• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Bar81

Silvergun has been $150+ for at least 10 years. Any value decrease would have come via inflation. The 360 port had little if any effect. Guardian Heroes is another 360 port that didn't really effect the value of the original. Which is strange, because the 360 version is unequivocally superior.

Part of it is also these ports aren't physical so you lose the game when the system croaks and the servers are shut down.

Part of it is also these ports aren't physical so you lose the game when the system croaks and the servers are shut down.

By that logic, why invest in the disc when there's a chance it will degrade and not be readable in a few years. Oh god, everything is temporal. Eventually we're all going to die too. Why bother doing anything?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Kinda kills the whole discussion aspect of message boards if you're intentionally not discussing games you're interested in.

I kinda think if you obsess over prices to the point that you wouldn't even want to discuss games, you're in the wrong hobby.

Bar81

By that logic, why invest in the disc when there's a chance it will degrade and not be readable in a few years. Oh god, everything is temporal. Eventually we're all going to die too. Why bother doing anything?

Because a disc is going to last 20+ years and typically much longer and there's no risk of it disappearing if my hardware goes on the fritz. Not even close to comparable.

woodypop

Yeah, average Strider clones should be priced accordingly.

I guess folks see Atlus and assume it's gold, lmao.
Well, I think Run Saber has a few things going for it that make it attractive, imo:

-It's obviously inspired by the well-known Strider
-It has co-op play
-It has some interesting designs
-It's a solidly good game
-To my knowledge, it has never been re-released elsewhere

I can see why it might command above average prices.

IrishNinja

didn't even know Run Saber had co-op, that's cool

I think Guardian Heroes has actually gone up in price since the 360 port came out.

true, but that's not exclusive to that title...i think a huge majority of non-pack in games on the saturn scene spiked in recent years, even common ones

It was already considered a good game, and not a hidden gem.
And that game looks great, and also has doubled in value following the same trend as Run Saber and Demon's Crest...so... huh?
When you look at the list, there's a lot of valuable games, and a lot of upwards trending, especially around that July 2012 date, as people already noticed. Magic Sword and Firepower 2000 stick out a bit.

Demon's Crest $100
Firepower 2000 $15
Hagane $300
Knights of the Round $50-55
King of Dragons $50-55
Magic Sword $15-20
Rock and Roll Racing $30-35
Run Saber $35-40
Space Megaforce $55-60
Wild Guns $200

But you are correct in that MS definitely has trended up even more in the last year. I nearly bought it several times last winter, all in the $10 range, and didn't notice that it is hovering around $20 now.

...and I think the game looks sh$tty. To each his own.

Zing

Banned
Magic Sword is just a weak arcade port. I loved the arcade game. I tried the SNES game (back at release) and didn't enjoy it.

Guys, need some advice please.

Am in the UK and have just bought an immaculate US SNES and am importing it over.

Before it arrives, I just wanted to find out what others are using for powering the thing... am aware I need a step down adapter, but have seen a few online sellers selling power adapters for the thing with UK plugs as an alternative.

Having said that, I've read a few forum posts from people saying these aren't always reliable as they don't include the power transformer.

So before I make a purchase and potentially blow the thing up, would any UK GAFers share how they're powering their US Super Nintendo please?

Thanks

Rich!

Guys, need some advice please.

Am in the UK and have just bought an immaculate US SNES and am importing it over.

Before it arrives, I just wanted to find out what others are using for powering the thing... am aware I need a step down adapter, but have seen a few online sellers selling power adapters for the thing with UK plugs as an alternative.

Having said that, I've read a few forum posts from people saying these aren't always reliable as they don't include the power transformer.

So before I make a purchase and potentially blow the thing up, would any UK GAFers share how they're powering their US Super Nintendo please?

Thanks

You can build your own adapter using a fivers worth of parts from Maplin, and then use a Mega Drive 1 power adapter with it. That's what I did.

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/power-adapter-for-american-snes/

Easy as hell and cheap.

Cody_D165

Banned
So I recently made the discovery my CRT has an unused S-Video port and I'm looking to make the switch from composite to S-Video for my SNES, 64, and Cube. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good cable to use?

Lettuce

Look what turned up today....

ibiovkJMmHnkK2.jpg

Been waiting awhile to get this for under £20 delivered

Tain

Akumajou Dracula XX is the one 16-bit game in the series I haven't played.

I still can't tell if I particularly need to!

Tain

oh hey let me jump in on this CIB gamesoft stuff! Box is a little worn but whatever:

valkenins6z.jpg

I normally don't do CIB when it comes to platforms that had cardboard boxes, but this was pretty much the same price as cart-only.

Krakle

I bought my first ever SNES yesterday along with Super Mario Allstars and Super Mario Kart.

I'm wondering what games you guys recommend I should add to my collection?

Bar81

I bought my first ever SNES yesterday along with Super Mario Allstars and Super Mario Kart.

What genres of games do you like? There are a bunch of great games on the SNES/SFC.

Bar81

oh hey let me jump in on this CIB gamesoft stuff! Box is a little worn but whatever:

valkenins6z.jpg

I normally don't do CIB when it comes to platforms that had cardboard boxes, but this was pretty much the same price as cart-only.

Great stuff, particularly given how butchered the US release was. The best thing to do though if you want to follow along and don't read Japanese, is to get a repro cart with an English translation or an everdrive type cart so you can play that.

ivanmark

For start:
Donkey Kong Country trilogy
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Axelay
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Metroid
Super R-Type
Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
Aladdin

Bar81

Anything except RPG's. I'm looking at getting Super Mario World and Super Star Wars.

Those are both fine. I'm guessing we are sticking to US games; here's a dozen to get you started:

(1) Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (music changed from NES originals but still good stuff).
(2) Actraiser
(3) Super Off Road (really fun racing game)
(4) Demon's Crest (expensive)
(5) Super Double Dragon
(6) Ninja Warriors
(7) Cybernator (butchered from JP release but gameplay is still there)
(8) Wild Guns (expensive)
(9) Super Castlevania IV
(10) Hagane
(11) U.N. Squadron
(12) R-Type III

Lettuce

If you dont mind JPN games get those versions rather than the US version, as they are ALOT cheaper!

Shoot Em Ups
Super R-Type
R-Type 3
Gradius 3
UN Squadron
Space MegaForce/Super Aleste
Axelay
Wild Guns
Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie

Platformers
Donkey Kong Country 1-3
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Castlevania: Dracula X
Super Castlevania
Demon's Crest
Aladdin
Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse
Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures
Super Star Wars
Super Empires Strike Back
Super Return of the Jedi
Joe & Mac
Super Metroid
Super Ghouls n Ghosts
TwinBee: Rainbow Bell Adventure
Sparkster
Prince of Persia
Pitfall
Buster Busts Loose
The Adventures of Batman & Robin
Marvel Super Heroes: War Of The Gems
X-Men Mutant Apocalypse
Actraiser
Actrasier 2
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy

Run N Gun
Cybernator
Contra 3
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Hagane
Metal Warriors
Mega Man X
Mega Man X 2
Mega Man X 3
Super Turrican
Super Turrican 2
Alien 3
Sunset Riders
Super Smash TV
Total Carnage
Earthworm Jim

Beat Em Ups
Super Double Dragon
Final Fight
Final Fight 2
Final Fight 3
Brawl Brothers
Super Street Fighter 2
Captain Commando
Knights Of The Round
Batman Returns
Turtles In Time
Turtles Tournament Fighters
Super Punch Out
Mortal Kombat 2

Racing
F-Zero
Top Gear
Top Gear 2
Stunt Race FX
Lamborghini Challenge
Rock N Roll Racing
Street Racer
Uniracers
Pilotwings (know its not a racer)

That just some, im sure ive forgot loads and there IS a whole load more!!!

Rich!

I see what you mean. Maybe I'll get a US console at some point in the future.

Thanks for your recommendations by the way. Looks like I'm going to be trawling ebay over the coming months :)

Just install a 50/60hz switch - it's a simple mod. Or get someone else to install it for you - then you have all your PAL games in full screen glory.

Lettuce

Just install a 50/60hz switch - it's a simple mod. Or get someone else to install it for you - then you have all your PAL games in full screen glory.

I though the compatibility with some games wasn't great with that mod??, either running too fast, too slow or not at all???

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've had no issues with it. Also, anything is better than the default 50hz.

Yeah, in this day and age, I don't understand why anyone would want to collect PAL games. NTSC is how this stuff was meant to be played.

Unless it's James Pond, in which case, it wasn't meant to be played at all.

-KRS-

The only game I've heard people have problems with on the switch mod is Super Mario RPG. Apparently that wont work on PAL systems with the switch mod. Perhaps other games using the SA-1 expansion chip also wont work, but I'm not sure.

Rich!

The only game I've heard people have problems with on the switch mod is Super Mario RPG. Apparently that wont work on PAL systems with the switch mod. Perhaps other games using the SA-1 expansion chip also wont work, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, same with Kirby Super Star/Fun Pak, but that's solved by adding a lockout switch.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Are there any notable differences between the US and JPN version of King of Dragons? Thinking of getting the SFC version to save me a chunk of change.

Top Bottom