• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So G2A is a no go, right? Legit sites that don't rip you off?

So earlier this year i found out about G2A. Had never Bothered with the site before but someone told me i should take a look there. Those prices looked great to me and i decided to buy stuff there, gift cards here and there and at that time i wasn't aware of all the problems people have had. I honestly wasn't aware. But i believe it was last month that someone on Xbox Reddit made a thread that his XBL account was banned due to theft/fraude i believe it was. Dude had bought about 5 gift cards worth 50 dollar or something from G2A. People responded to him and some indie developers chimed in as well.

I don't know how it ended for him and if it's truly due to buying cards on G2A but it was crystal clear in that thread that the majority of people warned potential buyers for the website. So yeah the prices are nice, but it's not worth risking my account over, plus i'm not exactly helping developers either. With that out of the way....

What are some legit sites that don't rip you off when selling gift cards? You have these sites that charge you a dollar extra or more for whatever reason. It's a shame MS doesn't allow my Paypal anymore when trying to buy gift cards for the US Xbox store on the US site. I loved how a few months ago it would let me buy gift cards starting at 1 dollar. I've been buying games on the US store ever since launch because i don't like being ripped off on the Dutch store. For example they ask 70 euros for Injustice 2 digital. Which is about 78 dollars.

So yeah....what are legit sites that maintain fair prices for gift cards?

LewieP

CDkeys.com are great.

I have bought stuff on g2a and never had any problems. I have also sold (legitimately purchased) games on g2a and found it pretty smooth. Last time I checked the games industry was still there.

ExoSoul

Banned
Giftcards?

Amazon when it has sales

QUOTE=LewieP;238019001]CDkeys.com are great.

I have bought stuff on g2a and never had any problems. I have also sold (legitimately purchased) games on g2a and found it pretty smooth. Last time I checked the games industry was still there.[/QUOTE]

Just because you didn't get scammed nor scam others the myriad of documented scams magically disappear?

G2A and Kinguin are the main bad ones that you should avoid. These sites are key ebay websites that allow anyone to sell.

If the key is coming from the site owners themselves instead of a random guy, you're already much safer from crooks.

kiyomi

CDkeys.com are great.

I have bought stuff on g2a and never had any problems. I have also sold (legitimately purchased) games on g2a and found it pretty smooth. Last time I checked the games industry was still there.

"I didn't get fucked over so it's all good"

Steiner

Banned
Honestly I usually scan our B/S/T thread in the community section here when looking for console shop cards. Can usually get a few bucks off.

For games I've been keeping a close eye on Bundle Stars lately. Their prices are the best when the right sale comes along.

BiggNife

Cdkeys is legitimate.

G2A and Kinguin are second hand key resellers that often won't refund you if you get a bad key, even with their "insurance." Cdkeys buys all of the keys themselves and then sells those directly to the consumer, and I've heard their support is solid.

Granted, what Cdkeys is doing is buying keys in bulk from a region like Russia and then selling those, so it's technically grey market and its up to you to decide if you're ok with that. But it's still much better than G2A, which acts like a shitty middleman to sketchy resellers that could be selling pirated keys.

CDkeys.com are great.

"I didn't get fucked over so it's all good"

Yeah the thing is, i could say the same. No issues at all so far and always very very fast and always from sellers with a ''perfect'' rating. However the one time my brother bought a gift card he received a message from XBL that the code had already been redeemed.

When that happened i should have realized this shit can't be right. But hey better late than never.

Thanks for the recommendations people.

Vintage

Yeah the thing is, i could say the same. No issues at all so far and always very very fast and always from sellers with a ''perfect'' rating. However the one time my brother bought a gift card he received a message from XBL that the code had already been redeemed.

When that happened i should have realized this shit can't be right. But hey better late than never.

Thanks for the recommendations people.

Same for me. Bought several games on G2A, worked fine, but my friend recently bought one and it wasn't legit. Better stay away and stay safe.

Cdkeys is legitimate.

I've bought like 7 games from them and never had an issue. Well, sorta. They had some misleading wording for Elder Scrolls Online and I thought buying Tamriel Unlimited and Morrowind would get me the original games "DLC" since it said Morrowind + DLC (and in the wording implied it came with "all DLC" for ESO) but in fact it was just DLC that is launching with Morrowind--at least from what I gathered from the ESO site after the fact.

FinalAres

Really sorry to derail, but does anyone happen to know if there's an equivalent for PS4? Just got a PS4 and want to pick up FF7 but at sale price. Happy to wait for a sale, but thought I'd ask and didn't want to make a whole thread. Sorry!

daxy

I always use PCgamesupply for my PSN/eshop/etc. cards. Good prices, zero issues. The entire business of selling game cards online is kinda shady though.

You can buy eShop and PSN cards from PayPal. They're probably the most legit online source tbh.

I mean you can try to buy from g2a and kinguin but its at your own risk. I've bought from both and had my share of issues with them but I was lucky and got my issues resolved, but that wont excuse the sites from being shady. Cdkeys is great though. Greenmangaming is okay as well.

Kudo

CDKeys is great if you want to spend money wise, mainly use them for PC games.
I had problem with transaction once and support was very fast in resolving the issue.

JBwB

I've purchased keys from CDKeys, G2A, GMG and various other key resellers.

Honestly can't say I've had any problems with G2A but you might want to be wary of using it regardless.

Tizoc

Gamersgate.com and humblebundle.com r both legal and have points reward system
Dlgamer and gamebillet are also legal and have good discounts too

Mozendo

Green man gaming isn't a key reseller, unlike g2a, cdkeus, etc. They get their keys directly from publishers unless something has changed from the site and I'm not aware

Linkark07

Banned
Same for me. Bought several games on G2A, worked fine, but my friend recently bought one and it wasn't legit. Better stay away and stay safe.

The main problem of G2A isn't that they may sell you used keys, it is the fact that many of the keys that are sold there are stolen using fraudulent cards for example. Like a developer said, if you plan to buy from G2A, better pirate our game instead of buying from them. At least pirating they won't have to deal with chargeback fees.

dcx4610

I've never had a single problem on G2A or CDKeys. The way G2A works is a bit more risky though. It's kind of like eBay and you have to trust that the key is legit where CDKeys are just straight up resellers.

With any grey market site, you're taking a risk and if you have to determine if that's worth it. For me, zero problems.

Se_7_eN

GMG / GreenManGaming is amazing.

You can get around 30 - 25% off new games most of the time with their free VIP membership.... Not sure how I got in though.

cdkeys.com is legit AF, most of my PC purchases are from there cuz why not? I got a Tekken 7 pre-order for $29, beats out even BB GCU or Amazon pre-orders

but I never had issues with G2A either the few times I've used em. They seem like a pretty scummy company so I try to avoid em usually.

Mechazawa

Gamesplanet consistently puts out cheap launch prices and claims they source all their keys directly from the publisher.

Greenmangaming has a section for every game they sell telling you whether they source their keys from the publisher or from an "authorized distributor", which basically means they're getting their keys grey market style like cdkeys.

RS4-

CDKeys and Gamesplanet.

Re: the latter, I believe they have 3 sites for different countries, and sometimes they're all different prices.

A few months ago Borderlands 2 GOTY was like $5 on one site, but $20-40 on the other ones.

WaterAstro

Even if you don't get scammed, those sites contain cd-keys that were bought using stolen credit cards.

I wouldn't support those sites at all, and you run the risk of your key getting shut down later on.

Does anyone have any experience with Wingamestore? They've got some really good prices but I'm wary of sites I don't know. They are present in the Is There Any Deal price comparison tool though.

E: to contribute, I really like CDKeys. Excellent prices and they've been super reliable and seemingly scandal-free so far.

Rellik

Green man gaming isn't a key reseller, unlike g2a, cdkeus, etc. They get their keys directly from publishers unless something has changed from the site and I'm not aware

There's a guy who posts on here who sells keys to GMG and he's not a publisher. They get a lot from middle men like every other key site.

Another vote for CDKeys. I got Mafia III off them for around £23 or something like that before it had even come out.

warriorcase

Neo Member
There's a guy who posts on here who sells keys to GMG and he's not a publisher. They get a lot from middle men like every other key site.

Another vote for CDKeys. I got Mafia III off them for around £23 or something like that before it had even come out.

This. I can't speak from direct experience with working with GMG but I have worked with game distribution centers alot. GMG, cd keys and others just work with distributors which on average will have the codes sent to ypu on average 5 days before release to prep and distribute physicals if need be. I remember when cdprojekt said they where not distributing any key for witcher 3 and when GMG where selling them people where screaming scammers and all sorts of things, where in reality their distributor would of just sent them their order.

Most cd key sites work like this appart from G2A and Kinguin which is more of an Ebay than anything else where you should buy off someones rating and reputation only if you shop there.

I have seen others in forums say stuff like "If you want to support the developers, only buy off steam", and I can understand that train of thinking but steam also takes its odd 40% for their cut which is no more different then bulk selling to ditributors.

All in all im just trying to say that a good deal doesn't mean "scam" right away, it may just be that your not being charged the RRP because the seller does not need to or wants to be more competitive, a common thing seen in any retail store (physicalpr digital) where they use a different distributor to charge a cheaper price and stay profitable. Just be smart when looking at these things guys, and I still don't recommend it personally but if you use g2a or kinguin go off orders made and reputation.

Food for thought friends.

SenkiDala

Does anyone have any experience with Wingamestore? They've got some really good prices but I'm wary of sites I don't know. They are present in the Is There Any Deal price comparison tool though.

E: to contribute, I really like CDKeys. Excellent prices and they've been super reliable and seemingly scandal-free so far.

I've heard only good things about Wingamestore, it's a legit site, not like G2A, Instant Gaming, etc. I've been convinced so yesterday I bought my 1st game there: Dark Souls 3 with the season pass included: 33$.

Top Bottom