cheats rather frequently.

I'm not sure if Ballz 3D has the right chip, but you need to get a DSP chip from a game that uses it to be able to play DSP games. The Everdrive won't play Super FX or any other expansion chip other than DSP unfortunately.

If you want to be able to play lots of expansion chip games you want the SD2SNES. It also has the added benefit of not requiring you to get a DSP chip from a game since it can just emulate it. Super FX support is also coming, but that has been in the works for a couple of years now and is still not ready. So I wouldn't buy it specifically for Super FX support just yet. The downside with the SD2SNES of course is the price. It's about twice as expensive as the Everdrive.

So basically you have to decide if expansion chip support is worth the extra cost for you. Besides not supporting many expansion chips the Everdrive is otherwise an excellent product.

Edit: Oh and you don't need to install the DSP chip in the Everdrive for it to work. It will only not be able to play games that uses the DSP chip if you don't have it installed.

Really the only games I'm interested in with that chip are Pilotwings and Mario Kart, which I own. But I believe there are some fairly good hacks of Mario Kart I'd like to play. So as long as the DSP-1B chip found in Ballz works for MK, which I think it does, I'll be fine. I just need a snes screwdriver.

And it'd be funny to have a flash cart in a ballz 3d case

Thanks for the help.

Rich!

Ballz 3D has the nessecary chips - I can confirm it's been used for Everdrives before. It has the DSP and the other chip, the name of which escapes me.

and in america at least, it's cheap as hell. because it's shit.

got an everdrive the other day and am playing through chrono trigger: flames of eternity now on my snes (surprisingly good quality).

Awesome not having to worry about batteries on SNES carts dying, even if a few games do not work

next up, xrgb mini.... though have some expenses around the house to deal with prior to that

got an everdrive the other day and am playing through chrono trigger: flames of eternity now on my snes (surprisingly good quality).

Does the everdrive allow you to boot directly in to the game you've been playing, or is the only option to go to the rom list after power up/reset?

And does it allow for in-game saving, not state saving? I don't particularly like the "save anywhere" system that emulators have, and would much rather go through the regular title screen and prompts to load my game.

I guess I'm really just asking how far away from the original SNES experience does the everdrive take you.

HaL64

I guess I'm really just asking how far away from the original SNES experience does the everdrive take you.

Depends on the person.
I get more enjoyment out of my games when I have a physical legit copy and have to pay for them. Having a folder full of roms somehow cheapens the experience. Even repro carts tend to cheapen things a bit.
I know this is probably not the really the answer to the question you were asking,

Yeah, to each his own. I can respect that. I'm mainly going to use it to play rom hacks and stuff that's stupidly expensive. I don't like the rom list thing either. I just want to play inaccessible games on a true SNES with real controllers and sounds. I forgot what it's like when games boot up instantly and hardly load.

And I'll be playing on a composite CRT I bought for $30 in 2005. That doesn't bother me either.

Does the everdrive allow you to boot directly in to the game you've been playing, or is the only option to go to the rom list after power up/reset?

And does it allow for in-game saving, not state saving? I don't particularly like the "save anywhere" system that emulators have, and would much rather go through the regular title screen and prompts to load my game.

i got it mainly for the reasons you listed below.. i cant stomach paying $200+ for a rare game and this gives me an option to play it without the inaccuracy of emulation. i own carts for as much stuff as i can

its actually really smooth. you boot up the snes and theres a short message thats its loading the os and checking the file system of your SD card. then you are brought to a black screen with a list of games. to load the game that you were previously playing you just hit the start button and the game instantly begins

to change games, you find the game in the list, press a, then press a again (load + start). then the game starts. this process is a little longer and takes ~30 seconds

the everdrive does not do snapshots (or if it does, I do not know how to), it uses the normal save system of the snes

Gameboy415

Like the poster asked above, any excellent SFC games out there?

I'd like to know about more SFC games as well. I know there have to be some obscure hidden gems out there.

I picked up a ton of great SF games during my time in Japan so I'm happy to help! :)

Here are some recommendations:

Games from Nintendo that never left Japan:
-Kirby no Kira Kira Kids - SF version of "Kirby's Star Stacker"
-Mario & Wario - A fun puzzle game that uses the SNES Mouse
-Mario's Super Picross - An upgraded version of the older Picross games on Game Boy
-Wrecking Crew '98 - An updated version of the NES game
-Marvelous: Another Treasure Island - Adventure-puzzle game reminiscent of Zelda: LTTP
-Sutte Hakkun - A bizarre puzzle-platformer staring a drinking-bird
-Power Soukoban - An awesome action-RPG version of Boxxle *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED*

Square/Enix games:
-Hamelin no Violin Hiki - Fun platformer based on the manga of the same name
-Seiken Densetsu 3 - AKA "Secret of Mana 2"
-Tenchi Souzou - AKA "Terranigma", excellent follow-up to Illusion of Gaia/Time
-Treasure Hunter G - Late-release RPG from Squaresoft

Other games of interest:
-The Firemen - Very fun Action-RPG-esque firefighting game
-Flying Hero - Fun top-down shooter
-Go Go Ackman 1-3 - Action-platformers with characters designed by Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball, Chrono Trigger, etc.)
-Gunman's Proof - Interesting Action-RPG set in the Wild West
-Magical Drop 1 & 2 - Fun puzzle games
-MajyuuOu - Castlevania-esque platformer/action game
-Pop'n Twinbee - Very fun shooter featuring characters from Twinbee
-R2: Rendering Ranger - Excellent run & gun/shooter hybrid (*VERY hard-to-find)
-Rockman & Forte - Excellent follow-up to Mega Man/Rockman 8
-SD F-1 Grand Prix - Great Kart Racer featuring animal racers
-Super Back to the Future II - Fun platformer featuring SD versions of BttF characters
-Super Soukoban - Another great, if more traditional version of 'Boxxle'
-Umihara Kawase - Fun puzzle-platformer with sequels/remakes on PS1, DS, PSP, & 3DS
-YS V - The only Ys game that hasn't been released/re-made in English thus far

I have a lot of other SF games but I think the above list is probably the best of the bunch.
I can post pics of all of the above games if anyone is interested/needs a reference to help track the games down.

Rich!

Yeah, to each his own. I can respect that. I'm mainly going to use it to play rom hacks and stuff that's stupidly expensive. I don't like the rom list thing either. I just want to play inaccessible games on a true SNES with real controllers and sounds. I forgot what it's like when games boot up instantly and hardly load.

And I'll be playing on a composite CRT I bought for $30 in 2005. That doesn't bother me either.

If you want to go straight into a game, just hit start and it'll instantly load the last game you played without any loading. Either way, playing games on the everdrive is technically identical to playing the real thing. My copy of Super Mario World on the Everdrive is the same code as what I'd be playing if I was using my SMW cart - it's exactly the same experience.

Mzo

Depends on the person.
I get more enjoyment out of my games when I have a physical legit copy and have to pay for them. Having a folder full of roms somehow cheapens the experience. Even repro carts tend to cheapen things a bit.
I know this is probably not the really the answer to the question you were asking,

What if the legit copy is in Japanese, a language you might not be able to read?

You still need the repro/flash card reader/emulator to play a fan translation and actually enjoy the game. Paying for every single repro one by one sounds way worse than just getting an SD2SNES. Buy the Japanese version and download the translated ROM.

PS - from the description alone I now want Power Soukoban so bad. SO BAD.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Paying for every single repro one by one sounds way worse than just getting an SD2SNES. Buy the Japanese version and download the translated ROM.

It doesn't feel like you own the game in English, though. =P

What if the legit copy is in Japanese, a language you might not be able to read?

You still need the repro/flash card reader/emulator to play a fan translation and actually enjoy the game. Paying for every single repro one by one sounds way worse than just getting an SD2SNES. Buy the Japanese version and download the translated ROM.

That's what I've been doing. I was buying repros, but just decided it seemed cooler to have the real Japanese carts. So yeah, buying SFC carts and playing the English roms with my SD2SNES.

Peagles

Kinda related, when I finally got a copy of Earthbound I put the chip inside my copy of Mother 2 so it'd fit inside my Super Famicom (since then I got a 1CHIP SFC and put it inside a spare US SNES I got). It was the only way I could play it (my passthrough device wiped my Super Metroid save and I didn't want to go through all that again with Earthbound).

It felt so strange, but so good.

Teknoman

Or get the SFC game for cheap and then have it translated...but I then again that might be as much as buying whatever repro you wanted.

brainpann

Or get the SFC game for cheap and then have it translated...but I then again that might be as much as buying whatever repro you wanted.

Yeah-that is basically as expensive. Im at a weird place where i feel awkward buying repros, especially at the insane prices people want for them. Lately, if there us a translated game i want to play, i buy the original cart but play through the translation on a flash cart.

I guess thats pretty weird when you think about it.

Is this your way of getting someone to tell you you got a great deal at $34? Because you got a great deal at $34. Range between $60 - $80 typically.

I am spoiled since i bought a ton of snes games for $1-$5 max over the years

I bought it from amazon, from a random seller that just started since i was randomly on amazon warehouse and found it through there.

I got it today but the box got crushed in shipping :'( , also a lot of clear tape on the left side , like a lot, lots of bents too and etc but oh well, im happy

BmhT6HaIYAAyQue.jpg

TnK

I also prefer SNES X3.

I played the X Collection on a PS2 and a CRT. Got through everything just fine, and I'm the first dude to stand up and whine about even the slightest input lag. Same goes for the Mega Man Collection on the PS2, actually.

I blame different hardware or different display devices for those rumors.
Time to track the collections on the PS2 then.
Toxic Seahorse arranged

Toxic Seahorse SNES

I gotta go SNES on this one. I like some of the power battle arrangements for the original Megaman used on the disc releases...but X3 just seemed unfitting for the X series.
Oh man, the nostalgia from the first track. Guess that whoever played which version first likes that version more? Dunno.
I picked up a ton of great SF games during my time in Japan so I'm happy to help! :)

Here are some recommendations:

Games from Nintendo that never left Japan:
-Kirby no Kira Kira Kids - SF version of "Kirby's Star Stacker"
-Mario & Wario - A fun puzzle game that uses the SNES Mouse
-Mario's Super Picross - An upgraded version of the older Picross games on Game Boy
-Wrecking Crew '98 - An updated version of the NES game
-Marvelous: Another Treasure Island - Adventure-puzzle game reminiscent of Zelda: LTTP
-Sutte Hakkun - A bizarre puzzle-platformer staring a drinking-bird
-Power Soukoban - An awesome action-RPG version of Boxxle *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED*

Square/Enix games:
-Hamelin no Violin Hiki - Fun platformer based on the manga of the same name
-Seiken Densetsu 3 - AKA "Secret of Mana 2"
-Tenchi Souzou - AKA "Terranigma", excellent follow-up to Illusion of Gaia/Time
-Treasure Hunter G - Late-release RPG from Squaresoft

Other games of interest:
-The Firemen - Very fun Action-RPG-esque firefighting game
-Flying Hero - Fun top-down shooter
-Go Go Ackman 1-3 - Action-platformers with characters designed by Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball, Chrono Trigger, etc.)
-Gunman's Proof - Interesting Action-RPG set in the Wild West
-Magical Drop 1 & 2 - Fun puzzle games
-MajyuuOu - Castlevania-esque platformer/action game
-Pop'n Twinbee - Very fun shooter featuring characters from Twinbee
-R2: Rendering Ranger - Excellent run & gun/shooter hybrid (*VERY hard-to-find)
-Rockman & Forte - Excellent follow-up to Mega Man/Rockman 8
-SD F-1 Grand Prix - Great Kart Racer featuring animal racers
-Super Back to the Future II - Fun platformer featuring SD versions of BttF characters
-Super Soukoban - Another great, if more traditional version of 'Boxxle'
-Umihara Kawase - Fun puzzle-platformer with sequels/remakes on PS1, DS, PSP, & 3DS
-YS V - The only Ys game that hasn't been released/re-made in English thus far

I have a lot of other SF games but I think the above list is probably the best of the bunch.
I can post pics of all of the above games if anyone is interested/needs a reference to help track the games down.

Aaaaaand, thank you =D

Teknoman

Time to track the collections on the PS2 then.

Oh man, the nostalgia from the first track. Guess that whoever played which version first likes that version more? Dunno.

Aaaaaand, thank you =D

That could have something to do with it actually. I mean the arranged dont sound bad, they just dont sound like MMX music to me. But then again I thought the same of X4, and didnt think they made things right until X5 (soundtrack wise).

EDIT: Super Back to the Future 2 actually looks pretty cool, and a great 16 bit version of the main theme.

I finally got a action replay mk3! I have been looking for one for 2 years, and happened to stumble across this one last week. It came from Belgium, so it is not in English but that's okay. Got a great deal on it as well, 66 dollars shipped.

Peagles

Aww man, finally got my hands on Firemen (or so I thought) but the seller sold to someone else because I took half an hour to send my next message.

Hope someone here got it and enjoys it!

Aww man, finally got my hands on Firemen (or so I thought) but the seller sold to someone else because I took half an hour to send my next message.

Hope someone here got it and enjoys it!

Ugh, I want that game too. It is turning out to be more expensive than I thought it was.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
There's quite a bit of text in Firemen. Is it in English on the SFC or am I looking at a translation patch?

I picked C, A, B for Dr. S.

They seemed like the "warmest" colors and i think those look best for SNES games. The heavily pastel/bright look is offset by using a warmer color pallete, I think.

I wish that guy would quit fucking my wife

Peagles

Ugh, I want that game too. It is turning out to be more expensive than I thought it was.

I was going to buy it for $70 with tracking shipped to NZ which was awesome for me because everyone on eBay charges through the roof for shipping here, meaning I'd have to pay at least double that on average to get a copy here, and that's even if they will agree to ship here, most won't.

Firemen has definitely been on the rise lately.

Really? Damnit. I guess I'll just have to wait til my honeymoon in Japan to try find a copy. Been looking for a year or two, I guess I can wait another year or two, lol.

There's quite a bit of text in Firemen. Is it in English on the SFC or am I looking at a translation patch?

I'm pretty sure it's in Japanese.

Top Bottom