• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Timu

*Checks Contra 3 prices*
*Sees it 50 bucks average cart only*
*Then sees it 100 bucks CIB*

When the heck did it become 50+ bucks on average? It was lower than that even a year ago.

Huggers

*Checks Contra 3 prices*
*Sees it 50 bucks average cart only*
*Then sees it 100 bucks CIB*

When the heck did it become 50+ bucks on average? It was lower than that even a year ago.

I just grabbed it boxed complete for £32. Guess it's cheaper buying Ntsc in the UK. Glad I got a good deal

D.Lo

Do ALL Super Famicom controllers work on a SNES? Any examples of certain controllers not working for some reason?
early PAL consoles had a controller lockout. NTSC machines can use all PAL controllers, but some PAL machines cannot use NTSC controllers. Same with ALL front loader PAL NES consoles.

It's a very easy mod to fix however.

dcx4610

Silly question. Does anyone know what kind of screws are used in the Super Famicom controller? The screw head looks like a "+" and I don't seem to have anything that can open them.

Cheerilee

Silly question. Does anyone know what kind of screws are used in the Super Famicom controller? The screw head looks like a "+" and I don't seem to have anything that can open them.

Phillips #1

#2 is the more common Phillips screwdriver, but that one's too big. You can buy #1 separately, or it should be included in any halfway-decent screwdriver set.

-KRS-

early PAL consoles had a controller lockout. NTSC machines can use all PAL controllers, but some PAL machines cannot use NTSC controllers. Same with ALL front loader PAL NES consoles.

It's a very easy mod to fix however.

Just wanted to point out that Scandinavian NES consoles actually used the NES-004 controllers rather than the NES-004E ones. So SCN NES units can use both American controllers and European 004E controllers! It probably had to do with the fact that the NES came out almost a year earlier in Scandinavia compared to most European countries.

D.Lo

Just wanted to point out that Scandinavian NES consoles actually used the NES-004 controllers rather than the NES-004E ones. So SCN NES units can use both American controllers and European 004E controllers! It probably had to do with the fact that the NES came out almost a year earlier in Scandinavia compared to most European countries.
Ah, ah those the ones that got 'European' boxes (the square ones)?

Cody_D165

Banned
Caught the local store slippin' up on prices ;)

RbRmbEo.jpg

Been wanting a retail copy of SMW for awhile, don't see these boxes too often. This one's not in the best shape but I'll take it. Gonna have to find a manual somewhere to toss inside it if I don't have one laying around.

graffix13

So...thinking of pulling the trigger on Demon's Crest. It's just a lot of money for a cart.

I never played it....is the game good?

v1perz53

Yea I recently picked up a SFC version of Super Metroid, I wish more SFC games had english options so I could save some money when buying that version.. Also wish it was my first time playing Super Metroid, I still remember it and my god what a fantastic experience. It was as a kid though so unfortunately it meant I went through most of it with a guide, would love to erase that memory and go through it blind today.

RexRogers

Neo Member
Yea I recently picked up a SFC version of Super Metroid, I wish more SFC games had english options so I could save some money when buying that version.. Also wish it was my first time playing Super Metroid, I still remember it and my god what a fantastic experience. It was as a kid though so unfortunately it meant I went through most of it with a guide, would love to erase that memory and go through it blind today.
There's a part in that game where you have to plant a bomb on one specific block to move on. There's nothing odd or remarkable about that block. Without a guide you'd never find it.

VARIA

Awesome! I did the same (buy the SFC version) just for the cover/box art, which is a zillion times better than the US version.

graffix13

I went the SFC route with Final Fight 2 and Super Aleste (Space Megaforce). I would prefer the SNES version but I won't break the bank over it.

D.Lo

Why do you need English at all? Super Metroid doesn't even require the ability to read at all. The intro doesn't affect the game.

Same with 99% of action games.

There's a part in that game where you have to plant a bomb on one specific block to move on. There's nothing odd or remarkable about that block. Without a guide you'd never find it.
What block? I finished Super Metroid when I was 10 years old with no guide in a single day.

SM's design is masterful. Everything you have to do is hinted at, taught to you. The place that many people get hung up on is power bombing the glass tube, but just before it you pass a broken tube - that's the visual hint.

Peagles

Awesome! I did the same (buy the SFC version) just for the cover/box art, which is a zillion times better than the US version.

I went through a few stages with wanting to buy Super Metroid. First I wanted the big PAL box set, then I decided maybe I'd get the US one since I now run NTSC, but then I saw the box art of the Japanese one (and the huge discount on price) and I just had to have it!

I actually have a picture up on my wall of the SFC box art, it's pretty awesome.

Also I should post my recent hauls, haven't done that in awhile but I finally got a few games I've been after for a long time.

D.Lo

I'm a bit of a Metroid fanatic and I have the entire series in Japanese. Every Japanese release.

I used to have the entire series in PAL as well, but sold them for a small fortune.

D.Lo

The next minute on from 22:25 is really suspect to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RHV8bud6fE
I can't believe I know the answer to this off the top of my head...

If you'd gone to the Brinstar map station, it would reveal there is something behind that wall on your map.

So Immediately after getting Super Missles, and with that section of Norfair completely tapped out for now, you head back up, and see no door but something behind the wall. So you can try your latest power up that you got 5 minutes ago on it.

Whoever made that video is likely speed running so skipped the map room.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
SM's design is masterful. Everything you have to do is hinted at, taught to you. The place that many people get hung up on is power bombing the glass tube, but just before it you pass a broken tube - that's the visual hint.

There's also the noob bridge.

Peagles

There's also the noob bridge.

I think the reason I got stuck there is because although I read the manual and saw there was a run button at the beginning of the game, I played all day and I like to explore, so it was hours before I got to that part. Probably got up and started playing at 8am, and paused to do stuff during the day, leaving the system on. Got to the bridge much later in the day, after dinner time around 8pm. With no need to run before that point (let alone the space to gather momentum save the top surface of the planet where your ship is) I was so absorbed I'd completely forgotten the run button even existed.

With the tube, I knew I had to break it, but I was using the wrong weapon for ages, believing it was more powerful than what was actually required in the end. I think it needed a super missile, but I'd acquired that ages ago, and recently got the super bombs and they made such a big visual effect on the screen I was convinced that's what I needed to break a major part of the environment. It's funny what my brain gets hung up on sometimes.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
With the tube, I knew I had to break it, but I was using the wrong weapon for ages, believing it was more powerful than what was actually required in the end. I think it needed a super missile, but I'd acquired that ages ago, and recently got the super bombs and they made such a big visual effect on the screen I was convinced that's what I needed to break a major part of the environment. It's funny what my brain gets hung up on sometimes.

You do need the power bomb to break the tube though.

Sadly, I got that part spoiled somehow (don't remember how), and already knew what you needed to do. This was when the game was relatively new, too.

Peagles

You do need the power bomb to break the tube though.

Sadly, I got that part spoiled somehow (don't remember how), and already knew what you needed to do. This was when the game was relatively new, too.

Okay I'm probably getting the names mixed up then, but whatever it was, it wasn't what I was expecting would work.

Not gonna lie. I got stuck on both the noob bridge and noob tube. I read the button commands and knew about running, it's just that after one time trying it early in the game without a long hallway I thought it was useless and forgot about it. For the tube I was still thinking in video game terms and thought it looked different for the sake of looking different and was just background decoration instead of part of the world.

Top Bottom