• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Even beyond that, what good do boobs do on something like eBay? Like, you could make the argument that in a physical store or booth selling things, they might entice someone to come over and browse what is there. But on a site like eBay, I generally search for what I want, and the picture of the item doesn't even factor in until after I have looked at the prices of things. I would be fairly shocked if there has ever been someone willing to pay more for the same game in the same condition because one of them had boobs in the picture.

Unless you just want to show off your assets I guess, maybe she is rather proud of them. In which case, good for her.

Was going to say that as well. Maybe just a voyeur. Like the people that would have reflections of themselves nude in listing pics. Haven't seen that for a while though.

entremet

And everyone's always like "Oh, the bottom's gonna fall out soon."

But it just hasn't yet. It just keeps spiraling up.

I don get it. No one is making new carts and boxes. Of course it's gonna get more expensive. I'm just so surprised after bowing out for half a year or so.

Super Metroid cart only is 65 bucks?!

That game got a big print run too.

Mercutio

I don get it. No one is making new carts and boxes. Of course it's gonna get more expensive. I'm just so surprised after bowing out for half a year or so.

Super Metroid cart only is 65 bucks?!

That game got a big print run too.

I passed it up for $30 a year ago. Oops.

This is why I bought Magical Chase for the PCE recently though. It's an actual rarity, and that price won't go down anytime soon. Hell I don't think I could be angry if it did... Everyone should be able to have it and play it. Damned masterpiece it is.

Estocolmo

Im going to start collecting SNES games (PAL) from now on.

- Buying used games from Ebay. How big is the chance that the cartridges are broken in some way?

- And if the language in a game is in german, is it possible to change to english or is it unchangeable?

TheMoon

- And if the language in a game is in german, is it possible to change to english or is it unchangeable?

That depends entirely on the game. Back then, simple games with little text were often multilingual (like DKC series, Super Metroid) but big RPGs had country-specific ROMs with that country's language only on them (like ALTTP, Secret of Mana, Terranigma, Illusion of Time, Lufia, etc).

I suggest hitting up ROM sites to see which ROMs are available since they usually list them by language. That's where they come in handy if you wanna find out what game is available in what languages.

Mercutio

- Buying used games from Ebay. How big is the chance that the cartridges are broken in some way?

I've had cartridges in very rough shape that wouldn't run out of the box, but I've never had one I couldn't restore with q-tips, erasers, and rubbing alcohol. SNES carts are pretty easy to take apart and restore if necessary. They're also the easiest to change the batteries on.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Glad to know I'm not just burnt out on the game lol. I know BoF IV and V really deliver. What about II and III?

II is probably my favorite, but I haven't really given IV and V a chance. III kind of drags on storywise, but is worth it for the music and atmosphere. I really like the mix of 2d/3d.

I have played some of 2 and 4 and I feel like the games are just a bit on the slow side. Not necessarily a bad thing but it could certain turn some folks off.

Rich!

right, I did a bit of browsing earlier whilst sitting around bored, and decided on my plan for my HDMI out SNES/pi hybrid.

Firstly, I'll need another Raspberry Pi. £28 right now for the model B 2 on amazon, so that's not bad. I'll also need this cool little device which allows me to directly hook it up to real SNES ports via the GPIO pins. I'll also be able to wire it up to the LED, power switch and reset button on the actual SNES console.

On the back of the console in place of the standard ports (but still seamless), I will have an HDMI socket, USB power input and a USB socket. The Pi will be mounted inside the SNES casing itself, and have a 64gb SD, and a bluetooth USB dongle. Not sure where I'll place the LAN cable socket yet...

Once that's done, I'll have a nifty little emulation box that outputs in HDMI and has an authentic SNES feel (including real controller support!) The next step in the future would be to hook up a retrode and mount it inside in the cart slot for real carts.

Anyway. I'll wait until pay-day on Friday, and then I'll put this plan into action. The hardest part is gonna be finding a PAL SNES/SFC console that is cheap enough but still in great condition. I'm not going to want to keep the motherboard...hm.

meanspartan

I understand that the point of the book was Nintendo and Sega as we saw it in the USA, and the didn't want to complicate things, but I'd like to hear if any earlier version of the book had more information about the PC Engine and its role in the Japanese market during the 16-Bit era. After all, Sega was a distant third there.

I am so sorry, I owe you an apology. I scrolled down to far when I checked here for questions and didn't notice this one in my hurry.

And it would have been a damn good question to ask too, shit.

Being playing my SNES with S-video on my CRT (it's a beauty) and just 100% both YI and SMW.

9atJict.jpg

07LLkmF.jpg

Feels good.

someone on instagram posted some trade in prices for his snes games at gamestop

i expected much worse, to get $14.50 for donkey kong country 1 is not bad, i am to lazy to trade/sell online so the temptation is getting high :p

Before I start taking everything apart does anyone know if it is/isn't possible to play the US version of Starfox on a Super Famicom using the pro action replay 1 as a bridge. I'm getting sound but a black screen. Console is SUPERCIC modded if that makes any odds.

Timu

Damn, I almost did a no death run on the last stage of Contra 3 on hard...man I'm getting better at the game surprisingly enough.

Before I start taking everything apart does anyone know if it is/isn't possible to play the US version of Starfox on a Super Famicom using the pro action replay 1 as a bridge. I'm getting sound but a black screen. Console is SUPERCIC modded if that makes any odds.

To quote myself, convertors don't work with super fx apparently.

Plan B was "hack the fuck out of the slot with a Stanley knife" which was accomplished with only minor injuries sustained. However the game still didn't fit :/

Plan C was to just remove the PCB and use that. That worked.

v1perz53

Thise are some quality titiles they're coughing up for a game like, Mortal Kombat X.

Well in the comments he does mention that they were all doubles of titles he already owns, but also said he felt bad about sending them to GameStop where they will eventually be sold for double the price instead of putting them up for sale/trade directly.

I've got nearly 450 SNES and NES carts, and every single one works. Some needed Brasso, and most needed alcohol, but they always work

Ban Puncher

To quote myself, convertors don't work with super fx apparently.

Plan B was "hack the fuck out of the slot with a Stanley knife" which was accomplished with only minor injuries sustained. However the game still didn't fit :/

Plan C was to just remove the PCB and use that. That worked.

There are converters that work with SFX.

PAR1 is old as fuck though and won't do it.

Easiest rule of thumb is to look for a converter that takes and puts out the two extra side chips on a SNES cartridge.

Even easier is to remove the top of the console or widen the slot if you're doing NTSC/J to NTSC/U.

D.Lo

There are converters that work with SFX.

PAR1 is old as fuck though and won't do it.

Easiest rule of thumb is to look for a converter that takes and puts out the two extra side chips on a SNES cartridge.

Even easier is to remove the top of the console or widen the slot if you're doing NTSC/J to NTSC/U.
Yep I have a Super FX converter.

The only game it doesn't work with is Mario RPG.

desk_jockey

Neo Member
CIB collectors, how do you store your manuals and inserts? I have been using clear slim dvd cases but thats become cumbersome now that my collection is large. I want to be able to get at the manuals easy. I also like to keep all the posters/inserts/maps with the manuals. Keeping them in the boxes is not an option as I keep my boxes in protectors and try not to open those.

There must be a better way than dvd cases. . .

Ban Puncher

CIB collectors, how do you store your manuals and inserts? I have been using clear slim dvd cases but thats become cumbersome now that my collection is large. I want to be able to get at the manuals easy. I also like to keep all the posters/inserts/maps with the manuals. Keeping them in the boxes is not an option as I keep my boxes in protectors and try not to open those.

Accordion folder?

Olly88

A few new ones from recently;

I've got a loose Pugsley but I love the game so wanted a complete copy. I also have a PAL version of Yoshi's Island but I had to get a SFC version with it being my favourite game of all time, plus the box is awesome.

Just tried out Donkey Kong 3 and it seems good so far. From the little I've played it seems to contain more characters to talk to, and the map seems like it might be a bit more in depth, so hopefully with it being in Japanese I don't have too much trouble with those. I was a bit surprised to hear Mario 64's castle theme in it, then I realised Wrinkly was playing the N64, which was pretty cool.

Mzo

I keep it all together with the more expensive stuff in box protectors.

When I want to play and read through something I open it up and do it. I don't play every game every day (or even every year) so it hasn't been an issue.

Timu

Hard mode will make you question your skills.
It's so true because the game is just nuts at times with certain enemies, minibosses and bosses but I'm doing a hell of a lot better than years ago. I now pretty much need to work on the stage 3 boss and most of stage 4 and I should be set.

D.Lo

Normal mode is the most balanced as well.

That was the weird era when Konami added a difficulty selection to all their games, but clearly the games were tuned for Normal and then just had some enemies/bullets removed/added and damage adjusted for hard/easy. The patterns make the most sense in Normal.

Timu

to dissuade rentals
Oh yeah that does make sense as they will force you to buy it to actually complete it!

Normal mode is the most balanced as well.

That was the weird era when Konami added a difficulty selection to all their games, but clearly the games were tuned for Normal and then just had some enemies/bullets removed/added and damage adjusted for hard/easy. The patterns make the most sense in Normal.
Yeah I notice this in Sunset Riders, where they sometimes even shoot exactly where you're going at in advance.

Top Bottom