• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNSD and K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

o67S8.gif
1tRU2.gif

daew8.gif
X9FqF.gif
p9U5a.gif

Hyunah gifs for Ash.

Blablurn

btw, whats the deal with korean fans singing during the songs performed by korean singers. i'm not talking about the actual lyrics. about all these stuff when u they singers dont perform, for example in the beginning or in th end? it's like a part of the song. i hope u guys know what i mean.

if yes, whats the deal behind it? just for fun? or is it some kind of cheering?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Blablurn said:
if yes, whats the deal behind it? just for fun? or is it some kind of cheering?
For fun and to show them support, similar to chants in sports. That comparison has a bit more depth than you may realize, because many fans have a favorite recording agency and they cheer for groups that come out under that agency. Then more specifically, for their very favorite group, they are appointed official colors and objects to use to show support. Fans will often arrange to sit in the same area in the audience so there is a clear section where the performers know where their fans are. Fan groups also have their own names, like Kara has the Kamilia, which is Kara + Familia.
This is one of the more sensible fangroup names.

I'm not exactly sure how much of this was the fans idea and how much of it was from the encouragement of agencies ingenious merch concepts, but it is definitely something that has developed more and more over the years. Another big factor is the fact that these artists perform live on multiple shows per week, each show starring a dozen or more artists, and most of them giving an award to whoever was leading the music charts each show tracks. This competitive atmosphere is no doubt a major contributor to the mindset of picking a group and being a fan just for them.

Also, again similar to sports, these artists are recruited by agencies, trained for a debut, and their career is based on time-limited contracts that they may or may not renew based on their success and personal feelings. So agencies kind of show off new artists coming up, and if you like them it is nice to let the new, undoubtedly nervous kid have some real support greet them at their first stage, and continued and growing support can encourage them through the fairly grueling idol life and perhaps continue longer than they otherwise would have. A very loudly positive response can also send a message to management that they are an artist worth investing more in.

It is a lot different from the music scene here were you have either major labels using massive resources to create unstoppable megastars or indie bands trying to make a living off their personal art. Idol stars usually aren't so much seen as artists as performers, good kids who are working hard to bring everyone a little happiness. Compared to movie stars, their prestige is quite small, and the real passionate fans are mostly comprised of younger demographics even though they are generally appreciated even by grandparents. Agencies can make top-notch stuff now, but every venture is still quite a sizable investment of their available resources with a decent amount of risk to the company involved.

JKTrix

It is some kind of cheering, and often organized if they're all saying the same thing. Based on my 'experience' with Japanese idols. Online communities, such as this one, arrange the chants beforehand and maybe even rehearse. I saw one program on Japanese TV where the 'composer' of some chants for a particular group handed out pamphlets with instructions at the entrance to one of their concerts. It's pretty hardcore stuff.

Rhythm Heaven on DS had a minigame where you played as one of them doing a chant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMrlxFryUIQ

Salazar

Dice said:
Also, again similar to sports, these artists are recruited by agencies, trained for a debut, and their career is based on time-limited contracts that they may or may not renew based on their success and personal feelings.

Or they might just cull the lazy dudes, like happened with U-KISS.

Wortany

I was wondering about the song Beautiful Stranger on their new Japanese albums.
Could it be related to Clazziquai's Beautiful Stranger?

It's no secret that Taeyeon (and maybe other members) likes Clazziquai a great deal.
Of course I know Madonna also got a song with the same name but there isn't much correlation between her and SNSD.

Eh, it's prolly not related at all but the name just jumped out since I've been listening a lot to Clazziquai lately.

Blablurn

Dice said:
For fun and to show them support, similar to chants in sports. That comparison has a bit more depth than you may realize, because many fans have a favorite recording agency and they cheer for groups that come out under that agency. Then more specifically, for their very favorite group, they are appointed official colors and objects to use to show support. Fans will often arrange to sit in the same area in the audience so there is a clear section where the performers know where their fans are. Fan groups also have their own names, like Kara has the Kamilia, which is Kara + Familia.
This is one of the more sensible fangroup names.

I'm not exactly sure how much of this was the fans idea and how much of it was from the encouragement of agencies ingenious merch concepts, but it is definitely something that has developed more and more over the years. Another big factor is the fact that these artists perform live on multiple shows per week, each show starring a dozen or more artists, and most of them giving an award to whoever was leading the music charts each show tracks. This competitive atmosphere is no doubt a major contributor to the mindset of picking a group and being a fan just for them.

Also, again similar to sports, these artists are recruited by agencies, trained for a debut, and their career is based on time-limited contracts that they may or may not renew based on their success and personal feelings. So agencies kind of show off new artists coming up, and if you like them it is nice to let the new, undoubtedly nervous kid have some real support greet them at their first stage, and continued and growing support can encourage them through the fairly grueling idol life and perhaps continue longer than they otherwise would have. A very loudly positive response can also send a message to management that they are an artist worth investing more in.

It is a lot different from the music scene here were you have either major labels using massive resources to create unstoppable megastars or indie bands trying to make a living off their personal art. Idol stars usually aren't so much seen as artists as performers, good kids who are working hard to bring everyone a little happiness. Compared to movie stars, their prestige is quite small, and the real passionate fans are mostly comprised of younger demographics even though they are generally appreciated even by grandparents. Agencies can make top-notch stuff now, but every venture is still quite a sizable investment of their available resources with a decent amount of risk to the company involved.

woah, thanks for the message man. that was definitely a good read!

Conceptor

vas_a_morir said:
Oh Yuri. What once was, may never be once more. :( I'm finna take her to 5-guys.

Gotta get them to shoot more goobne chicken commercials!

VKyHOl.jpg
eJ96Jl.jpg

Some Vita500 wallpapers
omg Taengoo

UGJhvl.jpg

ahWEAl.jpg

0SDNkl.jpg

@_@
SC5Cql.jpg

7wBUKl.jpg

sup Ash :lol
OUJ56l.jpg
drxOdl.jpg

RM 18 with the cruise ship and all the Titanic imitations was hilarious
SpartaKook taking out all 5 prisoners and then stopping Ji Hyo last minute was awesome :lol

Ashhong

I dont know if I should be jealous of the nephew or feel sorry for him. On one hand, its gotta be super awkward later on once you realize who your aunt is and how fucking hot she is. But then on the other hand he gets to be around her...

Xilium

Ashhong said:
Exactly. She doesnt seem to do it for the exposure or screen time. I assume this because she barely has any. She just really likes being on it. She needs to come back...
I heard that "flower boy" was leaving/has left the show and I was hoping that Lizzy would take his place as a permanent member. I think the fact that she wasn't getting a lot of screen time though will likely be a reason why her manager wont let her do the show anymore (her schedule is probably a lot more busy now as well).

Speaking of RM, I'm finally fully caught up with all the English translated episodes. Gotta find out what my next series is gonna be.

Ashhong

Xilium said:
I heard that "flower boy" was leaving/has left the show and I was hoping that Lizzy would take his place as a permanent member. I think the fact that she wasn't getting a lot of screen time though will likely be a reason why her manager wont let her do the show anymore (her schedule is probably a lot more busy now as well).

Speaking of RM, I'm finally fully caught up with all the English translated episodes. Gotta find out what my next series is gonna be.

I'm pretty sure her managers arent stopping her from doing the show. It's like one of the most popular show on Sundays or whenever and any exposure is good exposure. However I think she's just too busy at the moment. The producers arent planning on replaying Joongki right now. They are just seeing how it goes.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
MJpbE.jpg

Narsha
Vs.
Ga-In
zrKxK.jpg

Supposedly the Brown Eyed Girls comeback is coming up by the time summer hits, can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom