• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sniper Elite 3 |OT| "In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it.”

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
This game is glitchy as hell. Completed so many achievements but nothing has unlocked. Wasted so many fucking hours. Here's the list so far. >_>

1. Archivist
  2. The Gathering
  3. Nesting Instinct
  4. Nothing is Optional
  5. You'll try anything once
  6. Competitive Streak
  7. Wait for it
  8. Highly Decorated

Sajjaja

Simple if you played Battlefield 3/4 you get used to adjusting your sights and taking bullet drop into account to get headshots.

How can you play this game with it on? Basically plays itself then. Played V2 straight away on the hardest difficulty so that shit was off.

So...want to tell me how or....

EDIT: I'm playing on Sniper Elite difficulty.

EDIT2: What does it mean when there's an icon at the top that says Ghost?

Lizardus

Need help in Mission 2

When you come across the spot at the edge of the map where there is one guy in front the campfire and one guy sleeping on the floor, how do you take them both out stealthily? The sleeping guy somehow notices me when I try to sneak up behind the other guy.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
i love stealth games! for the peeps that have this, is the coop fun? do you think its worth buying or should i gamefly it?

Psykoboy2

Need help in Mission 2

When you come across the spot at the edge of the map where there is one guy in front the campfire and one guy sleeping on the floor, how do you take them both out stealthily? The sleeping guy somehow notices me when I try to sneak up behind the other guy.

I took them both out from the sniper's nest. However, I can't remember which I shot first. I want to say the sleeping guy was last. Basically, I waited for the one guy to walk to the water and shot him, then hit the guy awake (amazingly enough no one noticed), and then shot the guy sleeping.

Gaz_RB

I like it. More realistic and plays better.
I've only been playing on Authentic and i've just finished level 3 and onto 4 now. Took me ages. lol
I also did the same level in co-op on the difficulty before authentic (not by my choice), and we did it first go. The shooting assists and tagging made it waaay to easy.

Authentic or nothing..
*spits on ground*
lol

You and me both, brother. Authentic or bust!

Sajjaja

If you actually had distance to target, it would be easy to do.

Right now I usually have to miss my first shot just to sight the gun. Sometimes my intuition about distance is right, but often it's completely wrong.

So how would you calculate the drop if you had the distance?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

You'd get a feel for it, but it'd basically be something like one notch per 50m or something. I guess you can do something from estimating the size of the characters but it'd be more tricky.

Game needs a 'driving range' :p

aries_71

You have to know how the sight is zeroed for the given rifle. Then you have to know the bullet drop ratio for that rifle.

Suppose that M1 Garand is zeroed to 50 meters. That means that a bullet will hit exactly at the crosshair point if firing at 50 meters. Then, if firing to a target at 100 meters, you would you the first notch instead of the crosshair. But if you go to another rifle, it would be different.

aries_71

Doesn't the kill camera get old after the first one or two hundreds times? I just find that it slows the game too much, particularly in a game that has already slow gameplay (you know, sniper slow, quiet approach, no running, crouching, etc)

Xater

Doesn't the kill camera get old after the first one or two hundreds times? I just find that it slows the game too much, particularly in a game that has already slow gameplay (you know, sniper slow, quiet approach, no running, crouching, etc)

If it gets old to you you can just deactivate it.

Pretty sure you can turn it off or at least lower the frequency in which it happens in the options menu if you find it annoying/disrupting.

Edit: The Bullet Cameras option allows you to set it to the following:

None, Quick, No X-Ray, Minimal, Reduced, Normal, and Increased

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Deactivated it on my second playthrough, though I find it's actually very useful as a kill indicator and it carries with it this sense of relaxation in a way since when it engages the action pauses and you know it's a guaranteed kill. Goes well with the methodical nature of the game. That is unless you play the game like Rambo then I can see it being annoying..

Apparently there is also a Season Pass for SE3 with details on upcoming content:

-> pre-order stuff like Hitler dlc, weapons pack and mp skins pack
-> 3 new campaign missions for solo & co-op
-> additional weapons packs

All additional MP maps will be FREE !

Gaz_RB

So just to sum up opinions, is this worth getting or not? What is the gaf verdict?

It's a good and fun game, better than V2, but still not as great as it could be. It's got some jank and glitches now and then but overall it is just really fun to play. The levels are more open and you can choose to take on objectives in different orders, with side objectives and secrets. Basically each level is a decent sized sandbox and you choose where you want to go.

The sniping is good as usual, but the other guns aren't really fun to shoot. They're really inaccurate, which is probably just a design decision, but I've learned to work with it and sort of like it because it forces you to slow down and plan instead of running and gunning. Stealth is perfectly acceptable, with only a few issues. It's no Splinter Cell or MGS, but it gets the job done. The coop is a much appreciated addition and makes everything more fun.

I'm enjoying it in small doses-playing on Authentic (restart whole level if you die) so if I keep failing a mission I take a break for a while-and it really is fun to set up a perfect ambush or assault on an artillery battery or something. Like I said, it is a large step up from V2. Also I'm playing it on PC and the game is certainly not bad to look at. The graphics and performance are actually really good.

knirk

Banned
I really enjoy the game, the much more open sandboxy levels are really great.
One thing I dislike is the cover-system, or the lack of one I should say.

After being used to the ones in like Hitman Absolution and such it feels wrong not to have one in a game like this.

Nafai1123

Banned
I feel like this game could be so much better with realistic AI damage. It would also make better use of the killcam, which is 90% headshots as it works now.

Eg. Shoot a guy in the kneecap, watch it get destroyed in killcam. Guy is immobilized and starts yelling for help. Alerts other guys in the area, they try moving to his position, and you can take them out Saving Private Ryan style.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

After being used to the ones in like Hitman Absolution and such it feels wrong not to have one in a game like this.

It does have a cover system, it just doesn't stick you to objects. But you do lean out of cover/corners if you're behind it to take shots.

It's a good and fun game, better than V2, but still not as great as it could be. It's got some jank and glitches now and then but overall it is just really fun to play. The levels are more open and you can choose to take on objectives in different orders, with side objectives and secrets. Basically each level is a decent sized sandbox and you choose where you want to go.

The sniping is good as usual, but the other guns aren't really fun to shoot. They're really inaccurate, which is probably just a design decision, but I've learned to work with it and sort of like it because it forces you to slow down and plan instead of running and gunning. Stealth is perfectly acceptable, with only a few issues. It's no Splinter Cell or MGS, but it gets the job done. The coop is a much appreciated addition and makes everything more fun.

I'm enjoying it in small doses-playing on Authentic (restart whole level if you die) so if I keep failing a mission I take a break for a while-and it really is fun to set up a perfect ambush or assault on an artillery battery or something. Like I said, it is a large step up from V2. Also I'm playing it on PC and the game is certainly not bad to look at. The graphics and performance are actually really good.
Thanks for the summary have ordered on ps4.

Calmine

So...want to tell me how or....

EDIT: I'm playing on Sniper Elite difficulty.

EDIT2: What does it mean when there's an icon at the top that says Ghost?

Well the way I did it was with the wind indicator aim using that instead of your reticle and aim above their head so the bullet drop hits or alternatively just keep aiming and firing till you ge the bullet time shot :p

I'm not 100% sure on Ghost, I think it's bonus points when silently taking out enemies during ghost. I noticed during ghost I was getting +5 after silent kills.

void666

Banned

Personally i don't like the stick to cover mechanic. So i think it's better like this.

I'm really enjoying this game. Plays better than the previous game, looks good, runs smooth.

I love the xray kills. But at the same time it makes me wonder.
When i see bones, organs, brains being destroyed by a bullet, it makes me think of these characters more like people than just targets.

One more thing.

Video game logic:

TESTICLE SHOT
You are promoted!

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I love the xray kills. But at the same time it makes me wonder.
When i see bones, organs, brains being destroyed by a bullet, it makes me think of these characters more like people than just targets
Good thing they are just evil nazi scum!

kmg90

Bad news for Xbox One owners: the day one patch is not 10GB... it's 16GB!!! It's ridiculous. Now I will wait 8-10 hours to play after buying the physical version - it smells like the whole game is actually being downloaded, the thing on the disc is probably so shitty that's unplayable.

450MB on PS4.

Game is a lot of fun, pretty much a progression from V2 so if you liked that you know what you're getting into.

3D is actually quite nice. It is subtle, but it gives a nice separation when you're looking through the scope. Also I didn't particularly notice any drop in detail (although it does drop to 720p as you'd expect)

Sony's biggest feature they added in the past few updates, delta patching... sadly most won't realize how big of difference it makes and complain that they added nothing but "stability updates".....

Gaz_RB

Sony's biggest feature they added in the past few updates, delta patching... sadly most won't realize how big of difference it makes and complain that they added nothing but "stability updates".....

Wait what is delta patching? ~450 MB to 16 GB is ridiculous.

Psykoboy2

Does the game give you XP Points for not killing non-essential people or should I be killing everyone?

Kill everyone. There is no XP for getting through a map undetected or anything in the vein of MGS or Splinter Cell. Kills = points and there are no penalties.

Oublieux

Wait what is delta patching? ~450 MB to 16 GB is ridiculous.

Sony's patching method used to be atrocious; essentially, whenever a new patch came out, the user would have to download it and all previous patches every single time regardless of what version the game was on. This is why patches only subsequently grew in size. Delta patching allows the system to only download and apply the patches that the user has not yet installed.

Top Bottom