• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

I sorta messed it up, I meant vertically, left to right, but lost interest after the first three.

The proper ranking is:

Essential
Space Megaforce
Axelay
UN Squadron
R-Type 3

Great
Phalanx
Firepower 2000 (I can't find my copy)
Super R-Type
Raiden Trad
Biometal (Do I still have this game?)
Hyperzone
EDF

Meh to Bad
Darius Twin
Super Nova
Thunder Spirits
Gradius-III
D-Force
Yeah... no. Not even close!

Best
Gradius III - my favorite shmup of the whole generation

Great
Space Megaforce
UN Squadron
BlaZeon - I love this game
R-Type 3
Aero Fighters (wish it wasn't so crazy expensive!)

Good
Super R-Type
Axelay
Raiden Trad
Firepower 2000
Space Invaders

Okay to good
Thunder Spirits (best game of this category)
Darius Twin
EDF
Phalanx

Not so great
D-Force (though I don't hate it -- it's more mediocre, really)

Hyperzone's a rail shooter, so I wouldn't list it (it's at least decent, though, as is Star Fox.).

Parallacs

Best

Great
Space Megaforce
UN Squadron
R-Type 3

Good
Super R-Type
Axelay
Raiden Trad
Firepower 2000
Space Invaders

Okay to good
Darius Twin
EDF
Phalanx

Not so great

Hyperzone's a rail shooter, so I wouldn't list it (it's at least decent, though, as is Star Fox.).

Yeah I agree that Hyperzone shouldn't technically be in there. I mentioned earlier in the thread that it is more like REZ.

Gradius is bad in my opinion because:
1. Massive Slowdown
2. Upgrade system typical of Gradius games. I just don't like the bank system.
3. The graphics are boring. Black with white stars doesn't impress me.
4. That sand area in level two never ends.

I have been hunting Aero Fighters for two years. I put in a 4 second bid on it for $200 last month but lost to $230. I no longer have money to spend. Off to the swap meets I go!

Dave_6

Do you guys think Super Double Dragon and Super Ghouls n Ghosts are worth paying $30 and $20 respectively each for just the carts? The label on the back of SDD has a tear on it too. The same store also has Super R-Type, Kirby Super Star, one of the Spider-Man games (not the red cart) and one of the Mickey Mouse games (I believe it's Magical Quest). Not sure if I should go back and get any of those or not; the only one I've ever owned or played in the past is Super Ghouls n Ghosts.

I have a great riddle to share. My copy of Mega Man X2 is coming from South Carolina. I live in Illinois. Why the fuck is it now in Washington?

5Do1qOB.png

Which according to mapquest means it has already traveled 2,861 miles, while I am only 728 miles from it's original shipping place. I am actually further away from it now after two days of shipping, then I was when we started. The fuck USPS?

Maybe they gave you the wrong tracking number. I've done that before.

Yeah, I sent the guy a message asking that. He sold two Mega Man X's that same day (I believe other Gaffers got each one) so maybe he got them mixed up. Be pretty funny if someone else on here gets my MMX2 and I get their MMX.

Do you guys think Super Double Dragon and Super Ghouls n Ghosts are worth paying $30 and $20 respectively each for just the carts? The label on the back of SDD has a tear on it too. The same store also has Super R-Type, Kirby Super Star, one of the Spider-Man games (not the red cart) and one of the Mickey Mouse games (I believe it's Magical Quest). Not sure if I should go back and get any of those or not; the only one I've ever owned or played in the past is Super Ghouls n Ghosts.

Those are pretty much ebay prices. Nothing great, but not bad either. You can get GnG for $17 here. Cheapest Double Dragon is $29.99.

I have a great riddle to share. My copy of Mega Man X2 is coming from South Carolina. I live in Illinois. Why the fuck is it now in Washington?

5Do1qOB.png

Which according to mapquest means it has already traveled 2,861 miles, while I am only 728 miles from it's original shipping place. I am actually further away from it now after two days of shipping, then I was when we started. The fuck USPS?

My Castlevania 4 and Demon's Crest are coming by USPS and they were shipped from Salt Lake City, Utah. Two days later they're in Los Angeles. I live in Canada USPS this is the opposite direction, what are you doing USPS

GulAtiCa

5Do1qOB.png

It might just be a tracking bug. As since it's a 1st class mail package, there is almost no way it traveled all the way to the other side of the country in less then a day.

Still, you might want to contact the seller to see where they sent it. lol

depths20XX

Best

Great
Space Megaforce
UN Squadron
R-Type 3

Good
Super R-Type
Axelay
Raiden Trad
Firepower 2000
Space Invaders

Okay to good
Darius Twin
EDF
Phalanx

Not so great

Yeah I still think Gradius III is really good even if it isn't as good as the arcade version. I think Axelay is overrated by most people. The mode 7 levels aren't very good at all in my opinion. I need to find a copy of R-Type III and Space Megaforce. Oh and Raiden Trad, is that one hard to find?

ys45

You got to be kidding me , even the Super Famicom version of Demon's Crest (Demon's Blazon) prices are crazy ....

Going from 150 to 200 $ CIB on eBay .

I think i really need to start collecting loose cart, CIB price are just crazy .

Parallacs

Yeah I still think Gradius III is really good even if it isn't as good as the arcade version. I think Axelay is overrated by most people. The mode 7 levels aren't very good at all in my opinion. I need to find a copy of R-Type III and Space Megaforce. Oh and Raiden Trad, is that one hard to find?

Nah, Raiden Trad is a $8 game. I just don't see it very often in the wild. You probably need to go eBay on that one. A good pickup though since vertical shooters seemed a lot rarer than side scrollers for the SNES.

For Axelay, yeah the mode 7 vertical levels feel awkward. But you get used to it and the boss fights are actually really fun. The side scrolling missions are where the game gets insanely great. Plus, the music and graphics are top notch.

Space Megaforce will be tricky for you to get but I think it is worth it. There are something like 8 weapons and they are all really fun to use. The game can be brutally hard if you lose your upgrades but it has checkpoints so that is cool.

Linkhero1

Last night I decided to clean the area near my closet in order to see if I can find any GB/GBC/GBA games that my have been mixed up with other things and I stumbled upon several SNES CIB games, some of which I was going to buy again.

Mario Paint
Clue
Mario's Time Machine
Bubsy
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Dr. Mario/Tetris

I forgot, but there was one or two more. Glad I didn't have to rebuy any of these. If I can find time to take pics after work, I will.

It might just be a tracking bug. As since it's a 1st class mail package, there is almost no way it traveled all the way to the other side of the country in less then a day.

Still, you might want to contact the seller to see where they sent it. lol

Just heard back from the seller. He said it's the right number and he called the post office and they told him it is coming to Illinois. He said he was told some sorting facilities have been closed down recently so the USPS is all fucked up pretty much while they adjust. Pretty dumb that it has traveled way further than it would have taken to get to me. Oh well, should have it by the end of the week still.

I don't understand who is buying these. If you don't give a shit about the quality of the cart then wouldn't you just play the game on the emulator? Maybe I may off base with that

You could put it in a whole new cart and print a new label: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gKK1mCnErFw/UEkEXHUfHSI/AAAAAAAAENM/RMP3gbY3B74/s1600/Megaman+X3.jpg

You could run into some pissed off buyers if you ever try to sell it, 'cause I'm sure the hardcore collectors will be able to tell the difference. But, if you just want a nice looking copy for your own collection, it's a viable option.

Linkhero1

I don't understand who is buying these. If you don't give a shit about the quality of the cart then wouldn't you just play the game on the emulator? Maybe I may off base with that

Pretty much. I can't do it. Even if it were dirt cheap, I don't think I'd be able to click on BIN

Parallacs

Haha, I would still rather play that... thing than play on emulation. I really hate all the problems that emulation brings up (game speed, controller compat, save state abuse).

But yeah, I hope people avoid games that ugly.

Parallacs

I would buy it if it was cheaper... Then I would try to restore it.

The killer part is where the top right of the label is totally worn away.

The rest of the stickers could be removed and that melted part could be, sanded? I dunno, it is way too much work. I would buy it in a second if it was $40.

My copy of Dracula X has a worn label and it kills me. I want to get a mint copy so bad.

Lettuce

You could put it in a whole new cart and print a new label: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gKK1mCnErFw/UEkEXHUfHSI/AAAAAAAAENM/RMP3gbY3B74/s1600/Megaman+X3.jpg

You could run into some pissed off buyers if you ever try to sell it, 'cause I'm sure the hardcore collectors will be able to tell the difference. But, if you just want a nice looking copy for your own collection, it's a viable option.

Is there a site that has a collection of these cart labels?, after a label for Metal Warriors?

Pretty much. I can't do it. Even if it were dirt cheap, I don't think I'd be able to click on BIN

That's exactly how I feel, I have a bit of OCD about stuff, sometimes I would rather not have it at all than have a fucked up looking game.

I don't want to consider myself a hardcore gamer or anything but to me reprinting the label and putting it in a new cartridge seem too much like repro-carts to me, it makes it less authentic to me. I don't have a problem with repro carts or anything, I just would only get repro carts if the game never had a US release and needed an english translation.

Speaking of repro-carts has anyone tried out Time Walk Games, they actually go all out and reproduce the boxes to some games. I heard one gaffer in the Pick-Up thread have a negative experience with a repro nes cart but was wondering if anyone else tried them out. Really interested in Clock Tower, Gunman's Proof and The Firemen

Linkhero1

Do you have more of these labels? I need one for one of my SMWs. Where can I print these? I need a guide.

spookyfish

Sweet: I just bought a "Used item -- Good" Mini SNES in the box with Yoshi's Island. Except for the, um, bite marks, on the SNES controller, it looks like I will just need to clean the console up a bit.

I have a "phat" SNES, but I've wanted a mini for a while. Shoot -- I was just stoked it came in the (sort of beat up) box.

The SNES I bought from eBay came in today, but it doesn't seem to be working, unfortunately. It powers on, but I don't get any audio or video.

I really hope I didn't buy *another* dud.

Parallacs

The SNES I bought from eBay came in today, but it doesn't seem to be working, unfortunately. It powers on, but I don't get any audio or video.

Something very weird is happening to you. You were the one that bought a system from a friend that didn't work once you got it home right?

I'm starting to think it is your TV. Are you on the right input? Is your TV a 50HZ model or something? Do you have another TV you can test it on?

Whenever I see a cheap SNES at a swap meet, I usually pick it up for a friend. I never worry about them not working because SNESes are tanks.

GulAtiCa

could it be the game? Did you try different games?
Both of my N64 and SNES won't actually work unless the game is working. Sometimes takes me a few minutes to get a less quality game to work.

Linkhero1

Could be your TV like Parallacs suggested. I've never had issues with second-hand SNESes.

Something very weird is happening to you. You were the one that bought a system from a friend that didn't work once you got it home right?

I'm starting to think it is your TV. Are you on the right input? Is your TV a 50HZ model or something? Do you have another TV you can test it on?

Whenever I see a cheap SNES at a swap meet, I usually pick it up for a friend. I never worry about them not working because SNESes are tanks.

Might wanna check the AC adapter or something as well. Just because it will turn on doesn't necessarily mean it's getting the right voltage. Potentially harmful to the hardware as well, I'd try another one if you have one.

I've honestly never heard of this before, but just throwing it out there.

Okay, I'm starting to suspect that the Power Supply may be the issue here after reading about people having similar problems to mine elsewhere. Would a generic AC adapter with the same voltage do the trick if the power supply was indeed the problem? I think I have a few around here somewhere.

Yeah, tested it on three TVs and still nothing. I know SNES are pretty resilient, so that's why I'm thinking I might have (two) faulty AC adapters, which is probably far more likely than getting three non functioning models in a row.

sikkinixx

I finally got my gamebit and opened up my old SNES. Thing turns on fine, the TV does that quick little flash to show it's getting some kind of signal but then nothing. So depressing. Took the whole thing apart, dusted it all off, made sure all the capacitors are looking okay. Looks perfect in there.

Still doesn't work though. *sigh*

-KRS-

could it be the game? Did you try different games?
Both of my N64 and SNES won't actually work unless the game is working. Sometimes takes me a few minutes to get a less quality game to work.

Yes I noticed this recently after getting Excite Bike 64. It took many tries until it finally started, even though I cleaned it very well. And when it didn't work it would only show a black screen and appear to do nothing. I almost thought that I had broken my N64 until I put in another game and it worked without any issues on the first try.

It could also be the TV as some people have said. Or the AC adapter, or the video cable... I'd try different TVs first.

Parallacs

Okay, I'm starting to suspect that the Power Supply may be the issue here after reading about people having similar problems to mine elsewhere. Would a generic AC adapter with the same voltage do the trick if the power supply was indeed the problem? I think I have a few around here somewhere.

Yeah, tested it on three TVs and still nothing. I know SNES are pretty resilient, so that's why I'm thinking I might have (two) faulty AC adapters, which is probably far more likely than getting three non functioning models in a row.

Wow, yeah perhaps. Strange.

You are in the U.S. right?

I finally got my gamebit and opened up my old SNES. Thing turns on fine, the TV does that quick little flash to show it's getting some kind of signal but then nothing. So depressing. Took the whole thing apart, dusted it all off, made sure all the capacitors are looking okay. Looks perfect in there.

Still doesn't work though. *sigh*

This happened with my childhood SNES when I retrieved it a few years back. I was convinced it had died. I finally realized there was a freaking colored pencil in the game slot and that the games weren't fully connecting. If you have taken it apart, I doubt you have that issue. But still, might want to clean up the contact area.

Linkhero1

If you have any other electronic devices plugged into the same outlet, unplug them and try again. I had an issue with my Xbox 360 where it wouldn't turn on unless I unplugged two devices from my power outlet. I live in NA.

Parallacs

Yeah, I'm in the US, tested it on every TV in the house (Two HDTVs and a CRT) Going to go look and see if I have a spare adapter. If not, I guess I'll have to get one online.

Good idea. I would normally recommend you don't get a generic one but you might as well get one of those crappy $2 ones.

Even if it buzzes, at least you know what the problem was and then you can invest in an official power supply.

GulAtiCa

Were you already using a official SNES power supply or at least one advertised for the SNES? Or was this just a generic power supply you just happen to have that happens to fit?

Teknoman

Thats strange...i've honestly never seen any 16bit system that just didnt work (aside from a Genesis 3, but those are flimsy anyway).

Were you already using a official SNES power supply or at least one advertised for the SNES? Or was this just a generic power supply you just happen to have that happens to fit?

Both power supplies I have are official SNES AC Adapters. They have the Nintendo branding on it and everything.

Xtincthed

Neo Member
a tip that is not SNES specific, but is usefull for any collector: don't be shy!

Some of my greatest finds came from putting up ads in the local newspaper asking for retro video games! A lot of people see games as junk and are more than happy to call/email you about what they have and they often wanna part with it for a very low price (my biggest haul was 120 games + 9 consoles in trade for a six pack of beer!)

Top Bottom