• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

I recently obtained a SD2SNES, so my region problems are forever over. As well as chasing carts on the collector market.

Best yet, I received it for free from stoneagegamer.com for converting a bunch of covers for use with bitboxes.

holy shit, that hooked you up man! congrats, must be some good people over there

Yeah, it was great! SAG gave me $1.50 store credit per cover converted, I did 187 and ended up with $280 in store credit, so I picked out a deluxe SD2SNES, and got it at no cost to me.

It's my first flash cart, I love it, it's like black magic. And the Stone Age Gamer edition is very very nice, very professionally done.

Het_Nkik

Speaking of flashcarts, are there any that actually do Super FX chips games? I really want to play Star Fox 2 but I kind of really dislike emulators.

Guys, this is going to sound crazy, but anyone here visited the Roanoke, VA area for SNES shopping?

I'll be in that area around 4 weeks from now and wanted to see if there were good places to stop. There's supposed to be two good stores, but it be nice to have a day's agenda planned out while I look for carts.

Cheers.

Sometimes I tun on my SNES and all I get is a blank screen. Sometimes my save files get erased too. Ive tried this with Super Metroid and SMW.

Teknoman

Guys, this is going to sound crazy, but anyone here visited the Roanoke, VA area for SNES shopping?

I'll be in that area around 4 weeks from now and wanted to see if there were good places to stop. There's supposed to be two good stores, but it be nice to have a day's agenda planned out while I look for carts.

Cheers.

Im not familiar with the area, but I say hit any and all thrift stores that carry electronics.

BTails

So true to my word in the Genesis thread, I sat down and played some Battletoads in Battlemaniacs this evening...

...Yeah, I'm going to need to brush up on my skills. The speeder-bike stage destroyed me and all my lives/continues. Had a lot of fun though, and I can't wait to jump back in this weekend when I have more time.

Also, the soundtrack is pretty great

IrishNinja

right? like i need to mess with b-toads & double dragon one day but i'm pretty sure battlemaniacs is the console highlight of the series

BTails

right? like i need to mess with b-toads & double dragon one day but i'm pretty sure battlemaniacs is the console highlight of the series

I'm still partial to the original, blazing-hard NES game, but Battlemaniacs is pretty solid.

Man, I'd love a new Battletoads game, but I honestly don't think it could ever come close to matching the fun of the originals.

RexRogers

Neo Member
Almost sealed what would have been an awesome deal from craigslist. They guy was asking $40 for 29 SNES games and I jumped at it. In the end I got the run around and never was able to meet up to seal the deal. He probably looked online and saw what he could be getting. Still, it was a burn.

Almost sealed what would have been an awesome deal from craigslist. They guy was asking $40 for 29 SNES games and I jumped at it. In the end I got the run around and never was able to meet up to seal the deal. He probably looked online and saw what he could be getting. Still, it was a burn.

Were you going to flip them?

brainpann

So , i almost hate to admit this, but last night I had a dream that i found around 50 or so SNES and NES games being left for whoever wanted them out in front of a store. My conundrum was that i was on my scooter and didnt have a bag on me that would hold everything. When i finally found a bag, i started grabbing the NES games which ended up being most chinese hacks. My alarm went off right before i started into the snes games.

I was pretty annoyed when i woke up only to discover it hadnt actually happened.

alf717

Sometimes I tun on my SNES and all I get is a blank screen. Sometimes my save files get erased too. Ive tried this with Super Metroid and SMW.

Either you need to clean your carts or the cart slot is dirty, Maybe both. If you don't have the tools to open the SNES cart (3.5 MM gamebit) then use a q-tip and alcohol to clean the PCB pins inside the cart. Cart slot cleaning is usually just dust build up. There are a few methods like canned air or using a safety pin to fish out dust. Just be careful not to pull out the pins. If it is really dirty try fine grit wet/dry sand paper wrap it around a credit card or business card and gently insert and remove it like a cart.

So , i almost hate to admit this, but last night I had a dream that i found around 50 or so SNES and NES games being left for whoever wanted them out in front of a store. My conundrum was that i was on my scooter and didnt have a bag on me that would hold everything. When i finally found a bag, i started grabbing the NES games which ended up being most chinese hacks. My alarm went off right before i started into the snes games.

I was pretty annoyed when i woke up only to discover it hadnt actually happened.

YOU'RE NOT THE LORD OF THE GAMES!

RexRogers

Neo Member
Were you going to flip them?

I have a decent collection, but with 29 games you know there will be some good ones in there to fill in some gaps. Yeah, I would have flipped the rest to subsidize the deal and would have ended up ahead. It would have then piled back into collecting. And so the circle goes.

I've had game hunting dreams like this. I find the coolest shit in my dreams :(

Peagles

Don't worry I have at least one of these dreams per week, lol.

HF2014

This is pretty shitty. Of course, I wonder how many people will actually care? I'm always surprised by how much even obvious repros sell for on eBay.

And this.

This is simply amazing, seeing people pay for games that didnt exist. But im wondering, if selling cd copy of game is illegal, whats the difference here? Its a copy of a game, and even worst, it was not legally released . Wondering if nintendo is doing something against this.

Het_Nkik

I've had game hunting dreams like this. I find the coolest shit in my dreams :(

Yep. I usually have these dreams where I'll find either a game section in a regular store or a retro section in a game store, and they'll just have all these old retro games for me to dig through, and I'll usually find at least a few awesome games CIB, and then I'll grab them and start taking them to the counter and then...

I'll wake up :(

Even in the dreams that I have the games I see are all overpriced and in bad condition. I don't really know what that says about me.

Either you need to clean your carts or the cart slot is dirty, Maybe both. If you don't have the tools to open the SNES cart (3.5 MM gamebit) then use a q-tip and alcohol to clean the PCB pins inside the cart. Cart slot cleaning is usually just dust build up. There are a few methods like canned air or using a safety pin to fish out dust. Just be careful not to pull out the pins. If it is really dirty try fine grit wet/dry sand paper wrap it around a credit card or business card and gently insert and remove it like a cart.

Thanks I will definitely try this soon.

I'd love to hear your impressions on the Fighting Commander once you have your hands on it.

A TALE OF TWO CONTROLLERS

So, my Hori Fighting Commander was scheduled to arrive yesterday. I stopped at a Gamestore and picked up an ASCII pad, four button, turbo. A little wear, but in good shape with a nice crisp d-pad and buttons.

I got home, and checked my mail box. My Hori Commander was waiting there, very nicely packaged by the eBay seller I might add.

I took a picture to capture the moment. Look at them, they're so happy together!
SNES.jpg

First, I tried the ASCII pad. I fired up Mario All Stars, and it was beautiful. Amazing d-pad-- I was speedrunning Mario without losing a beat. The spacing of Y and B, one of the most deliberate and well thought out designs in game controller history, perfectly represented here. My thumb-tip holds down Y to make Mario move like Sonic, while the ball of my thumb causes him jump exactly when I want. Perfection. Even better, the pad itself is slightly longer than the stock pad, and chunkier at the top. It fits my hands perfectly. Best of all, I got it for 6.00 and got to support my local game shop.

Onto the Fighting Commander. I swap out the controller mid-Mario and try it out. Yes, this thing is designed for fighting games, but nonetheless I'm Marioing and don't want to stop. The d-pad feels great, but the alignment of Y and B is off. It is off, and in the heat of the moment, I feel it is fucked I find it near impossible to jump while I'm running-- what tha fuck?!. I calm down a little and realize an adjustment is needed, and I can run and jump. I'm just not used to this angle of the buttons. But it is definitely not as intuitive or as comfortable as the classic design. Obviously, the shoulder buttons are moved onto the front, meaning some of the good uses of shoulder buttons, such as doing a barrel roll! while firing simply isn't possible anymore. The controller is also longer, almost too long for my tastes and doesn't fit as nice as the ASCII pad in my hands.

This is a shitty review since I didn't test it out on a fighter. I'll admit I'm not a big fighting fan. Why the hell did I buy a six button controller, then? I have no idea because I fucking love the ASCII pad, and it was $25 less, too.

Well that's it

So I'm trying to get my hands on a NA SNES console. What's the best way to go about this? I don't mind if it's used(hoping to avoid a yellow console), and I'm looking for it to be cheap. Anyone know of a good site that sells them cheap?

dodgeme

So I'm trying to get my hands on a NA SNES console. What's the best way to go about this? I don't mind if it's used(hoping to avoid a yellow console), and I'm looking for it to be cheap. Anyone know of a good site that sells them cheap?

I could sell you one, I have 3 lying around with cables and power adapters and controllers.

-TK-

This is pretty shitty. Of course, I wonder how many people will actually care? I'm always surprised by how much even obvious repros sell for on eBay.

And this.

I don't see any problems with that. I'm gonna buy Star Ocean and Final Fantasy V repros too, because there are no english versions. I will buy some never released hacks too. Just bought a Super Metroid Redesign CIB repro and playing it on real snes is super awesome. Also quality of the box and manual is superb.

But I really hate when people are trying to sell games as original if they are not.

doyoueven

Neo Member
Sorry if this is not the right place to ask this- how can I hook up a super famicom to my TV in Japan?? Also I'm pretty sure I saw an emulator like console in a department store playing super famicom games. Does anyone know what this might be?

A TALE OF TWO CONTROLLERS

So, my Hori Fighting Commander was scheduled to arrive yesterday. I stopped at a Gamestore and picked up an ASCII pad, four button, turbo. A little wear, but in good shape with a nice crisp d-pad and buttons.

I got home, and checked my mail box. My Hori Commander was waiting there, very nicely packaged by the eBay seller I might add.

I took a picture to capture the moment. Look at them, they're so happy together!
SNES.jpg

First, I tried the ASCII pad. I fired up Mario All Stars, and it was beautiful. Amazing d-pad-- I was speedrunning Mario without losing a beat. The spacing of Y and B, one of the most deliberate and well thought out designs in game controller history, perfectly represented here. My thumb-tip holds down Y to make Mario move like Sonic, while the ball of my thumb causes him jump exactly when I want. Perfection. Even better, the pad itself is slightly longer than the stock pad, and chunkier at the top. It fits my hands perfectly. Best of all, I got it for 6.00 and got to support my local game shop.

Onto the Fighting Commander. I swap out the controller mid-Mario and try it out. Yes, this thing is designed for fighting games, but nonetheless I'm Marioing and don't want to stop. The d-pad feels great, but the alignment of Y and B is off. It is off, and in the heat of the moment, I feel it is fucked I find it near impossible to jump while I'm running-- what tha fuck?!. I calm down a little and realize an adjustment is needed, and I can run and jump. I'm just not used to this angle of the buttons. But it is definitely not as intuitive or as comfortable as the classic design. Obviously, the shoulder buttons are moved onto the front, meaning some of the good uses of shoulder buttons, such as doing a barrel roll! while firing simply isn't possible anymore. The controller is also longer, almost too long for my tastes and doesn't fit as nice as the ASCII pad in my hands.

This is a shitty review since I didn't test it out on a fighter. I'll admit I'm not a big fighting fan. Why the hell did I buy a six button controller, then? I have no idea because I fucking love the ASCII pad, and it was $25 less, too.

Well that's it

Good stuff. Glad you like the ASCII pad at least. It' still my go-to after all these years.

GloriousNL

Neo Member
Hi gais, I'm kinda out of the loop, which device will let me play Star Ocean translated on my SNES? I have a 1st gen super everdrive but that's a no-go.

alf717

Hi gais, I'm kinda out of the loop, which device will let me play Star Ocean translated on my SNES? I have a 1st gen super everdrive but that's a no-go.

SD2SNES should work. I don't own one but I did a little research on one and it says it is possible.

Het_Nkik

What about a first gen Super Everdrive doesn't allow the game to work?

As far as I know, Neviksti's patch should allow the game to run on most flash carts.

I'm reading the game with the above patch should run on my SNES PowerPak from Retro USB but I haven't tried it since I don't own the game.

Teknoman

Anyone else played Xandra no Daibōken: Valkyrie to no Deai aka Xandra's Great Adventure: Encounter with the Valkyrie?

I was trying to find more info on the Valkyrie game on PC engine from seeing the character / hearing the music in Project X Zone, and that lead me to this. Its pretty fun, kinda challenging with one hit deaths but a good deal of attack mechanics, and a really good soundtrack.

http://youtu.be/R_6vHUW3HcI

220px-Xandra_no_Daib%C5%8Dken_boxart.png

I think you play as a Kappa in Marvel Land, trying to save your village from some evil volcano deity? I havent seen Valkyrie yet, but i dunno if I want to dive too deep yet. Definitely something i've missed out on.

dodgeme

Heres one for you guys.

Anybody have any idea what that cable might be for. Was cleaning up a bit and found it in my junk cable area. From what I can tell it has a power supply in, controller in and out, and an av jack on it but I can't for the life of me figure what it was used for.

Het_Nkik

Anyone else played Xandra no Daibōken: Valkyrie to no Deai aka Xandra's Great Adventure: Encounter with the Valkyrie?

I was trying to find more info on the Valkyrie game on PC engine from seeing the character / hearing the music in Project X Zone, and that lead me to this. Its pretty fun, kinda challenging with one hit deaths but a good deal of attack mechanics, and a really good soundtrack.

http://youtu.be/R_6vHUW3HcI

220px-Xandra_no_Daib%C5%8Dken_boxart.png

I think you play as a Kappa in Marvel Land, trying to save your village from some evil volcano deity? I havent seen Valkyrie yet, but i dunno if I want to dive too deep yet. Definitely something i've missed out on.
Haven't heard of this game, but Sandra/Xandra was one of my favorite characters in Namco x Capcom. This game looks fun. I might have to buy a copy.

Teknoman

Is he a kappa or just some made up thing? Also i'm not sure why i'm fighting cavemen lol.

I need to start recording some of these imports that I think people have missed out on... The Great Battle series is another.

Top Bottom