• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
So, did you have any luck?

I did ok. I was 6th in line. Dude in front of me claimed the SNES and Gamecube systems, so while he was doing that I got first crack at the games. Nothing super crazy, but I managed to snag a new in box sealed copy of Sim City for $3 and Mario All Stars. Everything else was commons priced a little less than retail. I left happy, but in retrospect I'm not sure I'd get up at 5am again, haha.

So I saw someone got this SDSNES in the pick up thread and was remotely interested it in. Here's the link he/she gave me: https://shop.retrogate.com/everdrive/sd2snes-buy

I want to know if this works on a American SNES? What are the pros and cons?

Should be able to get an american SNES shell for it, though that site might not offer them. The SD2SNES is a flashcart, so basically for playing ROMs on original hardware. I believe, though this isn't my area of expertise, that the SD2SNES is preferred over the Everdrive due to greater compatibility with some later carts' roms (maybe the starfox 2 ROM?).

IrishNinja

yeah, it's gonna play a handful of more titles, the Super Everdrive needs a DSP chip for those games as well. SD2SNES, you get everything but FX chip games, i wanna say - there's a wiki link that's been posted here a lot with the list.

i'm happy with my much cheaper Super Everdrive 2, though the faster loading of the SD2SNES is something i'd welcome.

-KRS-

So I saw someone got this SDSNES in the pick up thread and was remotely interested it in. Here's the link he/she gave me: https://shop.retrogate.com/everdrive/sd2snes-buy

I want to know if this works on a American SNES. If so, that's cool. If I do plan on getting it, what should I know first about it? Pros and cons?

It works on all regions.

The pros about it over the Super Everdrive is that it supports more enhancement chips other than the DSP chips, and you don't need to sacrifice a game to get DSP chip support.

The biggest con is simply that it's expensive. For some it's not worth the extra cost to be able to play games that use the enhancement chips, and honestly there aren't a whole lot of such games that are really worth playing. Here's a list of all the SNES games with enhancement chips. Take a look there and at the list of enhancement chips the SD2SNES supports and see if you think it's worth it.

If you don't care about the enhancement chip games then just get the Super Everdrive with a DSP chip installed. The ED also has a few other features like cheat support, although that is also being worked on for the SD2SNES at the moment with a preview firmware having been released a while ago.

I have the SD2SNES myself and really like it, but I'd probably get by just fine with the Everdrive. The only thing I'd miss is the ability to play Satellaview games, the built in SPC audio player and the ability to reset to the main menu by pressing a button combination on the controller.

Edit: Regarding the cartridge shell, if it's the same type I have (got mine through krikzz store) it's a universal one. So although it looks like a SFC cartridge it'll fit in a US SNES fine even without removing the tabs.

IrishNinja

yeah, part of me kinda wishes idve just paid the extra $20 or whatever and gotten mine with a DSP chip, but i don't mind switching out for Mario Kart/etc...honestly though, next time i see a cheap game with one, im gonna be tempted to grab it just for the option!

I have now officially ordered both a super famicom and a CIB copy of link to the past.

We in there, boys.

As far as plans for collecting go, I'm hoping to keep this collection very slim, only taking the really defining games that interest me. So far my list looks something like...

• Super Mario World
  • Link to the Past
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Super Metroid
  • Mother 2
  • Chrono Trigger

Are there any heavy hitters I'm missing here? I'll be picking up a SGB2 pretty soon, but that's not really the same. And I may decide to expand the collection a bit more, but right now I'm lusting after the idea of having 5-10 SFC games all CIB in nice condition sitting on my shelf staring back at me.

Based on your tastes, Mario RPG might be worth a look

You're missing some cool action games. I think Contra 3 would be a safe pick as far as console-defining games go. Castlevania 4 might fit the bill too, but it's not my cup of tea personally.

Oh, yeah actually I was intending to look over the Castlevania/Megaman offerings. Forgot about that. I'm not the biggest fan of contra, but I admit I haven't put much time in to the series, so I'd be open to trying it out. Would have to put in a bit more thought.

Mario RPG is a weird one. It appeals to me in some ways, but I've never really enjoyed the other Mario RPGs, honestly. Another title where I'd have to mull it over a bit more.

Bakkus

I have now officially ordered both a super famicom and a CIB copy of link to the past.

We in there, boys.

As far as plans for collecting go, I'm hoping to keep this collection very slim, only taking the really defining games that interest me. So far my list looks something like...

• Super Mario World
  • Link to the Past
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Super Metroid
  • Mother 2
  • Chrono Trigger

Are there any heavy hitters I'm missing here? I'll be picking up a SGB2 pretty soon, but that's not really the same. And I may decide to expand the collection a bit more, but right now I'm lusting after the idea of having 5-10 SFC games all CIB in nice condition sitting on my shelf staring back at me.
Well there are lots of lesser known hidden gems on the system which many think areon the level of your list. But it seems like you want your games as mainstream as possible?

Should be able to get an american SNES shell for it, though that site might not offer them. The SD2SNES is a flashcart, so basically for playing ROMs on original hardware. I believe, though this isn't my area of expertise, that the SD2SNES is preferred over the Everdrive due to greater compatibility with some later carts' roms (maybe the starfox 2 ROM?).

yeah, it's gonna play a handful of more titles, the Super Everdrive needs a DSP chip for those games as well. SD2SNES, you get everything but FX chip games, i wanna say - there's a wiki link that's been posted here a lot with the list.

i'm happy with my much cheaper Super Everdrive 2, though the faster loading of the SD2SNES is something i'd welcome.

It works on all regions.

The pros about it over the Super Everdrive is that it supports more enhancement chips other than the DSP chips, and you don't need to sacrifice a game to get DSP chip support.

The biggest con is simply that it's expensive. For some it's not worth the extra cost to be able to play games that use the enhancement chips, and honestly there aren't a whole lot of such games that are really worth playing. Here's a list of all the SNES games with enhancement chips. Take a look there and at the list of enhancement chips the SD2SNES supports and see if you think it's worth it.

If you don't care about the enhancement chip games then just get the Super Everdrive with a DSP chip installed. The ED also has a few other features like cheat support, although that is also being worked on for the SD2SNES at the moment with a preview firmware having been released a while ago.

I have the SD2SNES myself and really like it, but I'd probably get by just fine with the Everdrive. The only thing I'd miss is the ability to play Satellaview games, the built in SPC audio player and the ability to reset to the main menu by pressing a button combination on the controller.

Edit: Regarding the cartridge shell, if it's the same type I have (got mine through krikzz store) it's a universal one. So although it looks like a SFC cartridge it'll fit in a US SNES fine even without removing the tabs.

Thanks guys. I think I will hold this one off, not sure if I'm going to get one since I don't need one at this time. But it's really good to get something like that if you don't plan on collecting snes games. Plus, some of the snes games are expensive now a days.

IrishNinja

a complete list of specialty chip SNES games that matter, by IrishNinja

Mega man X2
Mega man X3
Pilotwings
Super Mario Kart
Kirby Super Star
Kirby Dreamland 3
Super Mario RPG
Star Ocean (?)
Star Fox
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

that's it. a few are pricey (mega mans, mario RPG) but i wanna say most aren't...i don't have Star Ocean or the Kirby games personally, and even the superior SD2SNES can't do some of em. you can prolly get the ones your'e interested in for the difference in price between that & a Super 2.0, but i get people that like having the maximum amount of compatibility they can get.

RexRogers

Neo Member
I owned Mega Man X3 for a while, but ended up selling it. It just felt like Capcom going through the motions and almost phoning it in. The music is also terrible being totally out of tune.

Well there are lots of lesser known hidden gems on the system which many think areon the level of your list. But it seems like you want your games as mainstream as possible?
I really want to focus on the "defining" titles at least for now. Like I said, at some point I may expand but right now I'm just focuses on getting the games that are synonymous with the console.
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game is well-regarded, if that's your thing. It's pricey though.

I also love the Star Wars games on SFC.
I'm not sure where I stand on licensed titles like these. Will think about it.

Thank you all.

Bar81

It's a crime how much he's going to spend on those six CIB games.

That's true, lol. From his list, I recently purchased Yoshi and Chrono sealed and it was ugly. Sold my used but mintish Chrono for over $300 recently and seen some auctions go for $400, crazy.

We in there, boys.

• Super Mario World
  • Link to the Past
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Super Metroid
  • Mother 2
  • Chrono Trigger

Are you doing CIB JP games or NTSC-U? If the former, it's criminal how little you'll pay for most games. If the latter it's criminal how much you'd need to pay.

If you want to go CIB JP you might as well just pick up every cheap JRPG, and there are a LOT of them.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

We in there, boys.

• Super Mario World
  • Link to the Past
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Super Metroid
  • Mother 2
  • Chrono Trigger

It starts like this, and boom, suddenly you have 150+ games of this amazingly deep library.

Tain

150+ sounds like you'd be dipping into the territory of owning not-so-good games that have one novel aspect or gimmick to them. But, hey, if you have the resources.

IrishNinja

I owned Mega Man X3 for a while, but ended up selling it. It just felt like Capcom going through the motions and almost phoning it in. The music is also terrible being totally out of tune.

i still haven't played it - imported my copy, figure i've got the MMX collection if i really need it translated

That's true, lol. From his list, I recently purchased Yoshi and Chrono sealed and it was ugly. Sold my used but mintish Chrono for over $300 recently and seen some auctions go for $400, crazy.

jesus wept

Not for the Genesis.

my man! was just thinking it, haha

150+ sounds like you'd be dipping into the territory of owning not-so-good games that have one novel aspect or gimmick to them. But, hey, if you have the resources.

oh i absolutely have stuff like a mostly-bad-comic-games section, so i can't rightly argue this

Morfeo

Not for the Genesis.

Definitely agree here as well.

Not all 150+ are great, that is for sure. Many of them can be regarded as "decent" to good though, like the Capcom Disney-games, Lagoon, the Konami licenced-games, the Star Wars-trilogy and so on.

Are you doing CIB JP games or NTSC-U? If the former, it's criminal how little you'll pay for most games. If the latter it's criminal how much you'd need to pay.

If you want to go CIB JP you might as well just pick up every cheap JRPG, and there are a LOT of them.
Yeah, going for CIB NTSCJ in very good/like new condition. Whole set will run me ~55$ on average.
Fair enough but six total games? That's a crime.

It starts like this, and boom, suddenly you have 150+ games of this amazingly deep library.

Those Star Wars games are actually pretty good.
All my money goes in to PSX and GB collections. Honestly the biggest reason I'm getting a SFC is for LTTP and the SGB2. It's by no means a console I intend to collect seriously for. Hence the limited plans.
Think I will pick up a Castlevania and Megaman title. In theory, it'd be nice to pick up Dracula X and Megaman & Bass, but those are a bit expensive. Will probably just go for whichever I can find a nice deal on. Also thinking about DQV.

Any opinions on the various Kirby titles?

Teknoman

Megaman X3 SNES music is great.

Seriously, Gravity Beetle, Blast Hornet, the intro stage, and Acid Seahorse? PS1 version butchered it...X is supposed to have action driven music.

Bar81

Not for the Genesis.

Even for the Genny that's pushing it. I'm at 110 or so (pretty much done on that collection) and I've definitely gone into games I like but are not top notch. And it's my favorite system by far (nothing else is more than 50-60 games). 50 or so games for a system at most is probably where you leave the classic games and then dip into lower tiers.

jesus wept

Jesus bailed on the retro market years ago, it's all El Diablo now.

Share your memories, this game turned 24 today.

Released 4/13/92

18322_front.jpg

I have none, I never played it.

Morfeo

Second that Sixteen-bit is nuts for not liking A Link to the Past. That might be the best designed game ever imo.

Peltz

I'm not a fan of the game at all lol. I remember liking Link's Awakening much better, but then again, I played it first.

I mean, it's totally legit to like Super Metroid and LA more than LTTP.

But to not like it at all? I guess stranger things have happened.

Morfeo

I want to live in a world where Metroid gets the same type of reverence the Zelda series has, lol.

Super Metroid is the SNES game that I'd hand that title to lol.

I LOVE Super Metroid as well, both amazing, god-tier games imo, and I can understand preferring Super Metroid to Link to the Past for sure.

Anth0ny

the holy SNES triforce is Super Mario World, Super Metroid and LTTP.

All three of them are the best on the platform. It's a tie :)

IrishNinja

i got an SNES, LTTP & SFII:WW the same day...it was insane. i ended up playing LTTP more (until friends came by) and its easily one of the most replayed games of all time, for me...wish my battery didn't give out years ago, i had a 0 save/death account that i beat it one sitting with!

also, totally forgot what that little sealed booklet that came with the manual said

Timu

I mean, it's totally legit to like Super Metroid and LA more than LTTP.

But to not like it at all? I guess stranger things have happened.
It would be stranger if someone hated Super Metroid.

Also, Super Metroid>A Link to the Past as well, IMO.

Top Bottom