• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, my rig is in a rice bag, what do you think my chances are?

Copper pipes and Air - all day, all night.

giphy.gif

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I'm surprised at the number of people avoiding water cooling due to fear of something like this. Is water cooling even less safe, statistically, then air?

I've had this exact thing happen before and it didn't kill the system. As others have said the liquid cooling fluid is usually mixed with chemicals to make it non-conductive. You might be in better shape than you realize.

BibiMaghoo

I'm surprised at the number of people avoiding water cooling due to fear of something like this. Is water cooling even less safe, statistically, then air?

Really? I don't know anything about water cooling PC's, but this strikes me as pretty obvious when dealing with electronics.

Considering air cooling has no liquid, they're safer by default. Large air coolers pose a problem in different ways. Overall though most people never have issues with AIO liquid setups.

OP: Contact Corsair. They should help you out

mkenyon

Banned
let it dry for AT LEAST a week before you even think about turning it on. 2 days is not enough.
This is a bit overblown.

If you can pull the heatsink off your motherboard and GPU, there shouldn't be any place that's obviously coated with water that you can't see. If you have a heatgun/blow dryer, just give the parts a little bit of time under that.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Had to rinse a PSP once after it got drowned in a sack of fizzy drink (an accident). To clarify, I had to disassemble the device, and rinse it in distilled water. It stayed in a rice bow for a few days after that. Only thing that I lost in the process was the LCD screen. Got a replacement which turned out to be a knock-off, but the PSP works to this day.

On the other hand, I've lost a cell phone or two in a matter of minutes after the device would come in contact with sea water. But that's not your case.

Skyzard

Banned
Thanks again everyone, I really do appreciate it. The Super HFE Electronics Cleaner looks good too, will look for a UK alternative.

I've contacted corsair with a ticket and will update this thread with the response.

I think I'm just going to leave the rest of it as is. Effort...just don't want to hassle with it. Spent so many hours getting it to where it was...anyway.

This is a bit overblown.

If you can pull the heatsink off your motherboard and GPU, there shouldn't be any place that's obviously coated with water that you can't see. If you have a heatgun/blow dryer, just give the parts a little bit of time under that.

Ah the thing is If I start doing that...I may lose warranty? I know it's not the water pump warranty...but I dunno. I kinda given up now. *picks up vita*

I've submitted a ticket to corsair, they say 1-2 business days to get a response. Hopefully get some clarification on what they will do by the weekend at least...if not then I'll fill a tub with rice and put my mobo and gpu bare in it for a few days.

mkenyon

Banned
No, that generally does not void your warranty. If you break something during the process, then yeah. If you're uncomfortable with the idea, then don't do it.

But if for some reason (extremely unlikely) corsair decides to be dbags, I'd highly suggest doing exactly what you're thinking.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Considering air cooling has no liquid, they're safer by default. Large air coolers pose a problem in different ways. Overall though most people never have issues with AIO liquid setups.

OP: Contact Corsair. They should help you out

Well, it's more dangerous to get on a bus than a plane, but many people are scared of planes because you are in the air. Some would say buses are grounded, so safer by default. But it's really not true.

That's what I'm talking about. Does having water cooling REALLY mean a higher chance your PC parts will incur damage of some kind?

That sucks OP. Hope Corsair come good for you, or you can get back up and running by other means.

If it's any consolation, I once spilled the best part of a pint of milk on my Mac and it survived. Hopefully you will be just as lucky.

Skyzard

Banned
Thanks guys. It's not the end of the world!... just my gaming one.
Will spend some more time with grandfather who just came to visit. But damn, some grid autosport or plants vs zombies would have been great, just got transferred at work this week. Shouldn't complain I guess but there you go :p

Can you give more detail from where the leak occurred from?

Finally have the flash:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2wydzvxl0ei3fpp/20140702_221243.jpg

The part where my finger is, that covering sheath (I referred to as the cable, it's more like a hose) - was about 1cm, maybe a little less, higher up - compared to the one on hose left. It was dripping from there, onto the GPU, sound card and maybe even PSU.

Yeah, they should absolutely cover that.

:D

ascully

Been using the H100I in my main rig since it was launched. Thing is rock solid and very quiet. I have never heard of one leak until today.

mkenyon

Banned
They're rare, but they do happen. Probably less frequently than someone physically spilling water over their PC, but increased risk is increased risk.

Krejlooc

Banned
Well, it's more dangerous to get on a bus than a plane, but many people are scared of planes because you are in the air. Some would say buses are grounded, so safer by default. But it's really not true.

That's what I'm talking about. Does having water cooling REALLY mean a higher chance your PC parts will incur damage of some kind?

How are you using chance in this case? Chance as in possibility? Then yes, there is a higher possibility that something catastrophic can happen, if only because there are more catastrophic things that could occur. Chance as in probability? Then likely no, because those multiple catastrophic things that could occur only happen rarely.

Acrylic7

same thing happened to me bro. Its dead man, its dead.

context! Some random ass ceiling leak. My room its pretty big and this little ass leak decides to drip right over the one thing that I dont want wet

Krejlooc

Banned
I can't believe this happened to a $700 video card. It's a funny coincidence that I just read about this happening to someone else a few days ago.

My heart really goes out to OP. I'd be devastated.

I have heard of corsair replacing an entire build before because of this. They had a string of h100 failures a long time ago they're trying to build good PR back from.

same thing happened to me bro. Its dead man, its dead.

context! Some random ass ceiling leak. My room its pretty big and this little ass leak decides to drip right over the one thing that I dont want wet

Looks like you had some horrendous dust issue in that case as well!

LilJoka

So the fitting which the Hose uses to connect to the pump has basically has fallen out from the block/pump assembly. Corsair should definalty sort this out for you because its again shoddy quality control, and im heavily advising people to stay away from their AIO's from now on, especially after my own has died from a pump problem. There stuff is not worth the hassle, i bet nearly every single one will die within the 5 year warranty. Their support forum is littered with issues from the pump all the way to the fans and LEDs.

jett

D-Member
Wow, that's some bad luck. And I'm in the PC thread complaining about coil whine. :p I wish you the best of luck with your rice bag mayne.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
If we are talking about water -> PC stories in general, I just had a scare last week.

Was removing a window AC unit from a window directly above my tower. I tipped the unit forward to get a better grip and prep for lifting and water ran from the back/inside to the front corner and splashed on top of my tower.

I quickly shoved the unit back into the window and turned off my PC and then surveyed the damage. Most of the water pooled in a depression on the back/top of the tower, but there was wetness all over the air holes near the mid/top as well.

I opened it up and saw a few water droplets on:
  • The top of the rear fan
  • Cooling unit cover that sits on the processor
  • Cooling hose
  • The top of my PSU casing
  • Exposed topside of GPU

I carefully dabbed up all the droplets on the plastic parts (95% of the water landed on plastic parts, miraculously). The few drops on my GPU had absorbed into the dust. I grounded myself and took the edge of a paper towel and dabbed the GPU. I then let it sit for the rest of the day, then used canned air to remove dust from the GPU.

I did one last rigorous inspection and then turned it on. That was a few weeks ago and I've had no problems whatsoever.

Overal, I feel really lucky, but I worry that residue left behind by some of the water on the GPU will cause me problems down the road. I guess the silver lining is that it's a 670 and I wouldn't mind going in for an upgrade. :p

bebop24

Banned
This is the reason why I go air cooling. I don't trust any set up that requires liquid to be near electronics.

velociraptor

Water cooling will always pose a risk. I had no idea these closed looped CPU water cooler also posed a risk.

Water cooling sounds like too much of a hassle and a headache to get right. :\

I would love to get my system water cooled - temps and noise levels are so low. But I'm also too much of a chicken to do it.

iNvid02

corsair have a compensation scheme for stuff like this if you can provide sufficient proof iirc

contact them asap but in the meantime just let it dry for as long as you can

SHADES

Damn shame Skyzard, that was a mighty fine build you had going there. Fingers crossed your warranty claim goes without hitch and you're back on your gaming feet once more.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah, not a big water fan on this generation of Intel chips.

Performance gains are very low for the cost due to chip -> IHS thermals and I have a 280mm rad on mine.

psn

Same happened to me but with a different system, water leaked and was on top of the GPU. Dried it and the GPU worked a few weeks, wasn't clean enough I guess.

No more water cooling for me.

DarkFlow

Banned
lol, water cooling.

You already had the capability of maxing out games on that system.
Water-cooling was just icing on the e-peen.

Sorry to hear about your mishap; but next time make a more practical cooling setup.
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Anyway OP, it sounds like you might have shorted it before the pipe burst from the leak since you said it would not turn on. Keep it in the rice for awhile, like a week then give it another go. If still nothing, just see what corsair will cover and hope for the best.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
thats why closed loops scare me, just sticking with my 212 lol

You should be more afraid of high end water cooling which users reservoirs. Closed loop has some of the inherent risks but they are much lower and even more controlled as you buy it and install it as easily if not easier than an air solution.

I had those thoughts but to a lesser extent prior to getting my first closed loop cooler but not issues after 1.5 years on this h100i which is cooling a 3930k at 4.7ghz very well.

DarkFlow

Banned
I once had my GF spill a small amount of Dr Pepper right into the fan slot on top of my HAF 912. I was standing right there when it happened and bolted for the off switch on the PSU then yanked the cord. Luckily it only got the GPU a little and after about 20 mins of blow drying it was good as new.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This is the reason why I go air cooling. I don't trust any set up that requires liquid to be near electronics.

Not even Mineral Oil?

I've heard of some people cleaning dust/dusting their parts with a similar method. Put it in a rubbing alcohol or mineral oil bath then let it completely dry. Seemed too crazy like that mineral oil stuff for me.

k3rn3ll

Neo Member
Do repair and fix liquid damage units all the time. You might get lucky and have iy still run but you will definitely have some problems from time to time. Thats the best case scenario. 98% chance yoi got some parts to replace. But if it wasnt running at the time you got a little better odds

Nif

I knocked over half of a bottled water straight into the top fan of my case once. Fell right in and over my CPU and GPU. I swear I smelled smoke and immediately turned everything off. Took it apart and dried each component, put it back together an hour later and it's been working fine ever since (3-4 years later).

I would still recommend playing it safe, but don't give up hope.

If we are talking about water -> PC stories in general, I just had a scare last week.

Was removing a window AC unit from a window directly above my tower. I tipped the unit forward to get a better grip and prep for lifting and water ran from the back/inside to the front corner and splashed on top of my tower.

I quickly shoved the unit back into the window and turned off my PC and then surveyed the damage. Most of the water pooled in a depression on the back/top of the tower, but there was wetness all over the air holes near the mid/top as well.

I opened it up and saw a few water droplets on:
  • The top of the rear fan
  • Cooling unit cover that sits on the processor
  • Cooling hose
  • The top of my PSU casing
  • Exposed topside of GPU

I carefully dabbed up all the droplets on the plastic parts (95% of the water landed on plastic parts, miraculously). The few drops on my GPU had absorbed into the dust. I grounded myself and took the edge of a paper towel and dabbed the GPU. I then let it sit for the rest of the day, then used canned air to remove dust from the GPU.

I did one last rigorous inspection and then turned it on. That was a few weeks ago and I've had no problems whatsoever.

Overal, I feel really lucky, but I worry that residue left behind by some of the water on the GPU will cause me problems down the road. I guess the silver lining is that it's a 670 and I wouldn't mind going in for an upgrade. :p

leoinceptioneyes.jpg

This scares the crap out of me. I have a sealed liquid cooler on my CPU and I pray that it never comes loose... especially since I just dumped another $1100 into upgrading my PC

Cerity

I've had plenty of spills from my loop, it's generally not a thing to be too worried about unless you've used straight tap water or something.

With my initial loop, I was using barbs without any form of clamps, after a little while the tubing began to "fit" the barbs due to the heat and one night the pressure from the pump sent the tubing flying off one of the fittings. Fair bit of coolant over most of my components. Rinsed it through with de-ionised/ distilled water, let it dry and was fine. Moved to compression fittings after that.

Another time, was just doing general cleaning of the loop, decided to skip the leak test and turns out I didn't tighten one of the fittings over my cpu block enough. Coolant ended up all over my graphics card and motherboard. Rinsed through with DI water and let it dry. Working fine and dandy since. Quit a few more stories. Still gives me a bit of a scare each time it happens but it's just a case of handling it properly.

I haven't heard too many great stories of corsair dealing with any of the resulting damage from their loops breaking, granted this was about the time when they first launched the h50. Not sure about now.

Rafterman

Banned
lol, water cooling.

You already had the capability of maxing out games on that system.
Water-cooling was just icing on the e-peen.

Sorry to hear about your mishap; but next time make a more practical cooling setup.

Derp, derp.

Don't be ridiculous. The H series is as practical as it gets for CPU cooling, you've obviously never seen them. And it's not about e-peen it's about overclocking, which can drastically improve performance, without needing either a blowdryer, a giant heatsink, or a traditional water system cooling your CPU.

The odds of these things leaking are slim, the Op is just unlucky. I've been using these since they first came out and never a drip.

Pachimari

Good luck OP!

3 months ago I finished building my own rig with a 780, only to realize drops came out of the bottom. The Corsair H60 had leaked water everywhere - luckily for me it was turned off but drying didn't help, thankfully the shop I bought my parts from replaced the damaged parts for free.

I hope the best for you.

Top Bottom