• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

iDoauD0rqisI2.PNG
i39XSKtwFdHDx.PNG
ib0Fq5mc9THNoU.PNG
iloQvC9IiQeKN.PNG

Just recently acquired the Japanese version of TMNT Tournament Fighters, and I wasn't expecting this when I got it...

I got it because it was cheaper, but what a change in assets!
In addition to the greater aesthetics, there are also a few balance tweaks between the US and Japanese versions. The game is still incredibly busted, but that doesn't stop it from being my second favorite fighting game on the system.

Also, it kind of blew my mind when I realized this song was a rearrangement of this one from the beat 'em ups.

Azzurri

What's the going rate for a RGB modded SNES?

I have a Snes Mini, but I need a RGB one so I can play it on my framemeister.

IrishNinja

especially RGB

they're one of the few nintendo (US) systems that does RGB right out of the box, except for jr & major revisions

*edit oh you have a mini, disregard my snarkiness cause i don't know bout those

Picked this up last weekend for $12:

Finally sat down to clean it today. I should have taken a "before" picture. It was absolutely covered in stickers and sticker residue, including a giant sticker going across the entire bottom of the label and another small one on the right of the label. I usually won't mess with having to clean a cart that much, but it's the first time I've seen this one in person and couldn't pass up that price. Was worth the effort for sure. Pretty happy with how well I brought it back.

Picked this up last weekend for $12:

Finally sat down to clean it today. I should have taken a "before" picture. It was absolutely covered in stickers and sticker residue, including a giant sticker going across the entire bottom of the label and another small one on the right of the label. I usually won't mess with having to clean a cart that much, but it's the first time I've seen this one in person and couldn't pass up that price. Was worth the effort for sure. Pretty happy with how well I brought it back.

Always fun reclaiming a game from its past, eh? I have a few before and after pictures too if anyone wants to see them.

Azzurri

New stuff. I've had Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana for years.

Forum member here is goning to RGB mod my Mini so I can play em on the framemeister. I really want to play P&R and Demons Crest

BTails

So, I just picked up Indiana Jones Greatest Adventures, and have an eBay copy of Super RotJ arriving in a couple days. This means I'm only missing Super Star Wars to complete the set (I've had Empire since I was young).

Who here also absolutely loves the LucasArts/JVC SNES games? Difficult but not insane, great bosses, great Mode 7 levels, tons of variety, and still relatively cheap to collect.

My favourite is still Super Empire: I remember the first time I beat the Slave-1 boss, I was so excited - that was a super fun/frustrating boss fight.

Mzo

I really like them. I beat SSW and SESB on Jedi but never put that same amount of care into playing SRotJ or the Indy Trilogy game.

Always fun reclaiming a game from its past, eh? I have a few before and after pictures too if anyone wants to see them.

It really is fun to bring something back from the brink. The cart itself is easy, but I'm always afraid to deal with stickers on labels. For $12 though, I couldn't pass it up. I really wish I had taken a before picture. Had I known I'd do such a good job reviving it, I would have.

I've never played any Shadowrun (other than the 360 shooter for like five minutes).

RyType

Hope this isn't breaking the rules but can anyone recommend a good place to mod a PAL snes? Make it region free and since I'm in PAL land, make it 60hz enabled? or is it better to find a super famicom console instead?

I've been fortunate enough to have quite a few different region games due to some of my friends being from different places-I have the american versions of Megaman X1 & 2, a PAL copy of Secret of Mana and Japanese copies of Yoshis Island & Starfox for example. I've been getting back into SNES collecting now that I've got a nice little setup in my study…

Yasawas

Is Solaris my only option to get a FrameMeister in Europe? I can just about stomach the cost but then tax and duty and ugghh.

Hope this isn't breaking the rules but can anyone recommend a good place to mod a PAL snes? Make it region free and since I'm in PAL land, make it 60hz enabled? or is it better to find a super famicom console instead?

I debated this for a while myself and eventually bought a Super Famicom but in retrospect I think the best option for Europeans is to buy a US machine. Takes 30 seconds to allow it to accept Japanese carts, pads have longer cables than the Super Fami and it'll play every NTSC game which even a modded PAL console won't as I understand it. Just put it out of sight somewhere. I say this assuming you can still use a converter to play the classic Euro-only releases like Cannon Fodder buy I've never tried myself.

Today's post brought me this but still no X3 :( I loved Stunt Race FX but imagine it's aged awfully and I've never played Ardy Lightfoot. It looks like it might be fun and I've never seen another so I snapped both up for cheap:

y5lH6hQ.jpg

I really like them. I beat SSW and SESB on Jedi but never put that same amount of care into playing SRotJ or the Indy Trilogy game.

Back in the day I played through all three of these on a Friday night with my friends. Only time I did a marathon like that. Might do it again with my son on a rainy day.

Yasawas

The music is rad. I had a very enjoyable half hour on it last night once my eyes had accustomed to the framerate, it's a fun wee game.

I got a security bit yesterday too as I plan to replace all my batteries over the weekend. It looks fiddlier than I thought now I've opened a few up though. I'm thinking the easiest way is to solder small wires from + and - sides of the new battery to the slots where the legs were and then hold it in place with tape, is this feasible or so ghetto I should be ashamed of myself?

Celine

Today's post brought me this but still no X3 :( I loved Stunt Race FX but imagine it's aged awfully and I've never played Ardy Lightfoot. It looks like it might be fun and I've never seen another so I snapped both up for cheap:

Stunt Race FX is a great arcade racing game ruined by the low framerate and input lag.
Ardy Lightfoot is a fun platformer, nothing special.
The decision to focus more on the story was a nice touch.

Mercutio

The music is rad. I had a very enjoyable half hour on it last night once my eyes had accustomed to the framerate, it's a fun wee game.

I got a security bit yesterday too as I plan to replace all my batteries over the weekend. It looks fiddlier than I thought now I've opened a few up though. I'm thinking the easiest way is to solder small wires from + and - sides of the new battery to the slots where the legs were and then hold it in place with tape, is this feasible or so ghetto I should be ashamed of myself?

Don't solder directly to a battery unless you really understand your soldering iron. You risk injury, those things can severely hurt you when they burst from heat.

Yasawas

Don't solder directly to a battery unless you really understand your soldering iron. You risk injury, those things can severely hurt you when they burst from heat.

Yeah, I was reading up on it earlier and it rammed home to me how poor of an idea that was. Holding a soldering iron to 20 year old batteries made by the cheapest bidders in China, good idea Steve. I bought some battery clips but if they don't work then I'm going to securely tape short lengths of wire to the battery then solder that in and to be honest unless it's a game that really needs to be saved I probably won't bother.

my super famicom came today. i'm really pleased with it. it's in the original box with manual that has matching s/n with the system. there's really no yellowing to the console at all. it's in fantastic shape as are the two included controllers. the a/v and power cable are both original nintendo models as well. i've wanted one of these for a long time and this is just awesome.

so i'm wondering if you guys can recommend which games i should pick up the super famicom versions of to save money. i like just about every genre and grew up with a super nintendo, so i'm familiar with all of the games. just want to know which ones are english friendly and cheaper than their snes counterparts.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
are the SNES bitboxes out yet? if so do any of you have them? cn you provide examples of how they look?

I'm looking to get some, but waiting for them to finish up converting their vertical covers. I have the NES ones, those are pretty ace. Supposedly the SNES ones are even better because they have a stronger spine.

AwShucks

I got myself a Retron 5 and purchased a number of NES titles (my favorite system ever). Went to get a few SNES titles, common ones like Super Mario World and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts and was surprised at the price compared to NES titles. Most of my NES titles were $6-10 but most SNES titles I wanted were in the $25 range.

I'll probably still pick up a few, but I'll be more picky about it.

illadelph

I hate that the current price range of snes games discourages me on picking up a game that just looks interesting but that I've never played before

Azzurri

I hate that the current price range of snes games discourages me on picking up a game that just looks interesting but that I've never played before

It's like that for almost every system now, SNES and TurboGrafx16 games are expensive even the easier to find ones.

Panzer Dragoon Saga
Burning Rangers
Dragon Force
Shining Force III
Radiant Silvergun
Hyper Duel

That's over 1k in total right there!!!

You forgot the most expensive ones, like Taromaru

Saturn has hella white whales but let's be real, Neo Geo is waaay more expensive to collect for.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
So far I think Sega Saturn has taken the cake. So many pricey rare games on that system.
And prices seem to be going super high on stuff that was only moderately expensive before (Elevator Action Returns & Batsugun are over $100 on eBay now, uggggh). I'm glad that I have most of the really expensive SNES carts I want.

And I guess for this to kinda stay on topic, I got this in the mail over the weekend (along with cart only SFC Axelay & FC Quinty):

One of the few things I wanted to get complete, since I wanted that d-pad overlay. I should probably hurry up and get Super Smash TV now.

Azzurri

I'm kinda wanna buy most of my collection stuf now before in 5 years it's even higher. I don't see it really falling since it's not like they make this stuff anymore. As the years go one will probably lose more of this stuff from people losing it or it breaking.

Silvergun is $15 on Xbox Live
I have that version, of course, but they changed a few things with Original/Saturn Mode that I'm not a huge fan of... See, in the Saturn version, you'd get extra continues for Saturn Mode (which is normally limited to only a few continues) the longer you played Arcade Mode (which lets you insert as many continues as you damn well please), until eventually you unlocked Free Play. However, the XBLA port instead gives you no continues but extra lives instead, up to 99 (Free Play in Original Mode is not possible). Seeing as Saturn/Original Mode is a fair bit tougher, with the extra bosses and forcing you down both paths from Stage 3 (which, as the number indicates, is the first stage), it kinda sucks. At least it still saves the level your weapons were at.

Top Bottom