• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

noquarter

Alright, finally got a picture

WP_20140722_001.jpg

Boxes are a little beat, but all have the maps and manuals.

^Neat. Ogre Battle is definitely on my want list. I loved OB64 so darn much. Any reason to get the SNES original over the Playstation port?

Timu

It only gets better. If you've got a Genesis, I say check out Mega Turrican as well. Both games have great soundtracks and action to go along. I wanna check out Super Turrican 2 one day.
I need a new one as mine is broke, and Super Turrican 2 is awfully expensive and rare, talking hundreds for complete!

noquarter

Anybody have any reproductions in here? Not talking about bootlegged carts, but was thinking of picking up some of the Square stuff that was never released in the West, Secret of Mana 2, Radical Dreamers, etc. and was curious if they seemed worth it. Maybe looking for a suggestion on where to pick them up.

Also thinking about maybe painting my SNES. Figured I will pull the tabs out so I can play Super FamiCom games in it and, since it is already two-tone, give it a new paint job. Really don't know what I want to do though. I have another SNES CIB, so I don't mind making my active one 'mine/ but I do know that yellow looks disgusting on the bottom.

damn i want complete ogre battle bad i only have it loose and the sticker is a little faded
I honestly couldn't tell you if there were differences. I never completed the PS version, and this is the first time I will have played the SNES version. Mainly just couldn't pass it up since I've been wanting to get rid of some Magic cards for awhile, and someone was willing to trade that for a few cards that I will never use.

Timu

Between that, the Ocean stuff, and Donkey Kong Country series, some of the best SNES music came out of Europe.

http://youtu.be/Y4hqy02sxDI
Amazing stuff.

Anybody have any reproductions in here? Not talking about bootlegged carts, but was thinking of picking up some of the Square stuff that was never released in the West, Secret of Mana 2, Radical Dreamers, etc. and was curious if they seemed worth it. Maybe looking for a suggestion on where to pick them up.
My bro has a repro of Secret of Mana 2 and it's worth it!!!

Mzo

I'd say get a flash cart like the SD2SNES to play any fan translated games and buy the original Japanese game for cheap if you want something to put on your shelf.

5amshift

Banned
Where would a cheap place to go and find a SFC? I'm USA based, so I don't know if anybody in Japan could ship one over cheaper than what I see online.

I'd like to start a good collection on SFC JP only games.

Teknoman

Also thinking about maybe painting my SNES. Figured I will pull the tabs out so I can play Super FamiCom games in it and, since it is already two-tone, give it a new paint job. Really don't know what I want to do though. I have another SNES CIB, so I don't mind making my active one 'mine/ but I do know that yellow looks disgusting on the bottom.

I honestly couldn't tell you if there were differences. I never completed the PS version, and this is the first time I will have played the SNES version. Mainly just couldn't pass it up since I've been wanting to get rid of some Magic cards for awhile, and someone was willing to trade that for a few cards that I will never use.

Check Nintendoage.com for Reproduction threads, or just go to OCDreproductions. Another cool way to do it is to snag the SFC cart for cheap (cart only or complete, your choice) and then have a repro place to put the translation on that cart.

Original cart case and art, yet in a language you understand.

noquarter

I'd say get a flash cart like the SD2SNES to play any fan translated games and buy the original Japanese game for cheap if you want something to put on your shelf.
I was thinking about that, but the work people have been putting into repro's just looks to nice. Still might do that.
Check Nintendoage.com for Reproduction threads, or just go to OCDreproductions. Another cool way to do it is to snag the SFC cart for cheap (cart only or complete, your choice) and then have a repro place to put the translation on that cart.

This was the other thing I was thinking about. What got me looking at the repro SNES carts was the work put into Chrono Trigger Crimson Echoes. Have no idea if the game is good or not, but they have a custom box and manual made for it.

Then allow me to offer a suggestion:

You're welcome
to the next level
I'd be really tempted to do that. I'm a huge fan of the Genesis, was actually the first system I started actively collecting for. Got well over 100 CIB games, with most of the big titles. Got big on the CD as well, and was playing the 32X last night. Don't know if I want my Genny's to get pissed at my SNES.

OCDreproductions look good, other then not accepting paypal.

It only gets better. If you've got a Genesis, I say check out Mega Turrican as well. Both games have great soundtracks and action to go along. I wanna check out Super Turrican 2 one day.

EDIT: Damn it, now i've got it on loop.
Technically, both games have the same soundtrack, just slightly rearranged. (Case in point: compare the previously linked music to Stage 1-1 of Mega Turrican. Or Turrican 3 on the Amiga, if you prefer.)

Mega Turrican is more the "canonical" Turrican sequel, being a port of Turrican 3 on the Amiga (well, technically 3 is a port of Mega, but it came out first while Mega languished looking for a publisher), but Super is supposed to be good too. I believe Super Turrican 2 is crazy expensive, though, unless you opt for the Virtual Console version.

Then allow me to offer a suggestion:

genesnes.jpg

You're welcome
to the next level
Unless this somehow accepts carts for both consoles, I'm not sure I'm okay with this unholy fusion of awesome.

noquarter

Unless this somehow accepts carts for both consoles, I'm not sure I'm okay with this unholy fusion of awesome.
Has anyone tried one of the carts that is supposed to let you play your Genesis games on your SNES or vice versa? Really curious if they work. Don't really need one though.

Timu

Has anyone tried one of the carts that is supposed to let you play your Genesis games on your SNES or vice versa? Really curious if they work. Don't really need one though.
Funny enough my bro is going to try that soon, I read most games work with it.

It's just one of those consoles-on-a-chip, except instead of using its own housing and power supply, it piggy-backs off of the Super Nintendo's. Doesn't even use the SNES's video output, so you're forced to use a shitty composite connector. Also has visual glitches now and then, IIRC, notably with some Sonic games (not sure why they didn't look into that, cause, I mean, that's kind of one of the games people are going to want to play with it the most).

It's more intended for use with the SupaBoy, I think?

It's just one of those consoles-on-a-chip, except instead of using its own housing and power supply, it piggy-backs off of the Super Nintendo's. Doesn't even use the SNES's video output, so you're forced to use a shitty composite connector. Also has visual glitches now and then, IIRC, notably with some Sonic games (not sure why they didn't look into that, cause, I mean, that's kind of one of the games people are going to want to play with it the most).

It's more intended for use with the SupaBoy, I think?
If it was intended for use with supaboy, why does it output video externally?

Teknoman

Technically, both games have the same soundtrack, just slightly rearranged. (Case in point: compare the previously linked music to Stage 1-1 of Mega Turrican. Or Turrican 3 on the Amiga, if you prefer.)

Mega Turrican is more the "canonical" Turrican sequel, being a port of Turrican 3 on the Amiga (well, technically 3 is a port of Mega, but it came out first while Mega languished looking for a publisher), but Super is supposed to be good too. I believe Super Turrican 2 is crazy expensive, though, unless you opt for the Virtual Console version.

Is the music from stage 2-1 in Mega also in Super?

OCDreproductions look good, other then not accepting paypal.

Yeah they are, but honestly I only used them for the Mother 3 repro and translating my SFC carts. They use Google Wallet, so that works fine. Just email them and ask.

Teknoman

Yeah I asked him if he had some more shots, some of the front and back, and he said he thought he uploaded em. So I guess this might just be a legit stock image mistake.

IrishNinja

opening carts is the best way to verify, but Earthbound i can proudly say i bought week 1 at full price (worth every penny!), i do so wish i could have someone reproduce the big box like my Mother 3 one though, i miss that thing

Celine

It's a good game by itself, music is the ice on the cake.
Mega Turrican is also very worth to play (I would say I prefer the Mega Drive version actually).
Super Turrican 2 is more action oriented but also worthy if you like that type of games.

Between that, the Ocean stuff, and Donkey Kong Country series, some of the best SNES music came out of Europe.

http://youtu.be/Y4hqy02sxDI
Some of the best Amiga composers resided in Europe and went to work on SNES.

Cases in point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7WK3d9ynpE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICOotKB_MUc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWZXNbq7S94

Hey guys, thanks for all the help you give in here and such. Hope you don't mind, went through the first 15 pgs (superior 100 post count) and made a little FAQ. If OP doesn't mind, you be nice to have in there, as going through this thread is a task. If this isn't alright, please let me know, and I'll remove it. All links I checked worked and thanks to the posters who are quoted, along with everyone else.

I added a link to your post in the OP. Rather than posting the whole thing, I thought it best to do it that way since it was pretty lengthy.

Sorry, its been awhile since I've checked this thread but, you know, life happens.

-KRS-

Is Firepower 2000 actually pretty good?

Bought it a while ago and I really like it. It's pretty hard though. Well it's a shooter so of course it is. It gets easier as you learn the levels. And the intro music is fantastic, but most of the rest of the soundtrack sounds a bit uninspired in my opinion. But it's still a good game and great in co-op.

HaL64

Bought it a while ago and I really like it. It's pretty hard though. Well it's a shooter so of course it is. It gets easier as you learn the levels. And the intro music is fantastic, but most of the rest of the soundtrack sounds a bit uninspired in my opinion. But it's still a good game and great in co-op.

It's pretty good. I'd like to try the coop though. It's actually Silk Worm IV from Amiga, or at least based on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULzHgRWdlf4

While I like challenging shooters I did find this one inconsistent. Even when I memorized the first level, I'd die due to not being able to get used to the controls.

Ban Puncher

Got a copy of Gourmet Sentai Bara Yarou today.

They must of spent all the development budget on the graphics because it looks fantastic but sounds like absolute garbage. I still love it's weirdness.

Ban Puncher

Yeah, lots of posing and combing food at the end of levels for stat boosts.

I love the two pixels high enemies you need to boot once. It's dumb in a way I can totally get behind.

Velinos

Big pickup this week. I remember reading about Ogre Battle in Nintendo Power and was eager to try out the strategies, but my local rental store never got a copy. Now 20 years later I can finally try them out. I just need to find that issue of NP.

22MbloPl.jpg

Nice. Ogre Battle only had a print run of about 25,000 copies. Compared to most of the other pricey SNES games, this one's actually kinda scarce.

Ban Puncher

About a decade ago I happened across a guy who had a box filled with complete NTSC SNES games, selling them at very reasonable prices. I picked out a few that I was interested in but for some reason passed on a mint condition Ogre Battle.

I still kick myself over it.

cantona222

My friend looked into his collection and found these 2 PAL famicom games that are complete and in mint condition. Hagane and Super Castlevania 4. I just want to know how much are they worth now? He bought these games in 2009 for about $10 each.

fpAGIRW.jpg

ebHwtRa.jpg

dIKD1Ua.jpg

vZWt7yy.jpg

Top Bottom