• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

I paid probably $60 for TMNT4 late last year.

I've been re-playing Super Mario Kart lately, I can't believe how bad I am in 50cc. I'm winning the races, but in the second ghost house I fell to almost last place in the last lap before getting back to 1st. I used to give everyone a lap lead in 50CC before beating them.

It did take me a minute to get used to the slide mechanic in this game vs. the newer mario karts. When I watch speed videos, I see they're doing slide mechanic "cheats" of sorts that lets them extend the speed for a very long time by hitting left/right quickly, confusing the game into thinking they're still in a slide (and driving over non-road areas fast).

That's funny. I'm awful at new MK games because I grew up on the old mechanics. I'm the best in the world
my neighbourhood from 20 years ago
at 150cc.

damn, Rex got a lotta SNES games for what they went for a long time in my head, haha

okay while i don't like it when D Lo/others rationalize current bubble prices with stock prices/inflation etc: i distinctly remember renting & loving that one in the day, then being bummed EB wanted about that for the game new. i was determined i'd hold out & get it for cheaper!

...then they just stopped carrying it =/ i missed some ebay deal years back for 1 & 2 loose for $50 and just gave up. i can only imagine what that catches now, but it's a solid RPG and you done good!

Thank you!

So not to start a wildfire...but should we do an SNES game of the month as well? I dont think it could hurt since each system has its own community at this point. Not to mention this, NES, and the Genesis are probably the systems with the largest libraries with some kinda cheap games still floating around.

I'd be down. It just sucks that so many great games would be excluded if we kept the $30 price point. And then to top it off, the no rpg requirement as well haha.

I just paid an arm and a leg for the Adventures of Batman and Robin :(

Those are just killer prices. I can't be too greedy though, some of those games I have gotten similar deals on.

Who here has played The Adventures of Batman and Robin anyway? As a huge fan of TAS from the 90's and always figured it was similar to the Genesis version, I have to say it's the best of the three(Sega CD included).

The animation is just gorgeous and it totally nails the atmosphere of TAS. It pained me to pay what I did, but it was one of the last big hitters that I needed.

IrishNinja

anyone here actually run through Famicom Detective Club II? im told it's a short, fun remake of part 1, just curious...looks VN-like, and i dig that

SKINNER!

Banned
Don't have a spreadsheet, bud did keep some of them in an old ledger/check book. Sadly, some of the entries are just "ebay," "half," or "ebgames." Ebgames more so since they were clearing stock and offering something like 15 games for $56 including s/h/tax.

With that said, here are some of the earliest entries (named) in order of purchase:

Super Turrican 2 - $65.99
Smash TV - $7.95
Adventures of Batman and Robin - $6.95
Snow White - $6.85
Pac-in-Time - $10.19
Aerofighters - $42.48
Starfox Super Weekend - $307.79
Megaman Soccer - $30
Pocky & Rocky 2 - $54.40
Captain Novolin + Mountain Bike Rally - $23.71
Hurricanes - $10.95
Megaman X2 & X3 - $89.00
Wild C.A.T.S. - $11.49
Pieces - $11.94
Fun N' Games - $25.08
Super Mario Allstars+World - $16.99
S.O.S: Sink or Swim - $9.24
King Arthur and the Knights of Justice - $15.99
Wild Guns - $10.79

and Just cause it was mentioned a page back:

Macross Scrambled Valkyrie - $26.50

Interesting!

I remember seeing a cart only Super Mario RPG at a second hand DVD and video games store in the outskirts of Seattle for $40 back in 2009. Later that year I picked up a CIB for $50.

Turtles in Time and Mickey's Magical Quest carts = £10

NBA Jam TE CIB: £15

Super Mario All-Star + World cart for $30 in 2011 (Might have been overpiced at the time. I picked it up at PAX.)

Chrono Trigger usually went for around £50/60 back then on ebay.

Not a SNES game but Snatcher on the Sega CD was obtained for £70 back in 2011. Not sure how I even managed that.

psylah

Interesting!

I remember seeing a cart only Super Mario RPG at a second hand DVD and video games store in the outskirts of Seattle for $40 back in 2009. Later that year I picked up a CIB for $50.

Turtles in Time and Mickey's Magical Quest carts = £10

NBA Jam TE CIB: £15

Super Mario All-Star + World cart for $30 in 2011 (Might have been overpiced at the time. I picked it up at PAX.)

Chrono Trigger usually went for around £50/60 back then on ebay.

Not a SNES game but Snatcher on the Sega CD was obtained for £70 back in 2011. Not sure how I even managed that.

I got a loose cart of Super Mario RPG last year for
three dollars.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So not to start a wildfire...but should we do an SNES game of the month as well? I dont think it could hurt since each system has its own community at this point. Not to mention this, NES, and the Genesis are probably the systems with the largest libraries with some kinda cheap games still floating around.

Quoting this for new page, would be awesome with a Snes game of the month!

I'm not a huge SNES collector. I have only about 25 games, many of which are from back in the day when I was a kid/teen. Most were gifts or bought with gift money. I did go after more RPGs later, though. I know I got Final Fantasy II free from a friend. I got Earthbound and Chrono Trigger for $55 each. I got Sky Blazer for $7. I just recently bought Sunset Riders for $60 in a decent deal.

If we do a SNES club I think that while we should always do our best to pick affordable titles, we might also do well to enter with the mindset that this platform simply costs more to play. If there's a price ceiling, we might want to agree from the get-go that $30 is too low... Just my two cents.

Morfeo

Just for fun, I tested a Super Famicom-game in my Snes-mini - and to my surprise it worked! Is this normal, or is it a sign of it having been modded or something? Was there no "tabs" in the Snes-mini?

Teknoman

I'm not a huge SNES collector. I have only about 25 games, many of which are from back in the day when I was a kid/teen. Most were gifts or bought with gift money. I did go after more RPGs later, though. I know I got Final Fantasy II free from a friend. I got Earthbound and Chrono Trigger for $55 each. I got Sky Blazer for $7. I just recently bought Sunset Riders for $60 in a decent deal.

If we do a SNES club I think that while we should always do our best to pick affordable titles, we might also do well to enter with the mindset that this platform simply costs more to play. If there's a price ceiling, we might want to agree from the get-go that $30 is too low... Just my two cents.

Maybe 50? There's still some good stuff for moderately cheap. And not including long RPGs will probably help.

i was bargain bin hunting and grabbed a loose super star wars for 10 bucks (and grabbed air buster for genesis too!) never beat this game yet.

DIzqvdE.jpg

dubc35

Ha I picked up Super Star Wars recently also, well it's in transit right now. $5 on Gamestop's retro sale last weekend. I hesitated, and my expectations are low because gamestop but I couldn't pass on the price. I got Blaster Master for NES for $5 too. Super Mario 3 was $15 but sold out.

That's because it's hard as hell! I recently got it in a lot and it kicked my ass.
yeah, it's pretty hard. i hope i can finally beat this before moving on to buying super empire strikes back =)

Ha I picked up Super Star Wars recently also, well it's in transit right now. $5 on Gamestop's retro sale last weekend. I hesitated, and my expectations are low because gamestop but I couldn't pass on the price. I got Blaster Master for NES for $5 too. Super Mario 3 was $15 but sold out.

that's a geat deal! can't go wrong w/ 5 bucks =)

Timu

Every SNES should have it's tabs removed and every SNES Mini should be the same along with being RGB modded...those are the best ways to experience the SNES at it's fullest.

Teknoman

Didnt know this, but just doublechecked. The cart (Super Metroid) didnt have slots, and the Mini has indeed had its tabs removed. Nice!

Yeah the Dragon Ball Z2 I had back in the day had slots for tabs, but the other two carts (Garou Densetsu 2 and Rushing Beat Ran) didnt.

Morfeo

Every SNES should have it's tabs removed and every SNES Mini should be the same along with being RGB modded...those are the best ways to experience the SNES at it's fullest.

What do you mean, arent every Snes Mini the same?

Yeah the Dragon Ball Z2 I had back in the day had slots for tabs, but the other two carts (Garou Densetsu 2 and Rushing Beat Ran) didnt.

Ah ok nice to know. Well doesnt matter much anymore.

Btw, we need to get that game club up and running in this thread as well!

AmyS

Hey guys, are there ever certain games that you see and it makes you think of another, totally unrelated game, maybe even one for another console?

For me, it was these two games: Dahna for the Mega Drive and Musya: The Classic Japanese Tale of Horror for the SFC/SNES.

hey guys, i just won a snes mini for 35 shipped off ebay. if it works, is that a good deal for console only, no wires?

i have a regular snes w/ oem wires/ac plug and controller but wanted a sharp rgb one.
i want to try that mod thing.

already looked at that before bidding. though it looks dirty, the ebay one looks legit. the label and buttons are original. it's very low risk but just in case, have ebay paypal protection for my 35 bucks =)

edit: wow he ships fast.. it's already moving in the post office, coming march 12th, i'll open it up and post the guts.

damn, are SNES even going for enough to see these in the wild? dave just got a good deal on his!
thanks man.
wow that's so high!

they sadly do not - wish they did! ive been looking into the nanitek game saver but it seems like a mixed bag on that device

I remember playing around with this a few years back. On thing that I still remember, is that if you made a save state during a mode 7 style effect, the save would corrupt. Was able to play through Super Adventure Island (for example) with it, taking into account the Mode 7 limit.

IrishNinja

I remember playing around with this a few years back. On thing that I still remember, is that if you made a save state during a mode 7 style effect, the save would corrupt. Was able to play through Super Adventure Island (for example) with it, taking into account the Mode 7 limit.

oh wow, that's gonna be rough for some titles - i did read about save corruption being a possibility. do you recall if you played it with it plugged in to the wall, or just using the SNES' power? i read somewhere if it wasn't on its own power source, it could affect the system's output, but no idea what extent

oh wow, that's gonna be rough for some titles - i did read about save corruption being a possibility. do you recall if you played it with it plugged in to the wall, or just using the SNES' power? i read somewhere if it wasn't on its own power source, it could affect the system's output, but no idea what extent

That unfortunately, I don't remember. Would have to bring it out of storage to do some testing.

SKINNER!

Banned
Quick question to UK SNES owners, I purchased a SNES from a friend yesterday that didn't power up. The fault seems to be coming from the official power supply. I know this because I tried my friend's power supply which works perfectly with the SNES I picked up. Symptom? I plug everything in and the red LED light turns on for a split screen before it disappears. Took it home last night and gave a closer inspection to the plug and noticed that the end has been converted to a white 3-pin UK plug...The bulky power pack attached says GBR on it but the white plug makes me wonder if the plug was originally a 2 pin and whoever owned it decided to change it to a 3pin. Another thing I also noticed was that a 13A fuse was used inside the 3-pin plug. That seems kinda bizarre to me but I wanted to double check with other SNES PAL owners. Any thoughts?

For reference: The power pack that's similar to my one

I had an UK Fifa pack-in SNES back in the day. It had a fuse inside the 3 pin plug. I think the plug was black with a red area for the fuse though.

dubc35

I got my Super Star Wars cart from Gamestop from their sale last weekend. I was mistaken, I thought it was $5 but it was $7; still a pretty good deal IMO. The cart and label are in pretty good shape and some rubbing alcohol on a q-tip showed it was pretty clean too. I only played one life and died at the 1st level boss but will return to it soon.

RexRogers

Neo Member
I got my Super Star Wars cart from Gamestop from their sale last weekend. I was mistaken, I thought it was $5 but it was $7; still a pretty good deal IMO. The cart and label are in pretty good shape and some rubbing alcohol on a q-tip showed it was pretty clean too. I only played one life and died at the 1st level boss but will return to it soon.
I have a distinct memory of renting that game as a kid and getting slaughtered on the first level. I never picked it back up.

Just opened the one I got recently, and fuck, seems like I got tricked into a clone :( Wonder if the seller knew that was what he was selling or not.

shoot! that stinks.... did it have the correct label on the bottom and light purple buttons?

i'm getting anxious. mine is on the delivery truck today... i'll open mine up as soon as i get it and post if it's legit or fake.

Morfeo

shoot! that stinks.... did it have the correct label on the bottom and light purple buttons?

i'm getting anxious. mine is on the delivery truck today... i'll open mine up as soon as i get it and post if it's legit or fake.

The label seems correct with that bolded stuff, but the purple buttons are like on the fake one - which made me suspicious. Guess this also explains why it accepted Super Famicom-carts.

The label seems correct with that bolded stuff, but the purple buttons are like on the fake one - which made me suspicious. Guess this also explains why it accepted Super Famicom-carts.

are you able to return it, how recent was the purchase?

thanks man for letting me know, i'm looking for another on ebay as back up if this one needs to be returned.

update:
snes mini came in, tested it and just opened it up:
it looks legit according to the link
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=counterfeit_snes

hey guys, sorry to double post/bump this thread, but now that i have a legit mini, i was thinking of doing the RGB mod,

has anyone one here done it to a mini? there seems to be 2 options one w/ an amp and one w/o it. just wondering which one should i try to do. (no soldering experience)

Top Bottom