• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how do I make Bit Torrent faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_Tet

Banned
It truly is BIT torrent on my end. The torrent I've been trying to get for three days has been lucky to get over 4k a sec. Someone on another thread said that the ports weren't set correctly, can someone help me figure that out?

Also, it should be said that the torrent has about 10 peers and 8 seed seeding, and still it takes forever.

neptunes

not sure if this helps but if you have a firewall disable it.

and limit the speed of your uploads if they are faster than your download rate (don't disable them though ;))

Diablos

Even if you open the ports it still goes slow... I don't think BitTorrent will work at its best unless you are directly connected to your cable modem with no router in between.

On top of that BitTorrent is just plain slow. There is no centralized server, and there is no one client giving data to maybe like three people. It's a couple clients with tons of bandwidth giving distributing it to tons of people who then distribute it to others (with little to no uploading).

DJ_Tet

Banned
What is the fastest speeds people are getting? And what speed online are you?

I've got a 500kbp/s DSL line and at BEST am getting 4k. That's rediculous.

lordmrw

I've gotten 200 kilobytes, even up to 400 on some torrents. Thats usually when the newly subbed episodes of Naruto are released. It helps to use a different client then the regular bittorent, one that will give you all kinds of options, like Torrentstorm.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
lordmrw said:
I've gotten 200 kilobytes, even up to 400 on some torrents. Thats usually when the newly subbed episodes of Naruto are released. It helps to use a different client then the regular bittorent, one that will give you all kinds of options, like Torrentstorm.

Your computer directly connected to the modem?

There's nothing inherently slow about the bit torrent system. It all depends on your upload rate, how many seeders and peers there are for the file, and the chunk size of the file. My connection is 1500/384Kbs and I regulary get anywhere from 30-100+KBs. I usually upload at 35KBs while I'm downloading and then 40KBs when I'm just I'm seeding.

lordmrw

Suikoguy said:
Your computer directly connected to the modem?

yes indeed. My average is around 60-100 kilobytes. It works out great for me, as I can leave the computer on when I go to work, then when I come back for lunch break, its usually done.

siege

Banned
I average 20/kb down and 25/kb up. Thats pretty much the standard for me on every single torrent. I'm on a 2 meg cable line.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
siege said:
I average 20/kb down and 25/kb up. Thats pretty much the standard for me on every single torrent. I'm on a 2 meg cable line.

And is your computer directly to the modem?

Diablos

I think the fastest torrent I had was a Radiohead digital broadcast bootleg that went at like 300k/sec. And I'm behind a router.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
First off, use Azureus (you need Java JRE for that). It isn't as punishing about share ratios as other programs. Just seed later over time (and enjoy your download faster).

As others have mention, disable any firewalls. If you use Azureus, the status icons will be yellow all the time behind a firewall. The only benefit of firewalls is that it can block almost all pigning from unwanted company...

Make sure you cap your upload speed at least 10 % below your max upload speed. Otherwise it'll bog things down.

Unless your on a school network, and lucky enough to be unblocked, only have 1-3 torrents open at a time. Communicating with the tracker takes bandwidth is why.

Of course, if your connected to a slow tracker, or a torrent with a lot of leechers at 0 % or you have a bad connection, then it will be slow.

But given a good torrent, I can get 300 KB/s down with comcast (max 350 or so for my connection). And upload at 25 KB (max 30).

Have patience. It takes about 5 minutes to get things going.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
"I average 20/kb down and 25/kb up. Thats pretty much the standard for me on every single torrent. I'm on a 2 meg cable line."

Get Azureus. Sounds like your client is being strict about share ratios.

I could be wrong.

I remember when bittorrent first came out and I was unblocked on my school network. Those were the days...

I'd connect instantly and get 600 KB/sec with obscure stuff like Final Fantasy Tactics OST in like 15 secs. Took about 10 mins to download.

DJ_Tet

Banned
You guys are lucky. Torrents have been nothing but a headache for me thus far. Thanks for the tips but I think I'll stick with Kazaa. I've got no problem sharing, but for 4k/s it isn't really worth my time.

miyuru

Totally depends on the torrent for me. I've gone around 150kbps (max on our connection) all the way down to the 4 you speak of. We're behind a router on a 5 computer network, 1.5Mbps ADSL line.

Nikashi

Banned
holyshit.jpg

Shaw Xtreme-I

:)

DJ_Tet

Banned
Nikashi, feel free to send me a PM. I'm no where near your peers, speed, or seeds, and that is the BT I am trying to d/l.

Deg

Banned
Open up and set the right ports and set your connections and upload correctly. Too many connections and too high a upload will affect your download so balance accordingly.

Ecrofirt

Why do you guys get brand-new movies with BitTorrent? That's risky as hell.

IRC is much safer when it comes to new movies.

I'm on a crap connection (512/128k), but I usually max out my download and upload if I let it go unchecked. I usually try to keep my downloads at about 35k/s and my upload a 3k/s per file so I can still web browse okay. I almost always run 2, I used to run upwards of 6, but it was too resource intensive.

I'm also behind a firewall. When I first started I had the same speed problem as you DJ_Tet, but after accessing my router's config, I forwarded ports 6881 - 6891 to my network IP. If you have a router or something, try find any documentation that came with it (if you don't already know how to do it).

Trust me, 30 mins dicking around with your router's settings and researching networking info will be worth it.

I use Yet Another Bit Torrent Client, by the way. I highly recommend it.

SFA_AOK

I looked over my router's manual last night and couldn't find out how to forward ports - it does do it but whatever I need to do isn't called port forwarding in the manual. Any ideas what I should be looking for?

SFA_AOK

I think I've opened the ports... is there a way to test them? Obviously I'm connected to a adsl modem/router that connects me to the outside world. I tried running a firewall test at auditmypc.com but it said my ports were closed... not sure if that's because of the router or something. :confused:

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
wow I just forwarded my ports and my next torrent dl'ed at 5x the speed. Don't know what the hell I was waiting for. I use burst! as my client.

pestul

Ecrofirt said:
Why do you guys get brand-new movies with BitTorrent? That's risky as hell.

IRC is much safer when it comes to new movies.
What he said.. at least that's what my firewall logging tells me. Then again, I do live in Canada. My ISP is starting to block ports though.. :(

Oh, and Bitspirit is a nice client too. V2.6 is the newest one, but I won't link to it from work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom