• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNSD and K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronok

I support any move to decentralise SNSD from the core of the discussion. I know it won't necessarily happen, but it might help bring in fans of kpop in general and that'd only be a good thing.

I'm honestly bored to death of arguing about them 9 girls, so I skip over most of the contents of the thread.

I actually prefer the KPOP thread in OT because it had much more varied discussion and lesser known artists would get highlighted more often. That topic is pretty much dead though, so it would be good if the new thread in the communities section could combine the two. Pretend that the "music discussion thread" doesn't exist and have people spaz out over pictures and discuss the music and artists all in one place.

As for the people who are against it, I don't see why you would be. Don't you think it would be a good thing for the thread? It's not like it would change anything for you. I don't think you find it offensive to see talk of other artists...

And seriously, why do any of the girls have to be considered "ugly" just because she's not your favourite. wtf?

Conceptor

And seriously, why do any of the girls have to be considered "ugly" just because she's not your favourite. wtf?
Yeah.. lol - I just chalk it up to trolling.

Kl5Qj.jpg

filler

Banned
As a casual fan of kpop, I found this thread very inviting in the beginning. mostly because it seemed to be centered around snsd and they were the only group I knew about.

Calcaneus

Speaking as an outsider and casual browser of this thread, I think it makes more sense to just have a general title for the thread. Discussion has kinda moved past the "holy shit who are these girls/so cute" phase for the most part and is pretty much a general kpop thread. Don't really see the need to focus on one group over the other.

Newcomers will be fine. Its not like the hip hop thread is called "GAF HOP thread of KANYE WEST", but they still worship him anyways. Anyone who sees this thread, will know that this is the place to go if you wanna talk about SNSD or any other kpop thing.

Alta1r

I support any move to decentralise SNSD from the core of the discussion. I know it won't necessarily happen, but it might help bring in fans of kpop in general and that'd only be a good thing.

I think you're misunderstanding. They're not ugly because they're not my favorite. They're ugly because I think they're ugly. Lol. I don't see the big deal in people expressing who they find attractive and unattractive. A little trash talk is entertaining. And good fun.

I'm all for getting more people in the thread and broadening the discussion to all corners of K-pop. I generally stay out of non-Soshi conversations. Unless someone's hot. Or gratuitously ugly. Lol. But I've picked up some good songs that way from this thread. But this attitude that talking about Soshi is bad or needs to be discouraged is idiotic.

Ranvier

Hyoyeon thighs <3 She's a woman amongst girls.

I just wanted to get a rise out of Alta1r :(
&#9829;HYOYEON&#9829;

PerfectHyo <3

Yoona is bottom tier in the group, along with Sooyoung. The only thing lower is Seohyun tier.

Alta1r needs his eyes checked pronto.

C'mon guys, let's talk about Wonder Girls and Secret!

hahahaha oh man, wake me up when Ranvier dumps more Hyoyeon.

All these posts were quite excellent and needed to be seen again.

Also, I don't mind that SNSD is not going to be in the new title. It doesn't really matter as the primary players have already been established and won't really change what they always talk about anyway. It will also be interesting to see how many people lurk the thread by comparing the post count to the view count. I for one plan to stay up all night and make sure my joint Hyo Yuri bomb is the second post in the thread. This way any newcomers will get a taste of true beauty before all you other guys ruin their eyes with posts of Ham, Yoona and Lim.

As for the SNSD debates I have to side with Alta1r. 90% of the fun in this thread is having debates on which girl is te hottest and posting pics and gifs trying to one-up each other. SNSD girls are posted the most because they are the most popular and they have Yuri. But the debates with the other groups are fun too. The other ten percent comes from talking about variety shows and the occasional good song. This thread really is no fun when we are all brown nosing each other. I mean, it's fucking Kpop people, it's not Mozart. Plus we have a thread for "serious" discussion of Kpop. Let's face it, most of us are here to look at hot girls. The occasional good song and entertainment from variety shows are just a bonus. So why not call a spade a spade and stop deluding ourselves into thinking this thread is anything but a "hot women" thread that has somehow slipped past the mods. Without the trivial debates it would just be Sal and dice posting random news articles and rumors from Korea. In the end I don't think the new thread will be any different then what we had here. Don't worry, if it starts to become too serious Alta1r, phono, filler, and I will get it back on track.

Now that all the trivial stuff it out of the way, time to talk about what's really important. All that cleavage hiding SNSD had going on. I dunno if the is a Korean thing or if SNSD were told to do this specifically but those girls are like the CIA when it comes to covering up cleavage. It's especially noticeable in Hello Baby since they are always bending down and leaning forward to pick up the kid. I paused and relooked many times but they always had a fucking hand there. Taengoo is an absolute pro at this even though she ain't got much going on. The only person that didn't give a fuck was Sica which makes me think it's a Korean thing and not something SM tells them to do specifically. I can't imagine it's much of an issue, only really when they are wearing European style dresses or picking up bratty babies.

**i consolidated this post into a massive essay to try and slow down the overall post count in the thread to better help Sal's chances of coming back before the switch. That guy should be here for such a momentous occasion.

(._.)

Banned
As a casual fan of kpop, I found this thread very inviting in the beginning. mostly because it seemed to be centered around snsd and they were the only group I knew about.

They were really the first group I really liked too but Hyuna made me a fan of kpop. before that I just would listen to BoA or SNSD MVs every couple months on youtube.
I guess it makes sense for their name in the title.

Niks

I'm honestly bored to death of arguing about them 9 girls, so I skip over most of the contents of the thread.

I actually prefer the KPOP thread in OT because it had much more varied discussion and lesser known artists would get highlighted more often. That topic is pretty much dead though
, so it would be good if the new thread in the communities section could combine the two. Pretend that the "music discussion thread" doesn't exist and have people spaz out over pictures and discuss the music and artists all in one place.

As for the people who are against it, I don't see why you would be. Don't you think it would be a good thing for the thread? It's not like it would change anything for you. I don't think you find it offensive to see talk of other artists...

Sorry to add more fuel to the fire, but this does not compute.
I mean, why do you guys think the OT is dead?

No one here is discouraging posting about lesser known artists, but SNSD is the most popular k-pop group out there, its kind of a given most of the threads discussions are going to gravitate around them.
If the thread is named "All purpose K-POP OT", people will then complain that it is filled with only SNSD stuff.

Deadly

The reason we actually have both threads is because not everyone wants to go through the mass of pictures. Combining them would be stupid.

This. This so freaking much. People saying Yoona is ugly because they like Hyoyeon, WTF? Why can't they both be hot (they both are hot, by the way)? Saying Sunny is the ugly one? Dissing Jessica?! What madness is this?

Any of those 9 girls walks up to me and starts flirting, you can know for damn sure I'm going for it. Anyway...

OhfJe.jpg

This, IMO, is and always will be best Sunny. Come back soon. :(

Alta1r

SNSD is the reason Altair came to this thread, so that's at least one big negative.

Wtf...are you a closet Hyogre-lover too or something? Otherwise, you got some issues.

Ranvier said:
Now that all the trivial stuff it out of the way, time to talk about what's really important. All that cleavage hiding SNSD had going on. I dunno if the is a Korean thing or if SNSD were told to do this specifically but those girls are like the CIA when it comes to covering up cleavage. It's especially noticeable in Hello Baby since they are always bending down and leaning forward to pick up the kid. I paused and relooked many times but they always had a fucking hand there. Taengoo is an absolute pro at this even though she ain't got much going on. The only person that didn't give a fuck was Sica which makes me think it's a Korean thing and not something SM tells them to do specifically. I can't imagine it's much of an issue, only really when they are wearing European style dresses or picking up bratty babies.

Lol, it's hilarious when they do it while they're wearing t-shirts too. But I guess just a force of habit.

tumblr_lvg1g1GwVR1qf4rgco1_500.jpg

Fafnir

I actually prefer the KPOP thread in OT because it had much more varied discussion and lesser known artists would get highlighted more often. That topic is pretty much dead though, so it would be good if the new thread in the communities section could combine the two. Pretend that the "music discussion thread" doesn't exist and have people spaz out over pictures and discuss the music and artists all in one place.

I'm pretty sure no one has ever complained that this thread should be Soshi onry. I can only recall some complaints about posting pics of Lim, Boram, and Hyoyeon, and that shit backfired by having more pics of them come out. I still have a feeling that the Hyo lovers are just trolling.

If you want it to be decentralised from SNSD than help make it by participating in the thread, post pics or discussion about what you want. Don't just sit there looking down your nose and then complain, "OMG please stop talking about SNSD!", post something.

But this attitude that talking about Soshi is bad or needs to be discouraged is idiotic.

Yeah I don't get that at all. The "haters" that just post snide remarks about wanting less Soshi but don't participate in any other way is baffling. People are going to like what they like and right now the main contributors to this thread are Soshi fans. In a couple years it will change but trying to suppress Soshi fandom when they are in their prime is just snobbish.

3tavE.gif

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
You guys (Ranvier, Alta1r, filler, Phonomezer) are funny. If I weren't so damn lazy, this thread would be 60% of me posting stuff other than SNSD. Just look at my tumblr. All that plus double extra from Korean HQ pic sites could be here if I had Sal's dedication. I could also go a few steps further and make a thousand gifs from all the various stuff I watch.

You all would bitch, no doubt, but your love which seems exclusive to 3 women wouldn't be near enough to counter. Some days I consider taking back the thread because I tire of your tunnelvision making it boring, but ultimately I am too lazy precisely because this thread is not my main source or outlet for kpop stuff. Of course, kpop is also less important to me than it used to be as my Korean ability increases. I also have a huge backlog on Steam to tackle.

That said...

Plus we have a thread for "serious" discussion of Kpop. Let's face it, most of us are here to look at hot girls. The occasional good song and entertainment from variety shows are just a bonus. So why not call a spade a spade and stop deluding ourselves into thinking this thread is anything but a "hot women" thread that has somehow slipped past the mods.
You guys seem really oblivious to anything other than your own narrow concerns. I see plenty of people in the thread who really do enjoy kpop in several ways and perhaps genuinely do care about the "random news articles and rumors" about idols and what they will do next. Thing is, I think their posts are minimal because the thread is consistently dragged down with your discussion banal trash-talking.

I wouldn't call the attitude shift we're proposing "brown-nosing" but rather to have the slightest shred of maturity/dignity and refrain from outright attacking any mention of something we don't like while pimping whatever we do like. It's repetitive, annoying to someone trying to share their interests, and even more annoying to people who like both and don't see why everything must be competing.

I get that the 4 of you think it's "fun" but it seems that most others find it to be a Jr High-level maturity. The "who is the best?" question and discussion comes naturally to anyone faces with so many wonderful objects of attention, but this extreme and endless trash-talk is built over time by an isolated group with a shitty sense of humor and whatever attitude it is that makes sports fans so damn obnoxious.

Biscuits

I've got no problem with OT2 being titled with something more general. We'll still be spamming Taeny pics anyways. Let's have a witty description too!

Ronok

Sorry to add more fuel to the fire, but this does not compute.
I mean, why do you guys think the OT is dead? Guys, the thread could be named "The IU, Nana and Hyuna K-pop OT" and still would be filled with SNSD posts.

No one here is discouraging posting about lesser known artists, but SNSD is the most popular k-pop group out there, its kind of a given most of the threads discussions are going to gravitate around them.

I'm not saying that SNSD conversation should be limited, I'm saying that changing the title to something more generic would encourage those who aren't interested in SNSD to join. While a thread title referencing KPOP won't discourage and SNSD fan, a thread title specifically referencing SNSD fanboy/girlism might discourage those who care about other artists.

The reason we actually have both threads is because not everyone wants to go through the mass of pictures. Combining them would be stupid.

Only this thread wasn't limited strictly to pictures, thus killing the other thread.

I'm pretty sure no one has ever complained that this thread should be Soshi onry. I can only recall some complaints about posting pics of Lim, Boram, and Hyoyeon, and that shit backfired by having more pics of them come out. I still have a feeling that the Hyo lovers are just trolling.

If you want it to be decentralised from SNSD than help make it by participating in the thread, post pics or discussion about what you want. Don't just sit there looking down your nose and then complain, "OMG please stop talking about SNSD!", post something.

Yeah I don't get that at all. The "haters" that just post snide remarks about wanting less Soshi but don't participate in any other way is baffling. People are going to like what they like and right now the main contributors to this thread are Soshi fans. In a couple years it will change but trying to suppress Soshi fandom when they are in their prime is just snobbish.

3tavE.gif

Like I said, I'm not trying to stop them posting about SNSD, that's fine. I'm just saying that changing the title encourages new members which can aid in the discussion of things unrelated to them. I'm not actually against them, dispite not really liking anything they've done in 2011. I mean I went to Paris to see them. I just like variety. :p

As for why I don't post more, well I used to be more active. I might be again at some point. :p

That said...

You guys seem really oblivious to anything other than your own narrow concerns. I see plenty of people in the thread who really do enjoy kpop in several ways and perhaps genuinely do care about the "random news articles and rumors" about idols and what they will do next. Thing is, I think their posts are minimal because the thread is consistently dragged down with your discussion banal trash-talking.

I wouldn't call the attitude shift we're proposing "brown-nosing" but rather to have the slightest shred of maturity/dignity and refrain from outright attacking any mention of something we don't like while pimping whatever we do like. It's repetitive, annoying to someone trying to share their interests, and even more annoying to people who like both and don't see why everything must be competing.

I get that the 4 of you think it's "fun" but it seems that most others find it to be a Jr High-level maturity. The "who is the best?" question and discussion comes naturally to anyone faces with so many wonderful objects of attention, but this extreme and endless trash-talk is built over time by an isolated group with a shitty sense of humor and whatever attitude it is that makes sports fans so damn obnoxious.

I was going to add more about the constant mudslinging, but I think this does a better job, so I'll quote it in support.

vanty

How about we have one thread for normal posters, and a separate one for the 4 or 5 kids who use the term "Hyogre". That way everyone will be happy.

Dice

Listening to Trouble Maker. The beeping sounds remind me of Laser Beam by Perfume, which is a much better song, so then I want to switch to listen to that.

Vl003.jpg

Ronok

Listening to Trouble Maker. The beeping sounds remind me of Laser Beam by Perfume, which is a much better song, so then I want to switch to listen to that.

Vl003.jpg

On first listen I'm not really enjoying any of the songs in the mini... I could listen to Time, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do so. The rest I would avoid. It kind of feels like they through the two of them together for the sake of it. They don't really sound good together.

Biscuits

The first 2 synth chords remind me of Tonight. And then I realize that the guy's a Bigbang reject.

Sal, you should've posted the MAMA live version :p

Deadly

Only this thread wasn't limited strictly to pictures, thus killing the other thread.
There was a few ground rules established before. It'd be picture posting, often running man, and anything promotion related here. And everything else in the other one. Heck it still pretty much is like that. The more serious reviewing of albums still takes place in the other thread. The "Daesung Incident" was in the other thread. I remember some drama talk was in the other thread too
If I weren't so damn lazy, this thread would be 60% of me posting stuff other than SNSD. Just look at my tumblr. All that plus double extra from Korean HQ pic sites could be here if I had Sal's dedication. I could also go a few steps further and make a thousand gifs from all the various stuff I watch.
That's a stupid argument sorry. If any of us weren't lazy every post would be a photo-bomb.

Dice

That's a stupid argument sorry. If any of us weren't lazy every post would be a photo-bomb.
No, that's my very point. Their notion of such a dominance in this thread is absurd because even I could topple it all by myself. A majority is just that, it's the larger number of people. The fact is we have plenty of people in the thread who are interested in all sorts of kpop stuff, not just SNSD.

As I listed earlier, we have discussed tons of other kpop stuff in here, and right now it just seems extra-SNSD because they have been promoting their new album over the last month. That will fade, as every group goes through promotion cycles, and other things will get talked about more. The more open the thread is in the intent to welcome all, the greater the majority may contribute with all their varied interests.

Anyone who really thinks the thread is 80% Soshi simply hasn't been paying attention to non-Soshi stuff over the last year, because there has been a ton of it. They are saying title-or-not it will remain a Soshi thread, and I am saying title-or-not this is already a generalized kpop thread and they are deluding themselves against that reality by staying too caught up with their repetitive rivalries to realize other people here discuss other things.

Ronok

There was a few ground rules established before. It'd be picture posting, often running man, and anything promotion related here. And everything else in the other one. Heck it still pretty much is like that. The more serious reviewing of albums still takes place in the other thread. The "Daesung Incident" was in the other thread. I remember some drama talk was in the other thread too

Of course that's pretty much all that's talked about in here, because "anything promotion related" is a huge chunk of kpop related discussion. That covers any performances, all variety show appearances, all interviews, announcements of albums, etc.. There isn't much left for the other thread really. And when things are discussed it's at such a slow pace it's incredibly easy to miss the thread getting bumped.

The most prolific posters post in both threads anyway, so what's the point in having them seperated?

Alta1r

Dice said:

Horseshit. First off, you talk shit just as much as anyone else in here. Generally not in a straight-forward, direct way, but you definitely let it come through. I don't want to hear it. Second, you make it sound like any time someone wants to talk about something, someone else comes in and shoots it down by talking shit about it. Bullshit. 99% of the time a conversation gets started, no one says anything bad and the conversation runs its course until a new one overtakes it.

Sal said:

Whoa, that really was her midsection??

DXPett1

I thought this was the light-hearted thread and contains things other than just kpop (like variety shows, celebs etc...) while the OT was serious chats about Kpop

Edgeward

I really like the single of Troublemaker, not what I expected, but still quite good. And the whistling is amazingly catchy, such a sucker for those in songs.

Dice

Generally not in a straight-forward, direct way
That's the difference between expressing your views and arguing.

Anyway, my main point is that the apparent soshi dominance here is an illusion. They may make up the largest slice of the pie, but they are still slice-sized in the grand view of things here. Some may find it the best part, or even the only reason they post in this thread, but ones personal focus on a single aspect doesn't change the broader reality of what the thread is for others.

Alta1r

Anyway, my main point is that the apparent soshi dominance here is an illusion. They may make up the largest slice of the pie, but they are still slice-sized in the grand view of things here. Some may find it the best part, or even the only reason they post in this thread, but ones personal focus on a single aspect doesn't change the broader reality of what the thread is for others.

Lol, well then... That is not what I was arguing about. My point was that the occasional trash-talking is fun and good for the thread. Or at least not harmful to it.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFUCKKKKK

trouble licka

also, comments disabled? probably for the best "OMG THIS IS TOO SEXUAL, BAN THIS NOW"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom