• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
SNES Bitboxes are also on their way, I like the VHS feel the NES ones have.

I can definitely vouch for the quality of the NES ones. Very good cases. More expensive for sure, but I think they're worth it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah, I feel like I'll probably want to nab a bunch of those BitBoxes. Hopefully, they're a bit classier looking than the UGCs. Either way, I'm not a huge fan of cardboard on my display shelves.

ZealousD

Yeah, I feel like I'll probably want to nab a bunch of those BitBoxes. Hopefully, they're a bit classier looking than the UGCs. Either way, I'm not a huge fan of cardboard on my display shelves.

They're definitely better. The closest thing to compare them to would be the VHS cases that Disney used for their animated movies.

DarkFlow

Banned
Figured I'd cross post this here since you guys would be the interested party. Want to sell it so I can use the money for my son's 2nd birthday.

WTS

E.V.O.: Search for Eden SNES. Cart only, in pretty good shape. Looking for $160 but open to offers.

H2Gwdzl.jpg
qVidmOX.jpg

KScQ5LK.jpg
KXcEyo5.jpg

I'd be interested, but the timing is bad for me. Just dropped money on Sunset Riders and Nosferatu, and I have a prospective R-Type III I'm looking into

Plus I was hoping to get EVO for $120 at most, which is looking more and more unrealistic :(

Rich!

Added a couple of phono sockets to the back of my SNES Mini for audio. Was getting terrible audio from every scart cable I tried, including an official Nintendo one, so I just soldered a direct line out.

Sound is crystal clear now. Hooray! I also did the prosound mod on my SGB2 and that sounds fucking amazing. I've been keeping myself busy over the past few weeks, and getting my modding skills back up to scratch was a good timewaster. My SGB2 mod was a bit ghetto, using whatever shit I had lying around but turned out good:

I used a bit too much wiring, but it looks pretty cool imo lol. as for the sound:

The waveform on the left is the Tetris theme recorded from the SNES (before I did a lineout mod on my SNES). The right side is the same tune recorded directly through the SGB. HUGE difference. It's so damn clear. Even after fixing the audio on the SNES itself, the SGB2 still comes out on top.

I've now bought a whole joblot of shitty PAL SNES consoles listed as faulty, broken, etc - and fixing them. I'm adding 50/60hz switches to each along with region free, possible CIC switchless mods and line audio. I'll be finishing each one off with a re-coat of paint (done tastefully and preserving the original design, not tacky like most I've seen) to cover the yellowing old cases. Then it's off to resell them. I've worked out I'd make a decent profit from each, which is nice.

I'll post images of the first one when I'm done with it.

Lettuce

I'd be interested, but the timing is bad for me. Just dropped money on Sunset Riders and Nosferatu, and I have a prospective R-Type III I'm looking into

Plus I was hoping to get EVO for $120 at most, which is looking more and more unrealistic :(

Was sunset riders CIB, how much did u get it for?....I need the instruction manual to make mine complete but no one seems to do reproductions of these and I'm not paying £60+ for just the instructions from a eBay seller

On a side note, does anybody know the tip size of the US NTSC SNES PSU?, Im sure it's 7mm x 5mm but not sure

Was sunset riders CIB, how much did u get it for?....I need the instruction manual to make mine complete but no one seems to do reproductions of these and I'm not paying £60+ for just the instructions from a eBay seller

On a side note, does anybody know the tip size of the US NTSC SNES PSU?, Im sure it's 7mm x 5mm but not sure

No, cart only, and it was $55. That's probably about as good as you're going to get on eBay (this was a local re-seller), and this thing is pretty mint so I jumped on it. I really don't go after manuals and boxes since the price of the rarer games is ridiculous enough as it is. Once I do get all the games, I will go back and start trying to pick up more manuals, but right now they are de-prioritized

-KRS-

Was looking at some SFC auctions from Japanese sellers on ebay and found this in the description of one of them:

"I have a smoke and pet free home but almost everything I own is second hand and have no way of knowing the previous owners had smoking pets."

Hahaha.

Was looking at some SFC auctions from Japanese sellers on ebay and found this in the description of one of them:

"I have a smoke and pet free home but almost everything I own is second hand and have no way of knowing the previous owners had smoking pets."

Hahaha.
Hah. That's awesome. Smoking pets.

Teknoman

Added a couple of phono sockets to the back of my SNES Mini for audio. Was getting terrible audio from every scart cable I tried, including an official Nintendo one, so I just soldered a direct line out.

Sound is crystal clear now. Hooray! I also did the prosound mod on my SGB2 and that sounds fucking amazing. I've been keeping myself busy over the past few weeks, and getting my modding skills back up to scratch was a good timewaster. My SGB2 mod was a bit ghetto, using whatever shit I had lying around but turned out good:

I used a bit too much wiring, but it looks pretty cool imo lol. as for the sound:

The waveform on the left is the Tetris theme recorded from the SNES (before I did a lineout mod on my SNES). The right side is the same tune recorded directly through the SGB. HUGE difference. It's so damn clear. Even after fixing the audio on the SNES itself, the SGB2 still comes out on top.

I've now bought a whole joblot of shitty PAL SNES consoles listed as faulty, broken, etc - and fixing them. I'm adding 50/60hz switches to each along with region free, possible CIC switchless mods and line audio. I'll be finishing each one off with a re-coat of paint (done tastefully and preserving the original design, not tacky like most I've seen) to cover the yellowing old cases. Then it's off to resell them. I've worked out I'd make a decent profit from each, which is nice.

I'll post images of the first one when I'm done with it.

That looks like some sort of CPU brain.

A roughed up copy of Lufia & the Fortress of Doom is coming to me in the mail soon. Got it for a cheap "best offer", considering the condition of the cart. Doesn't bother me though, I just want to play the damned game, and the lower the price - the better.

UJy3c74.jpg

Maximus.

Posted in BST but posting in the retro appreciation threads as well..

Anyone one in the Syracuse/CNY area want a free Sony Wega 34"?

Sony-KV-34HS420
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-A5kz8johJSI/p_158KV34HS4/Sony-KV-34HS420.html
Free to a good home. It's an old CRT only being used for retro gaming. Need it out the house ASAP. as i am upgrading to a 36 XBR non-widescreen tomorrow and well want this to go to a good home for a retrogamer.
This one right here.

Ob4EkFk.jpg

Great TV, heavy as fuck though.

televator

It sucks about how cumbersome those tvs are. They're great but their weight makes them a logistical problem to transport. I've been wanting a more modern Wega but 3 things have to be in order. Finding one, having a truck, and a friend to help move the 300 lbs tv.

It sucks about how cumbersome those tvs are. They're great but their weight makes them a logistical problem to transport. I've been wanting a more modern Wega but 3 things have to be in order. Finding one, having a truck, and a friend to help move the 300 lbs tv.

Yeah, I would l love to have one of those nice Wega's but with a bad back I have to stick with my plasma. S-video up converted, looks pretty nice on it though. I do have a CRT hanging around for when I want to play light gun games, but it is nowhere near as nice as that.

I'll be finishing each one off with a re-coat of paint (done tastefully and preserving the original design, not tacky like most I've seen) to cover the yellowing old cases. Then it's off to resell them.
Why not retrobrighting them? You can even re-use the "soup".

I always prefer OEM consoles, I understand the painting to cover up yellow but... What if they weren't yellow? :)

Some will have dents and all, and those are better off painted, but yeah.

On another note, one highly apreciated thing is the widened cartridge opening and proper flap, if you're willing.

Speaking of Flaps I have a very mistreated one:

CKVPVED.jpg

Rest of the console is pretty mint, I can't understand how the previous owner did this.

Danny Dudekisser

No, I understand this. There have been times in the past where I've gotten pissed playing a game, picked up a nearby screwdriver, and stabbed the shit out of a controller. I have pix of the aftermath. Anyway, this has all the telltale signs of a stabbing.

IrishNinja

I think UGCs look really inelegant. The clear case just makes them look like rentals. A matte black alternative would be better.

^these opinions are garbage; UGC's are awesome and if you print the covers right you barely even see the clear case from the spine (which is what you look at 99% of the time)

just throwin that out there

Rich!

The retrobrite process, for me anyway, isn't reliable enough. And in any case, the consoles I am buying have various scratches, dents and cracks which I can easily fix into a smooth finish, but then look shit unless they are covered over afterwards.

Danny Dudekisser

^these opinions are garbage; UGC's are awesome and if you print the covers right you barely even see the clear case from the spine (which is what you look at 99% of the time)

Lol, the UGCs just make me feel like I'm at Blockbuster. I feel like I'm going to open the case, and there's going to be some nasty-ass cart that's been dunked in coffee and that has someone else's save file on it.

I don't want to go back to those times :(

ZealousD

Yeah but then you have to grab them and open them up when you want to get a game. You can't put bigger manuals in them either. They're cheap and an imperfect solution. Plus you have to do a lot of work to them for NES games. BitBoxes are much better.

ZealousD

Tengen manuals are huge. NES Open. Final Fantasy.

SNES in general, really. They won't fit into UGCs.

Now using bitbox for nes, that I can see. Not sure why the guy who made UGC didnt think about the nes when making the mold.

They're too big. They're "universal" game cases. They were designed to fit as many systems and cartridges as possible. NES throws a wrench into the whole thing.

No, I understand this. There have been times in the past where I've gotten pissed playing a game, picked up a nearby screwdriver, and stabbed the shit out of a controller. I have pix of the aftermath. Anyway, this has all the telltale signs of a stabbing.
You might be on to something...

HSevfqq.jpg

9dY28zM.jpg

Did you just sell me an SNES?

Zing

Banned
I suspect that many SNES controllers have teeth marks. One of mine does. I distinctly remember me and my friend both having teeth marks in ours back then from us biting on controller in frustration. I've seen plenty of teeth marks in controllers at swap meets and such.

WarpathDC

I randomly found a store in the DC Metro area that had a healthy collection of NIB SNES games. It was very hard to leave with my wallet.

I randomly found a store in the DC Metro area that had a healthy collection of NIB SNES games. It was very hard to leave with my wallet.
Where's this, exactly? The CD Game Exchange in Silver Spring off of MD-29? I know I picked up several CIB SNES games there (although I probably shouldn't have)...

Danny Dudekisser

I wonder if there are any decent retro game stores in Chicago. Visiting my friend in the city tomorrow, so I might find an excuse to scope one out.

Top Bottom