• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Peltz

I played Yoshi's island when it came out. I still remember the crying noise baby Mario makes when he gets knocked off of a Yoshi. I probably should replay it, but the game did not leave me with the best impression all those years ago.

It's a fantastic game. I highly recommend it.

I have been lurking on here for a few years. I am finally at a point where I am only going after the more expensive games now. Anyway, here is my collection. All my games are CIB. Not pictured is SMW and Earthbound. I don't have boxes for those. Any major titles that you think are a must in a collection that I don't have?

20150328_173406_zpsfnqr4c9i.jpg

20150328_174033_zpsvcxp4wrb.jpg

20150328_174344_zps26mvwsdu.jpg

Incredible collection man. Seeing that TMNT IV complete in box makes me woozy.

I have been lurking on here for a few years. I am finally at a point where I am only going after the more expensive games now. Anyway, here is my collection. All my games are CIB. Not pictured is SMW and Earthbound. I don't have boxes for those. Any major titles that you think are a must in a collection that I don't have?

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o568/shengel01/Video%20Games/20150328_173406_zpsfnqr4c9i.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o568/shengel01/Video%20Games/20150328_174033_zpsvcxp4wrb.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o568/shengel01/Video%20Games/20150328_174344_zps26mvwsdu.jpg[IMG]

All nice and neat in their cabinet:
[IMG]http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o568/shengel01/Video%20Games/20150328_175320_zpslua9kltd.jpg[IMG]

My entire collection:
[IMG]http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o568/shengel01/Video%20Games/20150328_175307_zpsgx5t792n.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

It has been a while since I have been so incredibly jelly. My biggest regret for my SNES collection is that I only have 2 boxed games left, and that the prices are too high to really go for them now.

I played Yoshi's island when it came out. I still remember the crying noise baby Mario makes when he gets knocked off of a Yoshi. I probably should replay it, but the game did not leave me with the best impression all those years ago.

It's really great, and it should literally take you a second to get Baby Mario back so you don't even hear his crying anyway.

desk_jockey

Neo Member
It has been a while since I have been so incredibly jelly. My biggest regret for my SNES collection is that I only have 2 boxed games left, and that the prices are too high to really go for them now.

The prices have really gone stupid. I did most of my collecting a few years back, always cib. Some games I have had since new, but not many. I really hate seeing the prices go so high but I am glad to have got what I did when I did.

Rich!

The prices have really gone stupid. I did most of my collecting a few years back, always cib. Some games I have had since new, but not many. I really hate seeing the prices go so high but I am glad to have got what I did when I did.

heh yeah.

anyway, get yoshi's island! do what I did and get the japanese SFC version. It'll work on your USA SNES if you either cut the tabs or use a passthrough device like an action replay

it only cost me £10 for a fully complete and boxed japanese yoshi's island. and yes, it's an AMAZING game.

Mzo

Depends on what you like I guess, but there are still plenty of worthwhile US releases to get, let alone Japanese imports.

If you're going CIB only, though, a lot of the games you're missing are too far gone IMO like Harvest Moon, Hagane, X3, Final Fight Guy/2/3, Metal Warriors and Lufia II.

I think the Super Scope games are pretty rad and really affordable: Battle Clash, Metal Combat, Tin Star and Yoshi's Safari.

The Star Wars trilogy and Indiana Jones's Greatest Adventures games are pretty good as well, though slightly unpolished.

Batman Returns is a pretty great beat-'em-up. Pac-Man 2 is a really cute adventure game on the system.

The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse is also a good platformer along with it's sequel, the Great Circus Mystery. The 3rd game is Japan only, though.

If we're talking imports, which are ridiculously easy to play on an SNES, I'd say go for Umihara Kawase, Rockman and Forte, Mario's Picross, and Mario and Wario just to scratch the surface.

SNES is, on balance, my favorite console. I was 12 when it came out so it hits the mark on "formative years" for me. But I started NES collecting in the late 90s and never thought much about SNES because it wasn't as "old" and I had more pure nostalgia for NES, which was my first console. I currently collect CIB NES games but don't focus on SNES and when I do it's pretty just cart only. I got the ones I wanted several years ago before prices went bonkers.

desk_jockey

Neo Member
Depends on what you like I guess, but there are still plenty of worthwhile US releases to get, let alone Japanese imports.

If you're going CIB only, though, a lot of the games you're missing are too far gone IMO like Harvest Moon, Hagane, X3, Final Fight Guy/2/3, Metal Warriors and Lufia II.

I think the Super Scope games are pretty rad and really affordable: Battle Clash, Metal Combat, Tin Star and Yoshi's Safari.

The Star Wars trilogy and Indiana Jones's Greatest Adventures games are pretty good as well, though slightly unpolished.

Batman Returns is a pretty great beat-'em-up. Pac-Man 2 is a really cute adventure game on the system.

The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse is also a good platformer along with it's sequel, the Great Circus Mystery. The 3rd game is Japan only, though.

If we're talking imports, which are ridiculously easy to play on an SNES, I'd say go for Umihara Kawase, Rockman and Forte, Mario's Picross, and Mario and Wario just to scratch the surface.

Thanks for the great suggestions! I completely forgot about Batman Returns and Mickey, both above average games. I have not played those in many years.

I play on an hd crt tv, so light gun games are out for me. :(

My short list includes Ogre Battle (never played it), Lufia 2 (its been years), and Dracula X (meh compared to sc IV). I will have to settle for a cart only Dracula X. :(

desk_jockey

Neo Member
SNES is, on balance, my favorite console. I was 12 when it came out so it hits the mark on "formative years" for me. But I started NES collecting in the late 90s and never thought much about SNES because it wasn't as "old" and I had more pure nostalgia for NES, which was my first console. I currently collect CIB NES games but don't focus on SNES and when I do it's pretty just cart only. I got the ones I wanted several years ago before prices went bonkers.

I was born in 81, so the snes was the system I played most when I was young. It is by far my favorite system.

Thanks to everyone who gave me tips to clean my SNES carts, they're like brand new now :).

Now I just need to get a decent CRT TV and I'll be all set.

Dishwalla

Banned
I've been hearing that many Goodwills haven't been accepting donations of CRT televisions/monitors recently, so it may or may not be difficult to find them there now.

If you were anywhere near Hampton Roads Virginia I'd offer a CRT, have two of them sitting in a storage unit(at least I hope they still work).

I've been hearing that many Goodwills haven't been accepting donations of CRT televisions/monitors recently

Same here in Maryland. They have signs on the door about it, noting that they get too many sets in non-working condition and that the cost to dispose of them properly is too high.

desk_jockey

Neo Member
I've been hearing that many Goodwills haven't been accepting donations of CRT televisions/monitors recently, so it may or may not be difficult to find them there now.

If you were anywhere near Hampton Roads Virginia I'd offer a CRT, have two of them sitting in a storage unit(at least I hope they still work).

In my area, Goodwills no, Salvation Armys, yes.

Bar81

Can anyone give an opinion on Cybernator? I've been thinking of adding it to the collection.

Awesome game but get an English language repro/play the JP version (it's called Assault Suits Valken) with English patch to get the full uncensored/unbutchered version.

Just picked up Assault Suits Valken last week in Denden town. I need to pop it in and give it a try. I had only played Cybernator years ago.

kronose

Banned
WARNING!! A NUMBER OF PICTURES BELOW!

Well i got round to repairing my Snes Mini today as the fuses arrived.

This is the evil thing that caused me to blow up my Snes!

SUCCESS!
20150407_192552.jpg

Is that a Sony PVM/BVM? Was it easy to find and do you mind if I asked what you shelled out for it? PM me if possible ;).

Is that a Sony PVM/BVM? Was it easy to find and do you mind if I asked what you shelled out for it? PM me if possible ;).

Another question for him would be; what is the deal with the control unit on top of it when that model of PVM doesn't come with, or require, it? Must have a BVM hiding around as well.

Bancho

Yeah its a PVM 20m4e. 20" 800TVL model. I got it off ebay. I'm in the UK and they are on ebay all the time. I paid £35 for that particular set.

Another question for him would be; what is the deal with the control unit on top of it when that model of PVM doesn't come with, or require, it? Must have a BVM hiding around as well.

I bought it for £1.20 off ebay. I see a lot of BVMs with no control panel crop up for auction and i bought it on the off chance a bvm might crop up cheap minus control panel and i would have one available when one shows up at the right price.

Azzurri

So I headed over to ebay to see prices of three games I bought a year or two back and they have doubled to tripled in price.

Demons Crest

Chrono Trigger: I actually bought this game over 7 years ago for like $60 which was a lot at the time, it's now $300.

Pocky and Rocky

All 3 CiB

So I headed over to ebay to see prices of three games I bought a year or two back and they have doubled to tripled in price.

Demons Crest

Chrono Trigger: I actually bought this game over 7 years ago for like $60 which was a lot at the time, it's now $300.

Pocky and Rocky

All 3 CiB

#RetirementFund

D.Lo

Hell, another 30 years and they'll be worth 5k each at this rate.
That's how antiques work. And that's basically what these will become.

I was amused by this thought. My town has many 'hip' antique shops. My girlfriend's parents love antique shopping for things from the 50s/60s, including children's items from that time. Famicom/NES games are just a couple of decades away form that.

Complete in near perfect condition required for top values however.

Straight AES territory
AES is a bit different, because they were insanely expensive at release too, and therefore much more exclusive and rare.

Mercutio

I can't wait to see videos of people in this thread on Antiques Roadshow in 50 years.

I love the stupid little wands that they point at things with, to avoid touching them. Should I be one of the "experts" someday, I'll use a vintage plastic Harry Potter wand. An important cultural treasure in its own right.

20150328_173406_zpsfnqr4c9i.jpg

20150328_174033_zpsvcxp4wrb.jpg

20150328_174344_zps26mvwsdu.jpg

All nice and neat in their cabinet:
20150328_175320_zpslua9kltd.jpg

My entire collection:
20150328_175307_zpsgx5t792n.jpg

Gawd damn what a collection.

Cheerilee

I can't wait to see videos of people in this thread on Antiques Roadshow in 50 years.

This unopened Rosalina Amiibo would normally be worth $500,000, but it has increased appeal due to your unique provenance, since you have exclusive "eye phone" video of your entire eight hour camp at night on the streets outside of Target. Recorded vertically, of course, which was the fashion of the time. For insurances purposes, I would say this should be appraised for $1,000,000, or approximately the same value today for that extinct coffee which you casually drank in the video. If only you had known... an entire preserved can of coffee could have funded your entire youth-cloning procedure.

This unopened Rosalina Amiibo would normally be worth $500,000, but it has increased appeal due to your unique provenance, since you have exclusive "eye phone" video of your entire eight hour camp at night on the streets outside of Target. Recorded vertically, of course, which was the fashion of the time. For insurances purposes, I would say this should be appraised for $1,000,000, or approximately the same value today for that extinct coffee which you casually drank in the video. If only you had known... an entire preserved can of coffee could have funded your entire youth-cloning procedure.
This post is hilarious.

IrishNinja

Latest get....

Trying to work out if any other of the 'crush' series of games came out on the snes!?

nice! this one's high on my import list

jesus christ almost spit my drink

Mercutio

God damned shame that inflation will devalue the dollar so that $100,000 in the future equals today's $1.

Mercutio

I dont see it as a good thing. Gamestop sees it as a profitable market which means more exposure. More exposure means higher prices.

It's going to be a black hole that a large part of the retro game market vanishes into. And God only knows what "refurbishment" through them means. They might destroy or discard things their monkeys can't get working.

Top Bottom