• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

The sad thing is, those are probably still better than eBay prices at this point.

Seriously, Mega Man VII was $150 when I last looked around a year ago, and if these threads have taught me anything, it's that anything vaguely valuable will have doubled its price within a year whenever I turn my head away.

Ban Puncher

I bought Mega Man 7 for $50 AUS brand new, finished it, didn't much care for it and got rid of it back in the day.

I ain't ever paying more than that for that mediocre snore-fest with terrible, terrible sound.

My collection is filled with new games so I've been looking into getting some older games to fix that. I've got:

Donkey Kong Country, Earthbound, Kirby's Avalanche, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Mario Paint, Secret of Mana, Star Fox, Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Super Punch-Out!! and Uniracers.

What other games should I get outside of the Mega Man X games (I want to play through the classic series before), Kirby's Dream Land 3, F-Zero and the other DKC games? I already own Chrono Trigger and Kirby Super Star on DS as well.

Teknoman

I've never seen a collection like that at any HPB. The prices... Sad.

Everything else was priced decently except for Megaman 7 and X3. I've never gone anywhere and seen Diddy Kong Racing mint for 4 bucks. The funny part? Guy said both Megaman games were traded in that day. You can catch HPB slipping alot, but sometimes they have crazy prices higher than online too.

lazygecko

The sound in MM7 is alright. At least it isn't as riddled with out of tune instruments like earlier Capcom games on the system. Plus, you can't hate on the Ghosts n' Goblins music easter egg.

Overall the music is pretty forgettable though. Rockman & Forte on the other hand is full on jazz fusion goodness and that makes it my favorite post-8-bit MM soundtrack.

Rydeen

Picked up a copy of Macross on SFC a few days ago.

Fuck Harmony Gold forever.
I don't know if it's fair to blame Harmony Gold for Scrambled Valkyrie not coming out here. Licensed anime games coming out with IP intact were the exception, not the rule. Only one I can think of was the Ranma 1/2 fighter, and the previous title got turned into Street Combat. Need I remind you about all the Sailor Moon, DBZ and Gundam games that didn't get a release here in the 16-bit years, to say nothing of Dragon Power and Last Battle?

Ban Puncher

I don't know if it's fair to blame Harmony Gold for Scrambled Valkyrie not coming out here. Licensed anime games coming out with IP intact were the exception, not the rule. Only one I can think of was the Ranma 1/2 fighter, and the previous title got turned into Street Combat. Need I remind you about all the Sailor Moon, DBZ and Gundam games that didn't get a release here in the 16-bit years, to say nothing of Dragon Power and Last Battle?

I'm not saying 'Fuck Harmony Gold' for Scrambled Valkyrie not getting a western release (even though it was previewed in magazines BITD).

Just Fuck Harmony Gold in general.

Jaeger

My two latest SNES related pickups. They were just sitting there at one of my local Mom & Pop stores, so although I wanted to put off SNES/SFC SF2 purchases things just happened differently today. lol

gl4Fe6Z.jpg

aMnUZpw.jpg

The only major issue with the condition of the tear you can see at the bottom right side of the box. Other than that the manual, insert and game are in excellent condition.

Just picked this up for 15$ and it will likely be the only CIB I ever buy.

AkxYSnR.jpg

I just find it odd that when's is missing the apostrophe, so I'm wondering if it's a mockup box.

NDPsycho

Picked up a copy of Macross on SFC a few days ago.

Fuck Harmony Gold forever.

It's so import friendly, I don't mind much, but I can see your point, especially if you're referring to all of the other macross games we never got. Seems even SFC games are expensive. I only have two CIB SFC games and this is one.

I'm not a huge purist though, I even enjoyed the few robotech games that came out here.

i have a cib super famicom for sale. includes 2 controllers, composite cable, and nintendo-brand power adapter that works in u.s. outlets. the manual for the super famicom has serial number that matches the console.

the console and controllers are in great condition. little to no yellowing, cartridge slot looks brand-new, and controllers look and feel brand-new as well.

also included are cib games street fighter II, street fighter II turbo, final fight 2, yoshi's island, and contra III. some of the boxes are a bit beat up (especially contra III) and not all games have bags.

i posted this in the buy/sell thread, but thought i'd stick it in here too with a link to the post that includes pics for you guys to see:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=165431657&postcount=10504

Vexidus

Every time I go to a flea market, people are charging eBay prices for games and know how much they're worth. My dream is to find a yard sale with boxes of old SNES and N64 games for $5 each.

Teknoman

Every time I go to a flea market, people are charging eBay prices for games and know how much they're worth. My dream is to find a yard sale with boxes of old SNES and N64 games for $5 each.

Try thrift shops/resale shops, and keep trying at flea markets...but only spots that dont have glass display cases/ tables with games lined up on them (or even then...still check, can catch em slippin).

Its less likely, but still possible. Just last year I walked into an indoor flea market, spotted Secret of Mana on a bottom shelf with no price. Asked the guy how much for that game behind the other games, he says...ehhh 12 bucks.

Its wasnt 5, but hey.

Try thrift shops/resale shops, and keep trying at flea markets...but only spots that dont have glass display cases/ tables with games lined up on them (or even then...still check, can catch em slippin).

Its less likely, but still possible. Just last year I walked into an indoor flea market, spotted Secret of Mana on a bottom shelf with no price. Asked the guy how much for that game behind the other games, he says...ehhh 12 bucks.

Its wasnt 5, but hey.

Believe. It's the GAF motto.

Mercutio

The modern equivalent is finding a mis-labeled thing on eBay. And that's pretty sad.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I wish you could still find deals like that in Sweden. Collectors have vacuumed this earth dry and rule the land with an iron fist.

-KRS-

I wish you could still find deals like that in Sweden. Collectors have vacuumed this earth dry and rule the land with an iron fist.

Indeed. I haven't ran into any NES/SNES games at all at flea markets for quite some time. Even N64 stuff is pretty rare. You'll find plenty of shitty PS2 sports games though.

Vexidus

Its wasnt 5, but hey.

Nice! Yeah, I try to keep some cash on me for when I see random garage/yard sales while driving home from work. You never know, you could find older parents who could be clearing out a bunch of their kids old toys/games who've moved away.

Ban Puncher

Got a spare top cover plate in today for my Super Famicom and am going to attempt to widen the slot for US cartridges, hopefully without it looking like ass.

Are there any slot mod guides online with precise measurements or should it be easy enough to eyeball it?

Got a spare top cover plate in today for my Super Famicom and am going to attempt to widen the slot for US cartridges, hopefully without it looking like ass.

Are there any slot mod guides online with precise measurements or should it be easy enough to eyeball it?

There might be a guide somewhere but I couldn't find one.

Can I just encourage you to not do it? :) You're going to have to cut a LOT of plastic out of there; I ended up removing a bunch of that really thick plastic shroud that runs between the cartridge slot and the card edge connector on the board. A US console for playing US games doesn't cost too much and you can reuse the same cords; just keep the cords hooked up and swap the console.

Ban Puncher

There might be a guide somewhere but I couldn't find one.

Can I just encourage you to not do it? :) You're going to have to cut a LOT of plastic out of there; I ended up removing a bunch of that really thick plastic shroud that runs between the cartridge slot and the card edge connector on the board. A US console for playing US games doesn't cost too much and you can reuse the same cords; just keep the cords hooked up and swap the console.

I got a couple of US SNES consoles and whilst they are easier to mod for SFC cartridges by removing the tabs (which I have already done), the PSU is an issue. The SFC and even the PAL consoles use a standard power adaptor (suitable to their original domestic market) which is easy enough to get a regional version of where the US unit has a power input plug that is hard to find as a generic adaptor connection, almost proprietary. So then you're into step-down converter territory but I prefer to use local power units for my import consoles where available.

Plus the US SNES looks like hot garbage compared to the SFC/PAL console.

Top Bottom