• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
IMHO MSU-1 support makes the SD2SNES worth it. Super Metroid, LTTP, and others with CD Quality music is worth the double the asking price. It just sounds so good.
I'm personally interested in hacks that add FMV intros from SNES -> PS1 ports, like Chrono Trigger or FFVI. Love the idea of a "complete" edition that still runs on the correct hardware.

Luckily, I have an SD2SNES en route from Ukrane right now...

Peltz

So, there is a game I want to buy for the SNES (Super Mario RPG), but it looks like "buy it now" prices on eBay jumped up significantly for it over the past 3 weeks. Should I hold off until Jan?

What's a fair price for a North American copy of that game? I'm going for a loose copy.

SKINNER!

Banned
So, there is a game I want to buy for the SNES (Super Mario RPG), but it looks like "buy it now" prices on eBay jumped up significantly for it over the past 3 weeks. Should I hold off until Jan?

What's a fair price for a North American copy of that game? I'm going for a loose copy.

Loose cart version goes for around £50 ($60 approx) on ebay. My guess that a fair price for a loose cart is £40 ($50)??

I paid like £40/£50 for my CIB copy.....back in 2009. Wish I did the same with Chrono Trigger.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Loose cart version goes for around £50 ($60 approx) on ebay. My guess that a fair price for a loose cart is £40 ($50)??

I paid like £40/£50 for my CIB copy.....back in 2009. Wish I did the same with Chrono Trigger.

Chrono Trigger was much more expensive even then. I got Mario RPG for about the same price then, and yeah, never got Chrono Trigger for that reason (and the DS port).

SKINNER!

Banned
Chrono Trigger was much more expensive even then. I got Mario RPG for about the same price then, and yeah, never got Chrono Trigger for that reason (and the DS port).

Yeah, I settled for the DS port too and I loved it to death. and even though the DS port is the best version, I still feel a need to obtain it and replay it on the SNES...dunno why. Thankfully the urge to spend money on a SNES copy has died down since I picked up a SD2SNES.

TeaJay

Got any links of SM? I looked up a couple and didn't like the soundtracks that were added.

No way I would mess with Super Metroid's prefect soundtrack but sounds like an interesting thing to check out.

This is from someone who considers the Super Metroid soundtrack to be one of the best ever in videogames: I heartilly endorse Darkshock's MSU-1 soundtrack patch for Super Metroid. It keeps the original atmosphere perfectly and adds an orchestral feel to it. To me it's a testament on why the MSU-1 patch was invented. Hook your consoles to a good amplifier & speaker system and enjoy.

I also recommend the Link to the Past MSU-1 soundtrack - it's similar quality. And an opening FMV! You can read about it here:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2483/

The Mega Man X MSU-1 tracks I tried I didn't like, because they seemed like they drowned out the sound effects. Road Blaster is also good and it's great to be able to bring in the original music tracks in Rock'n'Roll racing.

Peagles

I wanna say I got them both CIB around the same time... Mario RPG I got for $70, but Chrono Trigger cost me $150.

Olly88

I was going to buy a copy of Super Mario RPG a week or so ago, I thought it would be cool to get a Mario SNES game that I've never played around Christmas time, but the one I had my eye on sold before I could get it, which was a bit of a bummer.

I ended up getting a different game though, which should hopefully be arriving tomorrow.

I was going to buy a copy of Super Mario RPG a week or so ago, I thought it would be cool to get a Mario SNES game that I've never played around Christmas time, but the one I had my eye on sold before I could get it, which was a bit of a bummer.

I ended up getting a different game though, which should hopefully be arriving tomorrow.

i actually want that one too. congrats on the pick up!

Olly88

Thanks!

It probably worked out well that the copy of SMRPG wasn't available at the time, as it'll probably be easier to get in the future than the game I ended up getting would have been.

I'm so jealous. I've been wanting to pick up Pocky and Rocky 1 but the price has really dissuaded me. I felt somewhat burned by the length vs price for Demon's Crest so its hard to drop another $90.

I'll never be able to afford 2, but I could everdrive it. Is it much better than 1?

Pocky & Rocky 2.

I was going to avoid talking about it until it arrived as I usually seem to jinx myself when I've done that in the past, but hopefully it'll work out alright this time :p

Gozert

I'm hopefully getting a loose cart of Terranigma in the mail tomorrow. Really lucked out with finding an English version for only €40. It normally goes for €75-90 around here, but perhaps the seller got confused by all the German versions (which are becoming more prevalent than English versions these days...) going for around €40.

Olly88

I'm so jealous. I've been wanting to pick up Pocky and Rocky 1 but the price has really dissuaded me. I felt somewhat burned by the length vs price for Demon's Crest so its hard to drop another $90.

I'll never be able to afford 2, but I could everdrive it. Is it much better than 1?

I don't know I'm afraid, I haven't played the first one. Apparently the gameplay is slightly different with some additional elements, HardcoreGaming101 has some good information about it/them.

Yeah the price is a shame. I had been saving up Amazon vouchers though so I paid using those, I wouldn't have spent money on it, well... not the full amount anyway. I think I'm going to try and do the same with Earthbound, but it'll take quite a while and I'm not sure I'll be patient enough to stick with saving for the required time :p

Glad I found this thread. I finally opened up my (brother's) old SNES, and I finally took the two pennies I think I broke it with about 20 years ago. They're both dated 1997 lol.

Anyways, I don't have the cables right now to test out my SNES, but can anyone point in a direction where I can get my SNES repaired? Possibly cleaned?

NDPsycho

Pocky & Rocky 2.

I was going to avoid talking about it until it arrived as I usually seem to jinx myself when I've done that in the past, but hopefully it'll work out alright this time :p

Cool game, but pretty significant price differnce compared to SMRPG.

Olly88

Cool game, but pretty significant price differnce compared to SMRPG.

It was cheaper. The copy of SMRPG I was looking at was a bit overpriced, and I got the PAL version of P&R 2 which isn't quite as expensive as the American.

It arrived ok!

TO5CIro.jpg

It was cheaper. The copy of SMRPG I was looking at was a bit overpriced, and I got the PAL version of P&R 2 which isn't quite as expensive as the American.

It arrived ok!

oh nice condition too!
Ocean, i haven't seen that name in a while. i think i would see Robocop game ads with them.

Olly88

oh nice condition too!
Ocean, i haven't seen that name in a while. i think i would see Robocop game ads with them.

Yeah the condition was better than I thought, so that was a nice surprise.

When I think of Ocean, only two games come to mind for me... Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt and The Addams Family, two game on the SNES which I absolutely love!

This just arrived. One of my all time favorites and one I wasn't sure I was ever going to be able to own complete again. It's complete with the maps and is in really good shape with no crushing or creases on the box and only some very minor shelf wear.

Here is my small but growing CiB SNES collection.

Still so many great games from the SNES that I'd still like to get at some point.

Olly88

This just arrived. One of my all time favorites and one I wasn't sure I was ever going to be able to own complete again. It's complete with the maps and is in really good shape with no crushing or creases on the box and only some very minor shelf wear.

Still so many great games from the SNES that I'd still like to get at some point.

Nice! Great condition! I'd love to get a copy of Chrono Trigger. I've got the DS version so I can play it there, but the SNES version is one of those games that would be great to have.

Nice! Great condition! I'd love to get a copy of Chrono Trigger. I've got the DS version so I can play it there, but the SNES version is one of those games that would be great to have.

Yea, from what I hear the DS version is the definitive version as well. I own it but haven't played the DS version. The SNES version is definitely due to nostalgia since I owned it when I was younger.

BTW, nice Pocky and Rocky 2. That's another one I'd love to have at some point.

Great pickup, I have a CIB as well and it's probably my most treasured gaming item( got the DS version sealed new as well, need to crack that badboy open eventually). Might I ask how many arms and legs that set you back?

Olly88

Yea, from what I hear the DS version is the definitive version as well. I own it but haven't played the DS version. The SNES version is definitely due to nostalgia since I owned it when I was younger.

BTW, nice Pocky and Rocky 2. That's another one I'd love to have at some point.

Thanks :) I don't have any nostalgia attached to Chrono Trigger since it wasn't released here and I didn't play it until I got the DS version, but I'd still love to have it.

On a slightly different topic, I still can't believe there aren't any active SNES forums out there. It'd be amazing to have a forum full of Super Nintendo related chatter.

NDPsycho

It arrived ok!

Congrats, surprised it was cheaper, but I'm not all that familiar with prices outside the US. I paid about 4 times as much for it than I did for SMRPG, hence my comment. Very cool game to have though. The only SNES games I've paid more for are Earthbound and Metal Warriors.

Great pickup, I have a CIB as well and it's probably my most treasured gaming item( got the DS version sealed new as well, need to crack that badboy open eventually). Might I ask how many arms and legs that set you back?

All my arms and legs :)

It's a very clean copy with a nice label, includes the maps and manual, and the box isn't crushed or creased at all. The seller was asking $300+shipping or best offer. I actually made a couple offers that weren't accepted at $250 and $265 and was going to wait. The next day eBay ran one of their extra eBay bucks promo's so I decided to make another offer since I would get extra eBay bucks and ended up getting it at $280 with $17 back in eBay bucks. I guess that's about the current market value and I'm happy all things considered.

All my arms and legs :)

It's a very clean copy with a nice label, includes the maps and manual, and the box isn't crushed or creased at all. The seller was asking $300+shipping or best offer. I actually made a couple offers that weren't accepted at $250 and $265 and was going to wait. The next day eBay ran one of their extra eBay bucks promo's so I decided to make another offer since I would get extra eBay bucks and ended up getting it at $280 with $17 back in eBay bucks. I guess that's about the current market value and I'm happy all things considered.

Well hey man, happiness is a personal thing. If you feel it's worth it that's all that counts. But congrats again, as I said there's nothing more I value in my gaming collection.

Well hey man, happiness is a personal thing. If you feel it's worth it that's all that counts. But congrats again, as I said there's nothing more I value in my gaming collection.

Thanks! I wish there were more options but the truth is if you want retro games it's going to cost you in this day and age. Especially for nice copies with all the paper included.

I try to stay ahead of the curve on prices but I obviously missed a lot of the SNES games. That's why my SNES CiB collection is smaller than some of my other systems I collect for. I'll continue to add new CiB SNES games selectively while I also try and stay ahead of the crazy prices on other consoles. Chrono Trigger is one of those games I felt was necessary to buy even with the high prices. Already one of my prized pieces in my collection :)

Thanks! I wish there were more options but the truth is if you want retro games it's going to cost you in this day and age. Especially for nice copies with all the paper included.

I try to stay ahead of the curve on prices but I obviously missed a lot of the SNES games. That's why my SNES CiB collection is smaller than some of my other systems I collect for. I'll continue to add new CiB SNES games selectively while I also try and stay ahead of the crazy prices on other consoles. Chrono Trigger is one of those games I felt was necessary to buy even with the high prices. Already one of my prized pieces in my collection :)

What really ties a knot in my stomach( and I'm definitely not the only one) are all the boxes I tossed out years ago, not giving any thought whatsoever to how valuable these things would become.

Ugh. I totally agree. The only box I kept was Chrono Trigger. I also bought cib copies of FFII and Secret of Mana in the late 90s to supplement my cart only copies. I have tons of others missing boxes, including FFIII, Legend of Zelda, Shadowrun, Illusion of Gaia, Secret of Evermore, Demon's Crest and the most dreaded box toss (?) of all, Earthbound. These listed games all have manuals and maps too.

And buying a decent box alone is not cheap. I think it might be cheaper to buy a complete copy and flip the cart that comes with it. Forget it if you lost a map or insert or something.

What really ties a knot in my stomach( and I'm definitely not the only one) are all the boxes I tossed out years ago, not giving any thought whatsoever to how valuable these things would become.

Olly88

I'm missing my boxes for Yoshi's Island and Kirby's Fun Pak. Not the most expensive games or anything, but it's really annoying knowing that they're somewhere around here. Unfortunately I think the only place I haven't looked is the sheds, so I don't like to think what state they're in. I'm still desperate to get my hands on them though, for sentimental reasons.

Luckily I've never thrown any away though.

I kept some of my boxes and had most of them up until my parents sold them at a yard sale :(

Beartruck

I tossed most of my boxes In my teenage years. One of the few I kept was the box for Megaman 5, and thank god I did because that game basically doubles in value with the box.

I tossed most of my boxes In my teenage years. One of the few I kept was the box for Megaman 5, and thank god I did because that game basically doubles in value with the box.

Most of the paper from NES, SNES, and N64 didn't survive. SNES had the black boxes which make even minor wear stand out.

N64 is newer but it can be harder to find nice CiB copies of most of the games because the materials used for the boxes aren't as good, On top of that a lot of the N64 games didn't have the trays to keep the boxes from easily crushing.

It's definitely easier for those that only care about the carts but unfortunately I've fell in love with the boxes and manuals. I love looking at the amazing box art and reading through those large manuals that we no longer get.

NDPsycho

Hi doe's anybody here have Lufia 1? If so do you mind showing me your board? There's one image that's the same and it doesn't check out with snescentral's board picture I'm starting to get a little worried... Thanks if anybody can help me out.

This is the only picture I could find of the board that I have. It looks exactly the same.

http://datomatic.no-intro.org/redum...ent System/20130207_135638_1497_pcb_front.jpg

The image you posted is the same as the board in the copy I have. It matches the pcb link, but not the link they have for the front. I see now what you're talking about. I wouldn't worry about it, the board is the right board.

RexRogers

Neo Member
As someone who routinely sold their entire collection at the beginning of each new gaming generation, the idea of having boxes and manuals doesn't even factor into my collecting plans. The sad part is that before ditching everything through the newspaper classifieds I DID save everything. I just had no thought that I'd ever want to play these games again.

IrishNinja

honestly if it wasn't so much more expensive i might think so too, it's just not nearly as big a difference feature wise as the regular genesis one & the mega everdrive

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
honestly if it wasn't so much more expensive i might think so too, it's just not nearly as big a difference feature wise as the regular genesis one & the mega everdrive
It's only $90 difference.

Then again I hummed and hawed over buying any flashcart for years. I want only the best! But I can't afford it so I stick with nothing for years lol.

(SD2SNES is probably back home waiting for me in the mail when I get home from the holidays... finally)

Timu

I rather get the Super Everdrive TBH, paying so much more on the SD2SNES for very few games I would play isn't good enough.

Top Bottom