• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

It would be stranger if someone hated Super Metroid.

Also, Super Metroid>A Link to the Past as well, IMO.

I prefer LTTP since I don't really like the combat and controls in Super Metroid. The atmosphere and graphic design is top notch in that game though.

Also said:
the holy SNES triforce is Super Mario World, Super Metroid and LTTP.

All three of them are the best on the platform. It's a tie :).
Replace SMW with YI and you might be on to something. I think even DKC 2 is a better platformer than World.

AmyS

jT6VmLV.jpg

MJ7DM4K.jpg
xRICKQH.jpg

Double Dragon Dojo has some really interesting stuff on how Return of Double Dragon / Super Double Dragon changed during its development.

Super Famicom: http://doubledragon.kontek.net/games/sdd/rrodd.html
SNES: http://doubledragon.kontek.net/games/sdd/rsdd.html
Return of/Super Double Dragon: The True Story: http://doubledragon.kontek.net/features/sddtruestory.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Double_Dragon

Development

Muneki Ebinuma, who worked as the lead game designer of Super Double Dragon, published a commentary about his involvement in the development of the game in 2004, where he detailed his original plans for the game that he was unable to fully realize due to time constraints. The game was supposed to feature cut-scenes prior to boss battles and between stages, as well as a full ending sequence, in contrast to the lack of in-game plot in the retail release (where no explanation is given as to why Billy and Jimmy Lee are fighting the enemy). The plot would've involved Billy and Jimmy Lee investigating a criminal organization known as the Shadow Warriors following the disappearances of several local martial artists, eventually coming face to face with their leader Duke, who would've been revealed to had been a childhood friend of the Lee brothers. The character of Marian was also supposed to appear in the game as a policewoman who assisted the Lee brothers (an occupation she had in the Double Dragon comic book and animated series produced around the time). While Marian is still mentioned in the instruction manual and packaging description, she never actually appears in the retail version of the game. In addition to the cut-scenes, some of the stages were supposed to have more traps and obstacles, and there was supposed to an additional boss after defeating Duke.

The Japanese version, Return of Double Dragon, features several significant differences from its American counterpart: the title theme and most of the background music were shuffled around (e.g. the Mission 1 theme from the American version is played during Mission 4 in the Japanese version) and the player can perform certain actions which cannot be done in the American version (such as retrieving a boomerang after throwing it or hitting an opponent more than once successively with the hurricane kick). The enemy placement is also different in both versions and weapons such as knives and incendiary bombs do less damage in the Japanese. Enemies can duck end combo blows, thus preventing the player from finishing their combos. The final Mission also features two additional levels before the final battle. An Option Mode is included in the Japanese version as well, allowing players to adjust the game's difficulty level, as well as listen to the game's music and sound effects.

More:
http://www.rvgfanatic.com/7401/1570820.html
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/doubledragon/doubledragon5.htm

IrishNinja

awesome scans/info, man! i remember being so hyped, but then renting it & being kinda letdown...maybe it was the really small sprites? it just never clicked, for me

Timu

awesome scans/info, man! i remember being so hyped, but then renting it & being kinda letdown...maybe it was the really small sprites? it just never clicked, for me
How slow it played was disappointing for me...but I still did a youtube playthrough of it regardless since I was in a Double Dragon mood.

D.Lo

I love Return of Double Dragon! The framerate is werid (since 99.99% of games back then were 60fps) but it's the most technical of the era's fighters, with heaps of cool looking, smoothly animated moves. Yeah it's not a masterpiece but is solid fun.

Also it's the most early 90s looking thing ever made.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Haha yeah. I am seriously considering just getting rid of all my western games and just replace them with Super Famicom-stuff, should be able to get a nice profit.

Doesn't mean it isn't real. People do dumb things in the heat of competition.

But yes it's not indicative of actual value.

Regardless, stupid people are involved on both ends whether it's BS or not. They're part of the problem with high prices of these games.

well, i find out by waiting a few weeks and look at the feedback given to the seller. it usually lists the items sold. if there is none after a few weeks, it's a strong sign it wasn't legit.

Regardless, stupid people are involved on both ends whether it's BS or not. They're part of the problem with high prices of these games.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Ebay sellers use an alt account, and bid on their own product to raise the price or to make sure it doesn't sell at very low price.

It's illegal to do, but I imagine it doesn't get checked very often unless someone reports them or complains. It's in Ebay's best interest to make a much profit as possible.

Well my SFC was delivered today. Condition's pretty good, though I don't yet have a game (as I expected it to be delivered in a couple weeks) to test it with. Cleaned up as best I could, though the gamebit screws are steadfast so I gave up opening it up today.

BTails

Well my SFC was delivered today. Condition's pretty good, though I don't yet have a game (as I expected it to be delivered in a couple weeks) to test it with. Cleaned up as best I could, though the gamebit screws are steadfast so I gave up opening it up today.

Do you have any SNES games lying around? Since you have a gamebit screwdriver, you could open one of the carts and slot the board in to test the SFC (Make sure it's facing the right way!).

Do you have any SNES games lying around? Since you have a gamebit screwdriver, you could open one of the carts and slot the board in to test the SFC (Make sure it's facing the right way!).

Nope. Never owned a SFC or a SNES. I've got LTTP on the way, but the ebay seller lied about their location and is taking a while to ship :|

BTails

Nope. Never owned a SFC or a SNES. I've got LTTP on the way, but the ebay seller lied about their location and is taking a while to ship :|

Man, I'd be off to my local shop to buy "Insert Sports Name Here 19xx" to test that bad boy out right away, haha.

Glad to hear the external condition is pretty good though! My SNES is beat up to holy hell, yellowing, and some weird paint/varnish that somehow spilled on the bottom decades ago. But it's mine, and I grew up with it, and love it.

Man, I'd be off to my local shop to buy "Insert Sports Name Here 19xx" to test that bad boy out right away, haha.

Glad to hear the external condition is pretty good though! My SNES is beat up to holy hell, yellowing, and some weird paint/varnish that somehow spilled on the bottom decades ago. But it's mine, and I grew up with it, and love it.

Yeah, it seems some company recently made a eBay store and is selling SFCs at a solid price. Got my unit with composite cable, 2 controllers (1 in stellar condition, 1 in good condition), powersupply that works from 100-240v for 55$ shipped.

Nah, it doesn't work with SA-1, S-DD1 or some other more obscure chips either. Does work with Cx4 though.

So looking at the lists of games with SA-1: Kirby Super Star and Super Mario RPG are the games I care about. Is there a cart that includes all the chips or is there something that can make SD2SNES launch those games?

entremet

SNES Game club?

We have them for NES/Genesis, figured it would be cool and gives me motivation to play these games lol.

I'd figure we prioritize stuff that we can get on Virtual Console and collection discs since SNES is insane right now.

But with n3DS SNES VC coming too seems like a good idea.

I'd be down for that. I finally got my own copy of super metroid. I'm more of a platformer/beatemup/metroidvania fan as far as snes games go and would be down for a game club on any of those.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Alright, I've been SNES-less for the last two years. I need to buy a new one. Do I want a 1-chip or an older model? My understanding is that the 1-chip is generally sharper, but there are some other issues with that variant of the system. I'm not sure how severe those issues are, though. Thus, the inquiry.

Edit: Oh, and I want to buy an SFC. What kind of adapter would work best for playing SNES games? Like, I don't want to run into any issues with Super FX stuff. Hopefully there's an easy solution -- I overwhelmingly prefer the SFC's look.

Teknoman

SNES Game club?

We have them for NES/Genesis, figured it would be cool and gives me motivation to play these games lol.

I'd figure we prioritize stuff that we can get on Virtual Console and collection discs since SNES is insane right now.

But with n3DS SNES VC coming too seems like a good idea.

Yes plz. Been toss this idead around the thread for awhile.

EDIT: 3 DKC games for like 300 bucks? Nah.

SKINNER!

Banned
It isnt perfect by all means, Gonna give it a decent clean (it's quite yellow. Might swap the front shell with my other SNES) but I'm thoroughly chuffed as I was about to send away my other SNES to get modded for around £60 excluding postage and packaging. With this one, I can sell my old one and probably get something :)

Now all I need to do is find some decent quality SNES controllers. I got some cheap ones that came with the console and they feel like plastic crap!

desk_jockey

Neo Member
Can anyone recommend a video game collection app? I am specifically looking for an app that will let me track my cib progress and how much I paid / when I purchased.

I have a very detailed excel sheet now that I use. Its great for details but I cant reference it when I am out and about.

spookyfish

Posted in the Retro-GAF thread:

So, I finally took the plunge and bought a modded Terranigma to play on my SNES (I'm in the States).

The whole Mode 7 travel sequences are really messed up, but I still somehow managed to find four of the five towers. Through some miracle, I was able to find the town and save. So, I put in some of my other old games.

It's a launch unit. So, Yoshi's Island: Plays okay, but the rotating "island" on the title screen is all fuzzy and garbled.

Final Fantasy III: black lines and other items obscuring text and the like.

ActRaiser: Seems to be fine, actually.

ActRaiser 2: Oh wow. Numbers, letters and other characters are what it shows for "fog" in Industen.

tl;dr: So, yeah. My SNES is borked.

What's the best advice, NeoGAF? Try to find an SNES that works, or just get one of the retro machines/clones off of Amazon?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I'm so bummed my SNES is effed up. : (

Danny Dudekisser

Can anyone recommend a video game collection app? I am specifically looking for an app that will let me track my cib progress and how much I paid / when I purchased.

I have a very detailed excel sheet now that I use. Its great for details but I cant reference it when I am out and about.

Doesn't google have a spreadsheet thing that's the equivalent of Google Docs?

I have never been able to find a tool that's good enough for this sort of thing other than Excel.

desk_jockey

Neo Member

I have never been able to find a tool that's good enough for this sort of thing other than Excel.

I could convert my spreadsheet to a google doc and store it on the cloud but other than my cell phone, I dont have internet access. I have to tether my phone to my laptop now to get interwebs. I dont want to have to connect to the cloud everytime I want to read from the collection sheet.

I bet you are right, there probably is not a dynamic enough solution out there.

Google Sheets.

It's what I use. Handy, too, because I can use it on my phone for when I'm at a thrift store.

(...though I need to catalog my PC library at some point...)

Danny Dudekisser

BTW (and I hate to basically bump my own question), any input on my question above about whether I should get a 1-chip and what my options are for playing US games on a SFC?

BTW (and I hate to basically bump my own question), any input on my question above about whether I should get a 1-chip and what my options are for playing US games on a SFC?

Personally I don't think the 1-chip slight sharpness advantage is worth weird compatibility issues, difficulty finding one, and price of guaranteeing finding one.

For US games on an SFC, you can:
  1. Cut the hell out of the top of your SNES to make a hole big enough for a SNES cartridge. I did this. Don't do this.
  2. Get an adapter intended for running US SNES games on PAL consoles, which would probably be available on ebay. Just make sure it has all the pins
  3. Just run them on an Everdrive

desk_jockey

Neo Member

I just grabbed a minty 1CHIP and a Monster s-video cable to replace my launch unit and questionable 3rd party s-video. I play on a sony trinitron. I noticed an increase in clarity right away, but not sure if it was cause of the console, or cable, or both. I have not played through all my games on the 1CHIP to find any compatibility issues, though those are well documented. I guess I got the 1CHIP more just to say I have one!

Danny Dudekisser

Personally I don't think the 1-chip slight sharpness advantage is worth weird compatibility issues, difficulty finding one, and price of guaranteeing finding one.

For US games on an SFC, you can:
  1. Cut the hell out of the top of your SNES to make a hole big enough for a SNES cartridge. I did this. Don't do this.
  2. Get an adapter intended for running US SNES games on PAL consoles, which would probably be available on ebay. Just make sure it has all the pins
  3. Just run them on an Everdrive

Alright, so they do have adapters with all the pins. I assume that if something works with like... Star Fox, for example, that would suggest it's compatible with everything... right?

Alright, so they do have adapters with all the pins. I assume that if something works with like... Star Fox, for example, that would suggest it's compatible with everything... right?

Uhhh I just double checked this and I might be wrong but it sounds like only the Super GameBoy, Satellaview, and the Extertainment Bike used those expansion pins so they might not be very useful. Still if I were buying one I would want to be sure that nothing is going to be incompatibly since all of the expansion chip games seem to have those extra pins.

Danny Dudekisser

Uhhh I just double checked this and I might be wrong but it sounds like only the Super GameBoy, Satellaview, and the Extertainment Bike used those expansion pins so they might not be very useful. Still if I were buying one I would want to be sure that nothing is going to be incompatibly since all of the expansion chip games seem to have those extra pins.

I'm primarily concerned about stuff like Yoshi's Island. If I can't play my US cart, then this thing ain't gonna work for me. I've seen converter carts that appear to support Star Fox, though, which makes me think I'd be in the clear. Just want to be extra sure before I commit to buying a new system.

I guess the alternative is to just buy a US SNES, but what fun is that?

Top Bottom