• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

TeaJay

MSU-1 games alone make the SD2SNES worth it, IMHO.

It's just a matter of lots of little things adding up - additional game support, faster loading, MSU-1 support ... for a one-time purchase, I didn't have any regrets getting the SD2SNES. And trust me, I went through these same thoughts myself too.

I kinda wish he made his own case and stuff to go with the SD2SNES since it is a more expensive one like with the highest Genesis one he does. It's a dumb thing to hope for I know.

It's where I'll end up getting it when I eventually do but would rather just go right to the source and like that the Mega Everdrive x7 has a boxed option directly from the maker.

I forget if I've asked this before, but how are the carts from stone age gamer? I'm always suspicious of painted/colored carts since I've only ever seen poor quality ones.

IrishNinja

i recall krizz selling shells at one point, but yeah, i bought a cheap one from alixpress or whatever and it wasn't great. thankfully, gaffers donated a few years back

my master everdrive shell should be arriving today, but $15 for it, then like $5 for shipping was one thing...when i saw the blank for did i wanna pay another $4 or whatever for screws, i was kinda done with them.
they've got some good stuff on there, but i hate shit like that

PaulBizkit

Man, i'm in Japan atm (tokyo) and i've been to Super Potato, MAN, THOSE GAMES!! I bought a super famicom, link to the past, super metroid, dkc2, ff6, CT and many more. Will upload pic later!

What places can you guys recommend me to visit (for retro games) here in tokyo??

Btw didn't know wild guns was rare in japan too.

Krelian

Forgot to post my first batch of SFC games that I got this month.
2016-12-2412.29.52-1omury.jpg
I've never had any of these games and I'm especially looking forward to some Turtles co-op action!

SKINNER!

Banned
Anyone here can help me out with a Super Game Boy 2 related issue?

I got a PAL SNES modded with a 50Hz/60Hz switch and I can't get my Japanese Super Game Boy 2 to load up at all on either frequencies. I think it might be to do with a lockout chip of some sort but I can't seem to find much info about it. All I seem to find is info about NTSC SNES being compatible with the Super Game Boy 2 if you remove the tabs but nothing of the sort for a PAL SNES. Anybody came across this issue? Would I need to mod the SNES or the Super Game Boy 2 to get it to work?

TeaJay

Anyone here can help me out with a Super Game Boy 2 related issue?

I got a PAL SNES modded with a 50Hz/60Hz switch and I can't get my Japanese Super Game Boy 2 to load up at all on either frequencies. I think it might be to do with a lockout chip of some sort but I can't seem to find much info about it. All I seem to find is info about NTSC SNES being compatible with the Super Game Boy 2 if you remove the tabs but nothing of the sort for a PAL SNES. Anybody came across this issue? Would I need to mod the SNES or the Super Game Boy 2 to get it to work?

Can you play other japanese or US games? IIRC, you need to do a lockout chip mod on the PAL SNES as well, the 50/60 hz switch is not enough. But I'm no means an expert.

SKINNER!

Banned
Can you play other japanese or US games? IIRC, you need to do a lockout chip mod on the PAL SNES as well, the 50/60 hz switch is not enough. But I'm no means an expert.

Don't have any Japanese or US games sadly but I just got back from a friend's place who has an ntsc snes and it's working flawlessly. So issue is from my SNES.

D.Lo

Don't have any Japanese or US games sadly but I just got back from a friend's place who has an ntsc snes and it's working flawlessly. So issue is from my SNES.
60Hz mod is NOT a region change on SNES. You need the lockout chip disabled as well, and even that isn't enough for many post-92 carts. You need a more serious region mod (like super CIC) or a late edition cart converter to play NTSC games on it.

TeaJay

And even then you get those annoying "this game pak is not designed for your system" errors which require you to flip the switches. Donkey Kong Country and Super Metroid come to mind.

That's one more plus for the SD2SNES, which I talked about earlier - it has auto region patching for these kinds of situations. Perfect for us euro folks who use their PAL SNES.

IrishNinja

nah, never ran into that...the SNES mod for other carts is the easiest thing to do, and my super 2.0 runs roms from every region with no issues. i can see how that's more useful for PAL systems though.

HCgamer

why is super mario world complete so expensive? it is crazy it was a pack in game the most common game around. I can buy parts one two and three at somewhat reasonable prices but world is more than I am willing to pay for such a common game.

Gozert

why is super mario world complete so expensive? it is crazy it was a pack in game the most common game around. I can buy parts one two and three at somewhat reasonable prices but world is more than I am willing to pay for such a common game.

Because the pack in game came without a box, making a complete version actually pretty uncommon.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Because the pack in game came without a box, making a complete version actually pretty uncommon.

I never in all these years thought to look it up. I had the separate boxed Super Mario World because I actually bought the SNES right after they moved to the "Control Set" without SMW packed in.... and of course I had to grab SMW too.

The box is long gone, of course. Alas.

I just did something that I'm not 100% sure I should have done. I went and bought Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2, NBA Jam, SF II, and a SNES controller from GameStop. All for $57 since they have that retro discount and I was able to use another promo code. For everything the total was $57.

However, I'm terrified of what I will get. Some people online say they have gotten fakes. Not to mention it's freaking GameStop which is the last company I want to support. The deal seemed good to me so I pulled the trigger. I just hope I don't get scammed.

IrishNinja

I just did something that I'm not 100% sure I should have done. I went and bought Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2, NBA Jam, SF II, and a SNES controller from GameStop. All for $57 since they have that retro discount and I was able to use another promo code. For everything the total was $57.

However, I'm terrified of what I will get. Some people online say they have gotten fakes. Not to mention it's freaking GameStop which is the last company I want to support. The deal seemed good to me so I pulled the trigger. I just hope I don't get scammed.

you're gonna get legit loose carts, i bet....nothing in there is worth faking. get the right screw bit for SNES games (i forget what its called, i bought a pack of like 4 that i use on every sega/nintendo/whatever cart since for like $5 online) and you'll know 100%, but you're prolly gonna get legit carts that just need to be cleaned & given a happy home.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I bet you get the real thing (loose). Whether or not they are scuffed up pieces of crap is another story, but I wouldn't worry about fakes.

Gozert

Yeah, games that are still very easy to find (regardless of actual rarity) aren't likely to be counterfeit, because there's just not enough profit in selling fakes of games that are still relatively cheap.

Now I would be very hesistant buying games like EarthBound and Chrono Trigger from a place like GameStop.

Yeah, games that are still very easy to find (regardless of actual rarity) aren't likely to be counterfeit, because there's just not enough profit in selling fakes of games that are still relatively cheap.

Now I would be very hesistant buying games like EarthBound and Chrono Trigger from a place like GameStop.

Is there a good way to get those rarer games like earthbound? I kind of want to start collecting but the price and likelihood of fakes is holding me back

HCgamer

Apparently replacement snes boxes and cover artwork for genesis games are a thing now not only fake carts. I have seen listings for boxes and artwork sellers admit it is replacement I cannot tell the difference from real thing.

Gozert

always check the PCB

Yup. I bought EarthBound earlier this year through a Dutch used products marketplace (Marktplaats), and I arranged to come over and be able to verify the authenticity by opening up the cartridge and checking the PCB.

If you want to start collecting I'd start with more common games that are still considered must-haves for the system. Games like A Link to the Past, Final Fantasy III and Super Metroid for example. These games aren't rare at all, but since there is so much demand for these games they are becoming scarcer and therefore more expensive very quickly.

illadelph

Apparently replacement snes boxes and cover artwork for genesis games are a thing now not only fake carts. I have seen listings for boxes and artwork sellers admit it is replacement I cannot tell the difference from real thing.

this is a good thing in my opinion.

shit becomes way too expensive, so replicas are created. necessity is the mother of invention.

Beartruck

My everdrive from krikzz's black friday sale finally arrived a day or two ago, and the first thing I did is load up an english rom of Terranigma so I can finally play through it properly. I have the japanese cart, but I only played to the end of Act 1 on that. Excited to see where the story goes!

Gozert

My everdrive from krikzz's black friday finally arrived a day or two ago, and the first thing I did is load up an english rom of Terranigma so I can finally play through it properly. I have the japanese cart, but I only played to the end of Act 1 on that. Excited to see where the story goes!

I just finished it again yesterday after not having played it since 1997 or something (when I was 12). I already liked it a lot back then, but I appreciate it even more now. It's really an amazing game and the best action RPG on the system by far in my opinion. It just does everything right. Great story with some surprisingly dark moments, very fun and satisfying combat, superb artwork and one of the very best soundtracks on a system that already shines in this department.

Terranigma is an amazing game. I've played it through 3 times, including on a real Australian cart with a horrible Frankenstein action replay setup. The music is just killer, and remember your magic rocks are re-usable! The plot has some real heart jerkers and pretty suprising twists.

My only real complaint is the lack of moves that Ark gets and the odd scaling on stats. You'll be doing one damage on an enemy, raise a level, and then be murdering them left and right.

Some additional tips. When you begin making choices regarding politics, ahem, watch out as you can lock yourself out of some cool stuff. It's a mini game of sorts that's tons of fun. Worth checking a walkthrough in my opinion.

My everdrive from krikzz's black friday sale finally arrived a day or two ago, and the first thing I did is load up an english rom of Terranigma so I can finally play through it properly. I have the japanese cart, but I only played to the end of Act 1 on that. Excited to see where the story goes!

Terranigma is an amazing game. I've played it through 3 times, including on a real Australian cart with a horrible Frankenstein action replay setup. The music is just killer, and remember your magic rocks are re-usable! The plot has some real heart jerkers and pretty suprising twists.

My only real complaint is the lack of moves that Ark gets and the odd scaling on stats. You'll be doing one damage on an enemy, raise a level, and then be murdering them left and right.

One of the ones where you connected two carts to it? One for the region region and hz and then the other being played? I tried to find one of those carts everywhere years ago when I wanted to play the game on a physical console. Was either that or mod my system with two switches just for the one game.

always check the PCB

Yup. I bought EarthBound earlier this year through a Dutch used products marketplace (Marktplaats), and I arranged to come over and be able to verify the authenticity by opening up the cartridge and checking the PCB.

If you want to start collecting I'd start with more common games that are still considered must-haves for the system. Games like A Link to the Past, Final Fantasy III and Super Metroid for example. These games aren't rare at all, but since there is so much demand for these games they are becoming scarcer and therefore more expensive very quickly.

So pretty much only in person? Not sure how possible that is without paying an arm and a leg. :(

I mostly want JRPGs so not sure how likely most of those would be pirated.

Wish I hadn't sold off all my carts back in the day saying I would buy boxed versions eventually :(

Gozert

So pretty much only in person? Not sure how possible that is without paying an arm and a leg. :(

I mostly want JRPGs so not sure how likely most of those would be pirated.

Wish I hadn't sold off all my carts back in the day saying I would buy boxed versions eventually :(

I actually got a pretty good deal on EarthBound, considering it's bloody EarthBound of course. A whole lot better than I would have had through most reseller websites here (I saw a loose copy for €299 once) and even better than the average eBay price with the added bonus of not having to pay for intercontinental shipping! Sometimes you just have to luck out. Keep an eye out!

I actually got a pretty good deal on EarthBound, of course considering it's bloody EarthBound. A whole lot better than I would have had through most reseller websites here (I saw a loose copy for €299 once) and even better than the average eBay price with the added bonus of not having to pay for intercontinental shipping! Sometimes you just have to luck out. Keep an eye out!

Yeah, I just don't come across it much anymore and I don't have a car anymore so I feel like it's more difficult. The couple places I came across were asking absurd prices for stuff, even crap that's not rare that's like $10+ from what it should be.

Gozert

Yeah, I just don't come across it much anymore and I don't have a car anymore so I feel like it's more difficult. The couple places I came across were asking absurd prices for stuff, even crap that's not rare that's like $10+ from what it should be.

I'm pretty lucky to live in a small yet densely populated country. Distances are small and easily covered by train (which is good, since I can't drive anymore for medical reasons).

You can always try to ask a seller if he wants to open up the cart himself and take some photographs if possible. You could then share them here if you have any doubts, so we can all weigh in. This also works if you buy anything that's easily returnable and open the carts yourself. You just need a gamebit screwdriver (3.8mm or 1.5 inch; opens up NES, SNES, N64 and Game Boy carts) which should cost around five bucks. Also useful for replacing empty save batteries.

TeaJay

Honestly, if you're into playing a rare & expensive game and not so much the collecting aspect, I would recommend getting a flashcart. Makes life easier.

e: Just spent a few hours playing E.V.O. - Search for Eden, a game I couldn't get into due to the price tag before. I remember playing a bit on an emulator a while back. Great soundtrack, but there's a bit too much grinding if you want to be competitive and the difficulty feels like it ramps up pretty fast. Granted, I only managed to kill the King Bee, so I'm not very far yet.

Pardon the advertisement, but we are going to be doing a 6th round of trying to beat every SNES game over at NA, starting at midnight EST:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=169842

I've changed things up a bit so that we're also trying to finish off the 160+ games that have never been beaten. So two separate goals, to broaden the fun.

I'd love to have some new blood join us this year if any of you are interested. Plus I'm going into partial retirement so there will be plenty to go around

Krelian

Some new stuff arrived today, or actually last week but I only got around to picking it up today.
Mostly SNES stuff, so I decided to post it here. I chose the normal Super Everdrive over the SD2SNES because the list of unsupported games isn't that big. It's mostly supposed to be a convenience so I don't have to change carts all the time. For unsupported games I'll just switch carts as usual.

Super Metroid was much cheaper than its US or PAL counterpart and it being in English is great.

Chrono Trigger is actually my first US SNES game. I was a bit concerned that I wouldn't be able to get it to run because I only have a PAL and Japanese SNES. But I can confirm that it works with adapters intended for PAL consoles. It does require another cart in the back though, so it looks a bit bulky:

I'm not sure I'm happy with this solution in the long term. Eventually I might just get the Japanese cart and switch PCBs.

Top Bottom