• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Leonsito

Haha brutal, but true. Stuff like that is more academic, for tinkerers trying to make 'the ultimate machine', it's far easier and cheaper to simply have two console ultimately.

Just grab a cheap Super Fami and a game or two to start with then. You'll get in the 60Hz game for under $50 delivered.

Alternatively, if you have a bunch of PAL games already, get a simple 60Hz modded PAL SNES. It's a very simple mod almost anyone could do, and you could run most of your current library at 60Hz.

Cheap retro gaming in Spain is like finding an Unicorn, it's full of scalpers and everyone thinks that their shitty old gameboy is worth 150€

I ended buying the SNES Mini, it will be great to just have this one plugged onto my TV, and liked the RGB and SuperCIC mods, it's in great condition too, will post pics when I have it.

Now to start collection NTSC games, Europe missed a lot of them, aside from the classic Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, FFIV and Mario RPG, any more recomendations?

Olly88

Just played (and finished) Miracle Girls. It's quite short but it's actually quite nice to have a SNES game that can be completed in one relatively short sitting. It's still a little challenging in places, so it's not a complete breeze, which is nice.

It looks and sounds great too. Especially how it looks, I love the style.

Beat Indiana Jones (on easy). If only they had put a password system into the Star Wars games...

The second and third Super Star Wars games do have password save systems. Only the first one doesn't. (The second game is super-hard despite this, though... but at least if you beat a level it'll save your progress if you write down the password.)

psylah

Playing Super Metroid for the first time.

I was a Sega kid growing up, and this game more than anything else on the SNES makes me feel like I missed out.

Playing Super Metroid for the first time.

I was a Sega kid growing up, and this game more than anything else on the SNES makes me feel like I missed out.

Super Metroid is my favorite SNES game. It's a masterpiece!
You may have missed out back then, but I feel the game has aged extremely well, and is just as enjoyable today.

Yeah, I'd say the Genesis offers a lot, but not the absolute masterpieces of top, top tier SNES titles such as SM

Now you can enjoy the best of both worlds

Lettuce

The mickey trilogy, been too long since ive purchased some SFC games. Not bad for £30 delivered from Japan....

5YAodN8.jpg

Long story short. I owned a small indie store and had to close it down. I have thousands of old games. NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, PS2, Xbox games. Most of them are dupes of not the greatest games. What is the best way to get rid of them?

Peltz

Long story short. I owned a small indie store and had to close it down. I have thousands of old games. NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, PS2, Xbox games. Most of them are dupes of not the greatest games. What is the best way to get rid of them?

Give them to people on GAF for the price of shipping?

Your store doesn't like Gamecube or Saturn? Anyway, list them on the BST thread Follow the rules and you'll make a lot of friends.

Your store doesn't like Gamecube or Saturn? Anyway, list them on the BST thread Follow the rules and you'll make a lot of friends.

Tons of Saturn, and Gamecube stuff too. I came across a loose copy of Tales of Sympohonia and a japanese keyboard controller for GC just now. Gamegear, Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Intellevision, collecovision.... wayyyyy too much stuff.

I might post, but honestly its too much to shipout piece meal. I need to get rid of these boxes a few at a time at least.. Two bedrooms full to the ceiling with boxes of games, consoles, wires/AC adapters and controllers and accessories. Man, if someone wanted to start up a used game store, I have everything ready to go.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Tons of Saturn, and Gamecube stuff too. I came across a loose copy of Tales of Sympohonia and a japanese keyboard controller for GC just now. Gamegear, Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Intellevision, collecovision.... wayyyyy too much stuff.

I might post, but honestly its too much to shipout piece meal. I need to get rid of these boxes a few at a time at least.. Two bedrooms full to the ceiling with boxes of games, consoles, wires/AC adapters and controllers and accessories. Man, if someone wanted to start up a used game store, I have everything ready to go.

Why not just sell them to somebody who already runs a used game store?

Mercutio

Where are you located? I have a friend who runs a used game store in Brooklyn, and might be interested in buying it all, or at least very large chunks of it. Shoot me a PM, let's see if we can get you guys in touch with each other.

if you do end up taking inventory, I'm sure you'll be able to get a bit of cash off some of the cream of the lot. You're definitely right that the less well-liked stuff isn't worth shipping out individually, though.

I'm back to building out my NES collection and I'm always interested in SNES, too. If you hit the BST thread make sure to post a link in these retro threads. I would likely be interested in buying a lot of my own selection. That would be a great offer, though you'd probably want to set a minimum number of games purchased.

Good luck with it!

There are tons of low-end SNES and NES games I'm interested in

What's a reasonable price to pay for a non/limited yellowed SNES console? Ebay prices be crazy and I don't want to get ripped off.

I see decent deals for about $30 BIN pop up every so often, especially console only. If you've never owned one before, bear in mind that the AC Adapter and controllers can be relatively pricey as well. A reasonable amount to pay for a non-yellowed working console that comes with all hookups and at least one controller is probably about 50 bucks.

I'll be honest, the best deals will probably be on craigslist or some local shop. eBay should only be used as a last resort for an item as common as that. SNES consoles are fairly easy to find in the wild for cheap.

edit: Yup, a quick look at my local craigslist reveals somebody selling a SNES mini for about $45 with hookups and controller. And that goes for a bit more than the standard model. Neat-O.

Peltz

What's a reasonable price to pay for a non/limited yellowed SNES console? Ebay prices be crazy and I don't want to get ripped off.

$30-50 depending on condition sounds reasonable in my opinion. I actually think eBay's BIN prices on most old Nintendo consoles is pretty reasonable.

Teknoman

I think you should post a saturn lot in the saturn thread. I'm sure someone would jump on it off the bat. Same with gamecube.

I think you should post a saturn lot in the saturn thread. I'm sure someone would jump on it off the bat. Same with gamecube.

Unless it's 100 copies of Tommy Lasorda's Baseball, I'm fairly certain someone would bite on the entire Saturn lot. Saturn stuff is like unicorn dust these days.

ZealousD

even if it's trash, cats watch saturn games to poach the fragile-ass cases as replacements

Yeah, even the cheapest ass game is worth $10 if the case is solid.

But let's be honest. Used game store = case in a million pieces.

ZealousD

So I was at a con today and saw somebody doing something weird as heck.

They gutted Super Game Boys and Game Boy Games, and stuck them inside SNES cartridges. Then they printed out custom labels and put them on. They essentially made repro-like versions of Game Boy games that played on the SNES.

a1HEktr.jpg

Olly88

They gutted Super Game Boys and Game Boy Games, and stuck them inside SNES cartridges. Then they printed out custom labels and put them on. They essentially made repro-like versions of Game Boy games that played on the SNES.

a1HEktr.jpg

I saw something like that on Reddit before - http://imgur.com/a/dOHF8

I'd like to have a few Game Boy games like that TBH.

I really wouldn't. You lose the ability to play the game on anything other than a SNES, and also lock a Super Game Boy into only ever playing one game from then on. Lose-lose.

I really wouldn't. You lose the ability to play the game on anything other than a SNES, and also lock a Super Game Boy into only ever playing one game from then on. Lose-lose.

Yeah, I don't really understand the appeal, either. I guess if you collect SNES games but don't like GB games it could be appealing, but that's certainly not me.

TheMoon

a1HEktr.jpg

Ugh, stop killing the cartridges :(

Palom

I just bought this games from 1€ each, i don't even know what the hell they are, anyone can help me identify them?

IMG_20150329_193455.jpg

Man, I'm really getting sick of Google trying to give me shopping results for shit I search for. Had to use Bing to find these.

The one on the left is Jissen Pachinko Hisshoho Gindama or Gindama Oyakata no Jissen Pachinko Hisshouhou by Sammy Studios in 1995.

Second is J-League Soccer: Prime Goal 2 by Namco in 1994.

The other boxed game is Mini-Yonku Shining Scorpion: Let's & Go!! by KID Corporation in 1996.

Der Langrisser is the SNES version of Langrisser II, the sequel to Warsong on the Genesis. The PC-FX version coincidentally just appeared on the latest Game Sack.

a1HEktr.jpg

Wow that actually sounds pretty cool. Too bad it can't be done with GBC.

Leonsito

I recognize Der Langrisser. SRPG series that Warsong was a part of

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/langrisser/langrisser.htm

And I'd wager the first one is a pachinko game

Man, I'm really getting sick of Google trying to give me shopping results for shit I search for. Had to use Bing to find these.

The one on the left is Jissen Pachinko Hisshoho Gindama or Gindama Oyakata no Jissen Pachinko Hisshouhou by Sammy Studios in 1995.

Second is J-League Soccer: Prime Goal 2 by Namco in 1994.

The other boxed game is Mini-Yonku Shining Scorpion: Let's & Go!! by KID Corporation in 1996.

Der Langrisser is the SNES version of Langrisser II, the sequel to Warsong on the Genesis. The PC-FX version coincidentally just appeared on the latest Game Sack.

Thanks for the names, at least they were cheap. Langrisser looks the best one, The slot-car one is ... bizarre lol

Top Bottom