• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Yasawas

Aleste! There's a name I've not heard in years. That's another along with Axelay and UN Squadron/Area 88 that I remember being big at the time but I've no idea how they hold up now.

R-Type III is crazy expensive. How is Super R-Type?

Teknoman

From the NES thread:

Some of you may be interested in this, can't make new threads but I guess people in are more likely to like this.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/superfamicomguy/super-famicom-the-box-art-collection

Aleste! There's a name I've not heard in years. That's another along with Axelay and UN Squadron/Area 88 that I remember being big at the time but I've no idea how they hold up now.

R-Type III is crazy expensive. How is Super R-Type?

All of them hold up. Just get the SFC version of R-Type 3. Super R-type is cool imo since its R-Type 2 but with a cool SNES soundtrack. Expect slowdown I suppose.

Azzurri

From the NES thread:

All of them hold up. Just get the SFC version of R-Type 3. Super R-type is cool imo since its R-Type 2 but with a cool SNES soundtrack. Expect slowdown I suppose.

That's really awesome, might have to throw down the $40.

Would love to see a US version too

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Super Aleste is probably my favorite shmup on the SNES, but I just generally prefer that style of shooter over more methodical ones like R-Type or Gradius.

Peagles

This would have been really cool. Was there some kind of copyright issue with the covers or something?

Yeh that seems to be the case...

Hey folks.
Firstly, I’d like to say a huge heartfelt thank you to everyone who has supported this Kickstarter project. I’ve had a whirlwind of a weekend with my inbox literally breaking with messages of support from fans of the Super Famicom and who share a love for the games.

Thanks to the journalists who got in touch, the websites that celebrated the book and its games, the broadcasters, even the indie film makers! And all the cool kids who still love to rock their SFCs! It’s amazing to speak to lots of retro gamers who love these games as much as I do – after all, that’s why I started this project. I LOVE collecting and playing them and always have - since the early 90s. It’s a labour of love for me and seeing the book coming together is just amazing. It’s such a cool little book, and looking at what has taken me the best part of two years to conceptualise, photograph and design is very exciting. It was to be a gamers visual guide and a memento for a console that’s long gone, with a hand-picked selection of some of the best and the rarest games that not many gamers would have seen before. The forewords and contributions are especially fantastic, particularly Masaaki Enami’s story of playing them as a kid in Tokyo. His store of Nintendo clothing is testament to how much he loves the Super Famicom and how much it meant to him playing them.

I started this project after speaking with friends with colleagues in Japan, who work within the games industry and by looking at copyright here in the UK with regard to derivative and non-derivate copyright photography and how it differentiates in each country. Japan has two types of copyright, author’s and neighbouring and each is different. They also have a software copyright law that (on the gaming side) is focused more on the ill-use of screenshots and captured footage of games – particularly footage used on commercially based platforms, such as monetised YouTube channels and websites.

After speaking with the guys I know in Japan as, well as contacting Nintendo Europe, I’m still no further in the minefield of international copyright. I thought I had enough clarity with copyright, especially when I had people supporting my own research, So it’s with great sadness that I have to announce that I’ll be closing the Kickstarter pledge. I’ll be completing the book as planned and I will spend the next few months finding the VG publishers who are left to seek permission. I’ve had offers from some publishers who have taken a keen interest in the book outside of Kickstarter and hopefully my book will reach you that way.

I wanted to try and give an example of how copyright works with older video game packaging, it’s not as clear-cut as you might think and the unfortunately the internet doesn’t provide all the answers to a layman. The artists behind these games were part of little development teams but the publishers were the names responsible for copyright. One of my all-time favourite Japanese games, Gourmet Sentai Bara Yarou was published by Virgin Interactive – a British-based video game publisher. They were also the publishers behind the legendary Japanese SFC title Rendering Ranger R2, by Turrican’s Manfred Trenz. The publisher switched hands a couple of times and eventually was put into liquidation in Spain with its last owner, resulting with its assets and IP absorbed by creditors. In other words, no one owns it any more. They are essentially lost forever. My attempt with the book was to try and at least archive them, just like comic collectors, baseball card fans or collectors of guitars do, before they do vanish into thumbnails on a Google image search. One book that was influential on this project, ‘Bass culture: a guitar collection by John Entwistle’ contains a huge collection of crazy and weird guitars from the bass player of The Who. His book omits credits on some guitars and didn’t have copyright clearance on every page as they weren’t able to track down every copyright owner, due to their obscurity. It’s the same case with some of these games, unfortunately.

I could let this project run to its deadline and it most likely would have met its goal. The books would have been printed and each of them would have been posted out to all of you, but not every game (especially the rarest titles) within the book would have been had copyright clearance, certainly not in the time I would have within 3 weeks. I wanted to have the book on the press straight after our deadline was met. I wasn’t in this for the money, the quantity cap and profit-margin are proof of that. I was doing it for the gamers and the collectors out there, just like me.

But from my bottom of my pixelated heart, I wanted to thank you to all of you for backing something that could have been amazing and for believing in a book like this should exist for gamers. That's all I wanted. Thanks to the contributors: Digitalism, Van Orton, Jeremy Klein, James Wragg and Enami-San, the collectors, the gamers, the fan boys and the 8-bit old timers. We were doing it for the love of the games. I hope this book does see the light of day - You guys deserve it x

さようなら

Stu

Peagles

Damn that's weak! I was gonna plop down the 40.

Are the SNES Mini already RGB ready?, I'd like to run one through the framemeister.

I pledged for 2 I was so excited. Oh well :(

No they aren't, they need a mod to do RGB, but once modded they are considered the best!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm back in my hometown for a few weeks, and going through the stuff I had in storage has made me very wistful about retro collecting, so I've been watching lots of YouTube videos.

I found this amazing NES video which has 1.1 seconds of gameplay from every NES game, alphabetically:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z995KPfokSU

I'm trying to find an equivalent for the SNES. Unfortunately most of the videos I find aren't half as nice looking and don't spend enough time on each game. This one, for example, is repulsive. I really want to be able to just set the video to play and have warm feelings kick in every 20 seconds. You guys know of any good every SNES game video collections?

Rydeen

I'm trying to find an equivalent for the SNES. Unfortunately most of the videos I find aren't half as nice looking and don't spend enough time on each game. This one, for example, is repulsive. I really want to be able to just set the video to play and have warm feelings kick in every 20 seconds. You guys know of any good every SNES game video collections?
This is exactly what you want: Every Super Famicom game in chronological order, based on their Japanese release date. Originally these were posted on Niconico, and there is a Famicom companion series to this as well:

http://youtu.be/U7fdHAvHR6M?list=PL3ECDB18BCA9FA86A

I used this series to find a lot of great, under-the-radar Super Famicom releases that I hadn't heard of or didn't get released in the U.S. Great resource.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Things I learned today: There was a Gundam or Ultraman or something themed dodge ball game on SFC.

Things I learned today: Smart Ball is called "Jerry Boy" (Jelly Boy?) in Japanese.

I remember this video set from a long time ago and it'll be great to quench my thirst. I hadn't even considered checking out SFC stuff, so I'm sure I'll get some pleasant surprises going through all this. Is there a list of the games by number? I've been logging numbers of interesting stuff to follow up on later.

Rydeen

Is there a list of the games by number? I've been logging numbers of interesting stuff to follow up on later.

Unfortunately not as far as I could find. I had to do a little extra research to find some names, like translate part of the title with "super famicom" in a Google search to get the full title in English or Romanized Japanese. Makes the act of the hunt for titles kind of fun!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Unfortunately not as far as I could find. I had to do a little extra research to find some names, like translate part of the title with "super famicom" in a Google search to get the full title in English or Romanized Japanese. Makes the act of the hunt for titles kind of fun!

Ah, the good old days, when we actually needed to make an effort to look stuff up. Hahaha. Thanks for the link.

Things I learned today: There was a Gundam or Ultraman or something themed dodge ball game on SFC.

Things I learned today: Smart Ball is called "Jerry Boy" (Jelly Boy?) in Japanese.

I remember this video set from a long time ago and it'll be great to quench my thirst. I hadn't even considered checking out SFC stuff, so I'm sure I'll get some pleasant surprises going through all this. Is there a list of the games by number? I've been logging numbers of interesting stuff to follow up on later.

There's also European-only platformer called Jelly Boy, and it's completely unrelated to Smart Ball / Jerry Boy.

Also, Gamefreak made a Jerry Boy 2 but it never made it to market in any territory.

linkboy

I'd keep that one as is, buy a junk game and swap the cases to get a new shell to put a new label on.

I've got a copy of Super Off Road Baja Edition that I never play, so I think I'm just going to swap those cases (and I bought one of the reproduction stickers).

Thanks for the help.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
havnt bought anything in a little while but a new retro shop opened up a couple of blocks over and i stopped in there and bought a few things and i finally picked up magical quest
magicalquest_zps6df3a330.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
havnt bought anything in a little while but a new retro shop opened up a couple of blocks over and i stopped in there and bought a few things and i finally picked up magical quest
magicalquest_zps6df3a330.jpg

Excellent game. Tougher than you might expect, but very enjoyable. I got a boxed copy a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed my replay. You might also consider hunting for the sequel, which was released here as "The Great Circus Mystery"; there's a third in the series that's SFC/Japan-only as well.

Teknoman

Too bad (to the best of my knowledge) the first game has the best soundtrack. Imo it felt like a Ghouls and Goblins kids ver. (in a good way).

This may sound lame, but every Christmas i buy myself a SNES game that ive always wanted or never played. Last year i got Turtles IV, then DKC, and Contra 3. Im thinking of finally buying Chrono Trigger for myself, as the price has always seemed steep but screw it. I played it on DS and adored it.

This may sound lame, but every Christmas i buy myself a SNES game that ive always wanted or never played. Last year i got Turtles IV, then DKC, and Contra 3. Im thinking of finally buying Chrono Trigger for myself, as the price has always seemed steep but screw it. I played it on DS and adored it.

CT is pretty rad. I imagine most fans played the original 90s translation first. I wonder what your impression will be after playing the DS one first.

My Pocky and Rocky and Demon Crest both CiB shipped today. Will post pics once I get em!
Nice. I have both games cart-only (Pocky being marred by a fair bit of marker, although I don't think any of it's on the label at least), but no way I'd shell out the dough the boxes and manuals/inserts would cost!

Yasawas

Just bought CIB R Type III shattering the record for most I've paid for a game which aptly was also a SNES title - Doom, way back in Christmas '95. I hope it's as good as that. I've been on quite the spending spree this month since there's nothing current gen I'm interested in on the horizon.

well, i finally did it. just pulled the trigger on buying a super famicom. i'm american and have always loved the look of them. i saw an auction for one on ebay that is already here in the states, is in great condition (virtually no discoloration), comes with two pads also in great condition, cib, and at a reasonable price. i should have it by monday at the latest. very excited!

ys45

I have not posted here in while because I did no want to spend money on Retro gaming but hey since then I got like a total of 50 new retro games (Genesis,SNES,NES,SFC,Famicom)
So it did not work, so I might as well continue posting/viewing this thread :p

I recently acquired a pristine condition of Actraiser CIB for $80 (pic on the september pick-up thread) When I saw the condition I could not pass this up, not even sure it was ever played to be honest.

Also got a slim SNES model complete with Super Mario World (which I needed because the copy I have is in poor condition)
Also got R-Type for SNES CIB and Gradius 3 SFC cheap

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I recently acquired a pristine condition of Actraiser CIB for $80 (pic on the september pick-up thread) When I saw the condition I could not pass this up, not even sure it was ever played to be honest.

One of my favourite games of all time, and just a stellar launch title. I bought it because I wanted Final Fantasy II and the store didn't have it and recommended ActRaiser instead. An excellent coincidence, because I really fell in love with it.

Rarity question: I have Super Mario World, but BOXED Player's Choice version. I was reading at Assemblergames that this version is extremely rare even if is a Player's Choice, i was searching for another copy on eBay and nothing, is this true? is there an average price for it?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Rarity question: I have Super Mario World, but BOXED Player's Choice version. I was reading at Assemblergames that this version is extremely rare even if is a Player's Choice, i was searching for another copy on eBay and nothing, is this true? is there an average price for it?

Here's one that sold for a hundo
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mario...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mario...9366?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item1c41a2e746

Yasawas

I've not had a good couple of weeks but I just came home to these little rays of Super Fami sunshine and am now positively buoyant:

Zw0EDtx.jpg

Really excited as I've never played any of them. I'm a very recent convert to Mega Man having entirely missed it growing up, I've completed X and MM1 over the last few months and intend to play the rest in order so it could be a while before I open that box. The copy of Hamelyn was sold as "new" which I usually scoff at but I'm 100% certain the seller was right in this case and it was a cool novelty to open as I doubt I'll get to do that too many more times.

Bar81

I've not had a good couple of weeks but I just came home to these little rays of Super Fami sunshine and am now positively buoyant:

Zw0EDtx.jpg

Really excited as I've never played any of them. I'm a very recent convert to Mega Man having entirely missed it growing up, I've completed X and MM1 over the last few months and intend to play the rest in order so it could be a while before I open that box. The copy of Hamelyn was sold as "new" which I usually scoff at but I'm 100% certain the seller was right in this case and it was a cool novelty to open as I doubt I'll get to do that too many more times.

You can always determine new by seeing if there are any crease marks along the top flap back edge. If not, it's probably new.

Yasawas

Nothing, totally pristine. I could tell just by opening it as the cardboard was a lot stiffer than other games I have in immaculate condition that I thought could pass for new until now and the contacts are gleaming. Very happy with it!

C-Sword

I'm looking for a snes game I don't remember the name of, it's a 2D side-scrolling shmup, you start off as a plane/ship and turn into a robot when you power up, it came out in North America and is single player only.

Sorry, I don't have more details.

Teknoman

I'm looking for a snes game I don't remember the name of, it's a 2D side-scrolling shmup, you start off as a plane/ship and turn into a robot when you power up, it came out in North America and is single player only.

Sorry, I don't have more details.

Blazeon.

Top Bottom