• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Peltz

Im absolutely raging with myself at the moment. Blew the internal fuse up in the snes mini due to the stupid crap adapted converter i use. Wanted to play it over the weekend too!

Just had to order some small fuses off ebay but wont arrive till next week now damn it!

My condolences :-(

Bancho

It was bound to happen eventually. The Plug on the end is removable and you can easily switch the polarity of the adapter. Nothing that can't be fix. Just narked no snes for me over the long Easter weekend.

Its just pushed me to make a new adapter with the cable i ripped off a US PSU.

I'll post some pics of the fix for future reference for people.

Im absolutely raging with myself at the moment. Blew the internal fuse up in the snes mini due to the stupid crap adapted converter i use. Wanted to play it over the weekend too!

Just had to order some small fuses off ebay but wont arrive till next week now damn it!

If you're careful not to plug in anything the wrong way you could just bridge fuse with a wire until your new fuses arrive.

Bancho

If you're careful not to plug in anything the wrong way you could just bridge fuse with a wire until your new fuses arrive.

I'll end up doing it again and i'll put it at big risk if i bridge it with the wire. I was distracted at the time by my Son and that's how it ended up getting blown. The plug is very loose and falls off very easy so i don't think i would risk it.

I've ordered 10 fuses for £3 so hoping they will be here sometime next week. I hooked up the PC engine instead and was playing some Super Star Soldier trying to hit the 500k 2min Caravan Score!

Ban Puncher

ODNSE2x.jpg

Hagane, Rockman X3 and Akumajou Dracula (and some other crap because it's a Pick Up Thread photo).

All mint.

All cheap.

Alriiiiiiiiiiiight.

IrishNinja

lookit this guy right here

how's he gonna understand the finer points of MMX3's story details or uncensored Dracula X amirite

totally imported all 3 as well, just loose

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I need topless statues and blasphemous religious imagery in my Super Castlevania IV.

Hmmm me too. It really does seem like a more definitive version. I know I scoff at the European versions of games that are censored (well Protector is kind ironically cool, but...) We're in the same boat when it comes to SCIV.

D.Lo

I need topless statues and blasphemous religious imagery in my Super Castlevania IV.
The removal of religious imagery was always weird. Crosses are not blasphemous, they're positive Christian symbols, very common, and not offensive to any Christians. Especially crosses on graves etc. The cross stuff makes it a 'good Christian warrior vs evil'.

It's sort of like they were politically correct moves to appease Jews or atheists or something. Like the truly ludicrous push to rename AD/BC to CE/BCE despite keeping the exact same Jesus date.

BocoDragon

The removal of religious imagery was always weird. Crosses are not blasphemous, they're positive Christian symbols, very common, and not offensive to any Christians. Especially crosses on graves etc. The cross stuff makes it a 'good Christian warrior vs evil'.

It's sort of like they were politically correct moves to appease Jews or atheists or something. Like the truly ludicrous push to rename AD/BC to CE/BCE despite keeping the exact same Jesus date.

I think you have to look at the context of the 80s and 90s. A Japanese company had to walk on eggshells and carefully re-package their product in order to be sellable in America. There was the WWII thing (certain dregs of American society still bring up Pearl Harbor when Japan is mentioned), and there was the remnant of the view of Japanese products as cheap crap. For our generation, you can think of how Korean products were perceived in the 90s to get a sense of this attitude. Sony used to make the label "made in Japan" so small on their products that the FCC forced them to make it legible.

The logic of Japanese companies was to very carefully screen their products for elements that wouldn't fly in America... and that's why the anime/manga was scrubbed from the box art, why Nintendo had a standards board to screen out the religious and sexy imagery that might spark parental outrage, and why even violent content was toned down (even if a homegrown American product might not have been so worried about all this).

The Japanese game industry perceived themselves as outsiders in the American market, and so they kept a tight lid on content that might potentially upset their sales in this alien market.

Teknoman

Been shopping on Amazon since like 2009 and don't have much trouble at all with retro games I got that had no pics.

Yeah I usually only buy from people with detailed descriptions. Plus it helps that Amazon finally lets you still see the product description on your order. Used to be that you could only see the description before checking out.

That being said, I only got burned once between now and a few years back. Bought a Shining Force 2 that was described as like new with box, but it turned out to be a plastic case with the box cut out to fit around it. But other than that, no real issues, especially from JP sellers (usually turns out better than described and even with boxes).

EDIT: Japanese products were viewed as cheap then? I thought that was the "Japanese products are all hyper advanced" era? I know about the Chinese and Korean product stigma, but didnt think Japanese products went past the 50s.

Mercutio

I can't remember the name of the guy or the exact branch of his religion, but the head of Konami in the USA was instrumental in specifically changing the concepts and symbols in "Demon Castle Dracula." He came up with the name "Castlevania" as an alternative to something with any satanic (demon, etc) reference. It's covered in some depth in Console Wars.

Screenshots with crosses / Christian iconography could be misinterpreted, and public outcry could sink the new Konami enterprises in the USA. I remember a screenshot of a "flaming cross" in SotN causing some minor furor, and that was nearly 10 years after the original.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So there are a ton of scart-cables available on ebay, for a lot of different prices. Any one in particular I should go with if I plan to pick up a Framemeister eventually?

Teknoman

Contra 3 hard mode: Can you still break the top part of the turtle shell? And wtf at the giant terminator. Fire breath too damn fast.

Mercutio

So there are a ton of scart-cables available on ebay, for a lot of different prices. Any one in particular I should go with if I plan to pick up a Framemeister eventually?

I would stick to the retro game cables by the seller in Florida. If you can't find the one you want, they'll do custom. The big question becomes Euro or Japanese RGB21 wiring, which mostly plays into your switchbox needs. It's a real pain in the ass to swap the cable every time you want to switch systems, and there's only one super expensive option for Japanese RGB21 cables. Most people prefer Euro, since the switchers are easier to find.

You do need a different scart to mini rgb cable if you go euro though. The one it comes with is Japanese wiring.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I would stick to the retro game cables by the seller in Florida. If you can't find the one you want, they'll do custom. The big question becomes Euro or Japanese RGB21 wiring, which mostly plays into your switchbox needs. It's a real pain in the ass to swap the cable every time you want to switch systems, and there's only one super expensive option for Japanese RGB21 cables. Most people prefer Euro, since the switchers are easier to find.

You do need a different scart to mini rgb cable if you go euro though. The one it comes with is Japanese wiring.

Yeah, I am going with Euro. So basically this one:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Ninte...620?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259d05bfb4

Anyways, on all the listings, its said to be compatible with the US Snes and the Super Famicom. I have a US Snes and a Pal Snes. Will it not work with the Pal Snes?

Mzo

Contra 3 hard mode: Can you still break the top part of the turtle shell? And wtf at the giant terminator. Fire breath too damn fast.

I'm gonna say yes but I don't remember anymore.

You have to crawl up the wall and over his head, then drop down and around almost immediately. The timing is pretty tight.

Don't forget that double tapping L or R makes you spin faster in the overhead levels and can negate the spinning sand.

Teknoman

I'm gonna say yes but I don't remember anymore.

You have to crawl up the wall and over his head, then drop down and around almost immediately. The timing is pretty tight.

Don't forget that double tapping L or R makes you spin faster in the overhead levels and can negate the spinning sand.

Yeah all my old strategies went right out the window. Feels like a brand new game.

Ban Puncher

Contra 3 is another I need to add to my 'Why Isn't This Obvious Title in Your Collection, Man Puncher?' list.

I ain't playing no goddamn Probotector.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I prefer Probotector to Contra. Something about running around with Appleseed Briareos clones feels cooler than Arnold copies imo. Could be nostalgia speaking for me though since it's what I grew up with.

Rydeen

I prefer Probotector to Contra. Something about running around with Appleseed Briareos clones feels cooler than Arnold copies imo. Could be nostalgia speaking for me though since it's what I grew up with.

It's nostalgia. Not having it be buff Arnold / Stallone clones kills the 80's action movie vibe that the games have been going for since the very beginning. It's the best Arnold Stallone team-up movie never made.

Also just the knowledge that it was done for Germany because of their ridiculous laws about media violence puts a sour taste in my mouth, regardless of the execution.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
It's nostalgia. Not having it be buff Arnold / Stallone clones kills the 80's action movie vibe that the games have been going for since the very beginning. It's the best Arnold Stallone team-up movie never made.

Also just the knowledge that it was done for Germany because of their ridiculous laws about media violence puts a sour taste in my mouth, regardless of the execution.

Meh, you can be mad about it all you want. I love the change. Thanks, Germany!

After recently getting my SNES games out of storage, I realized I have no idea how to properly clean the labels for them. What does GAF recommend?

I use a two-step process for sticker residue. First, take a clean wash cloth and moisten it with water as hot as your faucet will go. Wring most of the excess water, fold once or twice and place it firmly over the gunk for several seconds. Gently but firmly start to rub and wipe away what you can. Repeat as necessary to get the major gunk off. Second, use some rubbing alcohol on a paper towel and gently but firmly wipe away the stickiest stuff that's still left. Repeat if necessary. Plain old toothpicks work well for cleaning gunk out of the ridges on the sides of the cart. They're firm enough to scrape out dirt but soft enough that they won't scratch the plastic.

Do be careful because you can damage the label is you're really rough. But intact SNES and NES glossy labels should not be affected by some moisture and rubbing alcohol, if used sparingly. If there are rips or tears in the label, that's a different story.

Never use alcohol on a Genesis labels. Those don't have the glossy coat on top and therefore will instantly fade and get damaged when you wipe them with alcohol. Found that one out the hard way.

I feel like a lot of later SNES titles don't have the gloss. Or at least as much. I don't touch them with alcohol
Interesting. Guess I haven't run into those much. But I only have like 20 SNES games. Prices have prohibited me from really diving in for years now. I have the carts I really really want.

-KRS-

I thought it was the majesto reprints that had the non-shiny label? Chrono Trigger is made in mexico and is shiny.

I think the Majesco ones also say Made in Mexico though. I have a Super Pitfall that's made in Mexico and its label is non-shiny. The back label is also similarly non-shiny, and when I tried to clean what looked like a shit-stain on it the part I cleaned became completely white. So yeah, don't use alcohol on those labels.

Edit: No sorry, I just looked and it says "Assembled in Mexico".

Never use alcohol on a Genesis labels. Those don't have the glossy coat on top and therefore will instantly fade and get damaged when you wipe them with alcohol. Found that one out the hard way.
My friend did that with a Hyperstone Heist cartridge... yeah. :(

I thought it was the majesto reprints that had the non-shiny label? Chrono Trigger is made in mexico and is shiny.

This was my understanding. Reprints had the non-shiny labels. Later games that were only ever made in Mexico still had high quality labels, like Chrono Trigger and Dracula X.

Ouch on that Hyperstone Heist. And yes, I should have mentioned not to use alcohol on the rear labels. I've done it, but very gently. They just don't have a gloss like the front labels.

D.Lo

In terms of anime, Probotector is basically a straight clone of Patlabor.

I do love how they did a really good job with the Probo games. Promo 1 and 2 have boxart right up there with Konami's best, seemingly done by the same artist(s).

But anyway, whydontwehaveboth.jpg

BocoDragon

The probotectors should be part of Contra canon as seperate characters. They do have pretty cool designs.

They appear in Contra 4, so I think Konami would acknowledge them in future Contra properties (were Konami not a shadow of its former self).

Snake's Revenge should also be part of Metal Gear canon! (not)

dcx4610

Finally picked up a Super Famicom for the first time. I remember growing up and being envious of the design versus the American SNES.

Does anyone recommend a decent but affordable SFC to SNES converter cartridge? From what I understand, they are simple pass through devices with no hardware other than pins involved. Is this accurate and are most compatible with games like Star Fox with special chips?

Mercutio

Finally picked up a Super Famicom for the first time. I remember growing up and being envious of the design versus the American SNES.

Does anyone recommend a decent but affordable SFC to SNES converter cartridge? From what I understand, they are simple pass through devices with no hardware other than pins involved. Is this accurate and are most compatible with games like Star Fox with special chips?

The SFC and SNES have exactly the same pin layout. Your adapter would need full support for the extra chip fingers on FX / special chip games though. Most people use the SNES because it's far easier to mod for imports.

Bancho

WARNING!! A NUMBER OF PICTURES BELOW!

Well i got round to repairing my Snes Mini today as the fuses arrived.

This is the evil thing that caused me to blow up my Snes!

20150407_194823.jpg

I had the original US PSU and seeing as it was no good to me here in the UK i chopped the end off and made this.

20150407_195617.jpg

With that sorted i then proceeded to change the fuse in the SNES.

This being the culprit
20150407_190015.jpg

The Replacements 1.5amp Brick Fuse
20150407_190319.jpg

Removed
20150407_191058.jpg

Replaced
20150407_191800.jpg

SUCCESS!
20150407_192552.jpg

Glad it all went smoothly. All in about 20 mins work and i can now enjoy my SNES without worrying about blowing the bloody thing up. Fortunately the weather was nice over the Easter holiday so spent most of it out the house lol

TheMoon

WARNING!! COUPLE OF PICTURES BELOW!

Well i got round to repairing my Snes Mini today as the fuses arrived.

This is the evil thing that caused me to blow up my Snes!

20150407_194823.jpg

I had the original US PSU and seeing as it was no good to me here in the UK i chopped the end off and made this.

20150407_195617.jpg

Dat moment when you see this color and immediately go "YOSHI!" ...

desk_jockey

Neo Member
I have been lurking on here for a few years. I am finally at a point where I am only going after the more expensive games now. Anyway, here is my collection. All my games are CIB. Not pictured is SMW and Earthbound. I don't have boxes for those. Any major titles that you think are a must in a collection that I don't have?

20150328_173406_zpsfnqr4c9i.jpg

20150328_174033_zpsvcxp4wrb.jpg

20150328_174344_zps26mvwsdu.jpg

All nice and neat in their cabinet:
20150328_175320_zpslua9kltd.jpg

My entire collection:
20150328_175307_zpsgx5t792n.jpg

TheMoon

I have been lurking on here for a few years. I am finally at a point where I am only going after the more expensive games now. Anyway, here is my collection. All my games are CIB. Not pictured is SMW and Earthbound. I don't have boxes for those. Any major titles that you think are a must in a collection that I don't have?

20150328_173406_zpsfnqr4c9i.jpg

20150328_174033_zpsvcxp4wrb.jpg

20150328_174344_zps26mvwsdu.jpg

So after I fainted and regained consciousness, I noticed that you're missing Yoshi's Island. Fix that! (or did I not see it?)

desk_jockey

Neo Member
Great collection, are some of those reproductions and not the originals (eg. Terranigma)

The only reproduction I have is Terranigma. I love that game and really wanted a box to display. I have been thinking about getting Parallel Worlds remodel and Chrono Trigger Crimson Echoes, but want to complete my 'real' games collection first.

desk_jockey

Neo Member
So after I fainted and regained consciousness, I noticed that you're missing Yoshi's Island. Fix that! (or did I not see it?)

I played Yoshi's island when it came out. I still remember the crying noise baby Mario makes when he gets knocked off of a Yoshi. I probably should replay it, but the game did not leave me with the best impression all those years ago.

Top Bottom