• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I just received a huuuuuge stack of Super Famicom-games. I bought it mostly because it was cheap, and included stuff like Actraiser, Pilotwings, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World, Goemon, and Super Metroid (allowing me to continue the process of getting rid of the crappy pal-versions). It also included tons of famous rpgs like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV-V-VI, Dragon Quest 3, Torneko no Daibouken, Romancing Saga 2-3, Kyūyaku Megami Tensei and Shin Megami Tensei if... which I will probably mostly sell on.

However, the biggest part was completely unknown to me. Most of them seems pretty worthless, but guess I might as well ask here if anybody recognize something:

Magical Taruruuto-kun: Magic Adventure - this looks like a decent Goemon-style game.
Kessen! Dokapon Okukoku IV: Densetsu no Yuusha Tachi - rpg
Super Chinese World - Super Ninja Boy in the west, guess its fine to play in japanese?
Majotachi no Nemuri - visual novel?
Battle Dodgeball: Toukyuu Daigekitotsu - sports
Battle Dodgeball 2 - sports
Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden 3 - fighting game
Daikaijū Monogatari - dragon quest-like
Bombuzal - puzzle
Battle Robot Retsuden - strategy
Captain Tsubasa III - football rpg
Captain Tsubasa IV - football-rpg
Yū Yū Hakusho 2: Kakutō no Sho - fighting game
Tetris Battle Gaiden - puzzle
Ranma ½: Bakuretsu Rantouhen - fighting
Super Puyo Puyo Tsu - puzzle
Super Puyo Puyo Tsu Remix - puzzle
Super Gachapon World: SD Gundam X - strategy
Super Scope 6 - shooting
Trump Island - cards
Dungeon Master - rpg
Super Naxat Open - golf
Sotsugyou Bangai Hen - mahjong

Seems pretty crappy overall, anything worth keeping, or should I just sell them all on?

IrishNinja

man where exactly are people getting bootleg giant earthbound boxes? ive got a mother 3 one from nintendoage but id love to replace my old EB one

Magical Taruruuto-kun: Magic Adventure - this looks like a decent Goemon-style game.
Super Chinese World - Super Ninja Boy in the west, guess its fine to play in japanese?
Bombuzal - puzzle

Super Scope 6 - shooting
Trump Island - cards
Dungeon Master - rpg
Super Naxat Open - golf

Both Puyo Puyo 2 and remix are good (they have different music + remix has a 4 player mode and some other stuff) and Tetris Battle Gaiden is a lot of fun in 2-player.

i just got back from gamestop and they found this in their drawer
they gave it me for 25:
oqxXozUm.jpg

i also picked up a shooter for 10 bucks and final fight for the same (10)
Lf5Sl5bm.jpg

R-type III is insane money, i'd rather put that towards geting a pc engine.

phalanx, i think i played that once somewhere bc the weapons look familiar, i'll look into the price. it looks fun =)

they gave it me for 25:
oqxXozUm.jpg

g]

Nice to see that the labels are in good shape! Still want that SMW/All Stars cart.

Is it still just select GS's that carry retro games?

Wait, how much is R-Type III going for now?

Timu

ugh... I can't believe that. I found it for $19 at a Half Price Books about 4 years ago. Crazy.
My god I should had gotten it back then.

Great box art, or greatest box art?

Easily one of the most memorable of all time.
Greatest by far.

goddamn
i remember when SNES prices were starting to jump, it was like $50 or so for the US, so i went half that on the SFC version & never looked back

SHMUP community stays having deep pockets
Damn, even that's a good deal compared to today!!!

SKINNER!

Banned
Exactly.

You can't use a PAL SNES power adapter on a SFC (it will fit and wiil likely even work for a while depending on the model due to the regulator, but will be damaging the system) and using a japanese power adapter and a step down converter is clunkly and expensive when a Mega Drive compatible 1 local power supply works perfectly.

Power is the least of your problems. It is not easy to play PAL and NTSC games on one console without a converter and/or disabled lockout, but even then quite a few games won't work. 50/60Hz has little to do with it, though some games don't boot in the incorrect refresh rate.

The only real way to do it perfectly is by replacing the lockout chip with a SuperCIC, or use two consoles.

Well, buying a voltage converter would be the other option :D

Cheers for the feedback guys :) I think I'll probably invest in a modded PAL Snes then. Maybe even try it myself if I find a cheap enough SNES to play around with.

they gave it me for 25:
oqxXozUm.jpg

Lf5Sl5bm.jpg

Nice find dude! Good to hear that there's happy story from someone buying retro games from GS. I'm heard a few crazy things about people buying fake retro carts from GS.

NDPsycho

Not sure just the fact that 3 people have said the same thing. Unless those people where trolling me.. Lol

I have double checked it on Nintendo age forums and they too agree that it's 100% legit

Looks like mine, and has appropriate wear to the box and guide. I'd even guess that your insert is original given the slight yellowing. The pcb looks good. The only hard part is trying to determine if labels are original, but the rest certainly looks it and in pretty nice shape. If they aren't willing to cite the reasons for their claims, I wouldn't give them much consideration. I know where you're coming from though. Given the costs and the rampant reproductions, it takes a mental toll on you trying to collect some of this stuff now. Not that it probably carries much weight, but I think I'd be comfortable with what you've got there.

NDPsycho

R-type III is insane money, i'd rather put that towards geting a pc engine.

phalanx, i think i played that once somewhere bc the weapons look familiar, i'll look into the price. it looks fun =)

Most good shooters go for insane money it seems, regardless of platform. I don't have every shooter on SNES, but I do have and like Macross (which you're already looking at and is super import friendly), Axelay and Space Megaforce. It's not always the case, but I think some of the cost here is due to the quality. Stuff like Thunder Spirits, etc. is ok, but not nearly as good. I don't normally think of the SNES as the home of many notable shooters though (for me that's the dreamcast).

eXistor

Finally got me an RGB cable for my ntsc snes, now all my consoles (except NES) are hooked up with rgb, pretty sweet.

entremet

So SNES on n3DS was finally announced. It also supports original resolutions.

Apparently it looks great.

I wonder if M2 is doing these.

Peagles

So SNES on n3DS was finally announced. It also supports original resolutions.

Apparently it looks great.

I wonder if M2 is doing these.

Just trying EB now, It does look pretty great. Original res takes up a good section of the screen too.

Edit: Too reflecty to take a snap right now, damn.

I just received a huuuuuge stack of Super Famicom-games. I bought it mostly because it was cheap, and included stuff like Actraiser, Pilotwings, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World, Goemon, and Super Metroid (allowing me to continue the process of getting rid of the crappy pal-versions). It also included tons of famous rpgs like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV-V-VI, Dragon Quest 3, Torneko no Daibouken, Romancing Saga 2-3, Kyūyaku Megami Tensei and Shin Megami Tensei if... which I will probably mostly sell on.

However, the biggest part was completely unknown to me. Most of them seems pretty worthless, but guess I might as well ask here if anybody recognize something:

Bombuzal - puzzle
Super Scope 6 - shooting
Trump Island - cards
Dungeon Master - rpg
Super Naxat Open - golf

Seems pretty crappy overall, anything worth keeping, or should I just sell them all on?

Magical Taruruuto-kun for the SNES is a decent platformer. It can be fun, I kind of like it. It's got battery save too, and plenty of challenge (though its NES predecessors are even harder!). The Puyo Puyo games are also classics, of course. And Tetris Battle Gaiden is fantastic in multiplayer, Jeff Gerstmann of Giant Bomb loves it for example; it's been in quite a few of their videos.

Oh, and Ranma 1/2: Bakuretsu Rantouhen is the game localized in the US as Ranma 1/2: Hard Battle. It's mediocre. The good SNES Ranma games are the later ones, which didn't get US releases.

Game's pretty damn fun. Then get Zero Divide on PS1 for Tiny Phalanx

Is Zero Divide for PS1 in any way worth buying? I've seen it in stores, and like longboxes, but the game looks pretty bad... and as much as I do buy bad games sometimes, I try to mostly get ones which at least MIGHT be interesting.

Is Zero Divide for PS1 in any way worth buying? I've seen it in stores, and like longboxes, but the game looks pretty bad... and as much as I do buy bad games sometimes, I try to mostly get ones which at least MIGHT be interesting.

In all honesty, it's not really that good. If you can get it for like $5-10 then get it.

RexRogers

Neo Member
Anyone keep a spreadsheet for all of their SNES purchases? I got into SNES collecting two years ago and it's interesting to look how much I paid for things back then and what they're going for now. Interesting and sad.

IrishNinja

that's not a bad idea, im mostly going off memory...wish ebay kept records like amazon.

i know i went in on the import Drac X for...was it $40 shipped? the US one was already way too high for a sup-bar vania game, also imported Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, Hagane, Demons Crest, MMX3 & a few others before things got more unreasonable

US-wise, i think i went around $40 again for a really beat up label copy of Ninja Warriors that i'd wanted, those were on the high end for me. i was super bummed cause i caught a good deal on a PAL copy of Pocky & Rocky that wouldn't play, then some dude on a forum offered to put the US version on there, right?
...now the cutscenes have no text =/ Super Everdrive it is!

Anyone keep a spreadsheet for all of their SNES purchases? I got into SNES collecting two years ago and it's interesting to look how much I paid for things back then and what they're going for now. Interesting and sad.

Funny you should mention that, as I was looking through old emails I've had from a few years ago and looking at the invoices/finals bid that I had paid.

CIB Lufia II for - $92
R-Type III for - $45
CIB Ogre Battle:MOQ - $98
CIB King of Dragons - $62

Then a bunch of commons for cheap, most of which have not gone up too much. At least I don't think.

Super Star Wars - $7
Indiana Jones/w manual - $8
X-Men Mutant Apocalypse - $6

Just a few notables. I can update more later.

RexRogers

Neo Member
Let's see. Back from late 2013 I have the following purchases with some from ebay, but the really good deals from Craigslist (you don't find many of those these days):

Super Castlevania IV - $28.00 10/24/2013
Sparkster - $25.00 10/29/2013
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - $12.50 12/15/2013
TMNT 4: Turtles in Time - $12.50 12/15/2013
Zombies Ate My Neighbors - $12.50 12/15/2013
Contra 3: Alien Wars - $11.00 1/6/2014

A few others from that time weren't spectacular deals, but still cheaper than or equivalent to what they go for now:

Donkey Kong Country 2 - $15.00 10/30/2013
Gradius III - $12.50 12/15/2013
Donkey Kong Country - $10.00 12/20/2013
Donkey Kong Country 3 - $20.00 12/20/2013
Mega Man X - $28.08 12/26/2013
Sunset Riders - $52.41 12/31/2013

IrishNinja

damn, Rex got a lotta SNES games for what they went for a long time in my head, haha

CIB Lufia II for - $92

okay while i don't like it when D Lo/others rationalize current bubble prices with stock prices/inflation etc: i distinctly remember renting & loving that one in the day, then being bummed EB wanted about that for the game new. i was determined i'd hold out & get it for cheaper!

...then they just stopped carrying it =/ i missed some ebay deal years back for 1 & 2 loose for $50 and just gave up. i can only imagine what that catches now, but it's a solid RPG and you done good!

elmalloc

I paid probably $60 for TMNT4 late last year.

I've been re-playing Super Mario Kart lately, I can't believe how bad I am in 50cc. I'm winning the races, but in the second ghost house I fell to almost last place in the last lap before getting back to 1st. I used to give everyone a lap lead in 50CC before beating them.

It did take me a minute to get used to the slide mechanic in this game vs. the newer mario karts. When I watch speed videos, I see they're doing slide mechanic "cheats" of sorts that lets them extend the speed for a very long time by hitting left/right quickly, confusing the game into thinking they're still in a slide (and driving over non-road areas fast).

Teknoman

So not to start a wildfire...but should we do an SNES game of the month as well? I dont think it could hurt since each system has its own community at this point. Not to mention this, NES, and the Genesis are probably the systems with the largest libraries with some kinda cheap games still floating around.

Herbs

Banned
Got some stuff to sell. Some extras including a CIB SNES console etc. Upgraded some of my stuff sio these are just sitting around. PM me if anyone wants to make a deal on them.

Don't have a spreadsheet, bud did keep some of them in an old ledger/check book. Sadly, some of the entries are just "ebay," "half," or "ebgames." Ebgames more so since they were clearing stock and offering something like 15 games for $56 including s/h/tax.

With that said, here are some of the earliest entries (named) in order of purchase:

Super Turrican 2 - $65.99
Smash TV - $7.95
Adventures of Batman and Robin - $6.95
Snow White - $6.85
Pac-in-Time - $10.19
Aerofighters - $42.48
Starfox Super Weekend - $307.79
Megaman Soccer - $30
Pocky & Rocky 2 - $54.40
Captain Novolin + Mountain Bike Rally - $23.71
Hurricanes - $10.95
Megaman X2 & X3 - $89.00
Wild C.A.T.S. - $11.49
Pieces - $11.94
Fun N' Games - $25.08
Super Mario Allstars+World - $16.99
S.O.S: Sink or Swim - $9.24
King Arthur and the Knights of Justice - $15.99
Wild Guns - $10.79

and Just cause it was mentioned a page back:

Macross Scrambled Valkyrie - $26.50

Timu

Don't have a spreadsheet, bud did keep some of them in an old ledger/check book. Sadly, some of the entries are just "ebay," "half," or "ebgames." Ebgames more so since they were clearing stock and offering something like 15 games for $56 including s/h/tax.

With that said, here are some of the earliest entries (named) in order of purchase:

Super Turrican 2 - $65.99
Adventures of Batman and Robin - $6.95
Aerofighters - $42.48
Pocky & Rocky 2 - $54.40
Megaman X2 & X3 - $89.00
Wild Guns - $10.79

and Just cause it was mentioned a page back:

Macross Scrambled Valkyrie - $26.50
Wow...

Top Bottom