• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Bunch of Disc Replays around there. I've heard the Downers Grove one sucks, but the Skokie one looks fucking sweet in their facebook pictures.

Downers Grove
Skokie
Hoffman Estates
Countryside

I've only been to the Naperville and Bolingbrook ones, but they don't seem to have anything older than that. I'm guessing Disc Replay isn't going to be the solution for me for that stuff.

Might check out the Downer's Grove one in the next few days, though... forgot there was one there.

Mzo

They're ripoffs when it comes to popular and well-known stuff, but you can always find great deals on lesser known games.

aka every shop ive been to down here as well

Yeah, a lot of places are like that. It shows that the place either doesn't know their shit, or they are banking on the casuals. At a dedicated retro shop, it's usually casuals hunting, at a pawn shop it's usually lack of knowledge.

The lack of knowledge ones can work to your advantage, of course. One day when HaL64 and I were out hunting, we went to a pawn shop. They had a small stack of PSX stuff without prices (but a $1 sign near them). Monster Rancher 2 and Metal Gear Solid were in the stack, so I asked if they were a dollar. The guy told me I could get Monster Rancher 2 for $1, but Metal Gear was rarer and more valuable, so it'd be $5.

He had heard of Metal Gear, assumed that meant it was worth something, had not heard of Monster Rancher so assumed it was worthless. Of course the reality is that MR2 is worth way more than Metal Gear, and certainly worth way more than $1.

Yeah, a lot of places are like that. It shows that the place either doesn't know their shit, or they are banking on the casuals. At a dedicated retro shop, it's usually casuals hunting, at a pawn shop it's usually lack of knowledge.

The lack of knowledge ones can work to your advantage, of course. One day when HaL64 and I were out hunting, we went to a pawn shop. They had a small stack of PSX stuff without prices (but a $1 sign near them). Monster Rancher 2 and Metal Gear Solid were in the stack, so I asked if they were a dollar. The guy told me I could get Monster Rancher 2 for $1, but Metal Gear was rarer and more valuable, so it'd be $5.

He had heard of Metal Gear, assumed that meant it was worth something, had not heard of Monster Rancher so assumed it was worthless. Of course the reality is that MR2 is worth way more than Metal Gear, and certainly worth way more than $1.
For sure. I found Gotcha Force on Gamecube from a video game vendor, no less. That game has been on the rise lately and I'm sure it was priced so low only because they'd never heard of it.

haha i am 0-4 in getting snes games(complete) at this thrift store i go to
always by fat/heavy set older guys too, yup i'm mad :/
congrats on beating me by a minute , like 20 CiB games too and random carts

so by total i lost on owning 50 CiB games those four times 0_o, if the buying it sees this then you got lucky

IrishNinja

exactly...local buddy showed me a spot that wants $$$ for PS1 square RPGS ($120 for Vagrant Story, hahahaha) but he picked up Intelligent Qube there for $5.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Video-Games...e&_dcat=139973&Platform=Nintendo%20SNES&rt=nc

Brilliant

But yeah, most of the resellers around here are the same way.

Super Turrican 2 = $140
Castlevania Bloodlines = $60
Kirby's Avalanche = $60(!)
Super Mario All-Stars = $40

Run Saber, Super Turrican, Final Fight 2, SOS, Liberty or Death = $8
Bronkie the Bronchosaurus = $15

If they know what they have, or think they do, it's overpriced. If they don't, it's given a generic common price

What would you folks say is the best belt scroll action game on SNES? Am I missing anything by not owning the big ticket stuff like Undercover Cops and Final Fight Tough?

Danny Dudekisser

What would you folks say is the best belt scroll action game on SNES? Am I missing anything by not owning the big ticket stuff like Undercover Cops and Final Fight Tough?

Undercover Cops was a pretty mediocre port (definitely doesn't warrant a purchase with prices what they are), and Final Fight Tough is... well, I haven't played it, but I played FF3. It's alright. I don't think Final Fight 2 or 3 were anywhere near as good as the arcade original, and while it's a more exciting romp than FF2, it's still kinda slow. Not enough weapons, either.

Ninja Warriors Again is the only one I'd recommend. Japanese version even lets you beat up women.

iamtheb

haha i am 0-4 in getting snes games(complete) at this thrift store i go to
always by fat/heavy set older guys too, yup i'm mad :/
congrats on beating me by a minute , like 20 CiB games too and random carts

so by total i lost on owning 50 CiB games those four times 0_o, if the buying it sees this then you got lucky

Hey, buddy. Fat guys like collecting old games, too.

yeah, Run Saber stays high on my list, personally...that and rock & roll racing ask too much for me right now

ugh, god forbid you wanted wild guns too
Wild Guns had already spiked above 100 a few times before and was generally trending up prior to Mike's video. I doubt it would be the $150+ game it is today without that video, but it would probably be sitting around $100 or so at this point. I actually just bought a copy a few weeks ago, and I don't regret it at all.

At this point, I think everyone is too worried about further inflating prices to make more videos about underrated games--especially guys like Mike and HVGN. When you're one of the few people than can cause a game's price to increase threefold solely based on your recommendation, you have to be careful about what you say.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Has there been any game that spiked up in price before and now gone back to the way it was before? I can't think of any.

Marvel vs Capcom 2 used to be worth a lot more before they did the digital re-release a few years ago. The PS2 version in particular used to sell for $100, but it's sunk all the way down to the $25 level.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Has there been any game that spiked up in price before and now gone back to the way it was before? I can't think of any.
Zero Wing and Michael Jackson's Moonwalker, due to internet fad and celebrity death, respectively. Also Final Fantasy VII, for reasons that escape me.

Nothing else immediately comes to mind, but I can name a number of games that spiked a long time ago and have leveled-off for a decade or more without really increasing any further since then.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
PSN release, I'm sure.
No, I meant that its rise was extremely sudden, drastic, and not that long-lived. Maybe it was Advent Children hype? I dunno. I was never invested in that series myself and can't remember the timing of events at all.

I'm skeptical that digital re-releases ever have a strong influence on declining prices of the original versions. If that was the case, nothing from the easily emulated 16-bit era would ever demand triple-digit prices. The market that wants physical CIB copies of the original release is a much different kind of market that just wants to play the game.

Yo, I figured out why it's called "People Play Games" instead of "People Buy Games." It's because even garbage is so expensive there, that people are like "shit, I'll just play the games I have."

LOL. It sounds like I have no reason to ever bother going to Chicago to hunt for stuff. Especially since at least one of the Disc Replays up there puts their shit on Amazon. I hope that isn't something that spreads to other stores, 'cause that'll pretty much ruin them.

IrishNinja

^i recall that window, as i was trying to rebuy FF VII and motherfuckers were asking $50+ on even GH copies. i very much think it was riding Advent Children's coattails & having no other way to play it at the time, yeah

ZealousD

I'm skeptical that digital re-releases ever have a strong influence on declining prices of the original versions. If that was the case, nothing from the easily emulated 16-bit era would ever demand triple-digit prices. The market that wants physical CIB copies of the original release is a much different kind of market that just wants to play the game.

But sometimes those two markets are competing for the same games. As I said before, there was a HUGE drop in price for MVC2. If you look at the PriceCharting you'll see the price drop off like a cliff from April-to-May 2009, which coincides exactly with when it was announced that it would be coming to XBLA/PSN. And this same drop also exists with the XBOX and Dreamcast versions. 16-bit era games are easy to emulate, but Dreamcast/Xbox/PS2 not so much.

ZealousD

did Earthbound take a big hit? i hope it did, more people should have that one.

Nope. It's still in the $150 range.

The crazy thing about Earthbound is that it's honestly not that rare of a cart. It moves almost as many copies on eBay as Chrono Trigger.

IrishNinja

ehh yes and no? it's really hard to quantify that.
in that it's one of a few places i check to learn about gems i missed, deals etc that might be in some way feeding the bubble, sure. but the other end of that spectrum is not talking about classic games at all, which would suck.

there's all kinds've accusations of connections on these kinda thing but most people point at that one AVGN friend video a few posts back since a) it has huge viewer #'s and b) all those games shot up. i don't think ive seen any other examples that bordered a correlation nearly on that level.

Danny Dudekisser

Just a thought, but don't threads like these contribute to the problem of inflated prices?

I have absolutely no doubt that they do. Maybe not RetroGAF, in particular, but discussions here, discussions on Racketboy, discussions on digitpress, etc. It all pretty much has to contribute to the inflation. It's creating demand for forgotten or obscure games that otherwise wouldn't exist to the degree it does today.

Bar81

Just a thought, but don't threads like these contribute to the problem of inflated prices?

That's a weird way to think of it. That reminds of the guys who buy protos and then won't share. It's a community - people who get pleasure out of being "exclusive" are just sad. If I find a great game I want as many people to know about it (and play it) as possible.

SKINNER!

Banned

Surely some of the games that have been released digitally via Steam/Xbox Live Arcade/PSN store right? Someone once told me that Radiant Silvergun and Marvel Vs Capcom 2 has decreased in price as a result.

But in the space of 5 years I've noticed that not only are SNES Games increasing in price but are also getting difficult to find. Used to easily find boxed copies of Chrono Trigger on ebay UK back when the DS version came out and today there's hardly any apart from loose carts.

Surely some of the games that have been released digitally via Steam/Xbox Live Arcade/PSN store right? Someone once told me that Radiant Silvergun and Marvel Vs Capcom 2 has decreased in price as a result.
Silvergun has been $150+ for at least 10 years. Any value decrease would have come via inflation. The 360 port had little if any effect. Guardian Heroes is another 360 port that didn't really effect the value of the original. Which is strange, because the 360 version is unequivocally superior.

Danny Dudekisser

Silvergun has been $150+ for at least 10 years. Any value decrease would have come via inflation. The 360 port had little if any effect. Guardian Heroes is another 360 port that didn't really effect the value of the original. Which is strange, because the 360 version is unequivocally superior.

I think Guardian Heroes has actually gone up in price since the 360 port came out.

ZealousD

I think Saturns themselves are rare enough that most people who want Saturn games are collectors.

Zing

Banned
Indeed. It's a (tragic) running joke on Nintendo Age. Any thread complaining about current prices of a game only attracts attention and raises demand.

The best thing to do if you want a game that is currently expensive is to never mention it.

Mzo

Yo, I figured out why it's called "People Play Games" instead of "People Buy Games." It's because even garbage is so expensive there, that people are like "shit, I'll just play the games I have."

Yeah, their general prices are awful but I always find something to get when I make the trip out to Chicago.

Cheap SMS games, cheap PS/PS2/Xbox games, etc. Got a great Heart of the Alien there and a long box In the Hunt for under $30 each.

Their MO is to rip you off but games fall through the cracks.

Top Bottom