• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNSD and K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

venison crêpe
Salazar said:
p9U5a.gif

Holy hellfire.

vanty

sykoex said:
Are there any openly gay Korean celebrities? I read some thing a while ago about this guy saying he isn't gay, but he's probably the most obviously gay person on the planet apart from Louie Spence. Is it just a cultural issue?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
vanty said:
Are there any openly gay Korean celebrities? I read some thing a while ago about this guy saying he isn't gay, but he's probably the most obviously gay person on the planet apart from Louie Spence. Is it just a cultural issue?
Well he's an "idol" so if he was in any type of real relationship his fans would have a conniption fit. I wish once I'd hear about one of these stars being in a relationship but I guess management keeps a tight leash on them.

Salazar said:
http://i.imgur.com/yaMFZ.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
...For the love of..

Peru

Heh.. it's ok for the whole family to be exposed to that as long as it's not on tv! That's one hell of an outfit, though.

Tristam

vanty said:

There is a transsexual pop singer (Harisu), but homosexuality is extremely taboo in Korea. Virtually no one comes out of the closet for fear of the family's reaction and to spare the family the shame--and it's not uncommon to speak to Koreans who believe that there really aren't any gay Koreans.

The times are a changin', though--I remember just last year SBS broadcast the first mainstream K-drama about a gay couple. It'll take a while, but it'll change.

Salazar

Tristam said:
There is a transsexual pop singer (Harisu), but homosexuality is extremely taboo in Korea.

Heechul in particular seems to be able to cross-dress like a boss.

Not that there's a precise correlation or signification, but still. The apparent cultural acceptance (and more than acceptance) of androgyny and such seems out of place with the taboo.

Peru

There's a famous actor, Hong Seok-chun, who's openly gay as well. Was fired from his tv job when he came out in 2000, but now he's a regular on some shows, like Strong Heart.

Xilium

So I've been going through and listening to whole albums of the various major girl groups and think I've found most of the songs I like (even purchased a few whole albums). So I've gone through SNSD, BEG, T-ara, Secret, Kara, Wonder Girls, After School, f(x), 4minute, and 2NE1. Any other standout girl groups I should check out?

Otherwise, I think I will start branching out into single artist and boy groups. Need recommendations for theses areas though. Only boy group song I have atm is 'Sorry, Sorry' (saw this in related and couldn't help but link to it) by Super Junior and the only solo stuff I have is from Narsha's solo album.

My taste are kinda all over the board but if it helps, BEG's earlier stuff is my favorite from the above mentioned girl groups (only really liked 'Sign' and 'Abracadabra' from Sound G. but a good chunk of everything before that I find good). SNSD's hit singles are good but most everything else is...meh. Not painful to listen to or anything but not much stands out to me besides 'My Best Friend'. Kara is Kind of the same deal. 'Two of Us' is my favorite non-hit single by them so far but I think that overall I like more of their songs than SNSD's. T-ara was kind of a slow burn but they are really growing on me. The more I listen to their stuff, the more I like them though I more prefer their songs like 'Apple is A' and 'Like the first time' and less like 'Bo Peep Bo Peep' and 'I Go Crazy Because of You' (those songs aren't bad but I think they do better with the less...I don't know, techno dance songs). For the rest, it's pretty much 4minute=2NE1 > Wonder Girls > Secret > f(x) > After School.

Quick Edit: Figured I might as well link to the songs I mentioned just in case some people haven't listened to them though I think the ones I posted are mostly well known.

Biscuits

Xilium said:
So I've been going through and listening to whole albums of the various major girl groups and think I've found most of the songs I like (even purchased a few whole albums). So I've gone through SNSD, BEG, T-ara, Secret, Kara, Wonder Girls, After School, f(x), 4minute, and 2NE1. Any other standout girl groups I should check out?

Otherwise, I think I will start branching out into single artist and boy groups. Need recommendations for theses areas though. Only boy group song I have atm is 'Sorry, Sorry' (saw this in related and couldn't help but link to it) by Super Junior and the only solo stuff I have is from Narsha's solo album.

My taste are kinda all over the board but if it helps, BEG's earlier stuff is my favorite from the above mentioned girl groups (only really liked 'Sign' and 'Abracadabra' from Sound G. but a good chunk of everything before that I find good). SNSD's hit singles are good but most everything else is...meh. Not painful to listen to or anything but not much stands out to me besides 'My Best Friend'. Kara is Kind of the same deal. 'Two of Us' is my favorite non-hit single by them so far but I think that overall I like more of their songs than SNSD's. T-ara was kind of a slow burn but they are really growing on me. The more I listen to their stuff, the more I like them though I more prefer their songs like 'Apple is A' and 'Like the first time' and less like 'Bo Peep Bo Peep' and 'I Go Crazy Because of You' (those songs aren't bad but I think they do better with the less...I don't know, techno dance songs). For the rest, it's pretty much 4minute=2NE1 > Wonder Girls > Secret > f(x) > After School.

Quick Edit: Figured I might as well link to the songs I mentioned just in case some people haven't listened to them though I think the ones I posted are mostly well known.
I'm surprised you haven't checked out Big Bang! Definitely look into them. Recommended songs would be I guess Lies, Haru Haru, Sunset Glow, Last Farewell, My Heaven, and their most recent singles Tonight and Love Song. Also check out their Japanese stuff, some of it's pretty good. They're earlier debut stuff is more rnb, so if you like that look into it.

Each of the members have their solo projects as well. G-Dragon and Taeyang's solo albums are especially popular.

Salazar

Xilium said:
Any other standout girl groups I should check out?

I will mention Davichi. I like their work as guests more than I do their own stuff, but they can damn well sing.

ayy7q.gif
xkLH5.gif

As far as boy groups go, Shinee and BigBang are the two I completely goddamn adore.

Xilium said:

For boy groups check out the big names like big bang and TVXQ. Beast/b2st is a good group, actually like a lot of their songs.

Xilium

So Big Bang, Shinee, TVXQ, and Beast for boy bands and Davichi as another girl group. I kinda figured I would need to listen to Big Bang but I've only heard of the others though the variety programs. I only follow K-pop through song recommendations in this thread and some of the major variety shows which is why I asked. I'll get started on the groups mentioned.

Xilium said:
Any other standout girl groups I should check out?

Just a quick listing of other groups that show up in this and the kpop thread that you didn't mention.

Miss A, Rainbow, Sistar, A-pink, Girl's Day.

You also might want to try checking out the first generation girl groups like SES, fin.K.L, and baby v.o.x though the styles of music have changed in the last 10 years somewhat.

I can't really tell what you might like since your tastes seems to depend more on the group than on particular styles (dance vs slower).

Blablurn

Xilium said:

5DOLLS and Lee Hyori! and yeah, 4Minute are sooo good, you gotta love them.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Salazar said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZsSnk4FMDA
Wow, Sori went into some kind of dunken boxing kung fu dance mode. Figures that the b-girl girl would have a sense of gyro-physics.

Xilium

lol, guess I should've known I was gonna get bombarded with recommendations.

My preliminary opinion based on the first 2 or 3 songs (usually highest viewed) I came across on youtube.

Davichi - Good
fin.K.L - Above Average
Lee Hyori - So-So (The GaGa backup dancers were funny though)
Big Bang - Good
Shinee - Above Average
TVXQ - Will probably just stick with 'Keep Your Head Down'
Beast - So-So
Miss A - meh
Sistar - So-So
Rainbow - meh
A-Pink - So-So (One of those girls looks like Lizzy's twin)
Girls Day - Above Average
5DOLLS - Good
S.E.S - Good (First thing that came to mind was 'Korean TLC')
Baby Vox - Above Average

Peru

"Miss A - meh
Sistar - So-So
Rainbow - meh"

is the trilogy of WRONG, but I have to add the best boy band album is probably Big Bang sub-unit GD&TOP - Vol 1. Taeyang's solo album Solar is also great rnb, and the same goes for this year's "Take a Deeper Look" by Jay Park.

Conceptor

Salazar said:
Damn, Conceptor. You weren't lying about TOP being crazy for Hyori. So awesome.
Yeah, then you think back to that 2008 MKMF perf.. what a boss.

Xilium said:
'Sorry, Sorry' by Super Junior
Didn't see them in your prelim. list so I thought I'd add Bonamana was also pretty popular.

Salazar said:
http://i.imgur.com/ologj.gif
Jung-A, Rania, Nana, Hyuna, Jiyeon cut on 100/100 Sports Special: http://youtu.be/Rd47dwgK3vQ

I like this version/video of 2NE1's Lonely more than the MV lol: http://youtu.be/fgZpFzfo8uM

Big Bang running around after finishing their Love Song MV made me laugh hahah :lol : http://youtu.be/_hi64BZNgG4

Blablurn

when people talk about shinee i think about lucifer.. almost the same with super junior.. it's just sorry sorry for me. two awesome songs... but the rest? not nearly as good. and i listened to the albums.

but still, both songs are all time favourites.

Peru

Shinee's best single is Replay. And Super Junior's greatest is Bonamana. A Sorry Sorry remake, yes, but improved, sharper.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Click for hi res:

Kind of an old pic so most newer stuff isn't on here, but it goes back to stuff like Fin.K.L. and g.o.d.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom