• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Do you have more of these labels? I need one for one of my SMWs. Where can I print these? I need a guide.

Is there a site that has a collection of these cart labels?, after a label for Metal Warriors?

I just found that one through google. I've never printed any labels and know nothing about it. There are places out there that sell them (a linked in this thread). I'm sure they'll do custom ones if you contact them since they don't have that many on their site.

I don't want to consider myself a hardcore gamer or anything but to me reprinting the label and putting it in a new cartridge seem too much like repro-carts to me, it makes it less authentic to me. I don't have a problem with repro carts or anything, I just would only get repro carts if the game never had a US release and needed an english translation.

I'm right there with you. I'd rather pay more for the real sticker and everything. If it was cheaper I'd be tempted, but if I'm going to spend that kind of money, I want the real deal all the way through.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The other nite I had to take a detour home due to the blizzard and discovered a new independent game store that opened up right across from SUNY Stony Brook. Gonna check it out tonite, here's hoping there are some good retro game finds to be had!

a tip that is not SNES specific, but is usefull for any collector: don't be shy!

Some of my greatest finds came from putting up ads in the local newspaper asking for retro video games! A lot of people see games as junk and are more than happy to call/email you about what they have and they often wanna part with it for a very low price (my biggest haul was 120 games + 9 consoles in trade for a six pack of beer!)

Well I suppose it's worth a shot. How long ago did you do this?

Collection post (sorry for the bad camera):
DSC_0006_zpscc0ec270.jpg

DSC_0009_zps8b34c580.jpg

DSC_0011_zpsed0ef593.jpg

DSC_0012_zpsd479934d.jpg

DSC_0013_zps37ae4ef2.jpg
For the record, that Earthbound cart is real:
It originally looked like this when I got it:

It's mostly alphabetized--I moved a few things around like sequels. My Mega Man collection is not complete, though. I need Mega Man Soccer and Rockman & Forte!

Rezae

So I got one of those sealed F-Zero copies in the mail today... and I just can't bring myself to open it. It just looks so rare and valuable and perfect (even though I know it's worth hardly anything). On the one hand though, I could experience opening my first SNES package in like 18 years (and most likely the last time!), but... maybe I'll just buy a cheap used copy and keep this one up. Aw hell I should just buy a second sealed one and have the best of both.

Also got a copy of SCIV in the mail in excellent condition. I feel like I'm 10 again with glee!

Parallacs

So I got one of those sealed F-Zero copies in the mail today... and I just can't bring myself to open it. It just looks so rare and valuable and perfect (even though I know it's worth hardly anything). On the one hand though, I could experience opening my first SNES package in like 18 years (and most likely the last time!), but... maybe I'll just buy a cheap used copy and keep this one up. Aw hell I should just buy a second sealed one and have the best of both.

Also got a copy of SCIV in the mail in excellent condition. I feel like I'm 10 again with glee!

Yeah, keep that sucker sealed. It would feel like opening a DVD.

Besides, you got some Super Castlevania to play. Get cracking!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Any fellow Americans ever import a copy of Terranigma from Europe? My US SNES is modded to play Japanese games (removed the tabs in the cartridge slot) but was wondering if a PAL Terranigma would be playable on an American console/HDTV? Do I need a special converter?

Didn't find an AC adapter that works, but I'm confident my problems are most definitely linked to faulty AC adapters. (Which means I might actually have three working SNES models on hand!) Ordered an official one off of Amazon that'll hopefully work.

-KRS-

Any fellow Americans ever import a copy of Terranigma from Europe? My US SNES is modded to play Japanese games (removed the tabs in the cartridge slot) but was wondering if a PAL Terranigma would be playable on an American console/HDTV? Do I need a special converter?

Yes you need a converter I think. At least I need a converter for playing my NTSC games on my PAL SNES. I don't have an NTSC SNES though so can't test that. But once you get a converter it should work fine, although I'm guessing the PAL version of the game has been PAL corrected. So some things that are based on timing can be a little screwy, including graphics. I don't own Terranigma, but when I play Earthbound on my PAL SNES and watch a performance of The Runaway Five the music will not be synchronized with the actual performance on screen and end like 15 seconds before they stop dancing. But other than that it works fine so no biggie in that case. Can't speak for how Terranigma works though.

Edit: Also not every converter will work with every game. I had to get the so called AD-29 Universal Adapter to get Earthbound to work. With my other converters it just displayed a message that I could not play this game on this console.

HylianTom

Banned
Well I got sort of drunk and offered $80 for this lot, which was immediately accepted. I may have overpaid a little bit, but oh well. It'll be pretty nice to cross these off the list.
Every time I feel regret for overspending, that feeling vanishes from the relief of actually getting the items.

But you're dead-on about the whole drinking and ebay thing. Such a weakness..

HMTVBrian

Neo Member
Quite a few years ago I tried to start an SNES collection..really only picked up EarthBound at a reasonable price (like 45 bucks!) and then really just couldn't justify spending the money at that particular time..

Now, I'm pretty much screwed. Biggest regret of my gaming life is selling my old SNES and Saturn when I was a teenager.

Sushigod7

Quite a few years ago I tried to start an SNES collection..really only picked up EarthBound at a reasonable price (like 45 bucks!) and then really just couldn't justify spending the money at that particular time..

Now, I'm pretty much screwed. Biggest regret of my gaming life is selling my old SNES and Saturn when I was a teenager.

Yup sold all my stuff for like $100 dollars when I was younger. I think my parents kept the money since they bought it all. I was 10 so can't blame them.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Every time I feel regret for overspending, that feeling vanishes from the relief of actually getting the items.

But you're dead-on about the whole drinking and ebay thing. Such a weakness..

I think I'll do that tonight, actually. That's the only fun way to deal with Ebay anymore.

yeah last console I kept with all the games was my Dreamcast. had all the great NES, SNES, 3DO and N64 games and sold them all eventually.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Only collection I have somewhat intact is my PS1 collection, I still need to track down one game though.

As someone who only bought Buy It Now items on eBay, bidding is both exciting and stressful. I'm keeping tabs on a few games right now.

Teknoman

What the? Was it buy it now? Got my eye on one that I hope doesnt skyrocket before the auction ends...

a tip that is not SNES specific, but is usefull for any collector: don't be shy!

Some of my greatest finds came from putting up ads in the local newspaper asking for retro video games! A lot of people see games as junk and are more than happy to call/email you about what they have and they often wanna part with it for a very low price (my biggest haul was 120 games + 9 consoles in trade for a six pack of beer!)

Damn man, nice!

GulAtiCa

I'm this close to posting in the B/S/T thread, asking someone to trade me a decent copy of Earthbound for a sealed Xenoblade.

hmm. a new copy of Xenoblade goes for about $100 while a used cart only Earthbound goes for $200. (on eBay). Someone here might trade you. Though that is quite a big different in price. Good luck!

Teknoman

hmm. a new copy of Xenoblade goes for about $100 while a used cart only Earthbound goes for $200. (on eBay). Someone here might trade you. Though that is quite a big different in price. Good luck!

Hmm for some reason I was thinking they were going for 150+. Scratch that then lol. Dont think I would have done that anyway...

Anyway, another thrift store lesson, never forget to check the magazine/book sections:

jZgbPBhe4Sk0M.jpg

SNES players guide in pretty good shape. Curious about what Super Contra IV was supposed to be.

EDIT: Unless they actually counted Contra Force as 3 at some point?

DryvBy

Earthbound can usually be found on Craigslist if you're lucky. Usually in better condition than Amazon or eBay from their pictures. I always miss them by an hour. You gotta be doing searches a lot to find it. GL!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNES-Super-...3310?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item5652f6cc3e

25 SNES games for $39.95. Majority are sports. But 7 of the games labels are hidden. So who will take the plunge and risk $40 to see if they are something special or crap? :lol

Also on a unrelated note, just bought Super Metroid for $36 :)

Yeah, that seller has been listing a bunch of those boxes. Kind of weird. I've spent too much this week betteen MMX2 and Demon's Crest. I was really tempted to grab a box as well just to see though.

Nice score on that Super Metroid. I'm playing it right now. Game is still so awesome. I haven't played it in probably a decade. Feel like a newb, can't remember where to go and shit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNES-Super-...3310?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item5652f6cc3e

25 SNES games for $39.95. Majority are sports. But 7 of the games labels are hidden. So who will take the plunge and risk $40 to see if they are something special or crap? :lol

Also on a unrelated note, just bought Super Metroid for $36 :)

I saw that too, but since its from a seller who sells games for a living I'm sure it's more Blazers Vs. Bulls lol. And nice pick up of Super Metroid, that's the same price I got for it a couple weeks ago.

GulAtiCa

It seems like a real game for the Super Famicom, never came out in other regions. So the the game is official (not homebrew) but the cart is a fake. It's like those NTSC Terranigma carts, they are fake.

Pappasman

It seems like a real game for the Super Famicom, never came out in other regions. So the the game is official (not homebrew) but the cart is a fake. It's like those NTSC Terranigma carts, they are fake.

It's a reproduction. Not as bad of a price as most people try and charge on ebay for them. But, pawning it off as some legit rare thing is pretty shady.

Ya, I knew it seemed shady. I was sure that it only got localized for the GBA port.

Ya, I knew it seemed shady. I was sure that it only got localized for the GBA port.

Yeah. It'll play just like a real cart in your SNES and has a full english fan translation. Game is really awesome. That is the next repro I intend to buy actually. Ebay seems to be okay with listing repros, so there's really no need for the seller to try and be shady like that, outside of the fact I guess he doesn't want people to look them up and realize they can buy them from the source for cheaper.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Some fucker tried to snipe me, but I waited till 2 seconds to outbid him.

$37 for a VERY GOOD in all caps Super Metroid.

IrishNinja

holy crap! i might have to try that sometime, that's incredible. my best recent craigslist find was 2 and a half years of old nintendo power for $20 beer/gas money, heh

The other nite I had to take a detour home due to the blizzard and discovered a new independent game store that opened up right across from SUNY Stony Brook. Gonna check it out tonite, here's hoping there are some good retro game finds to be had!

awesome, i'm so jealous because we never see those here...post back with details!

also, speaking of craigslist, SNES speculation is even jacking prices up there...this isn't an awful haul, but $220 sounds high

jZgbPBhe4Sk0M.jpg

SNES players guide in pretty good shape. Curious about what Super Contra IV was supposed to be.

EDIT: Unless they actually counted Contra Force as 3 at some point?

Yeah, I think I still have that book. It was a companion to the SNES articles in Nintendo Power, and it covered some games beyond what was in the magizine, while giving short previews of others. Something of a combined ad/strategy guide. It came with three other books: The Mario Mania guide, which was mostly a Super Mario World strategy guide, the Game Boy guide, which had short guides to the most popular GB games and blurbs about many of the rest, and the best guidebook ever: The NES Game Atlas. It had detailed maps of the top 20 or so NES games of the time, and I used my copy so much that it fell apart.

And yes, Super Contra IV was Contra III. There may have been some confusion with the recently released Contra Force or the gameboy game.

Top Bottom