• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Linkhero1

Guys I only have like two GB games, please don't start a new thread dedicated to collecting for it as it will not be good for my wallet

o1xyrrk.jpg

Fox Mulder

Guys I only have like two GB games, please don't start a new thread dedicated to collecting for it as it will not be good for my wallet

I know how that is. I'm currently buying games for the GameCube and SNES, plus picked up xenoblade and metroid prime trilogy at GameStop for $60 each. Stimulating that economy.

Parallacs

-KRS-

Yes. We also have the SNES Nostalgia thread, and probably other SNES threads as well. But this is specifically for discussing collecting, and we don't really have many such threads yet.

I'll call dibs on the NES thread then btw! :p
But I'll wait a while with that one until the GB one has been out for a while so we don't cannibalize each other. :)

I have mint FFIV, V and VI GBA games in boxes barely touched.

I had no idea they'd be collectable, I just loved the games.

I remember back in the day before Sunsoft (I think) rereleased Final Fantasy Legend 1-3 those games had huge trade in values at Funcoland. I ended up swapping FF Legend 1-3, Dragon Warrior 3, and FF Adventure for a new PS1 and Ogre Battle. That was a trade of a lifetime.

Chinner

Banned
off my head these GB games are retaining value:

All the Zelda:
Link's Awak gamesening /DX
Oracle of Seasons/Ages
Link to the Past + Four Swords
Minish Cap

Most Pokemon games:
Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold and Silver

Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel

also, Shantae is super expensive.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
also Megaman 5 for GB is expensive. I sold mine many years ago, but one day I will reclaim it. Thankfully, I kept my Complete in box Shantae :D

It's a thoroughly modern television I just... you know... figured that... it has 4 HDMI ports, man, 4 of them! Why not one lousy S-video input?

Because, unfortunately, a lot of new HDTVs started to get rid of S-Video, for some reason. I guess they figured that not a whole lot of people used them, so they could save a bit by removing it. Heh. :(

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Because, unfortunately, a lot of new HDTVs started to get rid of S-Video, for some reason. I guess they figured that not a whole lot of people used them, so they could save a bit by removing it. Heh. :(

Wasn't that part of a government mandate away from analog, or something?

-KRS-

Yes it's the same with SCART here in Europe. Some newer HDTVs, especially cheaper ones, doesn't have that anymore. It makes me worried about the future.

I also hope that as CRTs become increasingly rare, some manufacturer realizes that there is a small enthusiast market for CRTs and starts making them again.

GulAtiCa

Yeah my new giant HDTV doesn't have a S-Video ability. Just 3 HDMI, 1 USB, 1 attena (that is prob never going away), and 1 component slot(/composite as well obviously).

Both my smaller HDTV (which is connected to my Saturn) and smaller older TV upstairs still has the S-Video slot. I should consider moving my SNES up there (or better yet, just get a 2nd SNES) and get a S-Video for it.

off my head these GB games are retaining value:

All the Zelda:
Link's Awak gamesening /DX
Oracle of Seasons/Ages
Link to the Past + Four Swords
Minish Cap

Most Pokemon games:
Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold and Silver

Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel

also, Shantae is super expensive.

Isn't Ninja Five-O pretty expensive?

GulAtiCa

Just bought another SNES (sadly not a gold edition version :p ). Comes with composite, so already an improved quality over my RF. I'll put it upstairs next to my older TV in my bedroom and buy a S-Video cable for it.

Edit: And just bought a SNES S-Video cable for it for $6.

Sushigod7

I've never searched for Earthbound before on eBay WTF at those prices. Crazy won't ever be playing that I guess. Have my eye on a few used systems hope to get one to start collecting soon.

Parallacs

Haven't posted my collection yet, so here goes.

RARE GAMES:
Mtsb4Te.jpg

CHILDHOOD GAMES:
6BQpQt8.jpg

SHOOTERS (RANKED FROM BEST TO WORST)
IbmPMHp.jpg

And the Rest
L9YVdW5.jpg

My rarest game, by far, is Fun N Games. A crappy game that isn't worth much, despite being a lot rarer than Earthbound. I ran a mile to go back to the seller once I realized what it was and that $2 was a good price.

Teknoman

You've got Wild Guns? Wow...man still searching for that game. Cant have enough sci-fi western/crazy cowboy action games.

EDIT: Super Metroid for 10 bucks too? Nice.

Parallacs

You've got Wild Guns? Wow...man still searching for that game. Cant have enough sci-fi western/crazy cowboy action games.

EDIT: Super Metroid for 10 bucks too? Nice.

Bought it on a whim from eBay for $20. I was in Houston for work in 2011 and was bored not being near friends or swap meets.

That was also when I got earthbound, metal warriors and a slew of other games from eBay. I doubled my collection.

Parallacs

Btw when you say ranked from best to worst for the shooters, do you mean horizontally or vertically.

I sorta messed it up, I meant vertically, left to right, but lost interest after the first three.

The proper ranking is:

Essential
Space Megaforce
Axelay
UN Squadron
R-Type 3

Great
Phalanx
Firepower 2000 (I can't find my copy)
Super R-Type
Raiden Trad
Biometal (Do I still have this game?)