• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

IrishNinja

right, but like no one - myself included at the time - new it. many here tragically still don't, though most seem aware of the amazing DC launch (delay and all)...so i like pointing it out, as well as the fact that this launch year hasn't been that kind to the PS4.

i'm saying, if the narrative is that the new hot shit would move folks back to the new, try back in 2015 when the party's fully in effect mode. as it stands, 2014 is like an ideal year to dig through the crates, which prolly isn't helping said bubble, heh.

Well, since I switched to the amazing Mini for the RGB, I've had my model 1 sitting. Popped it on Craigslist and I had the buyer swing through tonight.

"Is this the model 1 or the model 2." He almost states to me

"Model 1. Model 2 is a little smaller, less blocky, more rounded," I respond.

Long pause. "Noo... this is the model 2," he states, pointing at the precaution sticker on the front of it which had somehow survived my childhood and beyond. "See that sticker? And it has the thing that comes up," he says, poking at the eject button. "This is the model 2. You're thinking of the model 1, which was the Jr."

He had money, so I let him be right. That's what good business is all about.

Peagles

Well, since I switched to the amazing Mini for the RGB, I've had my model 1 sitting. Popped it on Craigslist and I had the buyer swing through tonight.

Long pause. "Noo... this is the model 2," he states, pointing at the precaution sticker on the front of it which had somehow survived my childhood and beyond. "See that sticker? And it has the thing that comes up," he says, poking at the eject button. "This is the model 2. You're thinking of the model 1, which was the Jr."

Damn you, nearly spat my coffee all over my laptop, lol.

I really should start keeping a journal of my interactions like this for the lols. I'm convinced it happens to me more often because I'm a woman, and there's some men I meet who seem very eager to teach me things I probably wouldn't know about gaming since of course I must be very new to the hobby and of course also not very good with technical things, lol.

I really should start keeping a journal of my interactions like this for the lols. I'm convinced it happens to me more often because I'm a woman, and there's some men I meet who seem very eager to teach me things I probably wouldn't know about gaming since of course I must be very new to the hobby and of course also not very good with technical things, lol.
Ahaha. That is a good idea. I sell a lot, and have had tons of great interactions with morons. I do feel bad for you, for the sexist encounters you've had (I've never had a woman once educate me for the sake of me being a "dumb man" for instance)

IrishNinja

...i was about to make a grrls casually playing gamez joke, but i just noticed your brilliant avatar there, cpt peagles

carry on

You would be surprised at how eager fellow turbo nerds are just to show off how much they know regardless of who they are talking too. Found this out after years of dropping eaves at different shops and conventions. Someone could be talking to a person involved in the actual creation of a product and still correct them on stuff they think they know.

Peagles

You would be surprised at how eager fellow turbo nerds are just to show off how much they know regardless of who they are talking too. Found this out after years of dropping eaves at different shops and conventions. Someone could be talking to a person involved in the actual creation of a product and still correct them on stuff they think they know.

Oh yeh I don't doubt it. It's probably the same people doing it to everyone, but I do notice the difference when my fiance is present because we get treated quite differently.

The best is going into the electronics shop to get stuff for modding, I'll tell them what I need, then they'll go grab it and come back and hand it to my fiance and ask him if that's the one he's after. He's really good though, he'll just look them in the eye and be like "Why are you giving it to me? Talk to her, she's the one who needs it." Then they get all flustered and barely look at me when they hand it over, lol. Sometimes I'll ask for something else I don't even need just to shame them out more, hehe.

It's sad in a way but it's actually kinda funny too.

...i was about to make a grrls casually playing gamez joke, but i just noticed your brilliant avatar there, cpt peagles

carry on

Only real
wo
men
play in RF.

if anyone legit says dracula x > bloodlines here, i'm out
SNES Dracula X versus Bloodlines? That's tough, two severely disappointing games compared to eachother... I don't know which is worse, I'd need to play SNES Dracula X a lot more than I have to be sure.

I can't figure out how genuinely rare some of the SNES RPGs are. It just seems like there's always been a history of not enough copies around, but I dunno.
Value and rarity are not the same thing. The US SNES Final Fantasy games are valuable, not rare. Of course the Japanese versions are much more common, because RPGs sold huge there that generation, but the US versions aren't actually rare. They're just valuable. There are plenty of extremely rare things which have little value, and some fairly common things which are expensive. Of course being common makes it less likely that something will be valuable, but it's not impossible.

Plus I just have this feeling like the western retro scene is dominated by zealous collectors who are in a "scarcity mindset", and they drive prices up beyond what they probably should be.
Well, in the West at least, remember that gaming as a whole has steadily grown in popularity over time. There are more people today to maybe get interested in classic game collecting, but the number of copies of those older games is set and declining as systems or games break or get thrown out; they're not making more to replace them. And of course lots of people want to buy the games they remember as a kid. Combine all that and I think it's not too hard to see why classic game prices have steadily risen over the past decade.

What you're saying might be part of the problem, but if there was a lot more supply than demand, prices would not continue to rise.

Nobody can sensibly argue that a launch involving Panzer Dragoon was a wash. To do so would be monstrous.
Sure, but the Saturn's real launch problems were that its packin was subpar (first version of Virtua Fighter), many stores didn't have the system initially because of Sega's surprise launch and then those stores were quite angry at Sega for it, the Saturn was too expensive and people didn't buy it because of that while people heard stories about how the PS1 would have better 3d graphics, Sega had poor third-party support early on because the rushed launch pushed the system release date up =by months and no one could get games ready so the system had a multi-month-long release drought right after launch (in the US), and lastly the fact that Sega had released the 32X only six months earlier made people cautious about buying yet another Sega system so soon.

But you are right, Daytona USA and Panzer Dragoon were launch games, and both are absolutely amazing! They're two of my favorite Saturn games for sure.

Mercutio

Sure, but the Saturn's real launch problems were that its packin was subpar (first version of Virtua Fighter), many stores didn't have the system initially because of Sega's surprise launch and then those stores were quite angry at Sega for it, the Saturn was too expensive and people didn't buy it because of that while people heard stories about how the PS1 would have better 3d graphics, Sega had poor third-party support early on because the rushed launch pushed the system release date up =by months and no one could get games ready so the system had a multi-month-long release drought right after launch (in the US), and lastly the fact that Sega had released the 32X only six months earlier made people cautious about buying yet another Sega system so soon.

But you are right, Daytona USA and Panzer Dragoon were launch games, and both are absolutely amazing! They're two of my favorite Saturn games for sure.

The launch was a disaster, from a sales and marketing standpoint. A true low-watermark for gaming. Nobody would argue that. I just mean, comparatively to other launches, the Saturn had some actual great stuff on day 1. The PS2, comparatively? Not quite so hot. But hey, look how that turned out.

Oh yeh I don't doubt it. It's probably the same people doing it to everyone, but I do notice the difference when my fiance is present because we get treated quite differently.

The best is going into the electronics shop to get stuff for modding, I'll tell them what I need, then they'll go grab it and come back and hand it to my fiance and ask him if that's the one he's after. He's really good though, he'll just look them in the eye and be like "Why are you giving it to me? Talk to her, she's the one who needs it." Then they get all flustered and barely look at me when they hand it over, lol. Sometimes I'll ask for something else I don't even need just to shame them out more, hehe.

It's sad in a way but it's actually kinda funny too.
LOL. Good on him for having your back like that. Eventually you two will cure the world of
electronics
sexism

Mzo

There WAS a big change in the SNES hardware when they removed the hook that kept games from getting yanked out when the system was on. That's around the same time when the carts themselves lost the convex bulge that the hook grabbed onto. Not sure why that change happened, or if there was a need for carts to be pulled out while system was on, but the revised hardware has a sticker on the system telling you not to do it.

So yes, there is a 2nd revision of the OG hardware that has the sticker on it (if we ignore all other internal revision models), but that has nothing to do with the mini.

That guy was just new and confused. It happens. It's best not to argue, yeah.

DonDraper

Banned
I got Final Fantasy V and VI boxed for $5 apiece.

It's hilarious to compare how much boxed North American versions would be.

I'm interested in trying to buy SFC games but have no idea where to find them online. I'm in the US and would love to be able to order some on the cheap and have them shipped.

There WAS a big change in the SNES hardware when they removed the hook that kept games from getting yanked out when the system was on. That's around the same time when the carts themselves lost the convex bulge that the hook grabbed onto. Not sure why that change happened, or if there was a need for carts to be pulled out while system was on, but the revised hardware has a sticker on the system telling you not to do it.

So yes, there is a 2nd revision of the OG hardware that has the sticker on it (if we ignore all other internal revision models), but that has nothing to do with the mini.

Yes, but was that revision a second model? Or same model number? :p

Mercutio

I bet a ton of people yanked games out while the system was on, and broke the mechanism. What's funny though is that the carts in Japan never changed in design. I wonder if later SFC systems lost the hook inside too?

Mzo

Yes, but was that revision a second model? Or same model number? :p

There are a lot of SNESs with different model numbers. There is a lot of variance among the different models for how strong the SNES bar comes through on the TV. Most of the changes were internal, but some actually did affect certain games. The only obviously different, external physical change I can think of is the lack of the hook and the sticker glued onto the console. There were different versions before and after that change.

http://superfamicom.org/console-serial-database

The Mini or Jr. or whatever is more like an official clone system than an iteration.

All that aside, dude should know a Mini apart from any other version of the SNES. I was just saying that I can understand why he might be a little confused.

Azzurri

Looking to start collecting rare games again. A local retro store has demons crest complete inbox but it's the Japanese version for 199

Seik

Banned
Really glad I finally got this yesterday, it's been years I've been waiting to pull the trigger on a complete Yoshi's Island, since I already had the cartridge. Now I need Super Mario World, too.

GhD8xim.jpg

Azzurri

That's actually a good price compared to what's o amazon and ebay.

Cool, I though it wasn't too bad considering there all over 300 for CiB.

Man, Earthbound and E.V.O are so expensive CiB.

Lol, now I'm going on a buying spree. I think I'm going to pick up Pocky and Rocky CiB, have a Zelda:LttP CiB for 50, and Sunset Riders CiB, oh and FF III CiB. I already have Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana CiB that I bought years ago.

I'm gonna hit up some thrift stores tomorrow.

Azzurri

SO I want to buy a Framemeister, and I have a SNES that has a RGB built in, so what cable to I need that will connect the SNES to the Framemeister?

BTails

SO I want to buy a Framemeister, and I have a SNES that has a RGB built in, so what cable to I need that will connect the SNES to the Framemeister?

There's two ways:

The Framemeister has a mini-RGB in on it, and comes with a JP-21 to mini-RGB adapter. So you can buy a JP-21 RGB cable for SNES and use the provided adapter.

OR: You can buy a Euro SCART cable, and a Euro SCART to mini-RGB adapter for the Frameister, and use that.

The main benefit of going Euro SCART (from what I'm led to believe), is SCART switches are much more common, which makes things easier if you're plugging multiple consoles into the Frameister.

retro_console_accessories on eBay should have everything you need either way.

Azzurri

There's two ways:

The Framemeister has a mini-RGB in on it, and comes with a JP-21 to mini-RGB adapter. So you can buy a JP-21 RGB cable for SNES and use the provided adapter.

OR: You can buy a Euro SCART cable, and a Euro SCART to mini-RGB adapter for the Frameister, and use that.

The main benefit of going Euro SCART (from what I'm led to believe), is SCART switches are much more common, which makes things easier if you're plugging multiple consoles into the Frameister.

retro_console_accessories on eBay should have everything you need either way.

Cool, I checked the his website, but I'm still not to sure which adapter hooks up to the SNES.

FEDA: The Emblem of Justice (1994)

http://i.imgur.com/4hSjqwo.jpg[/img

[img]http://i.imgur.com/tfcPQp2.jpg[/img

Made by the same guys as Shining Force 1. It's great if you cannot get enough of SF or Fire Emblem. Always wanted this game from the moment I saw EGM's Super Famicom preview.

[url]http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/feda/feda.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.rpgamer.com/games/feda/feda/reviews/fedardrev1.html[/url][/QUOTE]
I remembert there was a Saturn remake straight up called Feda Remake, lol

Rich!

was walking past the recycling centre earlier and saw a pretty large photo frame (glass intact) with the outside frame covered in chipped paint

obviously I took it home, spraypainted the frame and put SNES screenshots in it. excuse the terrible photos/lighting/reflections:

close up to show the quality (took the screenshots from Retroarch, printed on glossy 6x4 photo paper I've been meaing to use for ages).

had a bit of a gap at the bottom I had to fill, but hey not bad for free. looks better in person

Peagles

was walking past the recycling centre earlier and saw a pretty large photo frame (glass intact) with the outside frame covered in chipped paint

obviously I took it home, spraypainted the frame and put SNES screenshots in it. excuse the terrible photos/lighting/reflections:

close up to show the quality (took the screenshots from Retroarch, printed on glossy 6x4 photo paper I've been meaing to use for ages).

had a bit of a gap at the bottom I had to fill, but hey not bad for free. looks better in person

Love it!

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
FEDA: The Emblem of Justice (1994)

http://i.imgur.com/4hSjqwo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tfcPQp2.jpg

Made by the same guys as Shining Force 1. It's great if you cannot get enough of SF or Fire Emblem. Always wanted this game from the moment I saw EGM's Super Famicom preview.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/feda/feda.htm
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/feda/feda/reviews/fedardrev1.html

I remembert there was a Saturn remake straight up called Feda Remake, lol

Yeah I have both of 'em, but I haven't really gotten around to playing them seriously yet. Seems pretty cool. There's a sequel for the PS1 as well.

You'll probably have trouble finding someone willing to print out as close to an original label as possible, but there might be scans online if you want to print out a new one for yourself.

When I got an Earthbound cart that looked like this, I decided to go with something a little more original.

Edit: If you don't mind putting a little more money into your game and don't mind your label saying "Reproduction Label" in small font down in the bottom left corner, there's a seller on ebay who sells new replacement labels. Keep in mind that you'll probably significantly depreciate the value that's left in your cart if you get a replacement label versus keeping what you have.

IrishNinja

man, i came in to compliment Seik's excellent boxed SNES collection there, but richisawesome's piece really wow'd me, good work man

Azzurri

Just got Pocky and Rock CiB along with Demons Crest CiB.

I've spent way too much money on old games, LOL.

I also plan to by a TurboGrphx Turbo Duo which are expensive too.

Yasawas

Recommended shmups?

I've reached the point in my collection where I've got most of the games I had as a kid and a lot of the obvious ones I missed, so now I get to expand my horizons a bit and try some new (old) games. I was never into shooters as a boy but picked up Oshaberi Parodius recently and very much enjoyed it, but what else to check out? I just missed out on a mint Axelay earlier which I remember reviewing well but not sure what else to prioritise in my searchings. I have a Super Famicom if it makes a difference.

Recommended shmups?

I've reached the point in my collection where I've got most of the games I had as a kid and a lot of the obvious ones I missed, so now I get to expand my horizons a bit and try some new (old) games. I was never into shooters as a boy but picked up Oshaberi Parodius recently and very much enjoyed it, but what else to check out? I just missed out on a mint Axelay earlier which I remember reviewing well but not sure what else to prioritise in my searchings. I have a Super Famicom if it makes a difference.

Try R-Type III. I like it a lot, but I recognize that it's pretty slow paced, has a lot of slowdown and is dependent on a lot of memorization. Not for everyone, but it's my favorite shooter on the system.

To be honest, PC Engine and Mega Drive are much better consoles for that genre.

Top Bottom