• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Bakkus

Ouch, my PAL SNES's (modified with 50/60 hz switch) power core seems to be busted. The reason is because I bought a reproduction cart that wouldn't work with my console. So the ones I bought it from advised me to open it and only put the PCB board inside as a last resort, I did but I inserted it wrong way and turned it on. Now it will not turn on for anything. Anyone got any tips on how to fix this?

Peagles

Ouch, my PAL SNES's (modified with 50/60 hz switch) power core seems to be busted. The reason is because I bought a reproduction cart that wouldn't work with my console. So the ones I bought it from advised me to open it and only put the PCB board inside as a last resort, I did but I inserted it wrong way and turned it on. Now it will not turn on for anything. Anyone got any tips on how to fix this?

Have you checked the fuse?

entremet

Started a game of Super Ghouls and Ghost, a cart which I used to own back in the day, on the VC.

I forgot how good and hard this game is. I'm getting better slowly, though.

Crazy how better of a gamer I am today lol. I guess patience comes with age.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I got a loose cart Final Fantasy Mystic Quest yesterday. A very not rare game but I hadn't picked it up since I first played it 24 years ago.

We all know and groan at the mention of this game. Babby's first RPG for American gamers. "Final Fantasy USA" as it was labelled in Japan. It was the first FF I rented as a kid and while I have wierd nostalgia over it, it was certainly no classic in my mind.

But I'm finding it to be kind of fun this time around. The way that they smoothed off some of the arcane edges of classic RPGs feels kind of modern. No random battles, just on world enemy encounters. Opt-in battlefields with limited number of encounters, which indicates exactly how much they need you to grind. Simplified map structure, almost more like a Super Mario Bros 3 map. I even appreciate the philosophy behind using a dot-based infographic instead of a number counter, as default. I see what they were trying to do, and it's much like modern game development philosophies to remove friction.

Fantastic music. I hadn't forgotten that over the decades.

It's not great, obviously... But to my surprise, I'm actually playing through it, and I think I'll play it to completion. Another FF off the bucket list.

I'm also cozying up to my PVM instead of running to my Framemeister. The glow of the SNES in that pitch black tube feels really nostalgic. I feel transported back to 1992.... (An idealized version, anyway... I didn't have 20" of RGB back then, that's for sure).

entremet

I got a loose cart Final Fantasy Mystic Quest yesterday. A very not rare game but I hadn't picked it up since I first played it 24 years ago.

We all know and groan at the mention of this game. Babby's first RPG for American gamers. "Final Fantasy USA" as it was labelled in Japan. It was the first FF I rented as a kid and while I have wierd nostalgia over it, it was certainly no classic in my mind.

But I'm finding it to be kind of fun this time around. The way that they smoothed off some of the arcane edges of classic RPGs feels kind of modern. No random battles, just on world enemy encounters. Opt-in battlefields with limited number of encounters, which indicates exactly how much they need you to grind. Simplified map structure, almost more like a Super Mario Bros 3 map. I even appreciate the philosophy behind using a dot-based infographic instead of a number counter, as default. I see what they were trying to do, and it's much like modern game development philosophies to remove friction.

It's not great, obviously... But to my surprise, I'm actually playing through it, and I think I'll play it to completion. Another FF off the bucket list.

I'm also cozying up to my PVM instead of running to my Framemeister. The glow of the SNES in that pitch black tube feels really nostalgic. I feel transported back to 1992.... (An idealized version, anyway... I didn't have 20" of RGB back then, that's for sure).
I thought MQ had a favorable reception from those who played it.

I loved it for what it was--a super simple, yet engaging jrpg with a great soundtrack. It's no FFVI, Secret of Mana or Chrono Trigger, but it was a fun little rpg.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I thought MQ had a favorable reception from those who played it.
It was a punching bag amongst the Square fanbase I talked with in the late 90s. I mean that was a time when the idea of an American made RPG for a softcore American audience would make the hardcore weeaboo jRPG audience cringe. The "Final Fantasy USA" name felt like a mark of shame.

But I can agree that I think it's good for what it is.

sounds like Macross is a decent shooter for super famicon. i'll keep looking for a deal.

i just got my snes from ebay. tested everything works. now i have to get some cables to hook into the bvm.

Man, you have me thinking I should get this since I really have no time for huge RPGs any more. I remember liking the game for what it was when I played it at release - not as deep as FF but fun in its own way.

IrishNinja

as a huge RPG-head in the day, i got Mystic Quest day 1...despite the weird brain tune-up or whatever ads, i knew what i was getting, haha...came out right around the end of the school year for me, too!
id also mail away for like anything back then, so i remember laughing when my official strategy guide showed up nearly 2 moths after i'd beaten it, haha...it's fine for what it is, really

Cogwheels

Neo Member
Man it's a pain being an NTSC collector in the UK sometimes.

I *really* want a copy of Sunset Riders. I know it's not a cheap game but the copies on eBay UK seem a bit too inflated.

So it's like, do I wait in the hope I find a deal, or just go for it? Being in the UK I'm highly unlikely to find a deal...importing could be potentially more expensive if I get caught by customs.

Can any fellow UK collectors recommend anywhere other than eBay to look for NTSC stuff? Are there any Facebook groups worth joining etc?

-KRS-

Where should I look for good quality snes rgb scart cables? I have three cables right now but they all have flaws. The first one was a really cheap cable I got with my SFC which has the audio channels switched somehow. And there's a ton of noise in the audio as well. The second one has plugs for multiple systems. This one is decent but the image seems a little soft. Maybe it's a composite sync cable or something. The third one I bought from that uk seller who makes a lot of cables for various consoles. Can't remember the name of the website now. This one seems to have the best video quality, but there's more pronounced interference in the audio than with the second cable.

I'd like one with both great video quality and as little noise in the audio channels as possible.

Where should I look for good quality snes rgb scart cables? I have three cables right now but they all have flaws. The first one was a really cheap cable I got with my SFC which has the audio channels switched somehow. And there's a ton of noise in the audio as well. The second one has plugs for multiple systems. This one is decent but the image seems a little soft. Maybe it's a composite sync cable or something. The third one I bought from that uk seller who makes a lot of cables for various consoles. Can't remember the name of the website now. This one seems to have the best video quality, but there's more pronounced interference in the audio than with the second cable.

I'd like one with both great video quality and as little noise in the audio channels as possible.

i'm in the same camp as you. i just got a snes and looking for scart cables

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
For what its worth, my cables are from that ebay seller retro_gaming_accessories, and they ahve quite a bit of annoying flickering on them.

IrishNinja

For what its worth, my cables are from that ebay seller retro_gaming_accessories, and they ahve quite a bit of annoying flickering on them.

oh yeah? how long have you had them, she usually puts out quality stuff and would prolly fix that if anything

oh yeah? how long have you had them, she usually puts out quality stuff and would prolly fix that if anything

I have my cables from retro_gaming_accessories and thefoo.83 and I don't have problems with them.

i was looking at retro gaming accessories on ebay but it's OOS when i checked early in the morning. hmmm morfeo had a faulty cable. i hope to luck out.

can anyone post the link to it if possible? (in case there's more than one cable for JYP/Europe i'm so new i don't want to get the wrong one) thanks in advance =)

SKINNER!

Banned
Man it's a pain being an NTSC collector in the UK sometimes.

I *really* want a copy of Sunset Riders. I know it's not a cheap game but the copies on eBay UK seem a bit too inflated.

So it's like, do I wait in the hope I find a deal, or just go for it? Being in the UK I'm highly unlikely to find a deal...importing could be potentially more expensive if I get caught by customs.

Can any fellow UK collectors recommend anywhere other than eBay to look for NTSC stuff? Are there any Facebook groups worth joining etc?

Gumtree I guess? You may have to swim through a sea of FIFA and COD but you sometimes will find that one person who'll sell their decent collection. Once got Chrono Cross for a £5 from gumtree. Unless you plan on trying your luck frequenting car boot sales then you either go to ebay UK or you take a risk importing from USA. It's partly the reason why I stopped collecting retro games and spending crazy money on them. Prices have just got to such a ridiculous point in the UK and people have become aware of it's value. Even charity shops and other places will sell a decent game at a high price because it's so simple to check eBay and see what it goes for. Was speaking to a indie video game store owner who once told me that SNES and other retro video games were featured on "Cash in the Attic". I don't know if that's true but I doesn't surprise me.

Invest in an SD2SNES and never turn back ;)

SKINNER!

Banned
Guys, got a question about the SNES in the PAL region.

I've been using an fc3plus since about 2009 to play my SNES games and while I have no issues or complaints with it (Except for the controller to which I had to cut up and solder an SNES extension cable to get an SNES controller to work with it) I feel that now is the time to pick up a proper SNES...part of me feels like I should've done this back in 2009 but meh, c'est la vie.

I got a good mixture of PAL games and NTSC ones. My question is, should I pick up a PAL SNES and get it modded with 50/60Hz or should I pick up a Super Famicom the next time I'm in Japan and just pick up a UK power supply for it? They got them dirt cheap over there and most of the ones I saw are in excellent condition compared to the overpriced yellowing mess you find on ebay UK. Is it easy to play PAL games on a Super famicom?

TheMoon

I got a good mixture of PAL games and NTSC ones. My question is, should I pick up a PAL SNES and get it modded with 50/60Hz or should I pick up a Super Famicom the next time I'm in Japan and just pick up a UK power supply for it? They got them dirt cheap over there and most of the ones I saw are in excellent condition compared to the overpriced yellowing mess you find on ebay UK. Is it easy to play PAL games on a Super famicom?

You need a voltage converter for the SNES (or SFC), iirc. I think in that era the PSUs were still nailed down to their region's voltage specifications.

Is it easy to play PAL games on a Super famicom?

You'd need a 50/60Hz switch and some kind of import adapter to play all of them on a Super famicom at 'correct' speed. Or install a SuperCIC.

You need a voltage converter for the SNES (or SFC), iirc. I think in that era the PSUs were still nailed down to their region's voltage specifications.

Really? damn :( So I guess a modded PAL Snes is the only option.

You could just use a Mega Drive 1 PSU. Works with the SFC.

D.Lo

You could just use a Mega Drive 1 PSU. Works with the SFC.
Exactly.

You can't use a PAL SNES power adapter on a SFC (it will fit and wiil likely even work for a while depending on the model due to the regulator, but will be damaging the system) and using a japanese power adapter and a step down converter is clunkly and expensive when a Mega Drive compatible 1 local power supply works perfectly.

Power is the least of your problems. It is not easy to play PAL and NTSC games on one console without a converter and/or disabled lockout, but even then quite a few games won't work. 50/60Hz has little to do with it, though some games don't boot in the incorrect refresh rate.

The only real way to do it perfectly is by replacing the lockout chip with a SuperCIC, or use two consoles.

Cogwheels

Neo Member
I'll second the issue with playing both PAL and NTSC on one console. I had a PAL SNES modded to run games at 60hz but it was flakey. Especially with games with the special chips.

I guess the other option is Retron 5...but in the end I just went for a NTSC SNES and got rid of my PAL collection.

Chomposaur

Neo Member
Hello I was just wondering if I could have an expert opinion on my CIB copy of earthbound. I am a member of several snes groups on Facebook and Twitter and I have shown it on there a few times and 3 people have questioned the authenticity of the box.

I have took pictures of every single square inch of the thing and i am running out of time on ebays 90 day warranty. I've had it now for about 50 days

All the images are in my imgur account there's about 15 pictures I don't want to spam the board with my pictures. Thank you for your time.

https://imgur.com/user/BrendonMelling

TheMoon

Hello I was just wondering if I could have an expert opinion on my CIB copy of earthbound. I am a member of several snes groups on Facebook and Twitter and I have shown it on there a few times and 3 people have questioned the authenticity of the box.

I have took pictures of every single square inch of the thing and i am running out of time on ebays 90 day warranty. I've had it now for about 50 days

All the images are in my imgur account there's about 15 pictures I don't want to spam the board with my pictures. Thank you for your time.

https://imgur.com/user/BrendonMelling

There are no images of Earthbound boxes.

TheMoon

done just changed it now.

So many pics! Far as the eye can see!

Looks real to me. I had a copy of EB once but that was many years ago.

Got all the typical flaps in the proper shape and all. But I'm no expert by any means. (just talking about the box)

Peagles

Looks just like my copy, if that helps.

At first I was thinking the cardboard on the box looked too thin, but it looks the same as mine. It should definitely feel thicker than a regular SNES box though.

Chomposaur

Neo Member
Pretty certain that's genuine. What was making people question it?

Not sure just the fact that 3 people have said the same thing. Unless those people where trolling me.. Lol

I have double checked it on Nintendo age forums and they too agree that it's 100% legit

Top Bottom